Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tribunal question 17:47 - Feb 13 with 3636 viewsattila_the_hun

if you take a former employer to tribunal for wrongful dismissal, do you have the right to legal aid or is that just for criminal cases?

"I'm Free"

Tribunal question on 18:02 - Feb 13 with 2214 viewsAguycalledJack

I’m fairly sure that legal aid is not available in employment matters. Best bet, go to citizens advice and they will probably be able to tell you. That advice would also be free.

Even if it is available it is means tested. So if you have an income and or savings you may not qualify or may have to make a contribution to the legal aid fund.

As I say contact citizens advice.
Tribunal question on 18:38 - Feb 13 with 2160 viewssP7qupUf

It is the role of your trade union to represent you, and put together a case, at these hearings. It's what you pay your subscription for. I assume that you have the protection of such an association.
Tribunal question on 19:13 - Feb 13 with 2113 viewsepaul

Tribunal question on 18:38 - Feb 13 by sP7qupUf

It is the role of your trade union to represent you, and put together a case, at these hearings. It's what you pay your subscription for. I assume that you have the protection of such an association.

Your trade Union will only represent you on the probability of you winning the case

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Tribunal question on 19:16 - Feb 13 with 2101 viewsperchrockjack

Who decides what s Probable ,Paul

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Tribunal question on 19:18 - Feb 13 with 2099 viewsAguycalledJack

Tribunal question on 19:13 - Feb 13 by epaul

Your trade Union will only represent you on the probability of you winning the case

Legal aid if available would also work much the same way. They would have to be informed of the prospects of success.
Tribunal question on 19:27 - Feb 13 with 2080 viewsHighjack

Tribunal question on 19:13 - Feb 13 by epaul

If that's true then unions are even more pointless than is currently obvious.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Tribunal question on 19:27 - Feb 13 with 2074 viewsexhmrc1

many house insurance policies cover legal fees. OP needs to check that out. Again they will only take it it is likely you will win.
Tribunal question on 19:31 - Feb 13 with 2072 viewsjacktar

You need to go here to check out the process:
https://www.gov.uk/courts-tribunals/employment-tribunal

I think the first stop is ACAS:
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Lots of info and advice on t'internet.

Good luck!

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Login to get fewer ads

Tribunal question on 19:32 - Feb 13 with 2069 viewsperchrockjack

I was in a union mid seventies and complete waste of time .
Only big unions seemed to have grunt .

Tribunal question on 19:35 - Feb 13 with 2054 views3swan

Try this

https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid
Tribunal question on 19:38 - Feb 13 with 2047 viewsepaul

Tribunal question on 19:27 - Feb 13 by Highjack

If that's true then unions are even more pointless than is currently obvious.

Absolute rubbish, what if every member wished to take an issue to tribunal, the union would be bankrupt in no time, makes sense to a judge on the balance of possibility, even then doesnt guarantee they'll win the case.

It doesnt mean it has to be a sure fire win for a trade union to take up said case

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Tribunal question on 19:41 - Feb 13 with 2038 viewsepaul

Tribunal question on 19:16 - Feb 13 by perchrockjack

Who decides what s Probable ,Paul

Trade unions employ firms of solicitors, who share the principles and values of the trade unions they work with

Tribunal question on 19:43 - Feb 13 with 2032 viewsperchrockjack

Thank you.

Tribunal question on 19:48 - Feb 13 with 2012 viewsdickythorpe

Many contracts of employment state " we do not recognise trade unions "
Tribunal question on 19:57 - Feb 13 with 1993 viewsTenbySwan

I don't think legal aid covers tribunals.
Do you have legal assistance on your home insurance?
That usually covers disputes with an employer.
I would strongly recommend everyone adding legal cover for about £25 to their home insurance. You get a legal advise line that you can phone as many times as you like and if you need one they will pay a solicitor for up to £50k as long ad you have a good case that is.
Tribunal question on 19:57 - Feb 13 with 1993 viewsepaul

Tribunal question on 19:48 - Feb 13 by dickythorpe

Many contracts of employment state " we do not recognise trade unions "

They legally have to recognise trade unions they do not have to individually recognise a specific trade union as the one in their work place.

Even if there isnt a recognised trade union in the workplace an individual may be a trade union member and therefore has the right to be represented by that trade union at any discipline meeting

Tribunal question on 20:15 - Feb 13 with 1958 viewsmax936

Tribunal question on 19:57 - Feb 13 by epaul

They legally have to recognise trade unions they do not have to individually recognise a specific trade union as the one in their work place.

