Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bringing a disabled fan to a match 13:39 - Jul 13 with 3134 viewsLegend83

Hi all, I sadly discovered recently that my father has advanced glioblastoma which clearly in itself is devastating but to add insult to injury the pressure on his brain has resulted in loss of feeling in his left side.

To cut a long story short, he is wheelchair bound and I am looking to take him to a home game at some point this year as a treat when I come to visit him in September / October.

He has been a Swans fan since he moved to Brynmill in 1979, and although he hasn't seen a game for a while I know he would enjoy it one last time.

So really my question is how best to approach this as it's all new to me - contact the club? Source some tickets first? What are the practicalities at the Liberty?

Any advice much appreciated.
Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 13:49 - Jul 13 with 3114 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Contact the club full details on link below.

http://www.swanseacity.com/fans/supporters-disabilities

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 13:50 - Jul 13 with 3107 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I read today that Ian James works as the clubs disability officer on a voluntary basis? Is that still the case? It is terrible how the likes of Jenkins pick up £500,000 a year, yet we still make important jobs like that 'voluntary'.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 13:52 - Jul 13 with 3098 viewsfelixstowe_jack

According to the Club WEB site

Andrew Williams
Disability Liaison Officer
andrewwilliams@swanseacityfc.co.uk

I guess he is employed by the club.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 13:52 - Jul 13 with 3095 viewsLegend83

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 13:49 - Jul 13 by felixstowe_jack

Contact the club full details on link below.

http://www.swanseacity.com/fans/supporters-disabilities

Thanks that's really useful.
Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 14:54 - Jul 13 with 3000 viewsSwansea_Viking

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 13:50 - Jul 13 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I read today that Ian James works as the clubs disability officer on a voluntary basis? Is that still the case? It is terrible how the likes of Jenkins pick up £500,000 a year, yet we still make important jobs like that 'voluntary'.

Hi, I was disability officer but stood down this year to concentrate on my business. New chap is Andrew Williams who is employed by the club.
Andrew Williams
I am still involved in disability issues and chair of the Disabled Supporters Association.
The club are also about to employ another disability access officer and we also have Lucy Norman as Equality Manager.
Things have certainly moved on since I started years ago.

You Stupid Boy!

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 14:56 - Jul 13 with 2994 viewsSwansea_Viking

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 13:52 - Jul 13 by Legend83

Thanks that's really useful.

Let me know how it goes but the club should be able to help you.
Cheers,
Ian

You Stupid Boy!

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 14:58 - Jul 13 with 2987 viewsDarran

Great point.

He's a top man is Ian too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 16:31 - Jul 13 with 2887 viewsKilkennyjack

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 14:54 - Jul 13 by Swansea_Viking

Hi, I was disability officer but stood down this year to concentrate on my business. New chap is Andrew Williams who is employed by the club.
Andrew Williams
I am still involved in disability issues and chair of the Disabled Supporters Association.
The club are also about to employ another disability access officer and we also have Lucy Norman as Equality Manager.
Things have certainly moved on since I started years ago.

You all do a great job.
Thank you.

Certainly something for our club to be very proud of now.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 18:21 - Jul 13 with 2819 viewsGlyn1

Fake News!

Congrats to the club on doing something right, this time at least.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 18:30 - Jul 13 with 2806 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 18:21 - Jul 13 by Glyn1

Fake News!

Congrats to the club on doing something right, this time at least.

Fake news? It was a quote from the person himself, stating that the club offered him the position on a voluntary basis. Whether or not that later changed to a paid role I do not know, I certainly hope it did.

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 19:03 - Jul 13 with 2767 viewsSwansea_Viking

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 18:30 - Jul 13 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Fake news? It was a quote from the person himself, stating that the club offered him the position on a voluntary basis. Whether or not that later changed to a paid role I do not know, I certainly hope it did.

It was voluntary and I was offered a paid role but decided to step down to concentrate on my business. The chap that took over from me is paid.
As I said earlier, things have moved on somewhat.
Was happy to do the role voluntarily but my business was demanding more and more of my time.
The new Chap Andrew Williams is doing good job and comes to the DSA meetings.
The main thing is that disabled fans are being looked after and we at the DSA work closely with the club and stadium.
Although recognised and supported by the club we are independent and will keep an oversight or bring issues to attention of the club where needed.
As a Trust Board member as well I get involved that way as well.
Love the role! Greatest reward is seeing happy people having a great match day experience regardless of disability.

You Stupid Boy!

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 19:03 - Jul 13 with 2763 viewsSwansea_Viking

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 14:58 - Jul 13 by Darran

Great point.

He's a top man is Ian too.

Thanks Darran!
[Post edited 13 Jul 2017 19:04]

You Stupid Boy!

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 19:11 - Jul 13 with 2748 viewsSwansea_Viking

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 16:31 - Jul 13 by Kilkennyjack

You all do a great job.
Thank you.

Certainly something for our club to be very proud of now.

Thanks, appreciated.
Everyone at the club is proud of what has been achieved but still looking to make improvements wherever and whenever they can. The DSA will also keep them on their toes where needed.

You Stupid Boy!

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 19:17 - Jul 13 with 2739 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 19:11 - Jul 13 by Swansea_Viking

Thanks, appreciated.
Everyone at the club is proud of what has been achieved but still looking to make improvements wherever and whenever they can. The DSA will also keep them on their toes where needed.

A sensory room for autistic children and adults would be excellent. One of the boxes could be renovated to accommodate one.

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 19:33 - Jul 13 with 2708 viewsSwansea_Viking

Bringing a disabled fan to a match on 19:17 - Jul 13 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

A sensory room for autistic children and adults would be excellent. One of the boxes could be renovated to accommodate one.

It is an excellent idea to have a sensory room. There are many things that are being discussed and prioritised and hopefully if we get control of stadium and expansion happens then things can move a lot easier and quicker. Hopefully!

You Stupid Boy!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024