Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This thing of no money to spend......... 13:37 - Nov 22 with 5850 viewsbluenile

The way I see it is this. We can't afford NOT to buy a striker who will score goals in the 2nd half of the season. If HJ thinks we will stay up with the forward line as it is, then he's not the man I thought he was. Don't go all cheap on us Huwbert, you know what we need, and yes, I am aware the midfield is not performing, but I believe we can sort that, but no shots on target again in the 2nd half of yesterday's game says it all really. Oh and please ask a few of the players to press and tackle a bit............Christ on a bike!!

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:31 - Nov 22 with 2527 viewseddie71

Agreed and for my money it should be Charlie Austin.

How anyone thinks we can go the rest of the season with Gomis and Eder is beyond me.
This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:43 - Nov 22 with 2493 viewsjackjackjackjack

Yes, signing Charlie Austin, I bet no other club near the bottom of the table have thought of that. Should be able to get him cheap.

According to the bookies Bournemouth are favourites to sign Austin. Though Austin himself has said he doesn't want to sign for a club involved in a relegation scrap.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:45 - Nov 22 with 2484 viewsperchrockjack

Seems players we ve bought are poor.

Also the bony profit spent on training facilities ,

Stinks

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:48 - Nov 22 with 2470 viewsChrisSCFC

It'll be a sad day when Charlie signs for one of our rivals.
This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:49 - Nov 22 with 2457 viewsDr_Winston

This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:45 - Nov 22 by perchrockjack

Seems players we ve bought are poor.

Also the bony profit spent on training facilities ,

Stinks

Are you suggesting that investing in the future of the club stinks?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:58 - Nov 22 with 2425 viewsperchrockjack

First, I'm flattered to have a post to me from you free from spite. To answer your question, priority for me, is to stay up this season. It looks we will not.

Future? Well, I d first sign players of proven quality who can deliver, unlike Eder, tabanou and have the players somehow manage training in simpler facilities.

These players seem not to be worthy of the very best training facilities which have hardly shown the benefits on the pitch.

Thanks for your input.

Now ,what should the club do now.

Remember you re the man we look to as we know feckall.

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:04 - Nov 22 with 2405 viewsAnotherJohn

This thing of no money to spend......... on 14:49 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

Are you suggesting that investing in the future of the club stinks?

All I'd say is that there are timing issues that make talk of investment vs splashing the cash a bit simplistic. With the amount of TV money about to come on stream, any club surviving in the EPL for the next five years will have money enough to build training facilities. On the other hand, a scenario where we put our money into Fairwood and Landore but get relegated, might not look so clever if we find ourselves in the Championship for the next five years. I know that several PS posters have questioned whether there really is a 'step change' in funding, as opposed to gradual uplift every year. In general these are the same posters who said we had strength enough up front and couldn't afford competition for Gomis.
This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:09 - Nov 22 with 2384 viewsDavillin

Swansea City AFC have 500 -- five hundred -- FIVE HUNDRED employees?!?!?!?

That was posted by someone yesterday.

If, Heaven forfend, Swansea City are relegated, how many of those will still be employed here? Well, that's closer to the number we should have now.

[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 15:13]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Login to get fewer ads

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:14 - Nov 22 with 2361 viewsDr_Winston

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:04 - Nov 22 by AnotherJohn

All I'd say is that there are timing issues that make talk of investment vs splashing the cash a bit simplistic. With the amount of TV money about to come on stream, any club surviving in the EPL for the next five years will have money enough to build training facilities. On the other hand, a scenario where we put our money into Fairwood and Landore but get relegated, might not look so clever if we find ourselves in the Championship for the next five years. I know that several PS posters have questioned whether there really is a 'step change' in funding, as opposed to gradual uplift every year. In general these are the same posters who said we had strength enough up front and couldn't afford competition for Gomis.

I'm one of the ones who thought we had strength enough upfront. I still do. What we lack is a cohesive, attacking game plan designed to get the best out of not only them, but the rest of the squad.

