Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Major Trauma Centre 09:18 - Mar 30 with 22697 viewsjohnlangy

A debate has started to make the decision as to whether the Major Trauma Centre for South Wales should be based at Morriston or the Heath.

This will be well worth keeping an eye on because it's a decision that could affect the health of any of us or members of our families. The question about spread of investment by the WAG doesn't just mean new roads and jobs.
Major Trauma Centre on 09:43 - Mar 30 with 4935 viewsLohengrin

It ought to have a centralised location. That would be Bridgend, John.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Major Trauma Centre on 10:12 - Mar 30 with 4925 viewsblueytheblue

The correct answer is of course that both should have major trauma centres.

Siting it in one or the other will always lead to potential issues.

Not really something to political point score over.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Major Trauma Centre on 10:28 - Mar 30 with 4900 viewsjohnlangy

Major Trauma Centre on 09:43 - Mar 30 by Lohengrin

For whatever reason only the two sites are being considered. I know nothing about the main Bridgend hospitals so couldn't comment on their potential to accommodate this centre.
Major Trauma Centre on 10:31 - Mar 30 with 4896 viewsjohnlangy

Major Trauma Centre on 10:12 - Mar 30 by blueytheblue

The correct answer is of course that both should have major trauma centres.

Siting it in one or the other will always lead to potential issues.

Not really something to political point score over.

I don't know the reasons why only one centre is planned and there'll always be issues with whichever site is chosen.

I'm extremely wary of how the decision will be made bearing in mind how the neurosurgery centralisation decision was made in favour of the Heath. In my opinion that was a political decision, not a clinical one.
Major Trauma Centre on 10:46 - Mar 30 with 4875 viewsblueytheblue

Well, I fundamentally disagree with centralisation of medical provision.

Excuse my ignorance of Morriston, is that a teaching hospital also? If not, that could explain why Heath would generally be preferred.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Major Trauma Centre on 10:46 - Mar 30 with 4875 viewsPrivate_Partz

There was a man after my own heart on BBC Radio Cardiff. He said if we built two motorways East West and North South and locate the unit centrally there would be no need for a Brynglas tunnel development either. Loved the caller that accused Mohammed of Cardiff bias as well.
I wonder if Bristol already has a Major Trauma Unit or whether there is another unit nearer to Cardiff in England? Genuine question as I do not know.
The problem with this is Cardiff is not in a central location for any all Wales service.
HMRC is a different but prime example. Zillions likely to be spent Ina Cardiff Regional Office whilst there is already one earmarked Bristol. On a medical note I believe both centres have a Chidrens Hospital as well.
The Cardiff centric bandwagon insists all things must be in Cardiff. The argument with regards to medical centralisation is particularly flawed.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 10:53]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Major Trauma Centre on 10:50 - Mar 30 with 4870 viewsCopperJack

Major Trauma Centre on 10:46 - Mar 30 by blueytheblue

Well, I fundamentally disagree with centralisation of medical provision.

Excuse my ignorance of Morriston, is that a teaching hospital also? If not, that could explain why Heath would generally be preferred.

Why do you not disagree with centralisation of investment anyway? Does it not bother you that London gets more investment than Wales? Or do you not get bothered by the centralisation of wealth and investment in Wales because it benefits you?

I'd be amazed if this doesn't end up in the Heath. Morriston is a teaching hospital, Swansea University Medical School has the best Graduate Entry Medicine programme in Wales and 6th best in the UK. But, of course, this investment means jobs, and the WAG will never allow those to go anywhere besides their capital.

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Major Trauma Centre on 11:41 - Mar 30 with 4835 viewswestside

Doesn't Morriston have the regional burns unit
Login to get fewer ads

Major Trauma Centre on 11:43 - Mar 30 with 4826 viewsDarran

Major Trauma Centre on 09:43 - Mar 30 by Lohengrin

Centralised for where? Wales?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Major Trauma Centre on 11:50 - Mar 30 with 4824 viewsCountyJim

Building new one at Llanfrecfa for South East Wales

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37822559
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 11:52]
Major Trauma Centre on 17:37 - Mar 30 with 4753 viewsLohengrin

Major Trauma Centre on 11:43 - Mar 30 by Darran

Centralised for where? Wales?

