Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. 21:11 - Mar 22 with 3608 viewswestside

Seen the new Hitachi train coming into Swansea station and new Landore Rail Depot today on a test run.

Really smart sleek modern looking train with red engine with white carriages. Carriages have digital displays along the side.

Really quite train and you could hardly hear any noise especially compared to the old 125's.

Some video here :-
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/one-fancy-new-trains-set-12779998
New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:17 - Mar 22 with 3232 viewsCooperman

What use is a 5 carriage train when the current 8 or 9 carriage versions are already overcrowded at peak times?

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:19 - Mar 22 with 3233 viewsDr_Winston

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:17 - Mar 22 by Cooperman

What use is a 5 carriage train when the current 8 or 9 carriage versions are already overcrowded at peak times?

I think the clue is in the "test run" part.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:21 - Mar 22 with 3223 viewsNeath_Jack

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:24 - Mar 22 with 3202 viewsCooperman

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:19 - Mar 22 by Dr_Winston

I think the clue is in the "test run" part.

It was a test of supporting infrastructure rather than passenger numbers, wasn't it?

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:26 - Mar 22 with 3199 viewsBanosswan

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:17 - Mar 22 by Cooperman

5-10 carriages

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:32 - Mar 22 with 3173 viewsCooperman

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:26 - Mar 22 by Banosswan

5-10 carriages

Aye, lets hope we see an increase in seating capacity and not a reduction.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:40 - Mar 22 with 3151 viewsBanosswan

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:32 - Mar 22 by Cooperman

Aye, lets hope we see an increase in seating capacity and not a reduction.

It's a point they keep making, that capacity will be increased. Whether that's true or not...

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:42 - Mar 22 with 3141 viewslonglostjack

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how does the thing run from Swansea if the track is due for electrification ?

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:44 - Mar 22 with 3130 viewsDr_Winston

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:42 - Mar 22 by longlostjack

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how does the thing run from Swansea if the track is due for electrification ?

They're hybrid. Can run on electricity or diesel.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 22:06 - Mar 22 with 3098 viewslonglostjack

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:44 - Mar 22 by Dr_Winston

They're hybrid. Can run on electricity or diesel.

Clever ! Hopefully the need for diesel will be phased out sooner rather than later. Love rail and as others have said on here it would be fantastic if they opened/ repoened regional lines - Swansea to Aberystwyth or Brecon etc.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 22:07 - Mar 22 with 3092 viewsCooperman

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 22:06 - Mar 22 by longlostjack

Clever ! Hopefully the need for diesel will be phased out sooner rather than later. Love rail and as others have said on here it would be fantastic if they opened/ repoened regional lines - Swansea to Aberystwyth or Brecon etc.

Same here. I would travel by train over road any day if the week.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 22:15 - Mar 22 with 3071 viewsBanosswan

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 22:07 - Mar 22 by Cooperman

Same here. I would travel by train over road any day if the week.

Definitely. I love driving, love it. But for regular long commutes the train wins.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 23:09 - Mar 22 with 2987 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Had the pleasure of catching one of these on Southern Rail from Ashford to St Pancras and they can do 140mph in near silence. When you look at the sprinters Arriva run here it makes you realise just how far we are lagging behind. Let's hope we get elecrtic trains asap

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 06:45 - Mar 23 with 2879 viewsCooperman

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 23:09 - Mar 22 by Brynmill_Jack

Had the pleasure of catching one of these on Southern Rail from Ashford to St Pancras and they can do 140mph in near silence. When you look at the sprinters Arriva run here it makes you realise just how far we are lagging behind. Let's hope we get elecrtic trains asap

There's not many people who use pleasure and Southern Rail in the same sentence.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 07:54 - Mar 23 with 2850 viewswaynekerr55

I got one yesterday - Southeastern from St Pancras to Canterbury West in under an hour.

Regarding the hybrid trains, aren't they heavier thus causing more wear and tear to the tracks?

I wonder if electrification will occur...

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 15:41 - Mar 23 with 2680 viewsFieryJack

On the contrary, I see the quietness of these trains as a negative. Used to love walking into High St. Station to get a London-bound train & hearing the thunderous roar of the 125s engine. Gets the old ticker going. Adrenaline rush.

