Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Random Interesting Facts 11:14 - Jun 12 with 3448 viewsJackoBoostardo

May come in handy the next time you're at the pub - Amaze your mates with your superior intellect!* Pull the best looking women by passing yourself off as super human!!* Defeat Stephen Hawkins over the origins of the universe!!*

(*results may vary-and in some cases may result in being punched, slapped or run over by a very heavy mechanised wheelchair)

------------------------------------

Some cats are allergic to humans.

Botanically, apples, peaches, grapes, and tomatoes are all fruits. But don’t try telling that to the U.S. Supreme Court. Per the 1893 case Nix v. Hedden, the court decided that tomatoes were veggies and therefore subject to the vegetable tariff. The Supreme Court’s reasoning? Tomatoes have to be vegetables because they’re usually served with dinner, not dessert.

Babies have more bones in their bodies than adults. As the babies grow older, some bones eventually fuse together (like in the skull), resulting in fewer bones as an adult.

Dr. John Dee, a 16th century predecessor to James Bond, supposedly used the code 007 to send messages to Queen Elizabeth. The two zeros meant “for your eyes only.”

King James IV of Scotland was an amateur dentist. He even paid people to let him practice on their teeth!

ABBA had to negotiate the rights to their name with a canned fish company.

Braces go all the way back to ancient Egypt. In fact, archaeologists have found several mummies with crude metal bands wrapped around their teeth.

Although oil is known as "black gold," it isn't black to begin with. When it spurts from the ground, the crude stuff is most often dark green.

The only mammals that don't have an umbilical scar, or "belly button," are the platypus and echidna. Unlike the rest of us mammalians, these two species lay eggs.

Antarctica gets very little snow, so why is there snow on the ground? Because the snow that does fall on the continent never melts.

The melting temperature of bubble gum is 125 degrees Fahrenheit.

Istanbul, Turkey, is the only city in the world that lies in two continents.

The second largest country by land area is Canada, after Russia.

Bill Clinton reportedly only ever sent two emails as president, one of which was a test message to see if he was doing it correctly.

At Fatburger (an American chain), you can order a "Hypocrite" – a veggie burger topped with crispy strips of bacon. Tasty!

While an Oscar is of unnamed value to someone who wins (or loses) one, the actual trophy is estimated to be worth about $150.

In 2007, researchers at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York reported that people who played video games for 3+ hours a week made better surgeons.

Simon Bolivar is the only person in the world to have two sovereign nations named after him: Bolivia and Venezuela (the country's full name is Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela).

The flashes of colored light you see when you rub your eyes are called "phosphenes."

Al Capone estimated that he spent $30 million a year to pay off judges, police, elected officials, and newspapermen.

Only two people remain who are fluent in Ayapaneco–but they refuse to talk to each other.

Cleopatra kept it in the family, marrying her younger brother (Ptolemy XII) before moving on to Julius Caesar and Marc Antony.

In the Disney version of The Little Mermaid, Ariel and her sassy crab friend, Sebastian, overcome the wicked sea witch, and Ariel then swims off to marry the man of her dreams. However, in the original tale, the mermaid’s fins-for-feet exchange comes at a price–namely, that every step on her new legs causes her excruciating pain. And that’s not even the worst part–in the end, the prince marries someone else!

At more than 3.3 million square miles, the Sahara Desert is as large as the world's next 20 largest hot deserts combined.

Both Madonna and Celine Dion are cousins of Prince Charles' wife, Camilla.

The world's largest exporter of beef isn't the United States; it's Australia.

Peridots are the only gems that have been found in meteorites.

Dimples may be cute, but they are an inherited genetic flaw. They are caused by a fibrous band of tissue that connects the skin to an underlying bone.

If the only thing you have to fear is fear itself, you could be suffering from phobophobia: the fear of phobias.

Senator Strom Thurmond is in the record books for giving the longest recorded speech in history, clocking in at 24 hours and 18 minutes. The speech was a filibuster in opposition to the 1957 Civil Rights Act (which passed, despite his efforts).

