Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Autism Awareness Week 18:17 - Mar 26 with 2353 viewsMuteswan

Please take a few moments to read up on some information about how Autism affects so many people and their families. There are a lot of people out there ,often described as “odd” or “different “ that have difficulties you may have never even imagined . Some with Autism are living alongside you and you would never know it, while others struggle with various effects of it every single day.
It may not be as much fun as reading about what eggs you have for breakfast, or people with two usernames or calling other posters names that you might regret the next day, but a little knowledge and information might ,one day, make you think that “odd “person might be not so odd but unfortunate to be affected by Autism.
So if you can, read about or listen to, something this week that might help you to understand a little more and maybe we can all be a little more patient with that shy person and give them more confidence.
Sorry for the long post, but very close to home.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about.aspx
Autism Awareness Week on 18:20 - Mar 26 with 2348 viewstheloneranger

Great program on Ch4 Wednesday 10pm.

"Are You Autistic"

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Autism Awareness Week on 18:45 - Mar 26 with 2322 viewsswan65split

Great post .thanks for the link, so I can share it.
Autism Awareness Week on 18:52 - Mar 26 with 2309 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I'm sure if I sent another email to the club or Trust I'd get the same response that they are looking into a sensory room etc whilst nothing actually gets done. It is a disgrace considering the amount of money the club has. Other disability issues as well are handled appallingly.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Autism Awareness Week on 18:59 - Mar 26 with 2297 viewsJack_Meoff

Thanks for posting this Muteswan. Condition close to home here also .Top man.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Autism Awareness Week on 19:15 - Mar 26 with 2277 viewslondonlisa2001

Autism Awareness Week on 18:52 - Mar 26 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I'm sure if I sent another email to the club or Trust I'd get the same response that they are looking into a sensory room etc whilst nothing actually gets done. It is a disgrace considering the amount of money the club has. Other disability issues as well are handled appallingly.

I took this up within the Trust board Dwight some time ago.

A sensory room was trialled at the Sheffield Wednesday match where three teenagers attended from local schools.

There has been confirmation that a grant is available - the issue is seemingly finding a room that can safely be used within the stadium every match. It is definitely on the agenda and is not being ignored, I can promise that I will keep chasing this up and the Trust and club are now communicating about pushing this forward.
Autism Awareness Week on 20:13 - Mar 26 with 2245 viewsdickythorpe

Well done Lisa, and thanks for keeping us up to date.
Autism Awareness Week on 20:20 - Mar 26 with 2230 viewslondonlisa2001

Autism Awareness Week on 20:13 - Mar 26 by dickythorpe

Well done Lisa, and thanks for keeping us up to date.

Cath Dyer from the Trust has been working hard on this. I think that it's just that the Trust minutes haven't come out yet for the meeting when the trial etc had happened. As it was raised here specifically, I thought it waw important to let people know that the Trust are doing stuff about this rather than wait for minutes to come out that people may not see.
Autism Awareness Week on 20:31 - Mar 26 with 2210 viewstrampie

Autism Awareness Week on 19:15 - Mar 26 by londonlisa2001

A sensory room was trialled at the Sheffield Wednesday match where three teenagers attended from local schools.

There has been confirmation that a grant is available - the issue is seemingly finding a room that can safely be used within the stadium every match. It is definitely on the agenda and is not being ignored, I can promise that I will keep chasing this up and the Trust and club are now communicating about pushing this forward.

Whats a sensory room ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

Autism Awareness Week on 20:36 - Mar 26 with 2197 viewsMuteswan

Autism Awareness Week on 20:31 - Mar 26 by trampie

Whats a sensory room ?

https://www.watfordfc.com/club/sensory-room-fa-cup-spaces-available

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/community/281413-reds-launch-sensory-room-at-anf
Autism Awareness Week on 20:38 - Mar 26 with 2190 viewstrampie

Swans haven't got one have they ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Autism Awareness Week on 20:41 - Mar 26 with 2185 viewslondonlisa2001

Autism Awareness Week on 20:38 - Mar 26 by trampie

Swans haven't got one have they ?

Trampie.

Is it possible you could refrain from trolling on this particular thread and leave that to all the other threads you are currently finding it hilarious to ruin. Genuinely. This is quite important.
Autism Awareness Week on 20:45 - Mar 26 with 2167 viewstrampie

Autism Awareness Week on 20:41 - Mar 26 by londonlisa2001

Trampie.

Is it possible you could refrain from trolling on this particular thread and leave that to all the other threads you are currently finding it hilarious to ruin. Genuinely. This is quite important.