South Wales, John said.

Major Trauma Centre on 18:45 - Mar 30 with 4722 viewsPrivate_Partz

Major Trauma Centre on 10:46 - Mar 30 by Private_Partz

There was a man after my own heart on BBC Radio Cardiff. He said if we built two motorways East West and North South and locate the unit centrally there would be no need for a Brynglas tunnel development either. Loved the caller that accused Mohammed of Cardiff bias as well.
I wonder if Bristol already has a Major Trauma Unit or whether there is another unit nearer to Cardiff in England? Genuine question as I do not know.
The problem with this is Cardiff is not in a central location for any all Wales service.
HMRC is a different but prime example. Zillions likely to be spent Ina Cardiff Regional Office whilst there is already one earmarked Bristol. On a medical note I believe both centres have a Chidrens Hospital as well.
The Cardiff centric bandwagon insists all things must be in Cardiff. The argument with regards to medical centralisation is particularly flawed.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 10:53]

I just thought I would answer my own question about Trauma Centres near to Cardiff. Bristol has TWO!!
Yet the Cardiff argument is that they still should be favourites for Wales as they serve the biggest population.
North Wales are well served also. They have to go to Stoke!!
All this courtesy of BBC Cardiff news tonight.
You really can't make this one up....
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 18:47]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Major Trauma Centre on 19:52 - Mar 30 with 4690 viewsjack2jack

Well they are going to spend hundreds of millions in the next 5 years on Morriston and Singleton hospital,that's a certainty,so my guess would be Morriston could be well placed to house such a facility.
Major Trauma Centre on 21:18 - Mar 30 with 4648 viewswestside

BBC Wales news already bigging up Cardiff Heath Hospital showing how they saved someone's life but nothing similar showing Morriston Hospital.

No surprises there then
Major Trauma Centre on 21:47 - Mar 30 with 4624 viewsPrivate_Partz

Major Trauma Centre on 19:52 - Mar 30 by jack2jack

Well they are going to spend hundreds of millions in the next 5 years on Morriston and Singleton hospital,that's a certainty,so my guess would be Morriston could be well placed to house such a facility.

I hope you are right, even though I feel we need one in N Wales as well due to our crap transport infastructure.
Sense and distribution of services / wealth have never meant much to the Cardiff centric bandwagon that is WAG though.
The sad thing for me is that lives are being lost throughout Wales as result of cars sharing juggenaughts on farm tracks yet we still are obsessed with delivering health services in an area that us more than well served by Bristol. It has happened before and it is likely to continue I am afraid.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 21:48]

Major Trauma Centre on 21:48 - Mar 30 with 4616 viewsDarran

Major Trauma Centre on 21:47 - Mar 30 by Private_Partz

I hope you are right, even though I feel we need one in N Wales as well due to our crap transport infastructure.
Sense and distribution of services / wealth have never meant much to the Cardiff centric bandwagon that is WAG though.
The sad thing for me is that lives are being lost throughout Wales as result of cars sharing juggenaughts on farm tracks yet we still are obsessed with delivering health services in an area that us more than well served by Bristol. It has happened before and it is likely to continue I am afraid.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 21:48]

Not being funny here but have you been to Morriston Hospital recently? They've spent many many millions there the last 3 or 4 years.

Major Trauma Centre on 21:54 - Mar 30 with 4614 viewsDr_Winston

Major Trauma Centre on 21:48 - Mar 30 by Darran

Not being funny here but have you been to Morriston Hospital recently? They've spent many many millions there the last 3 or 4 years.

It's gone backwards.

