Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales - future of the International team 14:26 - Oct 17 with 1920 viewsBadlands

Should our under 21 players be playing in the under 21 side improving their understanding of each other and challenging for honours?
I think Wales had 9 under 21s in the squad v Ireland.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Wales - future of the International team on 16:03 - Oct 17 with 1630 viewsjasper_T

In some cases callups to go train with the first team and sit on the bench (or not even that) are a waste of time. Dan and Joe would have been better off playing for the U21s or staying in Swansea.

But there's little point competing for junior honours (leave the English to get overly excited about their crops of early bloomers), and understanding their teammates doesn't count for much long term as very rarely does a particular u21s group go on to play a lot of senior football together.

If they're good enough to play for Wales (or we need to lock them down for the future so they don't go elsewhere) they should be in the senior squad.
Wales - future of the International team on 16:49 - Oct 17 with 1600 viewsbuilthjack

If they are good enough, throw them in.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales - future of the International team on 17:00 - Oct 17 with 1589 viewsjackrmee

Defo should be in the senior squad if they are good enough.
I don't think u21 football is really going to give them anything in terms of experience, apart from maybe some travelling.

Joe and DJ being in that squad is so much better than them staying in Swansea though. Imagine the confidence they got from the call up, then the experience they get from seeing how international camps work, plus different coaching styles of Giggs and his crew. They will come back beaming, even though they didn't get any minutes I'm sure.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Wales - future of the International team on 17:57 - Oct 17 with 1553 viewsEasternJack

Jonjo certainly came back beaming...

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Wales - future of the International team on 18:38 - Oct 17 with 1496 viewsjasper_T

Wales - future of the International team on 17:00 - Oct 17 by jackrmee

Defo should be in the senior squad if they are good enough.
I don't think u21 football is really going to give them anything in terms of experience, apart from maybe some travelling.

Joe and DJ being in that squad is so much better than them staying in Swansea though. Imagine the confidence they got from the call up, then the experience they get from seeing how international camps work, plus different coaching styles of Giggs and his crew. They will come back beaming, even though they didn't get any minutes I'm sure.

A couple of days training on the same pitches the u21s used, under a mastermind like Ryan Giggs yeah. Priceless experience, that. Graham Potter's Swansea setup can't compare, can it?
Wales - future of the International team on 18:45 - Oct 17 with 1488 viewsBadlands

I posed the question because our recent(ish) success was heavily supported with players who were successful with Flynn's under 21 team.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Wales - future of the International team on 18:47 - Oct 17 with 1484 viewsZaxx

Wales - future of the International team on 18:38 - Oct 17 by jasper_T

A couple of days training on the same pitches the u21s used, under a mastermind like Ryan Giggs yeah. Priceless experience, that. Graham Potter's Swansea setup can't compare, can it?

Variety, new surroundings, methods and experiences.
Priceless
Wales - future of the International team on 19:01 - Oct 17 with 1456 viewsjasper_T

Wales - future of the International team on 18:47 - Oct 17 by Zaxx

Variety, new surroundings, methods and experiences.
Priceless

It was only Ireland. Dan James was in Romania last week. They've toured many times before, with many of the players making up that superstar-less squad.

Be a shame for Dan if time wasted not even getting to pull on a shirt allowed McKay and co. to gain more of Potter's (misplaced) favour. Needs a run of competitive games not "experiences".
Login to get fewer ads

Wales - future of the International team on 19:06 - Oct 17 with 1448 viewsLeonWasGod

Wales - future of the International team on 16:49 - Oct 17 by builthjack

If they are good enough, throw them in.

This.. They'll earn a lot more about the team and the demands of full international footie if the actually play it.
Wales - future of the International team on 20:08 - Oct 17 with 1396 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 19:01 - Oct 17 by jasper_T

It was only Ireland. Dan James was in Romania last week. They've toured many times before, with many of the players making up that superstar-less squad.

Be a shame for Dan if time wasted not even getting to pull on a shirt allowed McKay and co. to gain more of Potter's (misplaced) favour. Needs a run of competitive games not "experiences".

You think that GP will frown upon Dan J and co. and prefer other players who didn't get (unintentionally) picked for their countries?!!!
Some people on here are mad

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Wales - future of the International team on 20:15 - Oct 17 with 1389 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 18:45 - Oct 17 by Badlands

I posed the question because our recent(ish) success was heavily supported with players who were successful with Flynn's under 21 team.

Fair point. I'll say then, that any international call up, not just full squad (and maybe u21 could be better), but still stand by my stance that they are better off away on internationals than staying in Swansea. It's a massive boos for any player to be picked for their country, let alone a youngster.
All confidence and experience.