I'm not trolling [I never do] I didn't know what a sensory room was, now thanks to the links posters have put up I have a better idea, I'm disappointed the Liberty does not have such a facility.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2018 20:50]

Autism Awareness Week on 20:47 - Mar 26 with 2166 viewsjack2jack

Autism Awareness Week on 20:36 - Mar 26 by Muteswan

https://www.watfordfc.com/club/sensory-room-fa-cup-spaces-available

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/community/281413-reds-launch-sensory-room-at-anf

Interesting to note that Liverpool are going to charge £40 for the use of their sensory room, whilst Watford are charging £2, unless I've read this incorrectly, I understand you don't get anything for free these days, but £40 is that right, perhaps someone can tell readers what would our club be charging if anything, when and if it gets the green light!
Autism Awareness Week on 20:48 - Mar 26 with 2165 viewsDarran

One of my favouritest artists.

http://www.artismbyjake.com/about

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Autism Awareness Week on 20:55 - Mar 26 with 2144 viewsMuteswan

Autism Awareness Week on 20:48 - Mar 26 by Darran

Thanks for the link, I’ve not seen this before. Looks just as good as Picasso to me.
Autism Awareness Week on 20:58 - Mar 26 with 2134 viewsDarran

Autism Awareness Week on 20:55 - Mar 26 by Muteswan

Thanks for the link, I’ve not seen this before. Looks just as good as Picasso to me.

I bought a Beatles print off him for a member of Cheap Trick.

Autism Awareness Week on 21:00 - Mar 26 with 2123 viewsMuteswan

Autism Awareness Week on 20:58 - Mar 26 by Darran

I bought a Beatles print off him for a member of Cheap Trick.

You were going well until you mentioned Cheap Trick. 😉
Autism Awareness Week on 14:06 - Mar 27 with 2008 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Autism Awareness Week on 19:15 - Mar 26 by londonlisa2001

If you need a larger group of volunteers then I would be happy to put you or Cath Dyer in touch with a number of social groups and staff at Trehafod Child And Family Service who I am sure would be ecstatic to take part.

Regarding the price, I don't think charging £2 like at Watford is appropriate, the club is not a charity. However £40 is also far too much as many of the people using it will be living off their PIP payments and support from their family. I am sure a compromise could be found, and partnerships formed with many of the social groups, charities and mental health facilities around Swansea, West Wales and our other catchment areas.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Autism Awareness Week on 11:31 - Mar 28 with 1916 viewsDarran

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/28d09442-03b3-4939-ac51-a2a287d8a923

Autism Awareness Week on 11:34 - Mar 28 with 1913 viewslondonlisa2001

Autism Awareness Week on 14:06 - Mar 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

If you need a larger group of volunteers then I would be happy to put you or Cath Dyer in touch with a number of social groups and staff at Trehafod Child And Family Service who I am sure would be ecstatic to take part.

Regarding the price, I don't think charging £2 like at Watford is appropriate, the club is not a charity. However £40 is also far too much as many of the people using it will be living off their PIP payments and support from their family. I am sure a compromise could be found, and partnerships formed with many of the social groups, charities and mental health facilities around Swansea, West Wales and our other catchment areas.

Dwight. Why don't you contact Cath via the Trust website and pass your details on to her. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk about progress and the plans going forward.
Autism Awareness Week on 12:18 - Mar 28 with 1896 viewsWarwickHunt

Good stuff.

My missus filmed Stephen Wiltshire many years ago. An incredible talent...
Autism Awareness Week on 12:28 - Mar 28 with 1890 viewsswanforthemoney

Im surprised how many people are on the autistic spectrum. Its not always obvious. I was at a drinks do before Christmas and someone mentioned their kid had been diagnosed. Then a couple of others said they were awaiting a full diagnosis, but the services aren't there to support it and they are having to wait ages.
Seems its more widespread than most of us think.
Good luck to those trying to get the thing moving at the Liberty.

I stand in the North Stand

Autism Awareness Week on 19:11 - Mar 28 with 1840 viewsSenhin

Autism Awareness Week on 12:28 - Mar 28 by swanforthemoney

Im surprised how many people are on the autistic spectrum. Its not always obvious. I was at a drinks do before Christmas and someone mentioned their kid had been diagnosed. Then a couple of others said they were awaiting a full diagnosis, but the services aren't there to support it and they are having to wait ages.
Seems its more widespread than most of us think.
Good luck to those trying to get the thing moving at the Liberty.

If they are adults waiting for diagnosis it can take well over a year to get around to it.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Autism Awareness Week on 19:59 - Mar 29 with 1784 viewsMuteswan

Autism Awareness Week on 19:11 - Mar 28 by Senhin

If they are adults waiting for diagnosis it can take well over a year to get around to it.

My son was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome when he was 9, but the local authority claimed that he was “borderline “ and so was not given a statement. This meant he had no additional help with his education. We put the case that he was either on the spectrum or not but they refused to help him. He got though the rest of his time at Junior school with as much help from the staff as they could give and then went on to Bishopston Comprehensive. Again, the teachers and staff helped in every way they could, like giving him extra time to do things , but without a statement, no money or resources were forthcoming from the local authority. With a lot of hard work by him, with our help and paying for extra tuition ourselves, he passed his GCSE exams and went on to Gorseinon college and passed his A levels to get into Swansea University.
This is where things change. We had to pay ourselves to see an Educational Psychologist for an assessment and report, and , after this and contact with the University Disability department he was able to get financial support and help with equipment to tackle his degree. The reason he got the support now was because it was no longer the Local Authority budget but Central Government money. He graduated with a Physics degree , which we are obviously very proud of him for achieving, despite the original lack of help.
So, anyone who finds themselves in a similar position , fight for what is available as hard as possible, don’t let the local authority off the hook, they have a duty to look after disabled children so they are not disadvantaged. My son is now 28 and holds down a full time job.
Don’t give up!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024