Used to be in and out of the phlebotomy dept in 30 minutes before. Never taken less than an hour and a half since they did it up.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Major Trauma Centre on 21:55 - Mar 30 with 4605 viewsDarran

Major Trauma Centre on 21:54 - Mar 30 by Dr_Winston

It's gone backwards.

Used to be in and out of the phlebotomy dept in 30 minutes before. Never taken less than an hour and a half since they did it up.

Well Amy's a regular there and the department she goes to has improved immensely.

Major Trauma Centre on 22:00 - Mar 30 with 4602 viewsBanosswan

The Heath is completely saturated as it is. It takes staff forty minutes to get out of the car park.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Major Trauma Centre on 22:04 - Mar 30 with 4599 viewsPrivate_Partz

Major Trauma Centre on 21:48 - Mar 30 by Darran

Not being funny either but they bloody well need to. Have you see the ambulances stuck outside A and E? Don't let WAG off the hook of delivering basic services. We are talking Trauma Units here. If it goes the way I am expecting North Wales will continue to travel to Stoke for their support. The rest of Wales will have nothing other than a swanking big unit in Cardiff when there are a further two in Bristol 20 miles away. This against a background of accidents occurring all over Wales where heavy and light traffic share nothing much better than farm tracks therby requiring a need of such services.

Major Trauma Centre on 22:07 - Mar 30 with 4588 viewsDarran

Major Trauma Centre on 22:04 - Mar 30 by Private_Partz

Not being funny either but they bloody well need to. Have you see the ambulances stuck outside A and E? Don't let WAG off the hook of delivering basic services. We are talking Trauma Units here. If it goes the way I am expecting North Wales will continue to travel to Stoke for their support. The rest of Wales will have nothing other than a swanking big unit in Cardiff when there are a further two in Bristol 20 miles away. This against a background of accidents occurring all over Wales where heavy and light traffic share nothing much better than farm tracks therby requiring a need of such services.

I'm not letting anyone off the hook I'm just saying they have spent and are continuing to spend on Morriston Hospital.

Major Trauma Centre on 22:13 - Mar 30 with 4585 viewsPrivate_Partz

Major Trauma Centre on 22:07 - Mar 30 by Darran

I'm not letting anyone off the hook I'm just saying they have spent and are continuing to spend on Morriston Hospital.

Good for you bud. I know it seems I am just a Cardiff v Swansea twonk but I ain't ;-)
With regards to these services in Wales we currently have the square root of eff all. I am not even sure Morriston is the best answer but, with the crap infrastructure we are currently dealing with, I am damn sure it should be nowhere near Cardiff which is more than well served by England anyway.

Major Trauma Centre on 22:19 - Mar 30 with 4566 viewsDarran

Major Trauma Centre on 22:13 - Mar 30 by Private_Partz

Good for you bud. I know it seems I am just a Cardiff v Swansea twonk but I ain't ;-)
With regards to these services in Wales we currently have the square root of eff all. I am not even sure Morriston is the best answer but, with the crap infrastructure we are currently dealing with, I am damn sure it should be nowhere near Cardiff which is more than well served by England anyway.

I spent six months on the plastic surgery unit in St Lawrence Hospital in Chepstow it was like a row of sheds.

Morriston plastic surgery unit is magnificent.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 22:22]

Major Trauma Centre on 22:21 - Mar 30 with 4566 viewsraynor94

Major Trauma Centre on 22:07 - Mar 30 by Darran

From my experience Morriston is now a top class facility, and as you say they have spent millions and going to spend millions more, there is just no pleasing some people

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Major Trauma Centre on 22:22 - Mar 30 with 4558 viewsLohengrin

Major Trauma Centre on 22:19 - Mar 30 by Darran

I spent six months on the plastic surgery unit in St Lawrence Hospital in Chepstow it was like a row of sheds.

Morriston plastic surgery unit is magnificent.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2017 22:22]

Sounds fishy to me...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024