Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UEFA Nations league... 19:06 - Oct 11 with 13086 viewsscottishjack

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/11/nations-

Clear as mud...! I can't get my head around it at all...
UEFA Nations league... on 19:34 - Oct 11 with 9300 viewsyescomeon

My understanding from football manager (I assume it will work the same) is that it's a 4-tier league with groups of 3 or 4 (most of tier 3 and all tier 4 have 4 teams). Teams play each other during normal international breaks. Top team of groups in tiers 2, 3 and 4 get promoted, bottom teams in all tiers are relegated. Top teams from tier 1 go into knockout semi-final and final. The winner qualifies for the Euros. Simple enough really and gets rid of most friendlies as there is something to play for with this, just about. Will stop Wales gaming the rankings system though.

Upthecity!

UEFA Nations league... on 20:18 - Oct 11 with 9254 viewsFlashberryjack

UEFA Nations league... on 19:34 - Oct 11 by yescomeon

My understanding from football manager (I assume it will work the same) is that it's a 4-tier league with groups of 3 or 4 (most of tier 3 and all tier 4 have 4 teams). Teams play each other during normal international breaks. Top team of groups in tiers 2, 3 and 4 get promoted, bottom teams in all tiers are relegated. Top teams from tier 1 go into knockout semi-final and final. The winner qualifies for the Euros. Simple enough really and gets rid of most friendlies as there is something to play for with this, just about. Will stop Wales gaming the rankings system though.

Aye! simple as f*ck

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

UEFA Nations league... on 12:00 - Oct 12 with 9089 viewsJack_y_Jwc

UEFA Nations league... on 19:34 - Oct 11 by yescomeon

"Top teams from tier 1 go into knockout semi-final and final. The winner qualifies for the Euros." - not quite, the winner just wins the Nations League.

4 teams qualify to the Euros, one from each tier, which means the shitty teams in tier 4 still have a chance of qualification. We're in tier 2 since Monday night - the top 2 from each mini-league qualify to a knock tournament for each tier (unless they've already qualified then it gets passed to the next best team), where the winner qualifies to the Euros. This is the confusing bit.

UEFA Nations league... on 12:29 - Oct 12 with 9061 viewsscottishjack

UEFA Nations league... on 12:00 - Oct 12 by Jack_y_Jwc

"Top teams from tier 1 go into knockout semi-final and final. The winner qualifies for the Euros." - not quite, the winner just wins the Nations League.

4 teams qualify to the Euros, one from each tier, which means the shitty teams in tier 4 still have a chance of qualification. We're in tier 2 since Monday night - the top 2 from each mini-league qualify to a knock tournament for each tier (unless they've already qualified then it gets passed to the next best team), where the winner qualifies to the Euros. This is the confusing bit.

So because of being poor for the past few years, Scotland (Tier 3) will have a better chance of qualifying through this route than Wales or Northern Ireland (Tier 2)?

So let's say that there's a good chance the Tier 1 and 2 teams will have a good chance of qualifying by right, that's still a couple of places at the next finals (Which is also a confusing mess) going to teams that otherwise probably wouldn't qualify.

I just don't see the point of it all to be honest.
UEFA Nations league... on 12:38 - Oct 12 with 9050 viewsJack_y_Jwc

UEFA Nations league... on 12:29 - Oct 12 by scottishjack

So because of being poor for the past few years, Scotland (Tier 3) will have a better chance of qualifying through this route than Wales or Northern Ireland (Tier 2)?

So let's say that there's a good chance the Tier 1 and 2 teams will have a good chance of qualifying by right, that's still a couple of places at the next finals (Which is also a confusing mess) going to teams that otherwise probably wouldn't qualify.

This is my understanding anyway based on the following quote: "There will be an extra chance to qualify for Euro 2020 through the Nations League. The highest placed team in each group that has not qualified for the finals will enter four-team playoff from each of the four leagues in March 2020, and the winners will go to the finals -- effectively replacing the playoffs between third-placed teams in qualifying for Euro 2016."

It's essentially an attempt to make friendlies more competitive but it depends how seriously the nations take it I suppose.

UEFA Nations league... on 12:56 - Oct 12 with 9028 viewsTaliesin

The way I understand it is the 4 teams that will qualify for Euros are the highest placed countries that have not qualified through the normal route.

Taking qualification out of the equation this is simply a competition designed to eradicate friendlies and replacing them with competitive games which must be a good thing
UEFA Nations league... on 13:01 - Oct 12 with 9024 viewsDewi1jack

UEFA Nations league... on 12:29 - Oct 12 by scottishjack

The point of it is very simple.
The more International matches that are played = the more money UEFA receive

Hope that clarifies it

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

UEFA Nations league... on 15:48 - Oct 12 with 8939 viewsJack_Kass

So why don't Wales just take a few years out, slip to League Z, smash San Marino and Andorra and waltz their way to the World Cup

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Login to get fewer ads

UEFA Nations league... on 15:51 - Oct 12 with 8929 viewsJackFish

UEFA Nations league... on 15:48 - Oct 12 by Jack_Kass

So why don't Wales just take a few years out, slip to League Z, smash San Marino and Andorra and waltz their way to the World Cup

Agree it’s stupid, I like the concept (much better than friendlies) but don’t see the need for using it for Euro qualifiers, especially if the bottom league get an automatic place. Should be 4 leagues of 4 teams per group too.
UEFA Nations league... on 15:54 - Oct 12 with 8918 viewsJack_Kass

UEFA Nations league... on 15:51 - Oct 12 by JackFish

Agree it’s stupid, I like the concept (much better than friendlies) but don’t see the need for using it for Euro qualifiers, especially if the bottom league get an automatic place. Should be 4 leagues of 4 teams per group too.

