Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ken Burns’ Civil War 17:29 - Dec 3 with 1153 viewsLohengrin

Anybody else re-watching this lately? It’s being aired on PBS America, Sky Channel 160. I’d forgotten what a brilliant documentary series it was.

The theme tune is haunting and it’s impossible to imagine a piece better selected or more fitting. Wonderful stuff.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 17:55 - Dec 3 with 1132 viewsThrasher6

Nice piece of music that....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 20:30 - Dec 3 with 1070 viewsdickythorpe

Him and Larry Loyd were great for Clough.
Ken Burns’ Civil War on 20:41 - Dec 3 with 1066 viewsThrasher6

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 20:30 - Dec 3 by dickythorpe

Him and Larry Loyd were great for Clough.

True...and I didn't know he had that softer, compassionate, artistic side.....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 06:53 - Dec 4 with 1005 viewsjackal

Brilliant series about a fascinating era of American history. I've watched it a few times.

Always been interested in the Civil War and this covers it all.
Ken Burns’ Civil War on 21:29 - Dec 4 with 881 viewsNookiejack

Yes a great series and always liked Shelby Foote, the historian.

General Lee’s victories and invasion into the North to attack Washington - where South hoped North would then sue for peace- but where he was stopped at Gettysburg - which was probably end of the war then. Although went on for a few more years.
Ken Burns’ Civil War on 07:05 - Dec 5 with 828 viewsjackal

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 21:29 - Dec 4 by Nookiejack

Yes a great series and always liked Shelby Foote, the historian.

General Lee’s victories and invasion into the North to attack Washington - where South hoped North would then sue for peace- but where he was stopped at Gettysburg - which was probably end of the war then. Although went on for a few more years.

For the first two days pf Gettysburg Lee was winning. It was then that Lee made his great mistake. He sent Gen, George Pickett to attack Little Round Top. 15,000 men charged up hill without cover. It was a massacre.

Lee retreated South. Meade, the Union commander let him go. Had he followed up the war could have ended sooner instead of lasting two more years.

Had the South had the resources that the North had, it could have ended differently. In the end the rebels were starving, shoeless and throwing rocks.

Like all wars it was horrific, but fascinating.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2018 7:10]
Ken Burns’ Civil War on 12:58 - Dec 5 with 783 viewsProfessor

Would love the time to watch all of this. I guess the only way would be on a laptop where travelling. I have seen a few episodes over the years but would love to get the full picture. An interesting and complex war, with bloodshed on a scale not seen before. Fascinates me more now I have visited Georgia, Louisiana and the Carolinas in recent years.
Ken Burns’ Civil War on 14:14 - Dec 5 with 758 viewssherpajacob

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 20:41 - Dec 3 by Thrasher6

True...and I didn't know he had that softer, compassionate, artistic side.....

Old school.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Login to get fewer ads

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 15:10 - Dec 5 with 732 viewsBloodyhills

Saw this years ago and watched it again recently. It's a great documentary series. Ashokan farewell's not a bad bit of music either.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 12:01 - Dec 6 with 634 viewssherpajacob

Ken Burns’ Civil War on 07:05 - Dec 5 by jackal

For the first two days pf Gettysburg Lee was winning. It was then that Lee made his great mistake. He sent Gen, George Pickett to attack Little Round Top. 15,000 men charged up hill without cover. It was a massacre.

Lee retreated South. Meade, the Union commander let him go. Had he followed up the war could have ended sooner instead of lasting two more years.

Had the South had the resources that the North had, it could have ended differently. In the end the rebels were starving, shoeless and throwing rocks.

Like all wars it was horrific, but fascinating.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2018 7:10]

"Git thar fustest with the most mostest"

has always been thus

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024