So-called white chocolate isn't chocolate in the technical sense – it is comprised of cocoa butter, sugar, and milk, but no actual chocolate.

The third right arm of a male octopus is more than an arm– it’s his reproductive organ.

The little bump on the front side of your ear is called a tragus.

With a nurse and a calligrapher, Saddam Hussein had a copy of the Koran written using his own blood.

The Arctic gets its name from the Greek word for "bear" (arctos) because of its proximity to the constellation "Ursa Major" ("great bear" in Latin).

Contrary to popular belief, there are no wild tigers in Africa.

Pablo Escobar’s Medellin Cartel spent $2,500 a month on rubber bands to hold all their cash.

When Parker Brothers acquired the rights to the Ouija board and released its first version back in 1967, the game's early sales trounced that of the company’s traditional bestseller, Monopoly.

We know it best for its unforgettable roles in flameproof insulation and class-action lawsuits, but asbestos got its official start in the first century, when Roman author Pliny the Elder noted the natural mineral fiber’s resistance to fire. Though he slightly discredited himself by also lauding asbestos for being impermeable to attacks by dark wizards, he did point out one trait that modern researchers should have paid more attention to: slaves who worked with asbestos tended to develop lung problems.

The small "You Are Here" sticker that indicates your position on a map has a name – it's called an ideo locator.

A National Weather Service study indicated that more than eight out of every ten people injured or killed by lightning were men.

Cats cannot taste sugar. They do not have sweet taste buds

Ferruccio Lamborghini made tractors until he went to Enzo Ferrari to complain about a Ferrari he had bought. Lamborghini felt snubbed by Ferrari and decided to get into the sports car business.

Construction of the Pentagon began on September 11th, 1941.

The name for "piggy banks" comes from the use of family money jars in the Middle Ages made from a type of clay called pygg.

The Vatican Bank is the world’s only bank that allows ATM users to perform transactions in Latin.

Spitting in public was socially acceptable in China for five millennia, but due to fears over the spread of SARS in 2003, it has become punishable by fine (and even possible eviction) in several major cities.

There is a scale for measuring the spiciness of food. It is called the Scoville Heat Index. The spiciest pepper has over 1,000,000 Scoville units.

The largest living organism ever found has been discovered in an ancient American forest in eastern Oregon. Officially known as Armillaria solidipes, or the honey mushroom, the fungus is 3.5 miles square miles and takes up 1,665 football fields.

The shotput used by male athletes weighs 16 lbs., the same as the maximum weight for a bowling ball.

Duct tape was invented in 1942 for use by the U.S. Army as a waterproof sealing tape for ammunition boxes.

Though the U.S. only makes up 5% of the world's population, they house nearly 25% of the world's prison population.

The highest spot on earth is not Mt. Everest. If we define the "highest spot" as that which is closest to the moon, stars, etc., then Mt. Chimborazo in Ecuador is an incredible 1.5 miles higher due to the oblate spheroid shape of the earth.

Humans can lose up to 30% of their total blood volume before going into shock.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Random Interesting Facts on 11:44 - Jun 12 with 1550 viewsDrizzy

If you have to pull any of these out to salvage pub conversation with your mates then do yourself a favour and go home. Save everyone the tedium.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Random Interesting Facts on 12:03 - Jun 12 with 1550 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 11:44 - Jun 12 by Drizzy

If you have to pull any of these out to salvage pub conversation with your mates then do yourself a favour and go home. Save everyone the tedium.

I'd bring them out if it meant you went home ya miserable tit.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Random Interesting Facts on 12:10 - Jun 12 with 1530 viewsDrizzy

Random Interesting Facts on 12:03 - Jun 12 by JackoBoostardo

I'd bring them out if it meant you went home ya miserable tit.

Boring c*nt.

Random Interesting Facts on 12:12 - Jun 12 with 1545 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 12:10 - Jun 12 by Drizzy

Boring c*nt.

prick with nothing positive to say... need i go on?? Read something else.