A team containing the likes of Siggy, Gomis, Ayew, Montero, Shelvey, Ki and even Routledge should not be going ten games with only seven goals scored.

As far as funding goes, the idea that we should always spend heavily on the team to the detriment of facilities has always been absurdly short termist. If we'd gotten to the PL and by this point not developed an academy or our own training ground then we'd have failed as a club.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:16 - Nov 22 with 2349 viewsblaine_scfc

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:09 - Nov 22 by Davillin

If, Heaven forfend, Swansea City are relegated, how many of those will still be employed here? Well, that's closer to the number we should have now.

Hence why posts such as "I hope we get relegated" do my nut in so much. Players make enough dollar not to give a f*ck, others don't.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 15:16]
This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:54 - Nov 22 with 2267 viewsdobjack2

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:14 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

I'm one of the ones who thought we had strength enough upfront. I still do. What we lack is a cohesive, attacking game plan designed to get the best out of not only them, but the rest of the squad.

A team containing the likes of Siggy, Gomis, Ayew, Montero, Shelvey, Ki and even Routledge should not be going ten games with only seven goals scored.

As far as funding goes, the idea that we should always spend heavily on the team to the detriment of facilities has always been absurdly short termist. If we'd gotten to the PL and by this point not developed an academy or our own training ground then we'd have failed as a club.

I'm one that thought we were taking a big risk up front with just Gomis and Eder whose goalscoring record in Portugal did not inspire confidence, but that said agree that the return from the players that you have mentioned is substantially less than needed.

Balance of team is wrong and just about everyone in the crowd knows that. for me ayew is unbalancing the right side and siggy, shelvey unbalancing the middle. Don't know what to do with Ayew and neither does Garry, midfield to me is Leon/cork siggy and one other. JJS getting capped is the worst thing that happened to us. For some reason Garry thought he was a better DM than either Leon or Cork and now that Garry has finally twigged that he isnt he is preferring him to Siggy as AM.

Booking makes it easier for the next game.
This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:56 - Nov 22 with 2262 viewstomdickharry

Aston Villa have had one of the grandest training facilities in the PL for years even before Lerner became Chairman and he invested E£13M in upgrade. Investment should be in quality on the field first and foremost,if we haven't any money to spend in the Jan window what cash flow projections do we do, any?
This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:57 - Nov 22 with 2258 viewsAnotherJohn

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:54 - Nov 22 by dobjack2

I'm one that thought we were taking a big risk up front with just Gomis and Eder whose goalscoring record in Portugal did not inspire confidence, but that said agree that the return from the players that you have mentioned is substantially less than needed.

Balance of team is wrong and just about everyone in the crowd knows that. for me ayew is unbalancing the right side and siggy, shelvey unbalancing the middle. Don't know what to do with Ayew and neither does Garry, midfield to me is Leon/cork siggy and one other. JJS getting capped is the worst thing that happened to us. For some reason Garry thought he was a better DM than either Leon or Cork and now that Garry has finally twigged that he isnt he is preferring him to Siggy as AM.

(Sorry - lots of posts in a minute or two. This is a reply to Doc's post.)

The mention of 'timing' in my post and the accompanying argument were intended to show that this short-term/long term dichotomy is misleading. One might argue that the long-term solution is to make sure we get the increased TV money.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 16:01]
This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:01 - Nov 22 with 2233 viewsDr_Winston

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:54 - Nov 22 by dobjack2

We had Gomis, a Portuguese International in Eder and Ayew who is also capable of playing upfront. A fourth striker would have been an unnecessary and expensive drain, and that's in a side not playing like they've just met each other on a night out. In the current circumstances they'd be less use than Wayne Routledge's left foot.

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:06 - Nov 22 with 2221 viewsDr_Winston

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:57 - Nov 22 by AnotherJohn

(Sorry - lots of posts in a minute or two. This is a reply to Doc's post.)

