Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Union Jacks & Loyalists 09:18 - Nov 25 with 37981 viewsSwanSwan

I noticed a new flag yesterday which I assume to be a loyalist flag. The Ulster hand and Rangers badge with Union Jack colours. Just wondering what the significance of this is?

I don't personally see how this or the Union Jack represents Swansea in any way. I get that plenty people identify as British but given the Union Jack is a amalgamation of each flag in the union aside from Wales why would we choose to display it in a Welsh football ground? Its almost seems welcoming to our opposition.

Do those that fly these flags not consider themselves Welsh too? Is there another political agenda at play here? Looking for an explanation of the Swansea Loyalist subculture really.

Tin hat on.
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 09:37 - Nov 25 with 14436 viewsKilkennyjack

Its about 30 people out of 20,000.
Most are middle aged nowadays.

Of course you are quite correct.

Dinas Abertawe am byth ....😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 09:41 - Nov 25 with 14417 viewsbyron

👀🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Benny

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 09:44 - Nov 25 with 14416 viewsBadlands

It had Swans Pride or something on it.
I make no apology for saying a Rangers emblem has no place in the Liberty home area especially as it obscured a Swansea banner.
If you want to be a complete pr*** and have a flag with a red hand on it that just shows you up as a religious throwback.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:06 - Nov 25 with 14380 viewsSwanSwan

It said Swansea Loyal on the top then something like 'quas separant' on the bottom. Not sure what language this is. Yes, it also was covering a Welsh flag Swansea banner.

If it is such a small minority, I'm not sure why we are allowing these flags. When away team fans come to our games or our games are broadcasted, this is the impression we are creating to outsiders. I personally find it quite embarrassing but appreciate if there are those that have Briish identities may not be so bothered with regards to the Union Jacks, but this doesn't explain the Loyal aspect or what the Union Jack is really representing here.

Can anyone shed more light on the Swansea Loyal. Are they Rangers fans that live in Swansea? Speak up.
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:21 - Nov 25 with 14344 viewsraynor94

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 09:37 - Nov 25 by Kilkennyjack

Its about 30 people out of 20,000.
Most are middle aged nowadays.

Of course you are quite correct.

Dinas Abertawe am byth ....😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

The Union Jack was loud and proud yesterday Kilks, surely you couldn't have missed it, if you were there?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:29 - Nov 25 with 14324 viewsraynor94

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:06 - Nov 25 by SwanSwan

It said Swansea Loyal on the top then something like 'quas separant' on the bottom. Not sure what language this is. Yes, it also was covering a Welsh flag Swansea banner.

If it is such a small minority, I'm not sure why we are allowing these flags. When away team fans come to our games or our games are broadcasted, this is the impression we are creating to outsiders. I personally find it quite embarrassing but appreciate if there are those that have Briish identities may not be so bothered with regards to the Union Jacks, but this doesn't explain the Loyal aspect or what the Union Jack is really representing here.

Can anyone shed more light on the Swansea Loyal. Are they Rangers fans that live in Swansea? Speak up.

So why didn't you just go up and politely ask them, because it's obviously bothering you?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:34 - Nov 25 with 14313 viewsunion_jack

Here we go again!

I don't know anything about the Ulster flag but the Union Jack is the British flag of which we all are. Yes I know, Wales isn't represented on it blah, blah, blah.

This topic is getting monotonous and boring. Try looking through other ubiquitous threads on the matter for the answer you seek rather than dragging it up again and again and again!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:37 - Nov 25 with 14309 viewsSwanSwan

They are always on the opposite side to me, I would be happy to ask them. Just after an understanding of some opposing views and where it comes from.
Login to get fewer ads

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:44 - Nov 25 with 14267 viewsraynor94

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:37 - Nov 25 by SwanSwan

They are always on the opposite side to me, I would be happy to ask them. Just after an understanding of some opposing views and where it comes from.

I'm British and also Welsh, so I can't see any problem in parading the Union flag, as long as it says Swansea City on it, fine by me

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:46 - Nov 25 with 14259 viewsCatullus

Small technical point which I know Kilk and Trampie don't agree with but Wales/Welsh colours aren't on the Union Jack because when the 'Union' with Scotland happened the English rulers considered Wales to already be part of England, we were subjugated, under English rule so already represented.

