Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football and gambling 14:17 - Jan 10 with 1466 viewsProfessor

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/10/football-gambling-dire-conseque

A good piece by David Conn. Great shame that, as Darran as said before, we have such a sponsor
Football and gambling on 14:22 - Jan 10 with 1454 viewssainthelens

Leigh Griffiths ( Celtic) recently documented with gambling issues, given time off by Brenda to get help etc. Was then pictured a Newcastle races! Sad and seemingly beyond help.
Football and gambling on 14:53 - Jan 10 with 1424 viewsLandore_Jack

Luton have refused more than £500,000 from gambling companies as they "do not feel comfortable" being sponsored by them, says chief executive Gary Sweet.

Nearly 60 per cent of clubs in England's top two divisions promote gambling firms on their shirts.

But the board at League One side Luton have repeatedly turned down similar shirt and stadium sponsorship offers.

"We don't want to promote excessive gambling behaviour through our support base and our players," Sweet said.

"I don't think I'm going to be fired because I'm turning down that kind of income from our board, because together we all think and believe the same things as part of our principles."

We don't feel comfortable with advertising or carrying a sponsorship of a gambling brand unless we are forced to do so obviously," Sweet told BBC Look East.

"Over the years we probably get an offer every year from at least one gambling firm.

"I would put it - certainly over the years of our custodianship - of well in excess of half a million pounds lost probably, at a guess, but we're very comfortable with that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46303940

#backtojack

Football and gambling on 15:31 - Jan 10 with 1382 viewsLohengrin

Football and gambling on 14:53 - Jan 10 by Landore_Jack

Luton have refused more than £500,000 from gambling companies as they "do not feel comfortable" being sponsored by them, says chief executive Gary Sweet.

Nearly 60 per cent of clubs in England's top two divisions promote gambling firms on their shirts.

But the board at League One side Luton have repeatedly turned down similar shirt and stadium sponsorship offers.

"We don't want to promote excessive gambling behaviour through our support base and our players," Sweet said.

"I don't think I'm going to be fired because I'm turning down that kind of income from our board, because together we all think and believe the same things as part of our principles."

We don't feel comfortable with advertising or carrying a sponsorship of a gambling brand unless we are forced to do so obviously," Sweet told BBC Look East.

"Over the years we probably get an offer every year from at least one gambling firm.

"I would put it - certainly over the years of our custodianship - of well in excess of half a million pounds lost probably, at a guess, but we're very comfortable with that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46303940

If they think people need to be nannied perhaps Luton ought to put Mary Poppins on their shirt?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Football and gambling on 15:53 - Jan 10 with 1355 viewsjasper_T

Football and gambling on 15:31 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

If they think people need to be nannied perhaps Luton ought to put Mary Poppins on their shirt?

Society in general absolutely does need to be nannied because vulnerable people within it will always be exploited and have their lives ruined by gambling/drugs/alcohol etc.

Betting companies should be banned from advertising on TV. It's a trigger, and it's very effective on addicts (otherwise they wouldn't spend so much money doing it).
Football and gambling on 16:43 - Jan 10 with 1311 viewsGlyn1

Football and gambling on 15:31 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

Being nannied - like forcing motorists to drive on one side of the road instead of whichever side they like?

It's usually better to read an article before commenting on it, and the Guardian article is well worth reading.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2019 16:44]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Football and gambling on 19:42 - Jan 10 with 1237 viewsLohengrin

Football and gambling on 16:43 - Jan 10 by Glyn1

Being nannied - like forcing motorists to drive on one side of the road instead of whichever side they like?

It's usually better to read an article before commenting on it, and the Guardian article is well worth reading.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2019 16:44]

That’s right, because picking a few horses and doing a Lucky 15 on a Saturday morning is exactly like driving on the wrong side of the road.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Football and gambling on 21:57 - Jan 10 with 1155 viewsjasper_T

Football and gambling on 19:42 - Jan 10 by Lohengrin

That’s right, because picking a few horses and doing a Lucky 15 on a Saturday morning is exactly like driving on the wrong side of the road.

You don't need to be bombarded with advertisements to do those things.

Constant advertising ensures that the people with addiction issues cannot stop at just those things.

The rules of the road are written to protect everyone who drives upon it, not just the capable majority of drivers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024