Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Multiroom speakers 17:29 - Dec 26 with 2062 viewsBLAZE

Is it possible to stream mp3s from your phone, to multiroom speakers placed around your house?

I know you can stream from the likes of Spotify and Prime etc. around your house, but I want to avoid subscription services

I also know you can stream from your phone to a speaker over Bluetooth, but to my knowledge only the speaker you connect to will play the music

I've tried Google but it was a bit of a minefiled
Multiroom speakers on 18:05 - Dec 26 with 2033 viewsCooperman

Android OS used to have a multi connection option but I’m no expert on Android.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Multiroom speakers on 18:12 - Dec 26 with 2018 viewsmonmouth

I'm still a Meridian/Linn/Naim man spinning various sized discs. I do need to move into 21st century I suppose. I know that these multiroom controllers exist but the ones I saw were bloody expensive, so the subscriptions will be a lot cheaper. See, I already know less than you. Sorry, shit reply.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Multiroom speakers on 18:28 - Dec 26 with 2004 viewsjedijack

Chromecasts would be an option for it with speakers created as groups. Nice and cheap if you already have audio devices to connect them to.

I've got a Yahama Musiccast speaker that I use in the bedroom. It has multitroom ability but I've never used it.

Regarding subscription fees google play music is awesome, used it for ages. Just upload your own library to it and stream for free.
Multiroom speakers on 18:43 - Dec 26 with 1976 viewsBLAZE

Thanks chaps, I've learned a few new words if nothing else!

Jedi... So I could have Google Play on my phone, with my MP3 collection synced to it. I could then place chromecast speakers around the house and control it all (music playback, individual volume controls etc.) directly from my Phone? All over my wifi network, I assume?

Would I need to be looking at unlimited data packages if I plan on doing this?

Thanks
Multiroom speakers on 18:53 - Dec 26 with 1964 viewsjedijack

Multiroom speakers on 18:43 - Dec 26 by BLAZE

Thanks chaps, I've learned a few new words if nothing else!

Jedi... So I could have Google Play on my phone, with my MP3 collection synced to it. I could then place chromecast speakers around the house and control it all (music playback, individual volume controls etc.) directly from my Phone? All over my wifi network, I assume?

Would I need to be looking at unlimited data packages if I plan on doing this?

Thanks

I believe so mate. Never done it personally but watched a video a while back of a guy who put multiroom in virtually every room in his house using chromecasts. Even in his kids bedroom connected to a TV HDMI port. It's the avenue I'd be looking at, if I had a purpose for multiroom mate.

I'm pretty sure I have 2 chromecasts here, hardly used, 1 is certainly not being used at all. You're welcome to have it to get you started.

Unlimited data in what sense mate?
Multiroom speakers on 19:05 - Dec 26 with 1948 viewsBLAZE

I may be interested in that, PM me a price buddy

Regarding data, I assumed streaming over your own wifi network may have eaten into your download limits or something, but I'm probably being thick
Multiroom speakers on 02:06 - Dec 27 with 1843 viewsBLAZE

This thread has pointed me in the right direction I think, so for anybody else who may be interested...

The Google Home, Google Nest Hub and Google Nest Mini are currently on offer in Currys for £49, £59 and £34 respectively and reviews suggest the speaker quality is decent (though not if you're an audiophile I suspect)

I reckon a combination of these (probably 2x Home, 1x Nest Hub and 1x Nest Mini) will cover my place quite nicely for under £200

Then I can upload my collection of MP3s to Google Music (which as Jedi informed, is free for up to 50,000 songs with a 300mb limit per song) and that should tick all my boxes. There's also the added benefit then of Google Assistant etc. and the ability to expand the smart network over time if I wish (thermostats, lighting, door camera etc.)

Home; https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/voice-control-ass

Nest Hub; https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/voice-control-ass

Nest Mini; https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/voice-control-ass

Thanks to those who replied
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 2:11]
Multiroom speakers on 09:43 - Dec 27 with 1726 viewsjedijack

Multiroom speakers on 02:06 - Dec 27 by BLAZE

This thread has pointed me in the right direction I think, so for anybody else who may be interested...

The Google Home, Google Nest Hub and Google Nest Mini are currently on offer in Currys for £49, £59 and £34 respectively and reviews suggest the speaker quality is decent (though not if you're an audiophile I suspect)

I reckon a combination of these (probably 2x Home, 1x Nest Hub and 1x Nest Mini) will cover my place quite nicely for under £200

Then I can upload my collection of MP3s to Google Music (which as Jedi informed, is free for up to 50,000 songs with a 300mb limit per song) and that should tick all my boxes. There's also the added benefit then of Google Assistant etc. and the ability to expand the smart network over time if I wish (thermostats, lighting, door camera etc.)

Home; https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/voice-control-ass

Nest Hub; https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/voice-control-ass

Nest Mini; https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/voice-control-ass

Thanks to those who replied
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 2:11]

Sorry for late reply mate.
The only issue with google homes is the sound quality, well the minis at least. I have 2 and they're great for a purpose but don't sound great. They can be paired with bluetooth speakers but connectivity can be a bit flaky and still don't sound great.

I do however think I'm right in saying that home devices and chromecasts can be paired and managed together, could be very useful. The one I've got you're welcome to have mate, don't want anything for it, even if you don't end up using it might be handy for something.

Glad the google music thing works for you. It's a cracking free option to the paid streaming services. Regarding the data question you might be surprised on how little data it will use. There is an option in the music app to cache played songs to save having to download them again.
Login to get fewer ads

Multiroom speakers on 17:08 - Dec 27 with 1593 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Multiroom speakers on 18:12 - Dec 26 by monmouth

I'm still a Meridian/Linn/Naim man spinning various sized discs. I do need to move into 21st century I suppose. I know that these multiroom controllers exist but the ones I saw were bloody expensive, so the subscriptions will be a lot cheaper. See, I already know less than you. Sorry, shit reply.

Someone who appreciates real music then.
Multiroom speakers on 17:22 - Dec 27 with 1582 viewsBLAZE

Multiroom speakers on 09:43 - Dec 27 by jedijack

Sorry for late reply mate.
The only issue with google homes is the sound quality, well the minis at least. I have 2 and they're great for a purpose but don't sound great. They can be paired with bluetooth speakers but connectivity can be a bit flaky and still don't sound great.

I do however think I'm right in saying that home devices and chromecasts can be paired and managed together, could be very useful. The one I've got you're welcome to have mate, don't want anything for it, even if you don't end up using it might be handy for something.

Glad the google music thing works for you. It's a cracking free option to the paid streaming services. Regarding the data question you might be surprised on how little data it will use. There is an option in the music app to cache played songs to save having to download them again.

You’re a gent, mate 👍

Is your mini a 1st or 2nd gen? The 2nd gen had a major overhaul of the speaker apparently which is why I decided to get that over the cheaper 1st gen

I’ll PM you about that Chromecast 🙌
Multiroom speakers on 04:14 - Dec 29 with 1461 viewsBLAZE

Just a few points;

1. Jedijack is a top, top man

2. I went for the things I listed a few posts above. Alongside my phone (Honor 8X), it's the best £200 I've ever spent. Well built, sounds great for their size and very intuitive to use. Google are welcome to my soul.

This forum can be great at times. Looking forward to moving into my new place now - here's to a smashing 2020 friends 🤘🍻
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024