Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crazy Price On Train tickets 11:59 - Apr 13 with 5892 viewsSTID2017

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/man-buys-car-london-bristol-1448

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 13:02 - Apr 13 with 4404 viewsPhil_S

The price of the train from this side of the country to London is just plain extortionate especially if you are heading on a commuter train (of which the 518 from Port Talbot is one)

A few weeks back I went from Euston to Glasgow 1st class on a Virgin Train for less than £60 first class (open ticket) which included drinks, food and snacks three times en route. Yet last week I booked a return from here to Paddington for £189 (specified trains only, no refunds)

I have often gone from Preston to Glasgow 1st class which is roughly the same journey time for less than £25 with snacks and drinks (and often depending on the time of day hot food) included

FGW are a bit of a clusterfcuk of a company in my experience but options are very limited
Crazy Price On Train tickets on 13:14 - Apr 13 with 4391 viewsSwanjaxs

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 13:02 - Apr 13 by Phil_S

The price of the train from this side of the country to London is just plain extortionate especially if you are heading on a commuter train (of which the 518 from Port Talbot is one)

A few weeks back I went from Euston to Glasgow 1st class on a Virgin Train for less than £60 first class (open ticket) which included drinks, food and snacks three times en route. Yet last week I booked a return from here to Paddington for £189 (specified trains only, no refunds)

I have often gone from Preston to Glasgow 1st class which is roughly the same journey time for less than £25 with snacks and drinks (and often depending on the time of day hot food) included

FGW are a bit of a clusterfcuk of a company in my experience but options are very limited

Swansea to Birmingham return ticket first class for next week was just over £150 .... going standard now for £75

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 13:20 - Apr 13 with 4377 viewsDyfnant

They could reduce tickets prices a bit if they didn’t give employees and their families free travel, rest of us mugs are subsidising that sh1t

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 13:38 - Apr 13 with 4358 viewsTenbySwan

I looked at going to Newcastle away by train and it was extortionate. I even looked at driving to Birmingham and going from there and that was just as bad.
We need a Corbyn government and renationalise.
Have travelled by train in France and Italy. So much better and cheaper
Crazy Price On Train tickets on 14:31 - Apr 13 with 4305 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

This is just some very obvious advertising aimed at generating attention for his new business who by coincidence happens to offer services related to the article. I'm amazed people fall for it.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 15:25 - Apr 13 with 4260 viewsfelixstowe_jack

You just need to plan your journeys. I travel from Felixstowe to Swansea 10 times a year. Only £59.60 first class return instead of the normal fare of £280. Plus complimentary refreshments on the train

It would cost me £95 just in petrol let alone wear and tear on the car plus toll fees and refreshment costs at service stations.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 15:30 - Apr 13 with 4254 viewsPhil_S

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 15:25 - Apr 13 by felixstowe_jack

You just need to plan your journeys. I travel from Felixstowe to Swansea 10 times a year. Only £59.60 first class return instead of the normal fare of £280. Plus complimentary refreshments on the train

It would cost me £95 just in petrol let alone wear and tear on the car plus toll fees and refreshment costs at service stations.

Indeed if you have the luxury of planning that far in advance and travelling off peak then you can get some decent prices. However, when you don't have that luxury they have you over a barrel!
Crazy Price On Train tickets on 16:30 - Apr 13 with 4218 viewsFieryJack

Blimey - didn't realise there were so many toffs on this site - travelling first class be-damned!

Felixstowe, can you explain to me just how the hell you can get a first class return ticket, with complimentary food, from F-Stowe to Swansea for the price you quoted?

Even booking the max of 12 weeks in advance, I can't see how you get that price - it's quoted at over £300 on National Rail Enquiries (3 months in advance).

Enlighten me, please.

For the first time in ages I've decided against travelling from Yorkshire to Swansea this year partly because of the sudden hike in prices, but also because of the travelling time. The cheapest route is from Leeds via Manchester, Shrewsbury, Hereford etc.(scenic but tedious, particularly if you're a smoker).

And for some reason - engineering works, I expect - the journey time is now around 6.5 hours!

F*ck that.

It infuriates me that train travel has virtually become the preserve of the affluent.

Compare this abysmal situation with, for example, German railways, where, in Bavaria, if you travel as a couple, you can buy a Bayern Train Ticket for roughly £12 each, and it will cover you all day in a vast area (bigger than Wales) on all trains, except the ICEs.

Boll*x, think I'll relocate to Munich when I retire!
Login to get fewer ads

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 16:44 - Apr 13 with 4208 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 16:30 - Apr 13 by FieryJack

Blimey - didn't realise there were so many toffs on this site - travelling first class be-damned!

