Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What makes the perfect pub...? 18:38 - Apr 26 with 1541 viewsBrynCartwright

Just wondering what you all think contributes towards the best elements of the ideal boozer...?

Interesting, funny and diverse people.
Great beer.
Good food.
Established pool and darts leagues.
Good beer garden.
Sports coverage.

..and if all the above are covered what is the best pub in South West Wales?

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

What makes the perfect pub...? on 18:46 - Apr 26 with 1539 viewscontroversial_jack

Strippers!
What makes the perfect pub...? on 19:00 - Apr 26 with 1508 viewsSwanjaxs

For a pub to survive nowadays it has to offer good food, long gone are the days when the only food available would be crisps, peanuts, pies, pasties ect, you'll still get your local boozer offering traditional fair such as pool/darts but I'm afraid thier days might be numbered with four local pubs a week closing for good on average

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

What makes the perfect pub...? on 19:01 - Apr 26 with 1507 viewsFlashberryjack

Interesting, funny and diverse people. - Most definitely
Great beer. - Reasonably Priced
Good food. - Not essential.
Established pool and darts leagues. - No
Good beer garden. - Yes
Sports coverage. - Definitely
And a
Friendly Landlord/Landlady.

Tafarn-y-Garreg

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

What makes the perfect pub...? on 19:40 - Apr 26 with 1476 viewsdickythorpe

I think you need to try and cater for all if you have the space and location.
A beer garden or outside area is a must.
Stick with what you know but keep an eye on trends, but never lose the sight that you have early regulars and late regulars plus visitors that will always return.
Nothing better than nipping into a pub 11am with a paper or book and enjoying the peacefulness.The same pub at 9pm may be rammed and bouncing with noise!
I like seeing that extreme when I go on my jaunts.

Good food is a must with ideally a separate area plus you have to have a quick bites menu.

There's so much really. Support local suppliers of food and drink.

Britannia Inn Llanmadoc, Whitemill Inn outside Carmarthen, New Inn & Amroth Arms Amroth plus too many village pubs in Pembs / Gower to mention.

I do like the marina in Swansea and feel the Tug & Turbot has never been replaced.

Also good staff that don't judge regardless of whether you are in overalls, suit and tie, shorts. Dress code is unimportant, tidy people are.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2019 19:41]
What makes the perfect pub...? on 19:54 - Apr 26 with 1455 viewsleighton1318

Nice smile/ welcome and quick service at the bar is a must. Amazing how many pubs fail on this entry level question.
What makes the perfect pub...? on 19:56 - Apr 26 with 1450 viewsNeath_Jack

No food.
Good Jukebox.
Open fire.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

What makes the perfect pub...? on 20:01 - Apr 26 with 1446 viewsPentyrchJack

Dog friendly.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

What makes the perfect pub...? on 20:02 - Apr 26 with 1446 viewsdickythorpe

What makes the perfect pub...? on 19:54 - Apr 26 by leighton1318

Nice smile/ welcome and quick service at the bar is a must. Amazing how many pubs fail on this entry level question.

Yeah, clear and obvious space to order at the bar. Hate pubs that have stools right by the till/order point!!!!!

Good toilets too!!!! Many still fail on this.
Login to get fewer ads

What makes the perfect pub...? on 20:20 - Apr 26 with 1424 viewsbluey_the_blue

Beer and sports on TV. Only two things needed.
What makes the perfect pub...? on 20:23 - Apr 26 with 1421 viewsCooperman

It’s horses for courses.

If I’m with my wife and attempting to get my leg over later that night then it’s a comfy sofa next to an open fire. Alternatively if it ain’t gonna happen then a nice varied menu and strong reputation is essential (Drovers, Llanelli or Brwygwyn, Pwll tick the boxes).

If it’s a sunny day pint then a good beer garden is the way to go (White Lion, Felinfoel is my local).

If with mates then multi screen sports options are essential (pick any random franchise pub)

I’ve never been any good at darts but used to be a regular on the Monday night pool league scene so I’ll still dabble at it.

As for musical taste, I’ll go with the flow.

I’ll drink most things alcoholic and don’t come across many bad pints these days.

