Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Neil Jones RIP 08:21 - Jun 13 with 2180 viewsdickythorpe

What a good band Amen Corner were.
Neil Jones RIP on 09:16 - Jun 13 with 2152 viewsLord_Bony

RIP

Amen Corner were a world renowned band from Cardiff in the late 60s.

He had an illustrious career afterwards photographing the music biz and royalty.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Neil Jones RIP on 09:28 - Jun 13 with 2145 viewstheloneranger

Neil Jones RIP on 09:16 - Jun 13 by Lord_Bony

RIP

Amen Corner were a world renowned band from Cardiff in the late 60s.

He had an illustrious career afterwards photographing the music biz and royalty.

Andy Fairweather Low is still touring

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Neil Jones RIP on 09:45 - Jun 13 with 2131 viewsomarjack

Never heard of him before. But was certainly a massive Swans fan.

RIP

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Neil Jones RIP on 09:54 - Jun 13 with 2122 viewsmoonie

And a decent bluesman. Unrecognisable though
Neil Jones RIP on 10:06 - Jun 13 with 2109 viewsLord_Bony

Neil Jones RIP on 09:28 - Jun 13 by theloneranger

Andy Fairweather Low is still touring

Yep must be well in his 70s now...his brother in law I believe.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Neil Jones RIP on 11:57 - Jun 13 with 2072 viewstheloneranger

Neil Jones RIP on 10:06 - Jun 13 by Lord_Bony

Yep must be well in his 70s now...his brother in law I believe.

He's 69

Taken from Wales on Line

Lovely tributes paid to Amen Corner guitarist and prolific photographer Neil Jones, who has died aged 70, by his daughter Kirsty and former bandmates Andy Fairweather-Low and Alan Jones.
---
Tributes have been paid to Neil Jones, the guitarist with Welsh band Amen Corner, who has died aged 70.
Neil, who was from Llanbradach in the Rhymney Valley, passed away surrounded by friends, family and his former bandmates after battling cancer.
The musician was an integral member of the Cardiff group who had a number of hits in the late 1960s including (If Paradise Is) Half Nice and Bend Me Shape Me and toured with the likes of Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd.
After Amen Corner disbanded at the end of 1969, Neil joined the band Fair Weather with several members of Amen Corner. However, the group was short-lived and split after one album.
The keen photographer then embarked on a long and distinguished photographic career, which started first in London working for London Features International Ltd, an agency which supplied photos to NME, Melody Maker and the rest of the music press. There he took pics of all the major stars of the day.
Returning to South Wales in 1975, he was appointed as the Official Cardiff City Council photographer, a role he held until his retirement in 1998.
According to Neil’s daughter Kirsty Clark, she had a father “like no other.”
“It wasn’t your usual childhood for me,” she said. “Bedtime stories consisted of tales of the Jimi Hendrix tour, stories of what The Small Faces and Amen Corner got up to, chasing Sharon Osbourne around the kitchen and as random as the day Stanley Kubrick popped in and many many more as you can imagine.
“Weekends consisted of trips to Rockfield Studios, he thought nothing of taking me to a gig. 1976 was my first when Queen played at Cardiff Castle, I was three. From this point forward there was no turning back for me. I couldn’t even tell you how many gigs I have been to since, something he was very proud of.”
Kirsty said why many knew her dad from his Amen Corner days, few knew of his prolific photographic career.
“I had a father like no other, most knew of his music career but few knew of his photographic career. As soon as Amen Corner and Fair Weather disbanded dad went on to work for London features International Ltd supplying photos to NME, Melody Express and all other musical publications at the time. Of course dad already had his foot in the door being a musician himself and got some of the best photos. From Bowie, McCartney, Steve Marriot, Jackson 5, Elton John to Frankie Howerd, Bruce Forsyth and Les Dawson. You name them he had met them, knew them or taken a photo of them.
“This then came to an end when I was born and we moved back from London to Cardiff in 1975. “This is when he switched from taking photos of rock and pop royalty to actual royalty. Dad was appointed as the Official Cardiff City Council photographer. He went from taking photos of Queen to the Queen. His back catalogue for the council consisted of Princess Diana, Prince Charles, Nelson Mandela, Tony Blair to the Spice Girls and the Manic Street Preachers.
“Any tourism photos you would’ve seen would’ve been taken by him. I can remember being in the Florida Epcot Centre and finding a book on British tourism and there was a photo of Cardiff Castle with me as a child in the forefront. I can’t tell how proud that made me.
“If you ever meet anyone that knew him they will always have the best stories to tell about him, whether it was work related, music related or his charity work. He is going to be sadly missed by myself, my husband Lee and my two sons Andrew and Christian, my brother Jamie and anyone else that has been lucky enough to have known him.
“Life will not be the same but his legacy will most certainly live on.”
Amen Corner frontman Andy Fairweather-Low, who was married to Neil’s sister Barbara, paid tribute to his brother-in-law and fellow band member.
“I miss him and I always will,” said Andy. “He was part of my life for over 50 years. As a member of Amen Corner, he was an important part of why we became successful. He was cute and he could play and that was a fact.
“In his final moments Neil was surrounded by family, friends and Alan Jones, Clive Taylor and myself from Amen Corner.
“A memory is all any of us will ever be in the end. Neil will be missed. He is loved and will be remembered.”
Fellow Amen Corner member Alan Jones added that he thought of Neil as a “younger brother”.
“I met Neil for the first time when Amen Corner was put together by Andy and then spent the next four years in each others pockets. Although we shared the same surname we were not related , but I always thought of him as my younger brother.
“Along with the rest of the band we shared some great experiences and adventures and always retained our friendship throughout the years.
“As well as as being a talented guitar player his pretty looks ensured that he was always popular with the fans and had a good rapport with them.
“He was also a very talented photographer and his portfolio included many well known and famous people.
“I will always remember our times together, including some amazing shows and tours and also many fun nights out at The Speakeasy nightclub in London.
“Neil had a very kind nature and was a devoted family man. He was my friend and I will miss him very much.”
* You can view a selection of Neil Jones’ pictures on display at Coffee a Go Go, St Andrews Place in Cardiff.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024