Random Interesting Facts on 12:29 - Jun 12 with 1509 viewsDrizzy

Random Interesting Facts on 12:12 - Jun 12 by JackoBoostardo

prick with nothing positive to say... need i go on?? Read something else.

Wind it in, fella. Just stating that your "interesting facts" are, in fact, a load of tedious old b*llocks.

Random Interesting Facts on 12:33 - Jun 12 with 1521 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 12:29 - Jun 12 by Drizzy

Wind it in, fella. Just stating that your "interesting facts" are, in fact, a load of tedious old b*llocks.

And I'm just stating that your "posts to Planet Swans" are, in fact, a lot of tedious old b*llocks,

Why not post something constructive for once?

Random Interesting Facts on 12:34 - Jun 12 with 1521 viewsCatullus

The facts themselves are interesting but if I started spouting them at my mates, even now that we are all old farts, they'd look at me and laugh.

Conversation is never a problem for us, getting a word in and/or getting someone to shut up is the problem!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Random Interesting Facts on 12:37 - Jun 12 with 1500 viewsDrizzy

Random Interesting Facts on 12:33 - Jun 12 by JackoBoostardo

And I'm just stating that your "posts to Planet Swans" are, in fact, a lot of tedious old b*llocks,

Why not post something constructive for once?

Why are you clogging up the forum with your woefully unfunny images?

You've been almost ubiquitous recently and it's getting on my tits because you drown out threads with reams of sh*t that nobody wants to read and can't handle it when someone disagrees with you. You're a slightly more educated Marcus. You'd know who that is if you'd been here longer than two minutes. Run along now, mush, I think someone claimed wind turbines are a waste of money and needs to be proven straight.

Login to get fewer ads

Random Interesting Facts on 12:40 - Jun 12 with 1492 viewsDrizzy

JackBorestardo at his very best:

"Having travelled extensively throughout Australia AND Saudi regions... I can tell you clearly the heat in Qatar is intense"

Fair play I was only somewhat aware of the heat but your extensive knowledge has truly confirmed my assumptions. Thank you ever so much for sharing your insight.

Random Interesting Facts on 12:43 - Jun 12 with 1507 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 12:34 - Jun 12 by Catullus

The facts themselves are interesting but if I started spouting them at my mates, even now that we are all old farts, they'd look at me and laugh.

Conversation is never a problem for us, getting a word in and/or getting someone to shut up is the problem!!

Well people here seem to be missing the point...

1) these are not intended to be raised as 'conversation starters', but instead when a mate or someone else starts spouting about something listed here - you can call bollocks on them if they're wrong.

2) This isn't intended to be taken extremely seriously - this was never stated or insinuated. I think I made my original post clear.

3) Since when has everyone here been miserable boring sods? In the absence of any football news at the moment - I'm simply injecting something else into the mix that some may find interesting, useful, strange, quirky... whatever. This place is going down the shitter - seriously. Instead of posting something of similar value, or better, people have to post derogatory bullshi1t just to appear superior somehow?

Let's all have a boring website where nothing else is being posted as there is no footy on at present shall we?

Random Interesting Facts on 12:44 - Jun 12 with 1488 viewsDrizzy

The f*cking World Cup starts today. There's plenty to talk about. Nobody cares about your quirky sh*t.

Random Interesting Facts on 12:45 - Jun 12 with 1504 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 12:40 - Jun 12 by Drizzy

JackBorestardo at his very best:

"Having travelled extensively throughout Australia AND Saudi regions... I can tell you clearly the heat in Qatar is intense"

Fair play I was only somewhat aware of the heat but your extensive knowledge has truly confirmed my assumptions. Thank you ever so much for sharing your insight.

And there lays my point - nothing to add apart from some form of criticism, abuse, sarcasm or bullshit.

Try reading the rest of the thread and the context it was intended numbnuts. Then perhaps go away?

