Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Importance of academy highlighted. 18:17 - Aug 16 with 7438 viewsaberhugh

There's nothing quite like the refrain 'He's one of our own.' Fans love to see a player their club has nurtured break into the first team and succeed. In the past few weeks we have seen how the club can generate considerable funds and how an input of young players can bolster the first team. I really enjoyed watching the contribution youngsters made in the cup match this week.
It is a considerable investment for a club like Swansea outside the top tier to maintain it's Category 1 status. The highest rated academies are able to sign the best players and command the largest fees. Category 1 academies have high contact time with young players, require a minimum of 18 full-time staff and an operational budget of £2.5m. Academies are reviewed every two years and re-categorised if necessary. Categorisation is the result of an independent audit.
If we maintain our present status in this league it will take considerable nerve and commitment to finance the academy. This will be especially so when in the lean years we may produce very little of any quality. A concern must also be the possible poaching of academy staff by others and of course the disappointment Cameron Toshack must feel. To avert any exits may again take more money in extra wages.
I did both my referee and coaching badges many years ago and developing young players is full of many unfulfilled dreams and potential never being achieved. This makes our academy really something very special and a jewel to be treasured.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 18:22 - Aug 16 with 4698 viewslonglostjack

Great post.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Importance of academy highlighted. on 18:26 - Aug 16 with 4681 viewsGaryjack

Importance of academy highlighted. on 18:22 - Aug 16 by longlostjack

Great post.

I concur
Importance of academy highlighted. on 18:39 - Aug 16 with 4659 viewsNotLoyal

If the club's guardians are serious this will be a no brainer.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Importance of academy highlighted. on 19:11 - Aug 16 with 4592 viewsmorristonboy

I genuinely thought we would not see posters with such class on this site again. Well thought out and delivered. Great contribution.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 19:18 - Aug 16 with 4564 viewsBadlands

Importance of academy highlighted. on 18:39 - Aug 16 by NotLoyal

If the club's guardians are serious this will be a no brainer.

I think we are already seeing the beginning of the end for the high status academy.
Because we raided the older players last season the under 23 weakened and were relegated.
This season we are already looking to promote younger players leaving the under 23s even weaker.
We really need to be bringing in more talented youth.

PS
Very good OP
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 19:19]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Importance of academy highlighted. on 19:19 - Aug 16 with 4560 viewsJackBishop

What we need to be is a mini Southampton in terms of academy. All clubs apart from a few in the world are selling clubs. Aberhugh has made some excellent points.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 20:30 - Aug 16 with 4461 viewsCooperman

You are not Kilkenny and therefore I will not even raise the subject of claiming five pounds.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Importance of academy highlighted. on 23:43 - Aug 16 with 4327 viewsLuther27

The U23s kept us in the Championship last season. The cost of maintaining the academy depends on the ambition of the owners.
Login to get fewer ads

Importance of academy highlighted. on 23:59 - Aug 16 with 4311 viewsJFSwan

If we can develop and sell for the type of money we've had for Mcburnie and James we are laughing.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 01:06 - Aug 17 with 4249 viewsowainglyndwr

Importance of academy highlighted. on 23:59 - Aug 16 by JFSwan

If we can develop and sell for the type of money we've had for Mcburnie and James we are laughing.

Great post
But unfortunately the Americans will be withdrawing funds for the academy .
Watch this space
They are draining the club
Importance of academy highlighted. on 07:08 - Aug 17 with 4130 viewsWhiterockin

Importance of academy highlighted. on 01:06 - Aug 17 by owainglyndwr

Great post
Watch this space

IMO our current squad at the moment, looks stronger than last season, even after banking over £30M.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 08:16 - Aug 17 with 4039 viewsowainglyndwr

Yes I cannot disagree with you there, we even have strength on the bench now.
But I was told that the Americans will not be investing into the academy.
If that turns out to be true it would be a massive loss to us.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 08:42 - Aug 17 with 4015 viewsWhiterockin

Importance of academy highlighted. on 08:16 - Aug 17 by owainglyndwr

Yes I cannot disagree with you there, we even have strength on the bench now.
But I was told that the Americans will not be investing into the academy.
If that turns out to be true it would be a massive loss to us.

Agree with that, but I strongly disagree that they are draining the club.

IMO the previous board made disastrous decisions that we are still paying for. As for draining the club, it is an easy accusation to make but where is the proof that they are taking any money out. I think they are just trying to put it back on a stable footing to sell and cut their losses. That is unless we go back up in the meantime.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 08:58 - Aug 17 with 3992 viewsNotLoyal

Importance of academy highlighted. on 08:42 - Aug 17 by Whiterockin

IMO the previous board made disastrous decisions that we are still paying for. As for draining the club, it is an easy accusation to make but where is the proof that they are taking any money out. I think they are just trying to put it back on a stable footing to sell and cut their losses. That is unless we go back up in the meantime.

Proof is required, and of the debt. Of course disclosure to the trust of the accounts ( proper) would prevent any allegation. The fact they haven't !eaves accusations wide open.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Importance of academy highlighted. on 09:06 - Aug 17 with 3979 viewswestwalesed

Importance of academy highlighted. on 07:08 - Aug 17 by Whiterockin

IMO our current squad at the moment, looks stronger than last season, even after banking over £30M.