The mention of 'timing' in my post and the accompanying argument were intended to show that this short-term/long term dichotomy is misleading. One might argue that the long-term solution is to make sure we get the increased TV money.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 16:01]

But there's usually an increased TV deal just around the corner. If you plan your business around making sure you're there for them then you'll never get anything else done.

The board are worthy of criticism in some areas but definitely not in this one. Passing all our PL cash into the pockets of players, agents (and themselves admittedly) without ensuring that a fair chunk of it went into legacy bricks and mortar would have been folly.

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:19 - Nov 22 with 2179 viewsDarran

This thing of no money to spend......... on 15:09 - Nov 22 by Davillin

That's only on a match day though Shirley?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 16:20]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:32 - Nov 22 with 2139 viewsdobjack2

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:01 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

We had Gomis, a Portuguese International in Eder and Ayew who is also capable of playing upfront. A fourth striker would have been an unnecessary and expensive drain, and that's in a side not playing like they've just met each other on a night out. In the current circumstances they'd be less use than Wayne Routledge's left foot.

That only works if Ayew being played up front is a viable option. Take your point but the fact that Eder is an international holds as much water as saying that Schecter is an Israeli international. Both facts but doesn't necessarily make them good options for us up front.
This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:39 - Nov 22 with 2111 viewsRancid

I'm sure we could find the 8m if it was Charlie Austin we wanted to bring in.Whether we would is a different thing.
This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:39 - Nov 22 with 2103 viewsperchrockjack

Vinnie Jones was an international and a captain too...of our country.

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:43 - Nov 22 with 2077 viewsDr_Winston

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:32 - Nov 22 by dobjack2

That only works if Ayew being played up front is a viable option. Take your point but the fact that Eder is an international holds as much water as saying that Schecter is an Israeli international. Both facts but doesn't necessarily make them good options for us up front.

He wouldn't have been first choice but he can do it. For one position three options is ample.

Being a Portuguese International holds a bit more water than being an Israeli one I'd say.

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:44 - Nov 22 with 2070 viewsDarran

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:43 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

He wouldn't have been first choice but he can do it. For one position three options is ample.

Being a Portuguese International holds a bit more water than being an Israeli one I'd say.

If you're Ronaldo yeah.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 16:45]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:45 - Nov 22 with 2066 viewsNookiejack

Bournemouth were much better than us but you would not think many of them would get into our starting team.

So is it really a question of investment rather that our manager isn't currently getting enough out of our current squad?
This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:46 - Nov 22 with 2056 viewsMillie

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:39 - Nov 22 by Rancid

I'm sure we could find the 8m if it was Charlie Austin we wanted to bring in.Whether we would is a different thing.

We'd find it that for sure, all a git by all accounts but would jermaine Defoe or Steven Fletcher be a short term answer?
This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:57 - Nov 22 with 2022 viewsAnotherJohn

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:43 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

Playing Ayew in the middle upfront is just about the only card Garry has still to play. I'd like to see it tried, but am doubtful that it would work. I was looking at some old web pages about Marseille and FC Lorient, and Ayew was played mainly as a right winger or occasionally as a support striker in a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. I cannot see that he was ever played as a lone striker or target man. He wore 8 and 10, but not 9. I think you are wrong to say that Gomis, Eder and Ayew were seen by the management as three options for the 9 position. It was just the first two, with Emnes as a utility forward who might also be played upfront in an emergency (as was tried in pre-season).
[Post edited 22 Nov 2015 17:00]
This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:58 - Nov 22 with 2019 viewsjack247

This thing of no money to spend......... on 16:01 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

2 strikers and a winger capable of filling in there is enough if they all score goals and create chances.

Gomis started the season superbly, but has looked inept for the best part of 3 months. Hard to judge Eder on a few cameos and 1 start, but I don't think it surprised anyone that he couldn't get into the game yesterday. Ayew possibly, but I'd imagine he is more suited to playing with a strike partner than as a lone frontman.

Charlie Austin may not be the answer, but I don't think anyone currently at the club is either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024