Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? 00:39 - May 16 with 2229 viewsomarjack

..to cut it at a Championship level?

Truth is that I haven't seen many play..surely Roberts has impressed somehow..seen Maric but left little impression,Rodon was decent when I saw him but that's all.

Fulton and Grimes could cut it on the bench probably.

Heard a lot about Byers and James,are they any good?

What other names are there?

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 00:49 - May 16 with 2215 viewsomarjack

Obviously Mcburnie..

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 00:56 - May 16 with 2207 viewsjasper_T

Mercenaries:

Steven Benda - Goalkeeper identified by Gerhard Tremmel. 19 years old, already light years better than Zabret who's been lurking in the development setup for years. Saved a bunch of penalties this season in shootouts. Can play a bit with his feet. Erwin Mulder wasn't half as impressive when he turned out for the u23s.

Cian Harries - Signed from Coventry where he played some League One games. Left-footed centre half. Captained the u23s in the second half of the season.

George Byers - Cracking number 10. Goals and assists. Cracking set pieces. Should have been brought into the first team this season, wouldn't have done any worse than what we had. Cracking player.

Dan James - Rapid with ball at his feet. Trouble with injuries this last year, and he's small which is going to worry many managers, but he spends u23s games getting kicked all over the place and getting right back up and running at people for 90 minutes. Tough kid. Some of those refs need jailing.

Local boys:

Aaron Lewis - Right back, but spends as much time playing left back because he's two-footed. Can do more with a football than Connor, drives infield with the ball etc. Bit prone to starting fights with players. Stupid haircut.

Jack Evans - Damn fine holding midfield player. Reads the game well, gets his foot in. Calm under pressure, and worth a yellow every game for the most cynical/tactical fouls imaginable. Got a nice long pass in his locker but usually keeps it simple because that works best for the team. He's improved massively this season, hope he gets another year.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 0:57]
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 01:47 - May 16 with 2162 viewsKilkennyjack

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 00:56 - May 16 by jasper_T

Mercenaries:

Steven Benda - Goalkeeper identified by Gerhard Tremmel. 19 years old, already light years better than Zabret who's been lurking in the development setup for years. Saved a bunch of penalties this season in shootouts. Can play a bit with his feet. Erwin Mulder wasn't half as impressive when he turned out for the u23s.

Cian Harries - Signed from Coventry where he played some League One games. Left-footed centre half. Captained the u23s in the second half of the season.

George Byers - Cracking number 10. Goals and assists. Cracking set pieces. Should have been brought into the first team this season, wouldn't have done any worse than what we had. Cracking player.

Dan James - Rapid with ball at his feet. Trouble with injuries this last year, and he's small which is going to worry many managers, but he spends u23s games getting kicked all over the place and getting right back up and running at people for 90 minutes. Tough kid. Some of those refs need jailing.

Local boys:

Aaron Lewis - Right back, but spends as much time playing left back because he's two-footed. Can do more with a football than Connor, drives infield with the ball etc. Bit prone to starting fights with players. Stupid haircut.

Jack Evans - Damn fine holding midfield player. Reads the game well, gets his foot in. Calm under pressure, and worth a yellow every game for the most cynical/tactical fouls imaginable. Got a nice long pass in his locker but usually keeps it simple because that works best for the team. He's improved massively this season, hope he gets another year.

Jasper you should be running the Academy mate - perhaps you are ?
Your player assessments are always crystal clear.

Beware of the Risen People

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 07:45 - May 16 with 1998 viewsPrivate_Partz

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 00:56 - May 16 by jasper_T

Mercenaries:

Local boys:

That is encouraging. There is no doubt they have have done very well as a team.
The worry for me is the gap to jump was too big for the PL. Will it remain so in the Championship?
I worry that Huw Puw will see this as both a money saver and to justify the developments he has overseen at the club.
Yes we need to try to blood some players in but to rely on them to bolster a further declining squad is a major worry for me.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 07:49 - May 16 with 1990 viewsdickythorpe

Is Mael Davies back after injury?
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 08:41 - May 16 with 1917 viewsomarjack

Mercenaries:

Local boys:

Thanks for the well thought reply!

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 09:49 - May 16 with 1818 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Mercenaries:

Local boys:

Jasper, a good roundup, but you forgot
Liam Cullen, 19 and an improving Forward, coming back from injury
Jordan Garrick, 20 who needs to improve a bit as a Forward
The point is Training with the 1st team's bigger, stronger players should make or break them.
The only problem is the youngsters are used to playing as a Team and for each other with an attacking style.
Take them out of that environment and put them in a team that somedays look as if they have never played together could actually make them play worse, rather than better.
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 09:57 - May 16 with 1798 viewsjasper_T

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 07:45 - May 16 by Private_Partz

That is encouraging. There is no doubt they have have done very well as a team.
The worry for me is the gap to jump was too big for the PL. Will it remain so in the Championship?
I worry that Huw Puw will see this as both a money saver and to justify the developments he has overseen at the club.
Yes we need to try to blood some players in but to rely on them to bolster a further declining squad is a major worry for me.

It's always a big step up, but that's football. There's no point running an academy if you're not prepared to take a risk and throw some of your kids in at the deep end and see who floats. We're not a United who can sell unproven kids based on the badge alone, we need to show faith in our methods before expecting other clubs to.

