Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
County championship returns to Newport 13:15 - Dec 5 with 1904 viewsCountyJim

https://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricket/news/2018/november/championship-cricket

Great news for us locals I can remember one day cricket at Rodney parade Newport CC old ground
County championship returns to Newport on 14:20 - Dec 5 with 1865 viewsjazzswan

Since when is Glamorgan in Gwent! It’s like Surrey playing home games in Middlesex !
County championship returns to Newport on 14:39 - Dec 5 with 1857 viewsWarwickHunt

County championship returns to Newport on 14:20 - Dec 5 by jazzswan

Since when is Glamorgan in Gwent! It’s like Surrey playing home games in Middlesex !

Colwyn Bay is a great little ground.
County championship returns to Newport on 15:24 - Dec 5 with 1832 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I used to like Abergavenny for a day out.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

County championship returns to Newport on 15:46 - Dec 5 with 1823 viewsCountyJim

In 1934 Glamorgan and Monmouthshire (later Gwent) Counties merged
County championship returns to Newport on 19:21 - Dec 5 with 1760 viewsjack_lord

As the bunch of people in charge have spent an amount on the Cardiff ground I suppose it should continue to get cricket but if they want the team to improve then get cricket back to St Helens. The team have gone downhill.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

County championship returns to Newport on 19:47 - Dec 5 with 1749 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Strange you should mention that but I watched middlesex play Glamorgan at old dear park in Richmond which use to be surrey before it became part of greater London.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

County championship returns to Newport on 19:50 - Dec 5 with 1744 viewsfelixstowe_jack

County championship returns to Newport on 19:21 - Dec 5 by jack_lord

As the bunch of people in charge have spent an amount on the Cardiff ground I suppose it should continue to get cricket but if they want the team to improve then get cricket back to St Helens. The team have gone downhill.

Have Newport cricket club offered the £30,000 that it costs the balconiers to get the game at St Helens.

County championship returns to Newport on 20:31 - Dec 5 with 1728 viewssquarebear

I was looking at Glamorgan’s fixtures this morning, funnily enough, but could only see a four day game at St Helens. Don’t they usually also schedule an evening whackball fixture here too?
[Post edited 5 Dec 2018 20:31]
Login to get fewer ads

County championship returns to Newport on 20:37 - Dec 5 with 1721 viewsjack_lord

County championship returns to Newport on 19:50 - Dec 5 by felixstowe_jack

Have Newport cricket club offered the £30,000 that it costs the balconiers to get the game at St Helens.

St Helens have to pay Glamorgan 30k to stage a game?

County championship returns to Newport on 21:09 - Dec 5 with 1702 viewsWarwickHunt

County championship returns to Newport on 19:47 - Dec 5 by felixstowe_jack

Strange you should mention that but I watched middlesex play Glamorgan at old dear park in Richmond which use to be surrey before it became part of greater London.

I was there too.

Not many old dears though...
County championship returns to Newport on 09:44 - Dec 6 with 1591 viewsdickythorpe

Glamorgan played a limited over match at Cresselly about 6 seasons ago. It was a huge success.
County championship returns to Newport on 10:16 - Dec 6 with 1577 viewsCountyJim

County championship returns to Newport on 19:50 - Dec 5 by felixstowe_jack

A neighbour of mine who plays for Newport said Swansea was offered the game but they didn't think the ground would be ready after rugby season
County championship returns to Newport on 10:22 - Dec 6 with 1576 viewsjack_lord

It is sad that Glamorgan have have been playing first class cricket at St Helens for almost 100 years from 1921 but Sophia Gardens has been hosting games since 1967. Is it too much to ask for two championship games a year?

County championship returns to Newport on 11:13 - Dec 6 with 1569 viewsCountyJim

County championship returns to Newport on 10:22 - Dec 6 by jack_lord

It is sad that Glamorgan have have been playing first class cricket at St Helens for almost 100 years from 1921 but Sophia Gardens has been hosting games since 1967. Is it too much to ask for two championship games a year?

They could have had two season 19
County championship returns to Newport on 11:56 - Dec 6 with 1564 viewsvalleyboy

County championship returns to Newport on 19:21 - Dec 5 by jack_lord

Play iat St. Helens???

About 4 years ago the opposing side said, the facilities at that ground was so deplorable, they would not use them

As anything change there these day??????
County championship returns to Newport on 12:05 - Dec 6 with 1558 viewsvalleyboy

County championship returns to Newport on 15:24 - Dec 5 by JACKMANANDBOY

I used to like Abergavenny for a day out.

I agree Abergavenny was/is a lovely little ground, but also enjoyed watching cricket at Ebbw Vale and at Neath

I suppose really that they were the nearest grounds to where I live and only about a few miles difference between them

Twice that I went to St Helens for the a Sunday League game, there was trouble close by to where I was sitting between Cardiff and Swansea supporting fans

Football related trouble at a cricket ground

Unbelievable
County championship returns to Newport on 16:02 - Dec 6 with 1505 viewsfelixstowe_jack

County championship returns to Newport on 11:56 - Dec 6 by valleyboy

Play iat St. Helens???