Great OP subject, Bryn.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

What makes the perfect pub...? on 20:26 - Apr 26 with 1416 viewsProfessor

Depends on what you want/feel like I think. There is a small chain of pubs mainly in North Wales, Cheshire and Shrewsbury (Brunning Price ) which do good food and beer, but sometim es you just want a pint overlooking the Deeside marshes with the dog- for which a tiny old colllier’s pub The Harp is just the ticket. I was very fond of the Flora opposite my flat in Cathays when I did my PhD. A run of the mill Brains pub with a nice mix of local and students. My favourite though is the Bell at Aldworth on the Berkshire downs. When I lived nearby it had no draught lager but a range of local beers and food restricted to warm crusty rolls with thick slabs of meat (ham, turkey or salt beef) , cheddar with or without onion, Stilton, crab and prawns. Lovely garden and roaring fires inside
What makes the perfect pub...? on 20:28 - Apr 26 with 1408 viewsLeonWasGod

Gastro pubs and sports TV are the 2 things that have ruined the perfect pub imo. Times changed though and I can understand why they need these things. Plough & Harrow is my local - it's ok (obviously good as a food pub). The lack of screens is a big plus as people actually talk to each other. Weird eh?
What makes the perfect pub...? on 22:45 - Apr 26 with 1302 viewsbuilthjack

I like a local pub, 6 real ales, then once the barrel goes, he puts a different one on. So some nights, you can drink the 6 plus any changeovers. So usually 9 or 10.
No tv, no jukebox, just chat and beer.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

What makes the perfect pub...? on 07:22 - Apr 27 with 1215 viewssquarebear

What makes the perfect pub...? on 20:20 - Apr 26 by bluey_the_blue

Beer and sports on TV. Only two things needed.

I reckon you're half-right.
What makes the perfect pub...? on 08:25 - Apr 27 with 1192 viewsGeoffThom

Ireland has the perfect balance in pubs
In swansea the worst thing they did to pubs was revamp them in the 70s and 80s we've hardly any character pubs left
What makes the perfect pub...? on 12:32 - Apr 27 with 1121 viewscontroversial_jack

What makes the perfect pub...? on 08:25 - Apr 27 by GeoffThom

Ireland has the perfect balance in pubs
In swansea the worst thing they did to pubs was revamp them in the 70s and 80s we've hardly any character pubs left

There are Irish theme pubs in every city I have been in. Never been to Ireland, but Irish pubs and Wetherspoons are dreadful imo.
What makes the perfect pub...? on 12:59 - Apr 27 with 1100 viewsdickythorpe

What makes the perfect pub...? on 12:32 - Apr 27 by controversial_jack

There are Irish theme pubs in every city I have been in. Never been to Ireland, but Irish pubs and Wetherspoons are dreadful imo.

Wetherspoons in Morriston is outstanding.
I miss O'Neil's in the Kingsway.
What makes the perfect pub...? on 17:49 - Apr 27 with 1058 viewsGeoffThom

What makes the perfect pub...? on 12:32 - Apr 27 by controversial_jack

That's why you don't understand what I've said it's not Irish pubs ,it's pubs in general in Ireland they are still proper old boozers with character, not dickie mod pubs
What makes the perfect pub...? on 18:08 - Apr 27 with 1048 viewsDr_Winston

A decent range of beers.
No screaming kids.
Music at low volume or basically none at all.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

What makes the perfect pub...? on 18:24 - Apr 27 with 1038 viewsBrynCartwright

What makes the perfect pub...? on 17:49 - Apr 27 by GeoffThom

That's why you don't understand what I've said it's not Irish pubs ,it's pubs in general in Ireland they are still proper old boozers with character, not dickie mod pubs

The brilliant Irish pubs you are on about are so brilliantly described in Pete McCarthy's "McCarthy's Bar",which is one of my favourite and funniest books of all time.. What a pure gem it is from Pete,...who is sadly no longer with us...

...bars that are on one side pubs, on the other general stores or..

...bars that are on side pubs, on the other cobblers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthy%27s_Bar

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

What makes the perfect pub...? on 23:16 - Apr 27 with 969 viewsexiledclaseboy

Don’t allow kids.
No food. Go to a restaurant if you’re hungry.
Welcome dogs.

Poll: Tory leader

What makes the perfect pub...? on 07:36 - Apr 28 with 910 viewsvetchonian

What makes the perfect pub...? on 19:00 - Apr 26 by Swanjaxs

For a pub to survive nowadays it has to offer good food, long gone are the days when the only food available would be crisps, peanuts, pies, pasties ect, you'll still get your local boozer offering traditional fair such as pool/darts but I'm afraid thier days might be numbered with four local pubs a week closing for good on average

The Pilot seems to do ok without food
!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

What makes the perfect pub...? on 08:49 - Apr 28 with 882 viewsraynor94

What makes the perfect pub...? on 23:16 - Apr 27 by exiledclaseboy

Don’t allow kids.
No food. Go to a restaurant if you’re hungry.
Welcome dogs.

100% no kids, they're even fetching them in prams these days!

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

What makes the perfect pub...? on 09:11 - Apr 28 with 872 viewsswancity

Swearing fighting smoking loud people drunks ...those were the days is it any wonder that pubs are a thing of the past.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024