Can you imagine an Appollo rocket leaving the launch pad without the accompanying microphone-destroying racket? (Check YouTube & turn the sound up!)

And who can resist the throaty rumble of a V8 engine?
New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 15:44 - Mar 23 with 2675 viewsBanosswan

I get the joy of catching an arriva train to Stockport on Sunday. Can't wait.

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 16:30 - Mar 23 with 2649 viewswaynekerr55

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 15:41 - Mar 23 by FieryJack

On the contrary, I see the quietness of these trains as a negative. Used to love walking into High St. Station to get a London-bound train & hearing the thunderous roar of the 125s engine. Gets the old ticker going. Adrenaline rush.

Can you imagine an Appollo rocket leaving the launch pad without the accompanying microphone-destroying racket? (Check YouTube & turn the sound up!)

And who can resist the throaty rumble of a V8 engine?

They are impressive, how long until the old 125 trains are taken out of service?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 16:33 - Mar 23 with 2644 viewssherpajacob

goes like a train, allegedly.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 16:34]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 16:38 - Mar 23 with 2626 viewsBanosswan

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 16:33 - Mar 23 by sherpajacob

goes like a train, allegedly.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 16:34]

Marouane Fellaini?

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 16:58 - Mar 23 with 2611 viewsPrivate_Partz

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 07:54 - Mar 23 by waynekerr55

I got one yesterday - Southeastern from St Pancras to Canterbury West in under an hour.

Regarding the hybrid trains, aren't they heavier thus causing more wear and tear to the tracks?

I wonder if electrification will occur...

Not sure of the wear on tracks but the extra weight of conventional engines mean they will not get to London any quicker.
Will electrification occur beyond Cardiff? I have my doubts. It will be a sheer disgrace if the Cardiff valleys get theirs before the Swansea link is completed though. I hope the design enables the conventional engines to be removed once the whole link is completed. At least there is some encouragement for me. I had visions of conventional rolling stock to Cardiff for us necessitating a change of train there.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 17:08]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 17:07 - Mar 23 with 2604 viewsPrivate_Partz

I came back on the Heart of Wales line on Sunfay arriving in Swansea during the evening. There was all sorts of frantic railway line work going on for about 30 yards from the buffers on platforms 1 and 2. I wonder if these works were connected.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 23:26 - Mar 23 with 2454 viewsSwanzay

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 16:58 - Mar 23 by Private_Partz

Not sure of the wear on tracks but the extra weight of conventional engines mean they will not get to London any quicker.
Will electrification occur beyond Cardiff? I have my doubts. It will be a sheer disgrace if the Cardiff valleys get theirs before the Swansea link is completed though. I hope the design enables the conventional engines to be removed once the whole link is completed. At least there is some encouragement for me. I had visions of conventional rolling stock to Cardiff for us necessitating a change of train there.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2017 17:08]

Im going to miss the Class 43, brilliant workhorse and design from sir kenneth grange over the last 40 years.
Yes Im a bit of a train geek, the conventional engines wont be removed, but Im confident of electrification all the way to Swansea.

I shall make some enquiries....
New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 01:05 - Mar 24 with 2414 viewsowainglyndwr

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 21:21 - Mar 22 by Neath_Jack

That made me laugh
New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 04:25 - Mar 24 with 2392 viewsLord_Bony

New Hitachi Train in Swansea today. on 23:26 - Mar 23 by Swanzay

Im going to miss the Class 43, brilliant workhorse and design from sir kenneth grange over the last 40 years.
Yes Im a bit of a train geek, the conventional engines wont be removed, but Im confident of electrification all the way to Swansea.

I shall make some enquiries....

Electrification of the line to Swansea will take place but it is three years behind schedule we won't see this train and service to Swansea full until about 2020. But it may possibly run on diesel engine before that.

It is also gone three times over the original budget The electrification project will have cost well over £6 billion, the unions do not like it at all and point out the huge maintenance costs and waste of money as it really is not going to make much difference to commuting times for many parts of the country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33533467

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024