Random Interesting Facts on 12:48 - Jun 12 with 1479 viewsDrizzy

Random Interesting Facts on 12:45 - Jun 12 by JackoBoostardo

And there lays my point - nothing to add apart from some form of criticism, abuse, sarcasm or bullshit.

Try reading the rest of the thread and the context it was intended numbnuts. Then perhaps go away?

If only I had your extensive knowledge, eh?

Random Interesting Facts on 14:02 - Jun 12 with 1429 viewsApeShit

Can't wait to test some of these out in the Railway next season.
Random Interesting Facts on 15:37 - Jun 12 with 1389 viewsFlashberryjack

Well I found many of the little known facts in the OP quite interesting.
I like reading stuff like that, I appreciate that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if it's not for you, then just scroll on to something that does interest you - like the thread on "sausages" for instance.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Random Interesting Facts on 17:36 - Jun 12 with 1336 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 15:37 - Jun 12 by Flashberryjack

Well I found many of the little known facts in the OP quite interesting.
I like reading stuff like that, I appreciate that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if it's not for you, then just scroll on to something that does interest you - like the thread on "sausages" for instance.

This forum was good at one time... No worries been drowned out by clowns, assholes and w@nkers like Drizzy..quick to think he's Billy big bollocks and shoot people down, but doesn't really contribute anything worthwhile himself.

Interesting to see what the mods and Phil's view other is as it's freaking killing the site!

Random Interesting Facts on 17:40 - Jun 12 with 1329 viewsperchrockjack

Thought it was a terrific OP and some really interesting facts.Learning is what we all should do every day.
Cant see how it antagonised though

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Random Interesting Facts on 18:27 - Jun 12 with 1297 viewsQuakerJack

And once again, Planet Swans descends into a slanging match. I'm going back to the QPR forum where everyone's friendly.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Random Interesting Facts on 18:50 - Jun 12 with 1273 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 18:27 - Jun 12 by QuakerJack

And once again, Planet Swans descends into a slanging match. I'm going back to the QPR forum where everyone's friendly.

It's sad that attempts to try and inject something into a site that is pretty much quieter than a morgue at the moment is shot down by people who just want to troll. What has Drizzy contributed recently..? Nothing really, he's just asked for advice on places to visit in Prague.

Random Interesting Facts on 19:16 - Jun 12 with 1250 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 19:52 - Jun 12 with 1211 viewsDrizzy

JackBorestardo strikes again. What a complete and utter waste of bandwidth.

Random Interesting Facts on 20:05 - Jun 12 with 1203 viewsJackoBoostardo

Los Angeles’s full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

A strawberry is not actually a berry, but a banana is.

The average human will grow 590 miles of hair in their lifetime.

The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 years old.

Babies are born without kneecaps. They don’t appear until the child is 2-6 years of age.

In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The US interstate highway system requires that one mile in every five be straight. These straight sections function as airstrips in times of war and other emergencies.

Random Interesting Facts on 20:08 - Jun 12 with 1199 viewsPhil_S

Random Interesting Facts on 19:52 - Jun 12 by Drizzy

JackBorestardo strikes again. What a complete and utter waste of bandwidth.

Then place him on ignore and stop responding to him if it bothers you that much?
Random Interesting Facts on 20:20 - Jun 12 with 1172 viewsThursday

Oh, off season.

I would gladly receive $125,000 today for the promise of giving away my corpse upon expiration. It's only half price, so that I be intact at the end is the risk. That's one fact that seems garbage.
Random Interesting Facts on 20:30 - Jun 12 with 1150 viewsJackoBoostardo

Random Interesting Facts on 20:20 - Jun 12 by Thursday

Oh, off season.

I would gladly receive $125,000 today for the promise of giving away my corpse upon expiration. It's only half price, so that I be intact at the end is the risk. That's one fact that seems garbage.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/this-is-how-much-your-body-parts-are-actually-

http://visual.ly/how-much-your-body-worth-black-market

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024