Even if there isnt a recognised trade union in the workplace an individual may be a trade union member and therefore has the right to be represented by that trade union at any discipline meeting

At least 50% of the workforce have to be in the union for a company to recognise the union, has for the individual I was in Unite [back in now as most of the workforce are I rejoined] and they were useless utterly useless when I had problems with a company I had worked for, for 12 fing yrs I had to work around it myself which I did by leaving best move I ever made, well so far

We were supposed to have had a meeting today which was planned for 8 to 8.15 rep turned up half 7 waited till 7.50 then left cause there weren't any there, stating that our works rep couldn't make it has he had been called out overnight, she's the fuking rep though ffs and couldn't wait to explain when we were all there and just fuked off, the Rep got a shock coming when the meeting does happen lads are fuming.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Tribunal question on 20:57 - Feb 13 with 1926 viewsepaul

Tribunal question on 20:15 - Feb 13 by max936

At least 50% of the workforce have to be in the union for a company to recognise the union, has for the individual I was in Unite [back in now as most of the workforce are I rejoined] and they were useless utterly useless when I had problems with a company I had worked for, for 12 fing yrs I had to work around it myself which I did by leaving best move I ever made, well so far

We were supposed to have had a meeting today which was planned for 8 to 8.15 rep turned up half 7 waited till 7.50 then left cause there weren't any there, stating that our works rep couldn't make it has he had been called out overnight, she's the fuking rep though ffs and couldn't wait to explain when we were all there and just fuked off, the Rep got a shock coming when the meeting does happen lads are fuming.

Rubbish its 10% of the workforce have to be a member of said trade union, for that union to be recognised in the workplace

Tribunal question on 21:01 - Feb 13 with 1915 viewsmax936

Tribunal question on 20:57 - Feb 13 by epaul

Rubbish its 10% of the workforce have to be a member of said trade union, for that union to be recognised in the workplace

It must have changed from 10%, we asked the question at the company in question, Unite told me that it was 50%.

I'll check again though, not that it matters to me know but I'll check all the same.

Tribunal question on 21:05 - Feb 13 with 1908 viewsexiledclaseboy

Tribunal question on 21:01 - Feb 13 by max936

It must have changed from 10%, we asked the question at the company in question, Unite told me that it was 50%.

I'll check again though, not that it matters to me know but I'll check all the same.

You’re both right. 10% of the workforce have to be union members but before the union has to be recognised it has to have evidence that a majority of the whole workforce (i.e. 50% or more) is in favour of that union being recognised.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 21:06]

Poll: Tory leader

Tribunal question on 21:15 - Feb 13 with 1878 viewsHighjack

Tribunal question on 19:38 - Feb 13 by epaul

Absolute rubbish, what if every member wished to take an issue to tribunal, the union would be bankrupt in no time, makes sense to a judge on the balance of possibility, even then doesnt guarantee they'll win the case.

It doesnt mean it has to be a sure fire win for a trade union to take up said case

The unions are swimming in money. If they can perpetually donate countless millions to momentum and the Labour Party and pay their top brass £1 million+ a year I'm sure they can offset a few measly quid to attempt to help a loyal member who has been shafted by employers.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Tribunal question on 21:27 - Feb 13 with 1862 viewsmax936

Tribunal question on 21:05 - Feb 13 by exiledclaseboy

You’re both right. 10% of the workforce have to be union members but before the union has to be recognised it has to have evidence that a majority of the whole workforce (i.e. 50% or more) is in favour of that union being recognised.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 21:06]

Well done Andrew Thanks, Wolfie was going right off it there its a good job he's a mate
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 21:29]

Tribunal question on 21:32 - Feb 13 with 1849 viewsNeath_Jack

They're not worth a w*nk these days.

I've been in countless disciplinary hearing's and the union reps just sit there nodding and frowning.

Save your money or take up smoking instead.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Tribunal question on 21:43 - Feb 13 with 1829 viewsepaul

Tribunal question on 21:27 - Feb 13 by max936

Well done Andrew Thanks, Wolfie was going right off it there its a good job he's a mate
[Post edited 13 Feb 2018 21:29]

Thats what you think!! have you sorted your sh1t out yet for friday

Tribunal question on 21:49 - Feb 13 with 1812 viewsepaul

Tribunal question on 21:32 - Feb 13 by Neath_Jack

They're not worth a w*nk these days.

I've been in countless disciplinary hearing's and the union reps just sit there nodding and frowning.

Save your money or take up smoking instead.

As with in any walk of life ther's the good one's there's the bad ones, I was fairly decent myself and not by my saying but by the amount of people I assisted in the work place I'm sure they would say I did a good job, I certainly didnt take sh1t of management, I did manage to save quite a few jobs and got several people re instated after being dismissed.

I will balance that though that there were some cases I lost and perhaps 1 or 2 idiots who deserved the sack ( although Id still represent them to the best of my ability), I'll even admit to doing deals with managers (for the benefit of the worker) there were some members who you could clearly see wouldnt handle a gross misconduct and would lose their jobs, so deal a final written, its all about saving their job.

Best feeling was always saving a job, but it compared like nothing when someone lost their job

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024