Felixstowe, can you explain to me just how the hell you can get a first class return ticket, with complimentary food, from F-Stowe to Swansea for the price you quoted?

Even booking the max of 12 weeks in advance, I can't see how you get that price - it's quoted at over £300 on National Rail Enquiries (3 months in advance).

Enlighten me, please.

For the first time in ages I've decided against travelling from Yorkshire to Swansea this year partly because of the sudden hike in prices, but also because of the travelling time. The cheapest route is from Leeds via Manchester, Shrewsbury, Hereford etc.(scenic but tedious, particularly if you're a smoker).

And for some reason - engineering works, I expect - the journey time is now around 6.5 hours!

F*ck that.

It infuriates me that train travel has virtually become the preserve of the affluent.

Compare this abysmal situation with, for example, German railways, where, in Bavaria, if you travel as a couple, you can buy a Bayern Train Ticket for roughly £12 each, and it will cover you all day in a vast area (bigger than Wales) on all trains, except the ICEs.

Try the great western ticket site
As an example
https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/7214/4222/2018-06-14/D08:00/2018-06-19/D08:00/1/0/

Then click on train time go for the cheapest price you see.

Quoted price for a first class single is £33.40 for that date. I using a rail card so 30% of normal price

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 17:06 - Apr 13 with 4185 viewsFieryJack

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 16:44 - Apr 13 by felixstowe_jack

Try the great western ticket site
As an example
https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/7214/4222/2018-06-14/D08:00/2018-06-19/D08:00/1/0/

Then click on train time go for the cheapest price you see.

Quoted price for a first class single is £33.40 for that date. I using a rail card so 30% of normal price

Cheers, Felix!

Great savings to be had there.

Might invest in a rail card - useful if you make enough journeys.
Crazy Price On Train tickets on 17:37 - Apr 13 with 4161 viewsWxmJax

You can't get a Railcard for just yourself unless you're an oap or a student.
Here's one for you, Wrexham to Euston next week is £111 one way but if you book your journey from the station before Wrexham and then swap trains at Wrexham and get on the £111 train, the price is only £68. Crazy.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 17:55 - Apr 13 with 4149 viewsFieryJack

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 17:37 - Apr 13 by WxmJax

You can't get a Railcard for just yourself unless you're an oap or a student.
Here's one for you, Wrexham to Euston next week is £111 one way but if you book your journey from the station before Wrexham and then swap trains at Wrexham and get on the £111 train, the price is only £68. Crazy.

The railway realm in the UK is truly surreal!
Crazy Price On Train tickets on 18:02 - Apr 13 with 4142 viewsPozuelosSideys

What a load of bollox.

As long as you dont leave or arrive into London within peak hours, then you pay about £90 open return from London-swansea.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 19:34 - Apr 13 with 4081 viewstaffpunk

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 18:02 - Apr 13 by PozuelosSideys

What a load of bollox.

As long as you dont leave or arrive into London within peak hours, then you pay about £90 open return from London-swansea.

Just been to London with the other half on the train, booked 3 months in advance. £55 each return from Cardiff, absolute bargain.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 20:39 - Apr 13 with 4047 viewsswanforthemoney

If you want to travel to London and are a bit strapped for cash. Megabus is cheap as chips. You just have to steel yourself for a long journey with a horrible cramped little toilet
Just about manageable if you remember not to drink coffe before or during.

I stand in the North Stand

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 21:30 - Apr 13 with 4003 viewsPhil_S

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 18:02 - Apr 13 by PozuelosSideys

What a load of bollox.

Again really nice if you get the chance to have that opportunity
Crazy Price On Train tickets on 22:51 - Apr 13 with 3953 viewsmajorraglan

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 16:30 - Apr 13 by FieryJack

Enlighten me, please.

F*ck that.

