Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No more speeding? 16:13 - Mar 26 with 5648 viewsAnotherJohn

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6851299/All-new-cars-fitted-man

Today the copyright directive, tomorrow this.

One thing that concerns me about the "rules-based international order" that the EU promotes is the way the space for political decision making in nation states diminishes as more and more things become matters of law.. In other words we lose our ability to ask our politicians to change things because they are no longer matters that national Parliaments can change. This is what the German philosopher-sociologist Jurgen Habermas called juridification - the colonisation of the lifeworld by law - and I really don't like it. In one of last year's best books Yoram Hazony writes that there are only nation states and empires, and I don't fancy being in an empire.
No more speeding? on 18:27 - Mar 26 with 4143 viewshowenjack

Rules based ? have a look at this...

No more speeding? on 18:55 - Mar 26 with 4112 viewsPozuelosSideys

Like anything else, its about control.

Control the internet, track your movement, then make society cashless.

Job done.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

No more speeding? on 20:08 - Mar 26 with 4056 viewsLeonWasGod

Seems sensible to me, and evidence backs it up. I’m surprised we’d voluntarily introduce this though as fines are such a revenue earner.

Although I’m reminded of the old one that speeding never killed anyone, it’s stopping suddenly that does that.
No more speeding? on 20:17 - Mar 26 with 4046 viewsAnotherJohn

No more speeding? on 20:08 - Mar 26 by LeonWasGod

Seems sensible to me, and evidence backs it up. I’m surprised we’d voluntarily introduce this though as fines are such a revenue earner.

Although I’m reminded of the old one that speeding never killed anyone, it’s stopping suddenly that does that.

And this one on copyright? It is the general creep and direction of travel that worries me, rather than any one single development. Will we have Newsnow much longer?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/25/protesters-in-germany-say-new-eu-law-will-enable

https://admin.express.co.uk/news/world/1105078/eu-copyright-bill-latest-berlin-p
No more speeding? on 22:18 - Mar 26 with 3963 viewsPozuelosSideys

No more speeding? on 20:17 - Mar 26 by AnotherJohn

And this one on copyright? It is the general creep and direction of travel that worries me, rather than any one single development. Will we have Newsnow much longer?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/25/protesters-in-germany-say-new-eu-law-will-enable

https://admin.express.co.uk/news/world/1105078/eu-copyright-bill-latest-berlin-p

There will be a continued creep towards controlling information and the news as well. Look at the "forget me" piece that indviduals can now request the removal of any info on the internet that can identify them - even if true and even if it can be proven - whether they did something legal or illegal.

This is a dangerous path. Although the speeding thing is a sensibleish idea, it will be misused by the powers that be.And the masses nod like dogs.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

No more speeding? on 23:52 - Mar 26 with 3891 viewscontroversial_jack

The police won't be happy, that will be the end of their revenue collecting racket. We will have driverless cars in the future, so what's the big deal?
No more speeding? on 07:47 - Mar 27 with 3806 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Will make congestioned even work everyone will be cruising in the outside line on motorways at 70mph. On dual carriageways will be even worse car a limited to 70.1 mph trying to overtake car b limited to 70mph just about getting past until the next hill. At present two HG vehicles limited to 56mph can take over a mile to pass each other causing huge queues behind them.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

No more speeding? on 07:53 - Mar 27 with 3792 viewssquarebear

Won’t the police simply concentrate their efforts on capturing speeders in 30mph zones?
Login to get fewer ads

No more speeding? on 07:59 - Mar 27 with 3778 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cars will be limited to 30mph. They will be using GPS positioning to limit speed to the speed limit in the area and country you are driving in.
Hope their software is more reliable than Boeing's
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 8:01]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

No more speeding? on 08:01 - Mar 27 with 3776 viewssquarebear

No more speeding? on 07:59 - Mar 27 by felixstowe_jack

Cars will be limited to 30mph. They will be using GPS positioning to limit speed to the speed limit in the area and country you are driving in.
Hope their software is more reliable than Boeing's
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 8:01]

Yes, I’ve finally got off my arse and read the article. Cheers, I get it now :)
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 8:02]
No more speeding? on 08:06 - Mar 27 with 3764 viewsMuteswan

No more speeding? on 07:47 - Mar 27 by felixstowe_jack

Will make congestioned even work everyone will be cruising in the outside line on motorways at 70mph. On dual carriageways will be even worse car a limited to 70.1 mph trying to overtake car b limited to 70mph just about getting past until the next hill. At present two HG vehicles limited to 56mph can take over a mile to pass each other causing huge queues behind them.

I agree, but it will be a nightmare when you have the new cars with the limiters and older cars without, travelling along on a 3/4 lane motorway with variable speed limits. If the speed limit changes, the new limited cars would slow to the limit and other older cars could still be travelling at the higher speed possibly undertaking slower, limited cars when they are trying to change lanes into a slower lane. I appreciate that this happens at the moment, but the limited cars couldn’t accelerate to take the opportunity of a gap inside so would get stuck where they were and frustration might take over. Multiply this by quite a lot of limited and non- limited cars in a queue of a couple of miles and I think it would lead to a lot more accidents. Sounds like a good idea but needs to be implemented very carefully.
No more speeding? on 08:10 - Mar 27 with 3752 viewsLord_Bony

Nice to know the system can be over ridden at the touch of a button.

