Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mediocre Championship/Promotion 09:33 - Oct 6 with 6165 viewsChrisSCFC

Can't say if it's the "worst ever" or not but the standard across the division is so poor that despite our glaring weaknesses I think we're still a solid candidate for promotion.

Should we manage to go up with Steve Cooper this season we really would have more chance of seeing Elvis alive than actually be competitive, it's hard to imagine the owners financing the complete overhaul of the squad that we'd need to win games playing 'his' style in the Premier League, we'd more likely end up with Rooney, Leroy Fer and a few England U-17's

We had a far better squad back in 2011 featuring Scott Sinclair & a midfield and we weren't given a sniff then, that crop went on to overachieve massively but the talent just isn't there this time around.

Maybe Cooper would unearth half a dozen absolute gems in the transfer window but however limited the sample size his track record in that area hasn't exactly been out of this world so far, whether or not he has the contacts of a Brendan Rodgers is hard to say but he just doesn't seem to have the personality of the man which I think is a key point, he might have been "cringeworthy" at times but he elevated the players to perform beyond their collective ability... not sure he himself with the nation behind him + God on his side could elevate the likes of Byers + Fulton into competent Premier League midfielders by next August mind you.

Uppa Swans.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 9:35]
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:09 - Oct 6 with 4710 viewsjacks777

You’ll end up having a nervous breakdown if you are concerned whether we’d compete in the PL next season.
One game at a time.....up until now we are doing fine..👍
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:13 - Oct 6 with 4704 viewsChrisSCFC

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:09 - Oct 6 by jacks777

You’ll end up having a nervous breakdown if you are concerned whether we’d compete in the PL next season.
One game at a time.....up until now we are doing fine..👍

It is possible to speculate about future events without having a nervous breakdown, boss.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:17 - Oct 6 with 4684 viewsjacks777

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:13 - Oct 6 by ChrisSCFC

It is possible to speculate about future events without having a nervous breakdown, boss.

Next season will take care of itself when it arrives.
At the moment of course Swansea doesn’t have a squad capable of PL survival, but then again no championship club does.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:21 - Oct 6 with 4684 viewsChrisSCFC

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:17 - Oct 6 by jacks777

Next season will take care of itself when it arrives.
At the moment of course Swansea doesn’t have a squad capable of PL survival, but then again no championship club does.

You don't say...?

Bit pedantic aren't you.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:22 - Oct 6 with 4676 viewsjack_lord

I was thinking, during the first half, how we would cope in the Premier if we got promoted when I was watching the passes going astray or giving up possession so easily. Maybe it might be easier as it may be suited to a passing game but then other teams are far more clinical with their finishing in the Premier.
We seemed to fall apart after Naughton went off.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:25 - Oct 6 with 4671 viewsChrisSCFC

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:22 - Oct 6 by jack_lord

I was thinking, during the first half, how we would cope in the Premier if we got promoted when I was watching the passes going astray or giving up possession so easily. Maybe it might be easier as it may be suited to a passing game but then other teams are far more clinical with their finishing in the Premier.
We seemed to fall apart after Naughton went off.

We'd have to spend some serious wedge that's for sure.

Reckon our best shout would be to 'do a Burnley', take the money and do it all over again.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:28 - Oct 6 with 4649 viewsjacks777

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:21 - Oct 6 by ChrisSCFC

You don't say...?

Bit pedantic aren't you.

No not really. Any Swansea fan who’s worried about whether we’ll cope in the PL next season, probably needs to chill out.
Personally I don’t think we’ll even get promoted this season.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:29 - Oct 6 with 4649 viewssainthelens

Over the years the championship has been mediocre, with the exception of 1or 2 sides standing out each season.
This year no different as I see WBA being the standout.
This league is all about and quite obviously staying around top 4/5. Do that in this division you rarely drop away
We seem to have a plan that's working away from home. As long as home form is addressed then the only concern I'd have is the physicality of the league catching up as at times we are bullied out of it. Hang in till January then a midfield "old head" must be the target.
Login to get fewer ads

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:34 - Oct 6 with 4636 viewsChrisSCFC

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:28 - Oct 6 by jacks777

No not really. Any Swansea fan who’s worried about whether we’ll cope in the PL next season, probably needs to chill out.
Personally I don’t think we’ll even get promoted this season.

Bit harsh on the lads, what happened to one game at a time?

Why not?
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:36 - Oct 6 with 4631 viewsChrisSCFC

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:29 - Oct 6 by sainthelens

Over the years the championship has been mediocre, with the exception of 1or 2 sides standing out each season.
This year no different as I see WBA being the standout.
This league is all about and quite obviously staying around top 4/5. Do that in this division you rarely drop away
We seem to have a plan that's working away from home. As long as home form is addressed then the only concern I'd have is the physicality of the league catching up as at times we are bullied out of it. Hang in till January then a midfield "old head" must be the target.

Hopefully a central midfielder aye...not another winger.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 11:31 - Oct 6 with 4529 viewsjacks777

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:34 - Oct 6 by ChrisSCFC

Why not?

I hope I’m wrong.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 12:05 - Oct 6 with 4497 viewsunion_jack

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:34 - Oct 6 by ChrisSCFC

Why not?

Simply, because we are not good enough.

We’ll see over 46 games but I can’t see beyond mid table.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 12:32 - Oct 6 with 4472 viewsDrGonzo

I think we're got some excellent players and this league is there for the taking. Not strengthening our centre midfield may cost us.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 12:42 - Oct 6 with 4458 viewsDr_Winston

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 12:32 - Oct 6 by DrGonzo

I think we're got some excellent players and this league is there for the taking. Not strengthening our centre midfield may cost us.

