Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today 10:19 - Jun 6 with 1550 viewstheloneranger

This song by 90 year old Normandy veteran Jim Radford says it all ...

The song's lyrics are about men who "stormed the gates of hell" and "died upon that blood-soaked sand".

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 13:08 - Jun 6 with 1100 viewsdickythorpe

What these veterans must be thinking about the Britain we have today?
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 13:15 - Jun 6 with 1096 viewsBrynCartwright

Gonads of steel on the lot of them! The opening scene in Saving Private Ryan is one of the most unforgettable I have ever witnessed in cinema. Completely horrific and I am in awe of their courage.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 13:37 - Jun 6 with 1071 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 13:08 - Jun 6 by dickythorpe

What these veterans must be thinking about the Britain we have today?

What they must think of ppl voting for the extreme right like Farage, the very kind they fought against
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 14:01 - Jun 6 with 1061 viewsProfessor

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 13:37 - Jun 6 by controversial_jack

What they must think of ppl voting for the extreme right like Farage, the very kind they fought against

Not a lot. Although Brexit support is usually associated with the older generations, the people who lived the war are generally more against it. It is their kids brought up in the 50s and 60s who were the greatest supporters.

On days like today I remember my grandfather. He served 1936-1947 initially in the Sherwood Foresters ( pioneer battalion). He was in France in 1940, but did not get out at Dunkirk. Little known that over 100, 000 troops got out via western ports (including nearly all pioneer battalions). His regiment were cut off at the Loire and ended up getting out mid-June at LaRochelle. He then was part of the Iceland Garrison for three years until recalled in 1943. Landed mid-afternoon on D-Day and was involved in initial construction of the Mulberry Harbour at Arromanches. Later in 1944 was in the force liberating the Netherlands when he was shot in the buttocks. Was rehabilitated in South Wales where he met my grandmother and then settled. Served post war as an MP in Palestine.

One of many 'ordinary' men and women who acted with courage. So, Robert George Henry Tabor I salute you along with every other man and woman who fought to preserve our freedom.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 14:32]
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 14:19 - Jun 6 with 1051 viewsBatterseajack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 14:26 - Jun 6 with 1043 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 14:01 - Jun 6 by Professor

Not a lot. Although Brexit support is usually associated with the older generations, the people who lived the war are generally more against it. It is their kids brought up in the 50s and 60s who were the greatest supporters.

On days like today I remember my grandfather. He served 1936-1947 initially in the Sherwood Foresters ( pioneer battalion). He was in France in 1940, but did not get out at Dunkirk. Little known that over 100, 000 troops got out via western ports (including nearly all pioneer battalions). His regiment were cut off at the Loire and ended up getting out mid-June at LaRochelle. He then was part of the Iceland Garrison for three years until recalled in 1943. Landed mid-afternoon on D-Day and was involved in initial construction of the Mulberry Harbour at Arromanches. Later in 1944 was in the force liberating the Netherlands when he was shot in the buttocks. Was rehabilitated in South Wales where he met my grandmother and then settled. Served post war as an MP in Palestine.

One of many 'ordinary' men and women who acted with courage. So, Robert George Henry Tabor I salute you along with every other man and woman who fought to preserve our freedom.

Not to play it down at all, but D day was just one battle of many. there was worse fighting to come before the war ended and in Asia too, not just Europe
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 14:38 - Jun 6 with 1025 viewsProfessor

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 14:26 - Jun 6 by controversial_jack

Not to play it down at all, but D day was just one battle of many. there was worse fighting to come before the war ended and in Asia too, not just Europe

Absolutely-we know far less of the Pacific and Eastern Front in this country too. Was in Philippines last week. The university I work with has a large central field-this was a Japanese concentration camp. Late on in the war the Japanese started shooting people-leading to a large airborne operation to liberate the city. So much went on, but the focus around D day is still justified I think.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 16:00 - Jun 6 with 995 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 14:38 - Jun 6 by Professor

Absolutely-we know far less of the Pacific and Eastern Front in this country too. Was in Philippines last week. The university I work with has a large central field-this was a Japanese concentration camp. Late on in the war the Japanese started shooting people-leading to a large airborne operation to liberate the city. So much went on, but the focus around D day is still justified I think.