It's coming down the pipe people, get used to it.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

No more speeding? on 08:58 - Mar 27 with 3717 viewschad

Here’s hoping they do extensive realistic traffic flow simulations. Rather than just saying whoops afterwards.

I agree excessive speeding is an issue, but if they do do away with the facility to fully overrride in an emergency situation, there will be no more accelerating out of danger just use that last second to kiss your ass goodbye, unless you are lucky enough to have an ejector seat
No more speeding? on 09:12 - Mar 27 with 3707 viewswestside

If it works off GPS then does that work off the Galelio satellite which is the EU's satellite which we may not have access to after Brexit
No more speeding? on 13:03 - Mar 27 with 3649 viewsNeath_Jack

About time too.

I'd go further and say that all cars MUST have it by 2030, otherwise they are not allowed on the roads.

All this accelerating to get out of trouble is a load of old fanny, brake instead. I can't ever remember thinking, oh lucky I've got a fast car to avoid that hazard just then.

The UK's Vehicle Certification Agency has previously said the UK will align with EU vehicle standards after Brexit.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

No more speeding? on 13:27 - Mar 27 with 3626 viewschad

No more speeding? on 13:03 - Mar 27 by Neath_Jack

About time too.

I'd go further and say that all cars MUST have it by 2030, otherwise they are not allowed on the roads.

All this accelerating to get out of trouble is a load of old fanny, brake instead. I can't ever remember thinking, oh lucky I've got a fast car to avoid that hazard just then.

The UK's Vehicle Certification Agency has previously said the UK will align with EU vehicle standards after Brexit.

It wasn’t a load of a old fanny when overtaking a long artic that was overtaking a lorry we ended up in the outside lane, not speeding, when we came across a car broken down in the fast lane on a curve in the motorway. It was too late to brake we could not move over because we were trapped in by the artic. The only thing we could do was accelerate to get in front of the artic before we hit the stationary vehicle, otherwise we would have all probably been dead. This was just a family car, with a family in it,not a performance vehicle.

As I said I agree about general speeding and also have serious concerns when I often see cars driving erratically on the motorway and realise they are on their phones.
No more speeding? on 13:40 - Mar 27 with 3615 viewslondonlisa2001

No more speeding? on 13:27 - Mar 27 by chad

It wasn’t a load of a old fanny when overtaking a long artic that was overtaking a lorry we ended up in the outside lane, not speeding, when we came across a car broken down in the fast lane on a curve in the motorway. It was too late to brake we could not move over because we were trapped in by the artic. The only thing we could do was accelerate to get in front of the artic before we hit the stationary vehicle, otherwise we would have all probably been dead. This was just a family car, with a family in it,not a performance vehicle.

As I said I agree about general speeding and also have serious concerns when I often see cars driving erratically on the motorway and realise they are on their phones.

The system won’t prevent that from happening though.

Why don’t people actually read what is being proposed.
No more speeding? on 13:44 - Mar 27 with 3614 viewscostalotta

About time too.

Theres different speed limits across Europe.

France, it can depend on the weather too!
No more speeding? on 13:45 - Mar 27 with 3613 viewsNeath_Jack

No more speeding? on 13:27 - Mar 27 by chad

That's a cool story, and glad you all got out safely.

But... A lorry is governed to what, 58mph? The speed limit on a motorway is 70mph, so you would still have been able to accelerate yourself out of danger anyway. Are there blind bends on a motorway by the way, i can't think of any to be honest. Maybe your driver was distracted momentarily, which prevented him/her from seeing the broken down car up ahead? So many questions for such a small story.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

No more speeding? on 13:47 - Mar 27 with 3609 viewsNeath_Jack

No more speeding? on 13:44 - Mar 27 by costalotta

There's different speed limits here too.

No more speeding? on 13:52 - Mar 27 with 3604 viewslondonlisa2001

No more speeding? on 13:44 - Mar 27 by costalotta

It depends on the weather here as well on ‘smart’ motorways.
No more speeding? on 13:58 - Mar 27 with 3595 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Most of the time it would be a pleasure to be able to drive at anywhere near the speed limit.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

No more speeding? on 14:06 - Mar 27 with 3578 viewscostalotta

No more speeding? on 13:47 - Mar 27 by Neath_Jack

There's different speed limits here too.

Not down the weather there's not.

On motorways in France no rain speed limit is 130km, same road but raining speed limit is 110km
No more speeding? on 14:06 - Mar 27 with 3578 viewsBanosswan

About time too.

Strange, when teaching me to drive, my father (a traffic policeman and qualified advanced driving Examiner) would often advise me to change to a lower gear to have the flexibility to get out of certain situations.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

No more speeding? on 14:15 - Mar 27 with 3564 viewsJoe_bradshaw

About time too.

When there's a massive lorry right up your backside breaking isn't a good idea. The Institute of Advanced Motorists isn't wrong, there are times when accelerating out of trouble is appropriate.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024