Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton 17:58 - Aug 31 with 4323 viewsTheResurrection

A brief history of a team relegated who gambled the lot on promotion at the first hurdle. It caught up with them big time and they only truly got back on their feet when they totally hit the reset button and started all over again. It took several new owners, 4 or 5 managers, going into administration, a relegation and a ten point deduction.

This after a 13 year stint in the EPL where, let's face it, they were part of the fixture's and fittings.

Regardless of who's calling the shots what we're doing now is sensible and the right thing for the future of SCFC.

-----

Outside the top flight (2005—2012)

"""In November 2005, manager Harry Redknapp resigned to rejoin Portsmouth, and was replaced by George Burley. Rupert Lowe resigned as chairman in June 2006, and Jersey-based businessman Michael Wilde, who had become the club's major shareholder assumed the post. Following a club record £6 million being spent on transfers, Polish strikers Grzegorz Rasiak and Marek Saganowski performed well and the season saw the introduction of 17-year-old left back Gareth Bale. Southampton finished in sixth place and lost the play-off semi-final to Derby County on penalties. The board sought new investment in the club, and In February 2007 Wilde stepped down as chairman to be replaced by local businessman Leon Crouch as "Acting chairman", a role Crouch retained until 21 July 2007. In the 2007—08 season,

In the 2007—08 season, George Burley revealed that players such as Bale and Kenwyne Jones had to be sold to stop the club going into administration and that failing to achieve promotion had put the club in serious financial difficulty. Burley left the club in January 2008 to take over as Scotland manager and was replaced by Nigel Pearson who saved the club from relegation on the final day.

In July 2008 all the board members except one resigned, allowing Lowe and Wilde to return: Wilde as Chairman of Southampton FC and Rupert Lowe as Chairman of Southampton Leisure Holdings plc. Although Pearson kept the team up, the board did not renew his contract due to financial constraints, and the relatively unknown Dutchman Jan Poortvliet was appointed manager. Financial troubles continued to mount, resulting in more players being sold or loaned out and parts of St Mary's were closed off to reduce costs. In January 2009, Poortvliet resigned with the club one place from bottom of the Championship, with Mark Wotte taking over managerial duties.

In April 2009, Southampton's parent company was placed in administration. A ten-point penalty was imposed, but as the team was already being relegated due to finishing second from bottom of the Football League Championship this points deduction had to apply to the 2009—10 season. By the end of May, the club was unable to meet its staff wages and asked employees to work unpaid as a gesture of goodwill. The administrator warned that the club faced imminent bankruptcy unless a buyer was found. In June, administrator Mark Fry confirmed negotiations with two groups of investors, followed by confirmation that the club had been sold to an overseas buyer "owned and controlled by Markus Liebherr". Liebherr brought in Italian businessman Nicola Cortese to look after the club's business interests on his behalf. In July 2009, with the club in the control of the new owner, Wotte was sacked as head coach and Alan Pardew was appointed as the new First Team Manager.The Saints made their first big signing under Liebherr, striker Rickie Lambert, who was purchased on 10 August from League One side Bristol Rovers.

Southampton started the 2009—10 season in League One, in the third tier of English football for the first time in 50 years and with −10 points.

In March 2010, Southampton won their first trophy since 1976 when they defeated Carlisle United 4—1 at Wembley to claim the Football League Trophy.[16] Southampton finished the season in 7th place, seven points from the last play-off position.

A new home shirt was unveiled on 10 June 2010, in celebration of the club's 125th anniversary. The design was based on the original St. Mary's Y.M.A. kit used in 1885; it featured the new anniversary crest and was without a sponsor's logo.[17] On 11 August, it was announced that Liebherr had died; however, the club's future had been assured and planned for before his death.[18][19] Pardew was dismissed in August and Nigel Adkins joined from Scunthorpe United as his replacement.[20] The club was promoted to the Championship in May 2011 as runners-up to Brighton & Hove Albion.

Returning to the Championship for the 2011—12 season, Southampton made their best start to a season for 75 years with a winning run at St. Mary's of 13 league games, setting a new club record and going top of the league. In April 2012, Southampton achieved promotion to the Premier League as runners-up to Reading. The final game of the season game set a record attendance at St Mary's Stadium of 32,363. Lambert finished the season as the Championship's top goalscorer with 27 league goals, his third "Golden Boot" in four seasons. He also won the Championship Player of the Year award."""

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:02 - Aug 31 with 2990 viewsCaptain_Sham

"Regardless of who's calling the shots what we're doing now is sensible and the right thing for the future of SCFC."

Further evidence of the truth of this statement is the group of people that disagree with it. A whos who of idiocy on Planetswans.

Its just a ride.

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:08 - Aug 31 with 2943 viewsPawelAbbott

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:02 - Aug 31 by Captain_Sham

"Regardless of who's calling the shots what we're doing now is sensible and the right thing for the future of SCFC."

Further evidence of the truth of this statement is the group of people that disagree with it. A whos who of idiocy on Planetswans.

After almost a billion pounds of revenue over the last 7 years we haven’t got a pot to puss in and these are the sensible ones?
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:11 - Aug 31 with 2910 viewsCaptain_Sham

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:08 - Aug 31 by PawelAbbott

After almost a billion pounds of revenue over the last 7 years we haven’t got a pot to puss in and these are the sensible ones?