The concept is fine, but it should be the top 16 or whatever qualify automatically for every tournament.

This gives every country a reason to beat teams around and them get promotion up to the top league.

E-I-E-O up the Nations League we go

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

UEFA Nations league... on 16:11 - Oct 12 with 8902 viewsTaliesin

UEFA Nations league... on 15:51 - Oct 12 by JackFish

The top place in each group will not qualify. The top 4 placed teams that do not qualify through the usual process will, starting from the top group and working down. Nobody from the 4rth tier is going to qualify through this route - it's more a safety nets for the elite who screw up the qualifing group
UEFA Nations league... on 16:54 - Oct 12 with 8874 viewsJack_y_Jwc

UEFA Nations league... on 16:11 - Oct 12 by Taliesin

The top place in each group will not qualify. The top 4 placed teams that do not qualify through the usual process will, starting from the top group and working down. Nobody from the 4rth tier is going to qualify through this route - it's more a safety nets for the elite who screw up the qualifing group

I think you're wrong, one team from each league qualifies:

The top seeds are in League A split into groups
Wales & the 2 x Irelands are in League B split into groups
Scotland are in League C
The San Marino types are in League D
[Post edited 12 Oct 2017 16:57]

UEFA Nations league... on 00:09 - Oct 13 with 8782 viewsTaliesin

UEFA Nations league... on 16:54 - Oct 12 by Jack_y_Jwc

I think you're wrong, one team from each league qualifies:

The top seeds are in League A split into groups
Wales & the 2 x Irelands are in League B split into groups
Scotland are in League C
The San Marino types are in League D
[Post edited 12 Oct 2017 16:57]

That'll teach me for listening to Talksport

That is a bit shite!
UEFA Nations league... on 09:33 - Oct 13 with 8716 viewsDewi1jack

UEFA Nations league... on 00:09 - Oct 13 by Taliesin

That is a bit shite!

Really?
Talksh1te?
You'll be believing what Wales On Line come out with soon as well

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

UEFA Nations league... on 09:59 - Oct 13 with 8698 viewstrampie

Looks like the football authorities are trying to make friendlies more interesting and relevant or you could even say they are trying to do away with them.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

UEFA Nations league... on 10:12 - Oct 13 with 8697 viewsDafyddHuw

UEFA Nations league... on 00:09 - Oct 13 by Taliesin

That is a bit shite!

Is it from TalkSport that you got the idea that MacBurnie should start tomorrow?
UEFA Nations league... on 11:02 - Oct 13 with 8677 viewsyescomeon

UEFA Nations league... on 12:00 - Oct 12 by Jack_y_Jwc

Yeah you're right what I said is only true in FM, or the last one I played. Not sure I like 4 teams qualifying for the Euros out of this competition as it makes getting to the Euros the traditional way harder at the expense of letting the likes of Gibraltar, Luxembourg and San Marino qualify. Just look at the tier Wales are in all the teams in that are at the level of finishing around 1st or 2nd in the recent world cup qualifying. Getting through that to get a place in the Euros will make world cup qualification look easy.

I get why they did it the way they have though, otherwise the teams down in tiers 4 through 2 don't have much to play for.

Upthecity!

UEFA Nations league... on 11:27 - Oct 13 with 8651 viewstrampie

I haven't looked at the small print but all in all it looks like a good thing.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

UEFA Nations league... on 13:28 - Oct 13 with 8623 viewsTaliesin

UEFA Nations league... on 09:33 - Oct 13 by Dewi1jack

Really?
Talksh1te?
You'll be believing what Wales On Line come out with soon as well

Fair point, well made
UEFA Nations league... on 13:30 - Oct 13 with 8620 viewsTaliesin

UEFA Nations league... on 10:12 - Oct 13 by DafyddHuw

Is it from TalkSport that you got the idea that MacBurnie should start tomorrow?

No - that came from having a mind of my own!
UEFA Nations league... on 12:07 - Jan 24 with 6909 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Bit of a shit draw really. Two of the most expensive cities to visit although I'll probably still go to Copenhagen not sure I can be arsed with Dublin though

UEFA Nations league... on 14:54 - Jan 24 with 6688 viewsFireboy2

UEFA Nations league... on 12:07 - Jan 24 by Jack_y_Jwc

Bit of a shit draw really. Two of the most expensive cities to visit although I'll probably still go to Copenhagen not sure I can be arsed with Dublin though

This
UEFA Nations league... on 18:07 - Jan 24 with 6585 viewsNeath_Jack

We had a fantastic time out in Copenhagen whilst on our Europa adventure.

Bit of a shit competition though isn't it? Only the top group gets to play in a final and entry into the actual European Championship.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

UEFA Nations league... on 18:45 - Jan 24 with 6550 viewsbuilthjack

There are ways to do things cheap. You have to work at it. Dont do the norm and you will get around it.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

UEFA Nations league... on 20:12 - Jan 24 with 6507 viewsJack_y_Jwc

UEFA Nations league... on 18:07 - Jan 24 by Neath_Jack

We had a fantastic time out in Copenhagen whilst on our Europa adventure.

Bit of a shit competition though isn't it? Only the top group gets to play in a final and entry into the actual European Championship.

No, one team from each pool qualifies to euro 2020, so Azerbaijan are likely to qualify.

If taken seriously then there are benefits to this tournament and some good away trips

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024