Our first team squad is (and has been) way too big. Economically what makes sense now is to sell most of them and rely on the u23s to make up the numbers for a 46 game season (plus long cup runs). Spend what money we have on the first 11, to bring in what quality we can get, and let there be openings for young players to step up and impress within the squad.
Login to get fewer ads

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 10:21 - May 16 with 1767 viewsjasper_T

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 09:49 - May 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Jasper, a good roundup, but you forgot
Liam Cullen, 19 and an improving Forward, coming back from injury
Jordan Garrick, 20 who needs to improve a bit as a Forward
The point is Training with the 1st team's bigger, stronger players should make or break them.
The only problem is the youngsters are used to playing as a Team and for each other with an attacking style.
Take them out of that environment and put them in a team that somedays look as if they have never played together could actually make them play worse, rather than better.

Liam Cullen hasn't had much of a season. Needs another year in development to find his game. As a smaller, pacey tap-in merchant he's struggled in a side that likes a big physical target man to hold the ball up and bring others in. Been on big money since he was 15 so hope he comes good.

Garrick I'm just not sure about. He seems to get by on pace and power rather than any real technical ability, which is hard to carry over to senior football where everyone is bigger, stronger, faster. It's been fun to watch him bully 17 year old fullbacks though.

Getting a good core of kids involved in first team training (which I think a few of them are/have been for a while) should be beneficial, as these are players with first hand experience playing attacking pass and move football. I don't think many of our senior side remembers what that's like.
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 11:51 - May 16 with 1700 viewsLegend83

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 10:21 - May 16 by jasper_T

Liam Cullen hasn't had much of a season. Needs another year in development to find his game. As a smaller, pacey tap-in merchant he's struggled in a side that likes a big physical target man to hold the ball up and bring others in. Been on big money since he was 15 so hope he comes good.

Garrick I'm just not sure about. He seems to get by on pace and power rather than any real technical ability, which is hard to carry over to senior football where everyone is bigger, stronger, faster. It's been fun to watch him bully 17 year old fullbacks though.

Getting a good core of kids involved in first team training (which I think a few of them are/have been for a while) should be beneficial, as these are players with first hand experience playing attacking pass and move football. I don't think many of our senior side remembers what that's like.

I tipped Garrick a couple of years back due to his impressive goal hit-rate and obvious pace / strength - shame to hear he is not stepping up.
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 12:46 - May 16 with 1590 viewsHighjack

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 09:57 - May 16 by jasper_T

It's always a big step up, but that's football. There's no point running an academy if you're not prepared to take a risk and throw some of your kids in at the deep end and see who floats. We're not a United who can sell unproven kids based on the badge alone, we need to show faith in our methods before expecting other clubs to.

Our first team squad is (and has been) way too big. Economically what makes sense now is to sell most of them and rely on the u23s to make up the numbers for a 46 game season (plus long cup runs). Spend what money we have on the first 11, to bring in what quality we can get, and let there be openings for young players to step up and impress within the squad.

Yeah they have to have the chance to sink or swim. I’m sure there’s a parallel universe somewhere where Ben Davies is still on loan at Yeovil.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:02 - May 16 with 1550 viewsKerouac

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 09:57 - May 16 by jasper_T

I reckon 16-18 seasoned pros with 7-9 of the youngsters making up a 1st team squad of 25 is the way to go.

I think the only rule in the Championship re: squads is that every match day squad needs to have 6 'Home Grown' players, is that right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:17 - May 16 with 1521 viewsjasper_T

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 11:51 - May 16 by Legend83

I tipped Garrick a couple of years back due to his impressive goal hit-rate and obvious pace / strength - shame to hear he is not stepping up.

He's done fine and has been improving steadily, When everyone was fit he was first choice on the right wing. I just wonder if he only stands out because of his physical advantage, as opposed to someone like Dan James who has always stood out despite being undersized.

You can fool a lot of people for a long time in age group football simply by being an early-bloomer and doing a few stepovers.
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:19 - May 16 with 1511 viewsLegend83

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:17 - May 16 by jasper_T

He's done fine and has been improving steadily, When everyone was fit he was first choice on the right wing. I just wonder if he only stands out because of his physical advantage, as opposed to someone like Dan James who has always stood out despite being undersized.

You can fool a lot of people for a long time in age group football simply by being an early-bloomer and doing a few stepovers.

Yep, arguably why the English national set-up has been such a failure - fast-tracking "athletes" rather than "footballers".
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:21 - May 16 with 1506 viewsjasper_T

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:02 - May 16 by Kerouac

I reckon 16-18 seasoned pros with 7-9 of the youngsters making up a 1st team squad of 25 is the way to go.

I think the only rule in the Championship re: squads is that every match day squad needs to have 6 'Home Grown' players, is that right?

I'd say more like 11-14 senior players, personally. We didn't need a 25 man squad in the PL (we were usually using 19/20 players per registration period) and we can't afford that level of depth now.

16 seasoned pros and our u23s will never get a game except for Connor and Ollie.
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:52 - May 16 with 1453 viewsKilkennyjack

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:21 - May 16 by jasper_T

I'd say more like 11-14 senior players, personally. We didn't need a 25 man squad in the PL (we were usually using 19/20 players per registration period) and we can't afford that level of depth now.

16 seasoned pros and our u23s will never get a game except for Connor and Ollie.

Ollie is off to The The Rangers with Stevie G.

Beware of the Risen People

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 14:24 - May 16 with 1410 viewsjasper_T

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:52 - May 16 by Kilkennyjack

Sad to hear he's given up on a career in football.
Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 14:50 - May 16 with 1366 viewsawayjack

Who are our Academy players with biggest potential? on 13:52 - May 16 by Kilkennyjack

Source? Aside from fact Rangers are broke, suspect SG be expected to use his contacts to bring in bigger names (too slow for PL but be fine up North) on free.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024