Yes, it was the beginning of the liberation of western Europe. I haven't heard any mention of the Generals and commanders who planned and executed the operation.For all his critics, who were mostly American, Montgomery, was the architect of victory. Operation overlord was his plan , and it carried on almost until the Germans surrendered.He may have been slow and cautious, but he got the job done with the minimum of casualties. A great if unspectacular general imo.
Login to get fewer ads

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 16:20 - Jun 6 with 980 viewsladyjack

Yes they are the ones prof, not the war generation but their children, they ruined the country, they voted Thatcher and Blair all at the alter of greed and for good measure they are then said to have voted 'leave' in their droves.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 17:04]
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 16:48 - Jun 6 with 961 viewsProfessor

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 16:00 - Jun 6 by controversial_jack

Yes, it was the beginning of the liberation of western Europe. I haven't heard any mention of the Generals and commanders who planned and executed the operation.For all his critics, who were mostly American, Montgomery, was the architect of victory. Operation overlord was his plan , and it carried on almost until the Germans surrendered.He may have been slow and cautious, but he got the job done with the minimum of casualties. A great if unspectacular general imo.

He had a good record. Sadly soured by the failure of ‘Market Garden’ to secure the bridge at Arnhem.

If you are ever in New Orleans then I strongly recommend the US National WW2 Museum. New Orleans built many of the landing craft used in D-Day. Clearly it is US-centric but once you get over how they one the war it is really interesting. Essentially it tells three stories of the US pre- Pearl Harbor and the structure of the US military, the road to Berlin and the road to Tokyo. Another pavilion houses planes, tanks etc. Had a wonderful conversation with a carrier- based pilot. Did not have enough time to do it justice
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 17:06 - Jun 6 with 947 viewsladyjack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 16:48 - Jun 6 by Professor

He had a good record. Sadly soured by the failure of ‘Market Garden’ to secure the bridge at Arnhem.

If you are ever in New Orleans then I strongly recommend the US National WW2 Museum. New Orleans built many of the landing craft used in D-Day. Clearly it is US-centric but once you get over how they one the war it is really interesting. Essentially it tells three stories of the US pre- Pearl Harbor and the structure of the US military, the road to Berlin and the road to Tokyo. Another pavilion houses planes, tanks etc. Had a wonderful conversation with a carrier- based pilot. Did not have enough time to do it justice

Did the British know about Pearl Harbour in advance ?
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 17:14 - Jun 6 with 930 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 17:06 - Jun 6 by ladyjack

Did the British know about Pearl Harbour in advance ?

The Americans did too, but not when or where.They knew something was coming
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 17:30 - Jun 6 with 918 viewsladyjack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 17:14 - Jun 6 by controversial_jack

The Americans did too, but not when or where.They knew something was coming

One story is the British had found out, when, where, why and what and let it play out.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 17:45 - Jun 6 with 900 viewsTreforys_Jack

The evacuation from la Rochelle, Cherbourg and St Nazaire is indeed little known , off the top of my head it was just under 200,000 men evacuated, and the lancastria disaster was censored and wasn't publicly reported until yrs later.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 18:03 - Jun 6 with 880 viewsDr_Winston

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 16:48 - Jun 6 by Professor

Montgomery was a cautious general, but then he had to be. He had nothing like the resources available to American contemporaries such as Patton, or the willingness to send hundreds of thousands of men into the meat grinder like Zhukov. It's ironic that on the one occasion where he was allowed to make a big, risky operation it went tits up.

Harold Alexander was probably Britain's best General of the war. Omar Bradley and Eisenhower both spoke very highly of him.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 18:40 - Jun 6 with 855 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 18:03 - Jun 6 by Dr_Winston

Montgomery was a cautious general, but then he had to be. He had nothing like the resources available to American contemporaries such as Patton, or the willingness to send hundreds of thousands of men into the meat grinder like Zhukov. It's ironic that on the one occasion where he was allowed to make a big, risky operation it went tits up.

Harold Alexander was probably Britain's best General of the war. Omar Bradley and Eisenhower both spoke very highly of him.

Good post. Blood and guts generals like Patton tend to get more casualties, and in fact, did no better in fixed battles then did Monty or his like.

Alexander looked and spoke the part, so that would have impressed the Americans, not sure his record is all that great.

Probably the best British general was Bill Slim. He turned the 14th army in Burma from a defeated shell shocked rabble into a superb unit.He Showed them how to defend against the japs and then went on the offensive and routed two entire Jap armies.He showed that the Japs were mortal after all.He was loved by his men too.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 19:01 - Jun 6 with 836 viewsladyjack

According to some the conspiracy theory regarding Pearl Harbor was not that Churchill knew but that Eisenhower/they both knew.