???? What the loving fk are you talking about? The fact that we don't have a pot to pi$$ in is the reason we need to sell all our players which why doing so is sensible. Fk me.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2018 18:11]

Its just a ride.

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:12 - Aug 31 with 2898 viewsOldjack

We're not asking for the crown jewels ,just a decent squad and backups ,having to play with broken bones ,says it all ,we're slowly being raped

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:13 - Aug 31 with 2883 viewsAngelRangelQS

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:08 - Aug 31 by PawelAbbott

I’m not saying that we haven’t been badly run over the last few years but surely all that money is a bit of an illusion... the more money we had coming in the more we had greedy players, agents and board members grabbing at it.

We’ve also got fairwood and the academy.
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:15 - Aug 31 with 2876 viewslidojack

The irking thing is if we hadn't departed from our sensible financial policies from when we were first promoted we would be in a far better position to push on now.

The sensible workings of this summer have been forced by previous mismanagement.
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:18 - Aug 31 with 2848 viewsTheResurrection

And how much was the expense???

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:19 - Aug 31 with 2835 viewsBillyChong

Southampton ended up in that position due to mismanagement by the board, silly appointments (For Bob Bradley see Clive Woodward) so pretty much what happened here. They did seem to find some tidy owners in the end in that father/daughter duo.
Login to get fewer ads

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton (n/t) on 18:20 - Aug 31 with 2828 viewsEarl_Strickland

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:21 - Aug 31 with 2805 viewsTheResurrection

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:19 - Aug 31 by BillyChong

Southampton ended up in that position due to mismanagement by the board, silly appointments (For Bob Bradley see Clive Woodward) so pretty much what happened here. They did seem to find some tidy owners in the end in that father/daughter duo.

No, they broke their transfer record in trying to get back up on a severely lesser income.

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:21 - Aug 31 with 2806 viewssg1912

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:13 - Aug 31 by AngelRangelQS

I’m not saying that we haven’t been badly run over the last few years but surely all that money is a bit of an illusion... the more money we had coming in the more we had greedy players, agents and board members grabbing at it.

We’ve also got fairwood and the academy.

Fairwood?

.. the training ground we don’t actually own?
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:23 - Aug 31 with 2790 views34dfgdf54

Didn’t mean to down arrow that sorry.

Yanks and Jenkins out. C*nts
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:28 - Aug 31 with 2762 viewsChief

Would one extra permanent signing and 1 or 2 more extra strategic loans be that much of a gamble?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:31 - Aug 31 with 2741 viewsPawelAbbott

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:18 - Aug 31 by TheResurrection

And how much was the expense???

Who agreed to paying those prices and wages?
They weren't forced to buy Borja, Bony, Ayew, Messa, Clucas etc.
No one made them waste the money. They did it.
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:31 - Aug 31 with 2743 viewspembsjack

relying on kids to fill the squad is a bigger gamble in my opinion. Couple of injuries and a bad run of results could easily follow. Putting a hell of a lot of pressure of youngsters not quite ready yet.
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:36 - Aug 31 with 2699 viewsDarran

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:28 - Aug 31 by Chief

Would one extra permanent signing and 1 or 2 more extra strategic loans be that much of a gamble?

A couple of weeks ago he reckoned we had money for a dabble in the loan market.

I wonder what happened?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:40 - Aug 31 with 2664 viewsTheResurrection

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:36 - Aug 31 by Darran

I wonder what happened?

We brought in Carter Vickers

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:44 - Aug 31 with 2636 viewsDarran

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:40 - Aug 31 by TheResurrection

Yeah that one player will make a difference.

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:51 - Aug 31 with 2597 viewsAngelRangelQS

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:44 - Aug 31 by Darran

If Bony stays, where do you think we are short?

I think we can all agree on a physical central midfielder but other than that?
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:51 - Aug 31 with 2600 viewsEarl_Strickland

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:40 - Aug 31 by TheResurrection

You make my piss boil, The Resserection my ass. Your nothing but a character from Viz!
A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:53 - Aug 31 with 2583 viewsChief

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:51 - Aug 31 by AngelRangelQS

Up front. We have 2 strikers, neither of whom are fit.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:53 - Aug 31 with 2580 viewsLoyal

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:36 - Aug 31 by Darran

I wonder what happened?

Maybe he is just a good liar as someone else indicated.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:55 - Aug 31 with 2565 viewsShaky

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:44 - Aug 31 by Darran

I used to go out with a Vickers once.

Let's hope this one is as good as she was with her chest.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:55 - Aug 31 with 2562 viewsDarran

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:51 - Aug 31 by AngelRangelQS

I don’t necessarily think we are short in numbers I just think we are short in strength with too many youngsters.

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 19:01 - Aug 31 with 2512 viewsUxbridge

A lesson not to gamble in going straight back to the EPL from Southampton on 18:53 - Aug 31 by Chief

Up front. We have 2 strikers, neither of whom are fit.

And CB. Plus, if Fer is injured, we're in trouble.

In terms of numbers, it isn't that bad, but it's some key positions we could really have done with strengthening.

On the flip side, it's exciting to see the kids coming through. They've surpassed expectations to date. I'm enjoying that as much as anything.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024