Wales - future of the International team on 20:23 - Oct 17 with 1376 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 17:57 - Oct 17 by EasternJack

Jonjo certainly came back beaming...

Can't believe you're still trying to be me

Wales - future of the International team on 21:26 - Oct 17 with 1330 viewsjasper_T

Wales - future of the International team on 20:08 - Oct 17 by jackrmee

You think that GP will frown upon Dan J and co. and prefer other players who didn't get (unintentionally) picked for their countries?!!!
Some people on here are mad

I think he'll probably opt for the guys he's worked with the past week or so over someone who was out of sight and mind, yeah. Not in Joe's case as he's established himself, but the international break and Wales callup might have come at a bad time for Dan after the Ipswich game. He had a poor game against Romania for the u21s and then sat in on one or two senior training sessions (not for the first time, he and Joe took part in senior camps before the Mexico game).

Ideally he'd have played a game or stayed in Swansea.
Wales - future of the International team on 21:49 - Oct 17 with 1301 viewsMorganator100

Being involved in the full squad, it is a move that could provide a great benefit for players to enable them to progress in their professional career. They will be assisted and opposed by higher quality players and it will give them the awareness of the skills they must develop in order to survive the attrition that occurs to many young players.
Wales - future of the International team on 22:36 - Oct 17 with 1262 viewsjasper_T

Wales - future of the International team on 21:49 - Oct 17 by Morganator100

Being involved in the full squad, it is a move that could provide a great benefit for players to enable them to progress in their professional career. They will be assisted and opposed by higher quality players and it will give them the awareness of the skills they must develop in order to survive the attrition that occurs to many young players.

I think if you look back most of the young players we call up to make up the numbers for the experience of senior international football tend to flounder for years, it rarely sees them kick on in their professional careers. Harry Wilson's a prime example. Even the guys who play and impress for Wales can struggle for a long time afterwards. Look at what's happening with Woodburn now.

"Assisted and opposed by higher quality players" is a load of nonsense, too. Most international football is barely Championship level. Unless you're facing one of the big nations in a competitive game most of the u21s work with squads and coaches just as good and probably better than they'll find representing their country.

Without Bale and Ramsey a Wales camp preparing to face Ireland is nothing you're going to tell the grandkids about.
Wales - future of the International team on 06:46 - Oct 18 with 1169 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 21:26 - Oct 17 by jasper_T

I think he'll probably opt for the guys he's worked with the past week or so over someone who was out of sight and mind, yeah. Not in Joe's case as he's established himself, but the international break and Wales callup might have come at a bad time for Dan after the Ipswich game. He had a poor game against Romania for the u21s and then sat in on one or two senior training sessions (not for the first time, he and Joe took part in senior camps before the Mexico game).

Ideally he'd have played a game or stayed in Swansea.

How would playing time for Wales have helped his cause in your scenario?
GP may have caught the last 10mins of the Wales game and suddenly remembered he existed?

Wales - future of the International team on 06:57 - Oct 18 with 1161 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 22:36 - Oct 17 by jasper_T

I think if you look back most of the young players we call up to make up the numbers for the experience of senior international football tend to flounder for years, it rarely sees them kick on in their professional careers. Harry Wilson's a prime example. Even the guys who play and impress for Wales can struggle for a long time afterwards. Look at what's happening with Woodburn now.

"Assisted and opposed by higher quality players" is a load of nonsense, too. Most international football is barely Championship level. Unless you're facing one of the big nations in a competitive game most of the u21s work with squads and coaches just as good and probably better than they'll find representing their country.

Without Bale and Ramsey a Wales camp preparing to face Ireland is nothing you're going to tell the grandkids about.

So you blame Wales for Woodburn, Wilson et al's poor form?

It's not just about the guys working with "better" coaches at their clubs. It's about variety, differences and learning new things. It's about the experience making an impact on you and your being, not to be able to take some photos and have a story for your grandkids mun. You think people only do ANYTHING new in their lives in order to have a story to tell people, otherwise it's pointless? Dear me...

Wish we could ask Dan J, Joe and co. what it feels like to be in the Wales squad at such a young age...training with Giggs, Bale, etc. Seeing how it all works, wearing the jersey, hearing the crowd, winning games even! 2 international games to get involved in, evn if it's just immersing themselves in the atmosphere and stuff.
Do you honestly reckon they'd prefer to stay home and go training for 2 weeks when there's not even any games to play on Saturday? You're mad I tell you.

Wales - future of the International team on 12:35 - Oct 18 with 1085 viewsjasper_T

Wales - future of the International team on 06:57 - Oct 18 by jackrmee

So you blame Wales for Woodburn, Wilson et al's poor form?