The British had a highly developed and quite effective intelligence service all over the World, there again the British owned most of the World, lol and had lots of people working for them all over the World some of them locals.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 19:20]
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 19:25 - Jun 6 with 802 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

BBC Radio 4 asked an interesting question today, D Day opened up another front with the Germans, the Russians fighting Germany in the East lost 20 million in WW2 but no invite to the events to remember D- Day?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 19:34 - Jun 6 with 795 viewscontroversial_jack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 19:25 - Jun 6 by JACKMANANDBOY

BBC Radio 4 asked an interesting question today, D Day opened up another front with the Germans, the Russians fighting Germany in the East lost 20 million in WW2 but no invite to the events to remember D- Day?

Very good question indeed.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 19:50 - Jun 6 with 778 viewsladyjack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 19:25 - Jun 6 by JACKMANANDBOY

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:01 - Jun 6 with 763 viewsladyjack

Sergei Lavrov is a very impressive operator, not sure how he gets on with Putin as Lavrov is a Spartak fan whereas Putin is a Zenit fan.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:22 - Jun 6 with 739 viewsProfessor

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 18:40 - Jun 6 by controversial_jack

Good post. Blood and guts generals like Patton tend to get more casualties, and in fact, did no better in fixed battles then did Monty or his like.

Alexander looked and spoke the part, so that would have impressed the Americans, not sure his record is all that great.

Probably the best British general was Bill Slim. He turned the 14th army in Burma from a defeated shell shocked rabble into a superb unit.He Showed them how to defend against the japs and then went on the offensive and routed two entire Jap armies.He showed that the Japs were mortal after all.He was loved by his men too.

mention of the Burma campaign also brings back memories of an emeritus professor from
Bridgend who helped me greatly when I started at Liverpool Vet School. Despite being in his late 80s already Frank Jordan still had a keen mind, though the body was a little more frail. We did some little research projects together, almost like a grandad making models with his grandson. We published together when he was 93. He passed away four years ago at 95. Although one of the UKs most eminent poultry scientists with a fierce reputation when younger, he would never let on about his service in the RAVC in Burma. Frank worked in the field, maintaing the health of the mules needed to supply deep into the jungle. Most cruciallly he maintained the mules of the Chindits and performed surgery on these beasts to ‘de-voice’ them. As said earlier, it was such an enormous war, it is near impossible to consider and recognise so many people’s sacrifices. I don’t think Captain Jordan ever fired a gun in anger, but contributed in the best way he could.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:31 - Jun 6 with 726 viewsladyjack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:22 - Jun 6 by Professor

mention of the Burma campaign also brings back memories of an emeritus professor from
Bridgend who helped me greatly when I started at Liverpool Vet School. Despite being in his late 80s already Frank Jordan still had a keen mind, though the body was a little more frail. We did some little research projects together, almost like a grandad making models with his grandson. We published together when he was 93. He passed away four years ago at 95. Although one of the UKs most eminent poultry scientists with a fierce reputation when younger, he would never let on about his service in the RAVC in Burma. Frank worked in the field, maintaing the health of the mules needed to supply deep into the jungle. Most cruciallly he maintained the mules of the Chindits and performed surgery on these beasts to ‘de-voice’ them. As said earlier, it was such an enormous war, it is near impossible to consider and recognise so many people’s sacrifices. I don’t think Captain Jordan ever fired a gun in anger, but contributed in the best way he could.

How long should free range chickens live for [normal brown hybrids and blackrocks] ? and if they stop laying at what age do they stop ?
Thanks in advance.
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:38 - Jun 6 with 711 viewsProfessor

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:31 - Jun 6 by ladyjack

How long should free range chickens live for [normal brown hybrids and blackrocks] ? and if they stop laying at what age do they stop ?
Thanks in advance.

A commercial hybrid layer like a Lohmann Brown should typically live 3-5 years. Usually they are getting on for two when they start to slow down in terms of egg production- less than six eggs per week. They should lay 3-5 per week until around four and will decline a bit after that. The problem tends to be opportunistic infections as they get older and the immune system declines. Traditional breeds will produce fewer eggs
D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:43 - Jun 6 with 702 viewsladyjack

D Day ... 75 Years Ago Today on 20:38 - Jun 6 by Professor

A commercial hybrid layer like a Lohmann Brown should typically live 3-5 years. Usually they are getting on for two when they start to slow down in terms of egg production- less than six eggs per week. They should lay 3-5 per week until around four and will decline a bit after that. The problem tends to be opportunistic infections as they get older and the immune system declines. Traditional breeds will produce fewer eggs

Thanks Prof.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024