You're right. As bad as yesterday was, some people need to get a grip.

We have three quarters of a team capable of obtaining automatic promotion. GK, defence and upfront are all more than up to that task. It's the last 25%, the glue that holds it all together, that we have trouble with.

If we can be there or thereabouts come January then the right addition in the middle, be he permanently or on loan, could kick us on during the run in.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 13:29 - Oct 6 with 4391 viewsdickythorpe

It's difficult to be patient in this league but it is game by game.
March not Xmas is the time to look at who are going to be there or thereabouts.
Stoke won't be bottom for long playing like that.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:07 - Oct 6 with 4304 viewsTimTtam

A few weeks ago I thought the Championship was very competitive. But now that I'm seeing so many teams like Swansea, Leeds, & Fulham drop vital points, it looks like the same old story. For at least the last 7 seasons, no team that has been top after 10 games has finished outside the playoffs. If we are at least competitive, we have a shot as making the top 6.

If god forbid we did make it to the PL, we wouldn't need much investment. All we would need is a winger, a strong midfielder, and a left back. I feel it would be smarter to bank the majority of the PL money and not gamble survival.

Looking at the PL now, there are some weak sides. Newcastle are shocking, Watford are underperforming horribly, and Norwich, Brighton, & Sheffield United have cheaper squads. There will always be an opportunity for a team on a low budget to achieve survival.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:16 - Oct 6 with 4290 viewsoldcob

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:07 - Oct 6 by TimTtam

A few weeks ago I thought the Championship was very competitive. But now that I'm seeing so many teams like Swansea, Leeds, & Fulham drop vital points, it looks like the same old story. For at least the last 7 seasons, no team that has been top after 10 games has finished outside the playoffs. If we are at least competitive, we have a shot as making the top 6.

If god forbid we did make it to the PL, we wouldn't need much investment. All we would need is a winger, a strong midfielder, and a left back. I feel it would be smarter to bank the majority of the PL money and not gamble survival.

Looking at the PL now, there are some weak sides. Newcastle are shocking, Watford are underperforming horribly, and Norwich, Brighton, & Sheffield United have cheaper squads. There will always be an opportunity for a team on a low budget to achieve survival.

And a goalkeeper of course. The one we have is on loan.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:17 - Oct 6 with 4285 viewsdickythorpe

Fulham were a far better team than Cardiff but both went straight back down.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:19 - Oct 6 with 4284 viewskarnataka

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 13:29 - Oct 6 by dickythorpe

It's difficult to be patient in this league but it is game by game.
March not Xmas is the time to look at who are going to be there or thereabouts.
Stoke won't be bottom for long playing like that.

"Stoke won't be bottom for long playing like that."

Or is it: Stoke won't be bottom for long if other teams allow them to play like that?
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:26 - Oct 6 with 4271 viewsbluey_the_blue

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:17 - Oct 6 by dickythorpe

Fulham were a far better team than Cardiff but both went straight back down.

Were they?

Promotion season, firmly midtable until the inspired signing of Mitrovic.

In Prem, spent squillions - including buying two new keepers yet went with original keeper. Brought in lots of players, undermining any team spirit, poor defence cost them.

Sure, we went down but both seasons finished above Fulham whilst spending a hell of a lot less.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:38 - Oct 6 with 4261 viewsdickythorpe

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:19 - Oct 6 by karnataka

"Stoke won't be bottom for long playing like that."

Or is it: Stoke won't be bottom for long if other teams allow them to play like that?

Gosh they were far stronger than us in the midfield and had more fight.
They'll be alright.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:39 - Oct 6 with 4260 viewsdickythorpe

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:26 - Oct 6 by bluey_the_blue

Were they?

In Prem, spent squillions - including buying two new keepers yet went with original keeper. Brought in lots of players, undermining any team spirit, poor defence cost them.

Sure, we went down but both seasons finished above Fulham whilst spending a hell of a lot less.

Good lord bluey, premier League embarrassment for you twice now!!!!

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:48 - Oct 6 with 4248 viewsbluey_the_blue

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:39 - Oct 6 by dickythorpe

Good lord bluey, premier League embarrassment for you twice now!!!!

Fulham having spent over 100m and relegating wasn't an embarassment for them?

I just dispute they were a "better" side. For all the plaudits for their style, were gash before Mitrovic joined and finished below us both times...
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:32 - Oct 6 with 4199 viewsTimTtam

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:16 - Oct 6 by oldcob

And a goalkeeper of course. The one we have is on loan.

If we go up we will buy Woodman from Newcastle. 10M for a goalkeeper would basically force them to hand him over.

My name is Matt

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:41 - Oct 6 with 4190 viewsTimTtam

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:26 - Oct 6 by bluey_the_blue

Were they?

We can take the piss all we want about Cardiff's playing style, but their financial decision-making in terms of August signings, was spot on. You didn't spend much and bought a few duds, but it allowed you a shot at survival and ensured if you were relegated, that you would have plenty of money left. That financial situation has become clouded recently, but to begin with the right financial approach was made.

Fulham's approach was disgraceful. Aston Villa have copied them. I so hope that Villa go down. The teams that got both teams promoted were essentially decimated.

Luckily I'm not, but if I was in change of Swansea and we got promoted, I would spend very little on players/wages, and instead spend the money on the academy and/or a stadium expansion. It can be done. Look at Burnley. Played Europa League last season, and now they're back to 7th again.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 17:42]

My name is Matt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024