Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At least it's not dull 10:38 - Mar 20 with 1040 viewsPegojack

I didn't know which thread to join in with to talk about yesterday's game, so I thought I'd start my own.

I never subscribed to the theory that this game would be a formality, we are talking about the Swans after all, and so it came to pass. Villa refused to play the part of disinterested relegation fodder and actually had the cheek to give us a game. This ordinarily wouldn't have been a problem but, given Guidolin's bizarre starting line up and our understandable nervousness, it quickly became apparent that we had a potential disaster on our hands.

The decision to flood the midfield at the expense of width on the left, leaving a young inexperienced full back constantly on his own without support, was soon exposed as a giant faux pas. The Swans players seemed to be running round like headless chickens chasing the ball, giving it away on the few occasions we did have it, not settling into any recognisable formation, failing to mark or make tackles, and generally looking as nervous as a fat boy at a cannibal's convention.

How we made it to half time without conceding is still a mystery. I'm grateful that Guidolin saw things the same as me, namely that we needed the brilliance of Leon Britton to get a grip on midfield, to calm things down and start to move the ball quicker. However, if it wasn't for Brad Guzan's eccentricity, I think we wouldn't have scored and claimed the three points if we were still playing now.

My player ratings:

Fab (7) - didn't have much to do, but did it well when called on, erasing the memory of his nightmare against the Cherries.

Kingsley (8) - another impressive display by the young man, considering he was constantly fed the ball on the left with no outlet for a pass forward. It was to his credit that he managed to get some decent crosses in and vary rarely lost possession. Solid defending in the main too.

Ash (8) - another captain's performance, brilliant defending, always getting stuck in where it hurt.

Fede (7) - finally got his goal, courageous too as he stuck his head in when there was every possibility of getting it knocked off, but he had a torrid time in defence against Gestede, who won virtually every challenge in the air.

Rangel (5) - in the first 30 minutes he looked as if his head had gone, constantly gave the ball away, failed to make tackles and generally didn't know what day it was, but thankfully eventually settled down into something more like his normal self. Recent performances have suggested he's approaching his sell by date though, despite him being a Swans legend and a lovely bloke.

Ki (5) - another who was off the pace and didn't seem to know what his role was, although I blame that more on the boss. Hasn't been the same since his concussion at WBA, what's going on with him?

Cork (6) - seemed to be trying too hard much of the time and losing possession through misunderstandings and getting in other player's way, missed some key tackles too.

Fer (5.5) - beginning to see why other team's fans got frustrated with him, has a very languid style which looks like he's not trying. He was neat and tidy on the ball but a bit disappointed that he never really got forward into threatening positions. Gave away some silly free kicks too with rash challenges from behind when chasing opponents.

Siggy (7) - the work rate of this guy is unbelievable and we will owe him so much if we do survive. Was all over the field from minute one to minute ninety four, urging on his colleagues and busting a gut to cover. Shame he didn't have his shooting boots on but he delivered a beauty of a free kick for the goal.

Barrow (7) - great to see this guy fulfilling his potential. Still has flaws in his game, but his raw pace and skill on the ball is a joy to watch and he was our only player who had the Villa crapping themselves. We didn't feed him enough to make the best of him yesterday.

Go-miss (6) - a curate's egg of a performance, I was pleased that he held the ball up well many times and showed excellent physicality against Lescott. However, his failure to work as hard as his colleagues in the second half gave the impression of a man going through the motions. I'd forgive him if he was actually a goal threat, but he doesn't put himself in good positions to attack the ball in the penalty area and seems to have lost the ability to run at people and get shots way. Will be glad to see the back of him in the summer.

Subs:
Leon (9) - a superb contribution, displayed his class when all around were losing their heads. Looks like he could carry on for another two seasons, but what will we do when he finally hangs up his boots?

Naughton (7) - looked solid and made a good contribution. Must start before Rangel in next game.

Routledge - not on long enough for mark.

Other talking points:
Bizarre decision to take off Barrow and replace him with a fullback, is Guidolin too defensive minded? He would say no, we got the three points, but should we be conceding the attacking initiative to the bottom of the league team at home?

Mike Dean was superb - enough said.

Fairly impressed with Gestede - should we be making a cheeky bid in the summer? A realistic alternative to Bony, Pelle or Benteke, given our resources and status? He is big, physical and led the Villa line well. Just the type of player we need to fit in with our team and the way we play.

And finally, this relegation battle isn't over. Mark my words.
At least it's not dull on 13:30 - Mar 20 with 969 viewsA_Fans_Dad

An interesting summary, I think your marks my be a little high.
At least it's not dull on 13:33 - Mar 20 with 959 viewsPegojack

At least it's not dull on 13:30 - Mar 20 by A_Fans_Dad

An interesting summary, I think your marks my be a little high.

You might be right, on reflection!

In the context of the match I thought they were fair, but in the context of an average Premiership game, you could probably knock 2 points off everybody....
At least it's not dull on 13:37 - Mar 20 with 949 viewsPhil_S

WHen you say Mike Dean was superb I assume you mean aside from watching him bottle the only real decision he was asked to make?
At least it's not dull on 13:43 - Mar 20 with 927 viewsPegojack

At least it's not dull on 13:37 - Mar 20 by Phil_S

WHen you say Mike Dean was superb I assume you mean aside from watching him bottle the only real decision he was asked to make?

As I said in another thread, if you watch it on MOTD, the tackle was a borderline foul, the lad actually got his toe on the ball, despite the whole Liberty screaming for blood and Barrow going down like he'd been poleaxed.

Good refs, unlike someone of the ilk of Lee Mason for example, don't get swayed by crowd reaction and make a calm, considered judgement.
At least it's not dull on 13:55 - Mar 20 with 903 viewsPhil_S

At least it's not dull on 13:43 - Mar 20 by Pegojack

As I said in another thread, if you watch it on MOTD, the tackle was a borderline foul, the lad actually got his toe on the ball, despite the whole Liberty screaming for blood and Barrow going down like he'd been poleaxed.

Good refs, unlike someone of the ilk of Lee Mason for example, don't get swayed by crowd reaction and make a calm, considered judgement.

Maybe but at the same time the moment he has deemed it a foul then the nature of it made it a yellow card offence

He bottled it and everyone knows he did
At least it's not dull on 13:59 - Mar 20 with 884 viewsexiledclaseboy

First half yesterday was about as dull as Premier League football gets I'd say.

Poll: Tory leader

At least it's not dull on 14:18 - Mar 20 with 857 viewsHumpty

At least it's not dull on 13:43 - Mar 20 by Pegojack

It was a nailed on second yellow. He was being skinned. Again.
At least it's not dull on 20:18 - Mar 20 with 710 viewsvetchonian

At least it's not dull on 14:18 - Mar 20 by Humpty

It was a nailed on second yellow. He was being skinned. Again.

Maybe that's why Franco took off Mo to save Mr Dean dishing out any more yellows or even a red

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Login to get fewer ads

At least it's not dull on 20:25 - Mar 20 with 686 viewsjackportis

At least it's not dull on 13:55 - Mar 20 by Phil_S

Maybe but at the same time the moment he has deemed it a foul then the nature of it made it a yellow card offence

He bottled it and everyone knows he did

Why don't you kick off with the 4th official? Ask them if they know who u are! Or are u in the hospitality lounge. No good writing about it on here. Thanks.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024