Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day 19:41 - Jun 5 with 5448 viewsCountyJim

Thank you to all our brave lads that gave so much
D Day on 19:49 - Jun 5 with 2272 viewstreboethjack

The older guy on the right was a member of a parachute regiment and at 89 he re-did the jump today! Incredible and respect to him.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

D Day on 19:55 - Jun 5 with 2261 viewsFlashberryjack

Brave, Brave young men, when I think of what was going through their minds as the doors of the landing craft fell down, or when they parachuted out of their planes........I'm no coward, but I think I would have sh*t myself.
Their bravery and sacrifice should never be forgotten.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

D Day on 20:11 - Jun 5 with 2249 viewsLord_Bony

70 years ago today.

Total respect for those brave allied men and women who sacrificed so much in the fight against fascism.

They literally saved the world as we know it ...will always be remembered.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

D Day on 21:25 - Jun 5 with 2202 viewsOldjack

it had to be done

R.I.P. Brave ones

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

D Day on 22:25 - Jun 5 with 2156 viewsDavillin

On this anniversary of one of the most fateful days in the history of the world, I thought I’d give you some of the most hauntingly sad songs of World War II. I was a boy when these songs were first popular, and to this day they are still heart-breaking to remember. I cannot sing along with most of them because after 70 years they still choke me up.

As you listen, try to imagine yourself in the part of a G.I. talking to his girl friend not knowing what will be his fate, or a woman talking to her G.I. boyfriend who is somewhere where she doesn’t even know he is, but knows that he is either in battle or about to be.

“I Don’t Want to Walk Without You”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Walk.mp3

“I’ll be With you in Apple Blossom Time”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Apple.mp3

“Saturday Night is the Loneliest Night of the Week”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Saturday.mp3

“I’ll be Home for Christmas”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Christmas.mp3

“I’ll Never Smile Again”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Smile.mp3

“The White Cliffs of Dover”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Dover.mp3

“We’ll Meet Again”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Meet.mp3

“When the Lights Go On Again”

http://www.davillin.info/WW2Lights.mp3
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 22:35]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

D Day on 22:33 - Jun 5 with 2138 viewsJackoBoostardo

Incredible feats performed by our troops during D-Day. True heroes, every one of them.

And let's not forget our current soldiers who are also expected to lay their lives down on the line in our name.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

D Day on 10:07 - Jun 6 with 2079 viewsSwanzay

Respect, indeed to all!
D Day on 10:23 - Jun 6 with 2071 viewsCatullus

The old soldier in the op's picture is Jock Hutton. I watched his jump and the interview after.
He was asked if he had any nerves about doing todays jump, he answered " nerves, what nerves?"
If you had jumped out of a plane, under heavy fire and into an area thick with Axis troops all trying to kill you, a tandem jump on a nice sunny day is a piece of p*ss. Even at 89!!

My grandfather took part in D-Day. Sadly he died 40 years ago. But all of those men and women, every single on is a hero.
I have heard many of them say that the survivors aren't heroes, the one's who didn't come back are the real heroes.
But to me, all of them without any exceptions, are eternal heroes of the fight against tyranny.

My son is 5, too young yet to understand it. In a few years though, I shall be letting him watch certain war films (those that stick more closely to the truth or depict war as it really is) and hopefully we shall make a trip to the battlefields one day.

I don't do religion, I don't sing hymns at weddings or funerals. But if I was there today, out of respect for what they did, I would sing my heart out.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

D Day on 10:29 - Jun 6 with 2067 viewsepaul

Absolute respect to the men who fought and died and beat facism, we wouldn't have todays freedoms if it wasn't for them

Long may they be remembered and saluted

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

D Day on 11:20 - Jun 6 with 2055 viewsCatullus

D Day on 21:25 - Jun 5 by Oldjack

it had to be done

R.I.P. Brave ones

I have just watched this link.

It is a stark reminder of how badly things could have gone if just a few things were changed.
1/ If Churchill hadn't persuaded the Americans they needed to become involved (and then the japanese attack compelling military action) up to that point a lot of Americans were isolationists, they didn't see it as their problem and were happy staying clear.
2/ If Hitler hadn't attacked Russia. They had forged a pact and Hitler broke it, if he hadn't all those troops on the eastern front would have thrown against the invasion and it would probably have failed.
3/ The weather had been too bad. In that case the invasion would have been off for another year. The Atlantic wall defences would have been finished and all the troops drawn in by the invasion would have faced Russia.
4/Ultimately it was Hitlers mental condition, his descent into madness some would say and the fact he stopped listening to his Generals and Field Marshalls. Germany had some incredibly talented officers. Not for nothing were they considered the opposite to the British Army, we were lions led by donkeys but the Germans were led by lions and their troops were no donkeys either.
Just change those 4 things and the world could be a very different place.

The Normandy landings were bad enough as it was. Watching the old soldiers today is an emotional experience. For most of them, today will be their last trip, most of them are past 90.
They still stand proud. But the look on the face of one of them as the last post was played, well it said everything, so much sadness in his eyes for fallen comrades but the fighting spirit is still there.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

D Day on 11:24 - Jun 6 with 2052 viewsLord_Bony

I m just about to watch Saving Private Ryan ,prob seen it about 50 times now.

This gives a real picture of the horrors of D day,if anyone thinks war is glamorous take a look at this film and what those young men went through,a lot of them fresh out of school and college.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

D Day on 17:12 - Jun 6 with 2009 viewsOldjack

D Day on 11:20 - Jun 6 by Catullus

I have just watched this link.

