Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loughor Estuary 18:18 - Jun 12 with 1968 viewsJackfath

Why isn't this area considered as a possible site for a tidal generator? The tide comes in and out of there at a ferocious pace and with it being a relatively narrow mouth would be cheaper? The possibility of the power station along the banks of the river must an option too as there is some room down there?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Loughor Estuary on 18:25 - Jun 12 with 1956 viewslifelong

It was considered in the late 80’s.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/7927972.stm
Loughor Estuary on 18:30 - Jun 12 with 1945 viewsWingstandwood

It sure does come in a ferocious pace, an ex-local High Street optician can give testimony to that i.e. it tipped his boat over. He was thrown off (along with a companion) somewhere near the Loughor bridge/boathouse itself and by the time he was rescued he had reached the Penclawdd area. The whole stretch should be approached with great care. Even when the tide is out there are places that are lethal quicksand-traps.

My ex brother-in-law said that particula stretch has one of the fastest incoming tides in the whole U.K.

Argus!

Loughor Estuary on 18:53 - Jun 12 with 1927 viewsJackfath

Loughor Estuary on 18:25 - Jun 12 by lifelong

It was considered in the late 80’s.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/7927972.stm

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting. Would you like to see something put there?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Loughor Estuary on 19:12 - Jun 12 with 1904 viewsScotia

It may well be ok for a barrage. Very heavily protected by different environmental legislation, it would be very difficult to get permission.
Loughor Estuary on 19:24 - Jun 12 with 1882 viewslifelong

Loughor Estuary on 18:53 - Jun 12 by Jackfath

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting. Would you like to see something put there?

No.
Loughor Estuary on 19:26 - Jun 12 with 1874 viewsmax936

Loughor Estuary on 19:12 - Jun 12 by Scotia

It may well be ok for a barrage. Very heavily protected by different environmental legislation, it would be very difficult to get permission.

An area of outstanding natural beauty and an area of scientific conservation interest, can't see there ever being an agreement to flood that area to create a Barrage and nor do I think there should be. IMHO.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Loughor Estuary on 19:32 - Jun 12 with 1865 viewsDyfnant

They asked about wind turbines down Trostre way and were told to piss off

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Loughor Estuary on 20:21 - Jun 12 with 1818 viewsDr_Winston

Loughor Estuary on 18:30 - Jun 12 by Wingstandwood

It sure does come in a ferocious pace, an ex-local High Street optician can give testimony to that i.e. it tipped his boat over. He was thrown off (along with a companion) somewhere near the Loughor bridge/boathouse itself and by the time he was rescued he had reached the Penclawdd area. The whole stretch should be approached with great care. Even when the tide is out there are places that are lethal quicksand-traps.

My ex brother-in-law said that particula stretch has one of the fastest incoming tides in the whole U.K.

A lot of people don't appreciate the sandbars there. 20ft of depth in one place may only be 4-5ft of depth elsewhere and one reasonable wave can tip a boat over easily.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Loughor Estuary on 20:23 - Jun 12 with 1815 viewslifelong

Loughor Estuary on 20:21 - Jun 12 by Dr_Winston

A lot of people don't appreciate the sandbars there. 20ft of depth in one place may only be 4-5ft of depth elsewhere and one reasonable wave can tip a boat over easily.

Very dangerous stretch of water.
Loughor Estuary on 20:25 - Jun 12 with 1812 viewsDr_Winston

Loughor Estuary on 20:23 - Jun 12 by lifelong

Yup.

Was fishing in Llanrhidian once and had to move smartly to avoid the incoming tide. Don't treat it with the appropriate respect and death is not an unlikely outcome.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Loughor Estuary on 20:43 - Jun 12 with 1788 viewsWingstandwood

Loughor Estuary on 20:25 - Jun 12 by Dr_Winston

Yup.

Was fishing in Llanrhidian once and had to move smartly to avoid the incoming tide. Don't treat it with the appropriate respect and death is not an unlikely outcome.

I know the optician who got rescued done the right thing to save his own life i.e. instead of instinctively swimming against the tide and trying to reach safety by going towards the bank he went with the tides natural direction and flow. He shouted for help along his travel. He admitted he was extremely lucky and despite his correct choice of action was still rescued in a state of extreme exhaustion.

Argus!

Loughor Estuary on 20:48 - Jun 12 with 1772 viewsWingstandwood

Loughor Estuary on 20:23 - Jun 12 by lifelong

A very deceptive place especially to many a non-local that underestimates it.

Argus!

Loughor Estuary on 22:46 - Jun 12 with 1698 viewsmax936

Loughor Estuary on 20:43 - Jun 12 by Wingstandwood

I know the optician who got rescued done the right thing to save his own life i.e. instead of instinctively swimming against the tide and trying to reach safety by going towards the bank he went with the tides natural direction and flow. He shouted for help along his travel. He admitted he was extremely lucky and despite his correct choice of action was still rescued in a state of extreme exhaustion.

Me and a mate walked out onto the Marsh at Crofty to go fishing looking for the main river to start fishing, it was a murky foggy start to the day, we started to feel a bit lost, my mate said to go in one direction, but luckily we went in the direction I chose, just in time as well as the tide had started to flow behind us, bit of a close call, not worth the risk for a couple of fish.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Loughor Estuary on 23:05 - Jun 12 with 1678 viewsLeonWasGod

Good point JF. The tide does come in and out. I think you've cracked it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024