Train prices are crazy. i once went on a trip to London for work and it was cheaper to come back first class than standard. Arriva trains who run the local trains are part of Deutsche Bahn the German railway company.
We went to the Black Forest area a few years ago and they have a scheme for tourists called Konus where by all visitors get free access to public transport, couldn’t fault it. We should do the same over here, but I don’t think our crumby public transport system would cope.
Crazy Price On Train tickets on 22:52 - Apr 13 with 3953 viewsTNT

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 13:38 - Apr 13 by TenbySwan

I looked at going to Newcastle away by train and it was extortionate. I even looked at driving to Birmingham and going from there and that was just as bad.
We need a Corbyn government and renationalise.
Have travelled by train in France and Italy. So much better and cheaper

Got train from Marseille to Toulon, last August, stopped off at two nice coastal resorts en route, for two euros forty return!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 10:22 - Apr 15 with 3780 viewsPrivate_Partz

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 13:20 - Apr 13 by Dyfnant

They could reduce tickets prices a bit if they didn’t give employees and their families free travel, rest of us mugs are subsidising that sh1t

Or if the Tories had not effed up the whole shooting match in the first place.
Btw concessionary travel for staff was given as part of pay agreement deals.
It was standard practice to improve conditions of service thereby the overall pay rise will be less and savings made.
Unfortunately it is standard Tory practice to claw these consessions back in a race to the bottom.
Exactly what you are advocating.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 12:04 - Apr 15 with 3743 viewspikeypaul

My mate worked for Network Rail formally Rail Track for 23 years and took a £90k redundancy pay off a few years ago plus a good pension.Within 2 weeks he was back doing the exact same job but sub contracting.

He works awkward hours and mainly around the Swindon area and does a lot of travelling but it's all paid for he says actual on the job work is around 3 hours a day,He does do a lot of overtime but his average take home pay is over £1000 a week not bad for probably a 20 hour week doing an unskilled job.

And you wonder why train fares are so expensive.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 12:25 - Apr 15 with 3720 viewsPrivate_Partz

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 12:04 - Apr 15 by pikeypaul

My mate worked for Network Rail formally Rail Track for 23 years and took a £90k redundancy pay off a few years ago plus a good pension.Within 2 weeks he was back doing the exact same job but sub contracting.

He works awkward hours and mainly around the Swindon area and does a lot of travelling but it's all paid for he says actual on the job work is around 3 hours a day,He does do a lot of overtime but his average take home pay is over £1000 a week not bad for probably a 20 hour week doing an unskilled job.

It's called pensions. Not Gold Plated as you Tories would like to call it. They paid into that. Don't know what happened since the clusterfeck of Privatisation. Your mate was involved in that no doubt.
You have a point about coming back as sub contractors after retiring though. That should be nipped in the bud unless it is just a temporary thing to keep continuity until new processes are in place.
Nothing much to see here.
If you want to hand wring about then worry about the Corpprates avoiding tax, greedy bankers and the billions we are being ripped off for.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 15:23 - Apr 15 with 3655 viewsDyfnant

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 12:25 - Apr 15 by Private_Partz

It's called pensions. Not Gold Plated as you Tories would like to call it. They paid into that. Don't know what happened since the clusterfeck of Privatisation. Your mate was involved in that no doubt.
You have a point about coming back as sub contractors after retiring though. That should be nipped in the bud unless it is just a temporary thing to keep continuity until new processes are in place.
Nothing much to see here.
If you want to hand wring about then worry about the Corpprates avoiding tax, greedy bankers and the billions we are being ripped off for.

They should also be clamped down on. Doesn’t mean when train fares for the average working person are set at ridiculous levels, cut backs on perks for people earning far in excess for their level of skills shouldn’t be cut back on. Train drivers earning £60k+, people earning £28k+ for selling crisps ffs, god knows what their management earns. We are paying for this in fares

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 15:35 - Apr 15 with 3644 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Two of us regularly go to London and back on the National Express bus. It’s a four hour journey as opposed to three hours on the train.

£15 return each, we have had £11 return each on occasions. Hard to beat.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2018 15:37]

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 16:00 - Apr 15 with 3608 viewsbuilthjack

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 12:04 - Apr 15 by pikeypaul

This seems to happen a lot, not just on the trains. I know lots of people who have retired early from Powys County Council. Then a short while later they are back doing the same job on yearly contracts for mega money after having been paid a fortune to retire.
School teachers are another one. I know quite a few who have gone from working 5 days, to now working 3 or 4 days. Then they go on the bank and make it back to 5 days working, whilst earning half as much again as they originally did. So fcking wrong.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 17:09 - Apr 15 with 3589 viewsJackfath

Crazy Price On Train tickets on 16:00 - Apr 15 by builthjack

This seems to happen a lot, not just on the trains. I know lots of people who have retired early from Powys County Council. Then a short while later they are back doing the same job on yearly contracts for mega money after having been paid a fortune to retire.
School teachers are another one. I know quite a few who have gone from working 5 days, to now working 3 or 4 days. Then they go on the bank and make it back to 5 days working, whilst earning half as much again as they originally did. So fcking wrong.

Run the school teachers one by me again?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024