About 4 years ago the opposing side said, the facilities at that ground was so deplorable, they would not use them

Clear not a problem as Glamorgan are still playing at St Helens.

the Society regularly spends money pre-season on improving the facilities at St Helen’s before the Festival. In 2013 the Balconiers contributed £10k towards the refurbishment and extension of the changing rooms at St. Helen’s.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 16:13]

County championship returns to Newport on 16:11 - Dec 6 with 1501 viewsfelixstowe_jack

County championship returns to Newport on 20:37 - Dec 5 by jack_lord

St Helens have to pay Glamorgan 30k to stage a game?

The Society is very much indebted to the business community of South and West Wales for their invaluable support that has enabled us to raise and contribute well over £360k in the past 19 years. This has become an inducement to Glamorgan to continue to allocate Festival cricket fixtures to Swansea.

Average over the last 19 years is £20,000 per year. It was lower 19 years ago it is nearer £30,000 a year now.

the Society regularly spends money pre-season on improving the facilities at St Helen’s before the Festival. In 2013 the Balconiers contributed £10k towards the refurbishment and extension of the changing rooms at St. Helen’s.

Included in Glamorgan's accounts for 2017
The Glamorgan followers donated £5,000 (2016 £5,000)
The St Helen's Balconiers donated £20,000 (2016 £22,000)

I can find no record of any donations from Colwyn Bay to host their annual fixture. Income from that game may be included in general hospitality figures
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 16:34]

County championship returns to Newport on 16:12 - Dec 6 with 1499 viewsfelixstowe_jack

County championship returns to Newport on 11:56 - Dec 6 by valleyboy

Play iat St. Helens???

Just to update you the balconiers (not Glamorgam) paid £10,000 to upgrade the dressing rooms in 2013.

County championship returns to Newport on 23:59 - Dec 6 with 1427 viewsjack_lord

County championship returns to Newport on 16:11 - Dec 6 by felixstowe_jack

The Society is very much indebted to the business community of South and West Wales for their invaluable support that has enabled us to raise and contribute well over £360k in the past 19 years. This has become an inducement to Glamorgan to continue to allocate Festival cricket fixtures to Swansea.

Average over the last 19 years is £20,000 per year. It was lower 19 years ago it is nearer £30,000 a year now.

Included in Glamorgan's accounts for 2017
The Glamorgan followers donated £5,000 (2016 £5,000)
The St Helen's Balconiers donated £20,000 (2016 £22,000)

I can find no record of any donations from Colwyn Bay to host their annual fixture. Income from that game may be included in general hospitality figures
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 16:34]

That show an incredible effort from the Balconiers. It is a shame that those in charge at Glamorgan CC are not recognising their own history and being blinded by the cardiff dollar.

County championship returns to Newport on 09:36 - Dec 7 with 1368 viewsvalleyboy

County championship returns to Newport on 16:12 - Dec 6 by felixstowe_jack

Just to update you the balconiers (not Glamorgam) paid £10,000 to upgrade the dressing rooms in 2013.

Its obvious that this refurbishment was done because of complaints from opposing teams and that they were not fit for purpose

It’s like closing the door after the horse has bolted

I can’t remember what county complained about the facilities at St Helens but I will try to look it up
County championship returns to Newport on 09:58 - Dec 7 with 1364 viewsfelixstowe_jack

County championship returns to Newport on 09:36 - Dec 7 by valleyboy

Its obvious that this refurbishment was done because of complaints from opposing teams and that they were not fit for purpose

It’s like closing the door after the horse has bolted

I can’t remember what county complained about the facilities at St Helens but I will try to look it up

I think the only really complaint was the size of the dressing rooms and not the condition of them. The dressing room and extension to the pavilion were paid for by Glamorgan Cricket Club in the early 70s as it was Glamorgans main ground and were far superior to the Cardiff Athletic Club dressing rooms at Sophia Gardens at the time.

The facilities at St Helen's were considered good enough for England to play their first "Home" one day international outside England in 1976. They were also good enough to host several one day world cup games in the late 1970s early 80s.

The only issue was the size really as they now have to accommodate the 12 players plus about 6 coaches etc.

Glamorgan then made to decisions to spend all their Capital to develop Cardiff a decision which brought huge debts to the club, half of which were written of recently by various debtors. It has also seen membership decrease from around 13,000 to the current level of 2,500. This has led to the playing standard of Glamorgan declining to its worst level in 60 years and the top local talent moving on to better clubs, J Harris, T Maynard and A Donald. This has not been helped by the poor wicket at Cardiff which is no help to Bowlers and results in most four days games ending in draws as opposed to Swansea and Colwyn Bay which are better cricketing wickets and ensure in a positive result in most games.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024