It's not just about the guys working with "better" coaches at their clubs. It's about variety, differences and learning new things. It's about the experience making an impact on you and your being, not to be able to take some photos and have a story for your grandkids mun. You think people only do ANYTHING new in their lives in order to have a story to tell people, otherwise it's pointless? Dear me...

Wish we could ask Dan J, Joe and co. what it feels like to be in the Wales squad at such a young age...training with Giggs, Bale, etc. Seeing how it all works, wearing the jersey, hearing the crowd, winning games even! 2 international games to get involved in, evn if it's just immersing themselves in the atmosphere and stuff.
Do you honestly reckon they'd prefer to stay home and go training for 2 weeks when there's not even any games to play on Saturday? You're mad I tell you.

I've said nothing about what they might prefer. That wasn't the question in the op.

Dan didn't train with Bale this week. They've both seen how it all works in a training camps before. Dan didn't get to pull on the jersey as he wasn't included in the matchday squad.

I'm not "blaming Wales" for poor form, I'm just pointing out that an international callup isn't some magical experience that pushes players forward in their careers. We've seen plenty of players at Swansea get one-off international callups (or even just rumours of an England call) and go nowhere afterwards. They progress by playing games regularly.

Dan James should have been left alone to finish his u21s career against Switzerland.
Wales - future of the International team on 15:43 - Oct 18 with 1016 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 12:35 - Oct 18 by jasper_T

I've said nothing about what they might prefer. That wasn't the question in the op.

Dan didn't train with Bale this week. They've both seen how it all works in a training camps before. Dan didn't get to pull on the jersey as he wasn't included in the matchday squad.

I'm not "blaming Wales" for poor form, I'm just pointing out that an international callup isn't some magical experience that pushes players forward in their careers. We've seen plenty of players at Swansea get one-off international callups (or even just rumours of an England call) and go nowhere afterwards. They progress by playing games regularly.

Dan James should have been left alone to finish his u21s career against Switzerland.

I'd argue that an international call-up IS a magical experience (not that I've had one myself like). It's not going to propel people forward in their careers all the time no, but it certainly isn't a negative thing for any young player.

Joe did an interview for Swans TV and is absolutely chuffed to get the call, even though he know he is not near the starting XI.

GP in his presser for the Villa game also said that it's a good thing for the young players AND went even further to state that it's better (for the club) that Joe didn't get any pitch time.
"It is great for them, proud day for everyone connected with the club".
"Connor had 2 good games, 2 really good experiences. One from a tactical perspective against the Spanish, probably a great lesson for him."
"From Joe's perspective, he's in the international set-up. Probably selfishly from our point, it's nice he had a bit of a break from game time".
"Really pleased for them".

So unless GP is lying...
He does think Wales matches can improve players tactically.
He does believe a call-up is a good thing for a player, even though they don't get to play.
Although he doesn't state whether he thinks it would be better for them to play for the u21 team, I think his words show that he doesn't think they'd be better off staying in Swansea.

Wales - future of the International team on 16:04 - Oct 18 with 1000 viewsjasper_T

Playing Spain B was certainty a valuable learning experience. But I haven't been talking about Connor.
Wales - future of the International team on 16:06 - Oct 18 with 997 viewsjasper_T

He also didn't mention Dan at all, despite being prompted (twice), and said Montero's contribution down the left wing is "unique".

Out of sight and mind.
Wales - future of the International team on 16:42 - Oct 18 with 980 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 16:06 - Oct 18 by jasper_T

He also didn't mention Dan at all, despite being prompted (twice), and said Montero's contribution down the left wing is "unique".

Out of sight and mind.

So he's forgotten who Dan James is because he's been away for a few days in Ireland?
You've got a strong opinion of our manager fair play

Wales - future of the International team on 18:11 - Oct 18 with 953 viewsZaxx

Wales - future of the International team on 19:01 - Oct 17 by jasper_T

Only Ireland is fine.
You've only got to look around the Welsh squad to see what these "only" experiences have done to improve them.
Boys to men.
Let them grow.
Wales - future of the International team on 18:12 - Oct 18 with 953 viewsEasternJack

Wales - future of the International team on 20:23 - Oct 17 by jackrmee

Can't believe you're still trying to be me

Still on that chestnut?

As someone else pointed out, I was probably here first. Our respective forum votes would suggest so

Anyway - carry on...

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Wales - future of the International team on 18:55 - Oct 18 with 934 viewsjackrmee

Wales - future of the International team on 18:12 - Oct 18 by EasternJack

Still on that chestnut?

As someone else pointed out, I was probably here first. Our respective forum votes would suggest so

Anyway - carry on...

It's all good mate haha.
But fyi, yYour first post was 2016. Mine was 2013, and if you view the thread, it was me throwing my toys out of the pram due to the change in the forum setup from the old Planet Swans, hence I was here a lot longer before that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024