It is a stark reminder of how badly things could have gone if just a few things were changed.
1/ If Churchill hadn't persuaded the Americans they needed to become involved (and then the japanese attack compelling military action) up to that point a lot of Americans were isolationists, they didn't see it as their problem and were happy staying clear.
2/ If Hitler hadn't attacked Russia. They had forged a pact and Hitler broke it, if he hadn't all those troops on the eastern front would have thrown against the invasion and it would probably have failed.
3/ The weather had been too bad. In that case the invasion would have been off for another year. The Atlantic wall defences would have been finished and all the troops drawn in by the invasion would have faced Russia.
4/Ultimately it was Hitlers mental condition, his descent into madness some would say and the fact he stopped listening to his Generals and Field Marshalls. Germany had some incredibly talented officers. Not for nothing were they considered the opposite to the British Army, we were lions led by donkeys but the Germans were led by lions and their troops were no donkeys either.
Just change those 4 things and the world could be a very different place.

The Normandy landings were bad enough as it was. Watching the old soldiers today is an emotional experience. For most of them, today will be their last trip, most of them are past 90.
They still stand proud. But the look on the face of one of them as the last post was played, well it said everything, so much sadness in his eyes for fallen comrades but the fighting spirit is still there.

If indeed , so many if's, i just glad we did what had to be done at just the right time

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

D Day on 17:47 - Jun 6 with 1991 viewsLord_Bony

Lest we forget...

D Day on 18:16 - Jun 6 with 1965 viewsOldjack

D Day on 17:47 - Jun 6 by Lord_Bony

Lest we forget...

They interviewed a German solider who was on a machine gun that day at Omaha beach ,not one yank got off the landing craft alive as it opened up it's doors right in front of him ,he was almost in tears for he mowed down hundreds in front of him

D Day on 18:25 - Jun 6 with 1952 viewsSkewenMitch

I''m in Normandy on hols. Today we went to Canadian cemetery at Bretteville sur Laize. 2958 buried there youngest was 16. Very humbling
D Day on 18:35 - Jun 6 with 1943 viewsC_jack

What do Germans do today? Celebrate the event that likely resulted in the death of their ancestors?

Genuine question.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

D Day on 18:47 - Jun 6 with 1930 viewsOldjack

D Day on 18:35 - Jun 6 by C_jack

What do Germans do today? Celebrate the event that likely resulted in the death of their ancestors?

Genuine question.

Any sensible ones would be ashamed of their ancestors and try to forget ,i'd imagine

D Day on 19:17 - Jun 6 with 1918 viewsOldjack

Bless im http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086

D Day on 19:35 - Jun 6 with 1908 viewsexiledclaseboy

D Day on 18:35 - Jun 6 by C_jack

Genuine question.

Angela Merkel was at one of the ceremonies today, on Sword Beach. No idea if Germany does anything as a nation. I doubt it.

Poll: Tory leader

D Day on 19:38 - Jun 6 with 1904 viewsFlashberryjack

D Day on 18:47 - Jun 6 by Oldjack

Any sensible ones would be ashamed of their ancestors and try to forget ,i'd imagine

That is exactly what I would have thought.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

D Day on 20:04 - Jun 6 with 1895 viewsCatullus

D Day on 19:17 - Jun 6 by Oldjack

Bless im http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086

You can't keep a Normandy veteran down!

I loved that, good on him.

D Day on 20:14 - Jun 6 with 1887 viewsOldjack

Then and now http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/06/d-day-landing-sites-pictures_n_545802

D Day on 20:48 - Jun 6 with 1870 viewsJackoBoostardo

D Day on 17:47 - Jun 6 by Lord_Bony

Lest we forget...

Although the scene was depicted as realistic - and many survivors of the landings have said so (if not worse), the movie itself was another Americanised war-movie. The true story involved British soldiers, NOT American.

Very similiar to the movie U571 that related to the capture of the Enigma device that changed the tide of the war, shortening it by at least 4 years and saving millions of lives. The movie again relates to American troops storming a German U-Boat to capture the device. In fact it was the British who did this (which was how Turing managed to code-break the device).

American war movies are an insult to the truth. But many soldiers attempted to storm that beach knowing full well they were in direct line of fire.... it takes balls of steel, guts and true courage in the face of what is to come...

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

D Day on 21:40 - Jun 6 with 1844 viewsDavillin

D Day on 20:48 - Jun 6 by JackoBoostardo

Although the scene was depicted as realistic - and many survivors of the landings have said so (if not worse), the movie itself was another Americanised war-movie. The true story involved British soldiers, NOT American.

Very similiar to the movie U571 that related to the capture of the Enigma device that changed the tide of the war, shortening it by at least 4 years and saving millions of lives. The movie again relates to American troops storming a German U-Boat to capture the device. In fact it was the British who did this (which was how Turing managed to code-break the device).

American war movies are an insult to the truth. But many soldiers attempted to storm that beach knowing full well they were in direct line of fire.... it takes balls of steel, guts and true courage in the face of what is to come...

It's posts like this one that make me wonder why you don't just ban everything "American" from British shores.

Be more like the French for once, for god's sake!

I have a book entitled War Movies by Jay Hyams, which I bought in 1964, when I made a list of all of the movies in that book that I had seen -- that is as of 1964.

Curiously enough, there were 60.

Your review of "American War Movies" is an insult to the truth.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

D Day on 21:46 - Jun 6 with 1837 viewspansypants

D Day on 21:40 - Jun 6 by Davillin

It's posts like this one that make me wonder why you don't just ban everything "American" from British shores.

Be more like the French for once, for god's sake!

I have a book entitled War Movies by Jay Hyams, which I bought in 1964, when I made a list of all of the movies in that book that I had seen -- that is as of 1964.

Curiously enough, there were 60.

Your review of "American War Movies" is an insult to the truth.

We are talking about FACT not movies FFS

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024