Agree with this - far more balanced all around

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Importance of academy highlighted. on 09:44 - Aug 17 with 3929 viewsDr_Winston

Importance of academy highlighted. on 01:06 - Aug 17 by owainglyndwr

Great post
Watch this space

Why didn't they do it last season then?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Importance of academy highlighted. on 09:49 - Aug 17 with 3920 viewsowainglyndwr

Not sure and hopefully I have been given false information about then investment being cut.
Because at the moment it stands our academy is very fruitful
Importance of academy highlighted. on 10:00 - Aug 17 with 3911 viewsPacemaker

Importance of academy highlighted. on 09:49 - Aug 17 by owainglyndwr

Not sure and hopefully I have been given false information about then investment being cut.

In view of the return the owners have had for the relatively small sums paid out then there is no way they will be cutting back on the academy. If that was going to happen the opportunity to cut back was earlier this year and they decided to keep the academy at its current funding.

You can criticise lots of things about the owners and they appear to have been naive but they have been far more open and honest than the previous board.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Importance of academy highlighted. on 10:07 - Aug 17 with 3891 viewsLuther27

Importance of academy highlighted. on 08:42 - Aug 17 by Whiterockin

The previous board set up the academy. As for transfers in and out, I think that subjects been kicked to death over a 3 year period.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 10:17 - Aug 17 with 3879 viewsDr_Winston

The club decided to keep up Academy One funding for another year to be reviewed. There's no real secret about that.

Whether we keep paying the £2m+ pa it costs to run one would depend on whether we can afford to do so I'd imagine.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Importance of academy highlighted. on 10:21 - Aug 17 with 3873 viewsaberhugh

This is when nerve is required. There can be long spells when few young players come through. My coaching experience with youngsters has shown that so many talented players fall by the wayside for a variety of reasons.
If the academy goes through a lean spell keeping the funding and staffing plus paying the young players wages on a par with elsewhere can be difficult to justify.
Importance of academy highlighted. on 10:56 - Aug 17 with 3828 viewsBlue_Blood

Importance of academy highlighted. on 10:21 - Aug 17 by aberhugh

This is when nerve is required. There can be long spells when few young players come through. My coaching experience with youngsters has shown that so many talented players fall by the wayside for a variety of reasons.
If the academy goes through a lean spell keeping the funding and staffing plus paying the young players wages on a par with elsewhere can be difficult to justify.

Whilst I agree with you that there can be lean spells where clubs don't produce players, I think this is often (not always) down to lack of will and desire from the clubs involved.

The academy system (English DNA) is starting to bear fruit in the biggest teams in the premier league now and managers are deeming players from their own youth system better than players on the transfer market!

Leicester, Liverpool, Spurs, Wolves, United, Norwich and even Chelsea are all having success in bringing through their own talent despite having ridiculous funds to buy players.

I honestly think your club would have sunk like a stone if it wasn't for your academy these last two years.

2 players have returned over 35 million ffs! I know others have said that Dan James was signed when you were still category 3, but do you

A) really think he would have signed if he wasn't sold the vision of a category 1 status?
B) have developed at the same rate if he wasn't playing against the top youngsters in the country?

Take the romance of singing "he's one of our own" out of it and talk purely on a business level. You have forked out 20 million max and that includes the facilities and you made 35 million back off two players!

If that's not a good business argument then I don't know what is.

Add to the fact that you have another 7 or 8 players either in or on the cusp of the first team and it's a complete no brainer
Importance of academy highlighted. on 11:17 - Aug 17 with 3800 viewsjasper_T

Hull were and still are a lower category academy than us and the Welsh pull may well have still brought him down if we were staying Cat Two (he used to regularly travel ridiculous distances to be involved in the age group teams when living up there).

Regardless of ongoing status our academy production will change as we're no longer going to be spending six figure sums on players for it. Ryan Blair, Botti Biabi, Jack Withers, Adnan Maric, Tyler Reid and Adam King all departed in the summer and I wouldn't want to add up what they cost us. DJ and McBurnie are two big hits in a pretty long line of misses (ranging from near to abject).
Importance of academy highlighted. on 11:21 - Aug 17 with 3790 viewsDr_Winston

Importance of academy highlighted. on 11:17 - Aug 17 by jasper_T

Hull were and still are a lower category academy than us and the Welsh pull may well have still brought him down if we were staying Cat Two (he used to regularly travel ridiculous distances to be involved in the age group teams when living up there).

Regardless of ongoing status our academy production will change as we're no longer going to be spending six figure sums on players for it. Ryan Blair, Botti Biabi, Jack Withers, Adnan Maric, Tyler Reid and Adam King all departed in the summer and I wouldn't want to add up what they cost us. DJ and McBurnie are two big hits in a pretty long line of misses (ranging from near to abject).

"Ryan Blair, Botti Biabi, Jack Withers, Adnan Maric, Tyler Reid and Adam King all departed in the summer and I wouldn't want to add up what they cost us"

Probably less than Asoro did.

Importance of academy highlighted. on 11:26 - Aug 17 with 3778 viewsjasper_T

Importance of academy highlighted. on 11:21 - Aug 17 by Dr_Winston

"Ryan Blair, Botti Biabi, Jack Withers, Adnan Maric, Tyler Reid and Adam King all departed in the summer and I wouldn't want to add up what they cost us"

Probably less than Asoro did.

You might be surprised. Adam King cost more than McKay according to the manager of his last loan club.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 11:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024