In this more enlightened age the Welsh Government should be pushing for some representation on the flag

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:49 - Nov 25 with 14233 viewsjackrmee

Why Ulster and Rangers? Surely this is not football related and nothing to do with SCFC.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:49 - Nov 25 with 14236 viewsHighjack

Rangers badge on a flag at a swans game is unacceptable.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:51 - Nov 25 with 14225 viewsSwanSwan

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:34 - Nov 25 by union_jack

Here we go again!

I don't know anything about the Ulster flag but the Union Jack is the British flag of which we all are. Yes I know, Wales isn't represented on it blah, blah, blah.

This topic is getting monotonous and boring. Try looking through other ubiquitous threads on the matter for the answer you seek rather than dragging it up again and again and again!

Union_Jack - I am quite aware of the previous threads on the Union Jack. This one, however, was as a result of the Ulster & Rangers flag draped over the Welsh one.

I brought up the Union Jack as they seem to be part of the same movement.
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:54 - Nov 25 with 14202 viewsjackrmee

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:49 - Nov 25 by Highjack

Rangers badge on a flag at a swans game is unacceptable.

I'd want to know why the Rangers badge is there.
Den Haag badge with a Swans flag would make me think it's positive and I'd want to talk to them guys.
Rangers badge makes me wonder what their intentions are. I try not to be judgemental, but it doesn't fill me with the same warm feelings.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:55 - Nov 25 with 14196 viewsSwanSwan

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:46 - Nov 25 by Catullus

Small technical point which I know Kilk and Trampie don't agree with but Wales/Welsh colours aren't on the Union Jack because when the 'Union' with Scotland happened the English rulers considered Wales to already be part of England, we were subjugated, under English rule so already represented.

In this more enlightened age the Welsh Government should be pushing for some representation on the flag

Didn't know this was the reason, Catullus.

Even Welsh that are pro British should surely prefer to have some representation on the flag?
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:01 - Nov 25 with 14162 viewsjack247

For me personally, football grounds shouldn’t be the place to make political/nationalistic statements, which is what these flags essentially are. Just enjoy the game.
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:07 - Nov 25 with 14125 viewsjackrmee

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:01 - Nov 25 by jack247

For me personally, football grounds shouldn’t be the place to make political/nationalistic statements, which is what these flags essentially are. Just enjoy the game.

Exactly. Get them out of the ground. It's just going to cause animosity amongst our own fans.
I'm getting wound up already and I don't give a fuk for politics.

How would someone like it if there was a Celtic flag with a Swans badge, or an IRA badge on a Swansea flag? Or low and behold, a flag of Corbyn's face with "Swans Loyal" written on it.
There'd be uproar.

Get rid.

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:14 - Nov 25 with 14109 viewsLohengrin

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 10:06 - Nov 25 by SwanSwan

I know quite a few lads who transferred down to the Abbey when Ravenscraig closed. Settled here now, their kids have broad Welsh accents and follow the Swans. Good people.

Chances are it’s some of those, don’t get your knickers in a twist the 36th Division aren’t marching on Plasmarl.

By the way are you trying to say ‘Quis Separabit?’ If so it’s abbreviated Latin from Romans 8:35. It’s fun and educational, this place.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 22:25]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:20 - Nov 25 with 14084 viewstrampie

Union Jacks and Loyalist flags in the home end in Swansea is embarrassing and shameful, What message does it sends out to people watching on tv and what must opposing fans think ?
Immigration and English media and state propaganda history lessons in schools must be having an effect.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:21 - Nov 25 with 14077 viewsSA4

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:01 - Nov 25 by jack247

I wonder if the Welsh Independence flag displayed quite prominently at Tranmere Away in the FA Cup few years back was condemned so strongly as well?
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:26 - Nov 25 with 14050 viewstrampie

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:21 - Nov 25 by SA4

I wonder if the Welsh Independence flag displayed quite prominently at Tranmere Away in the FA Cup few years back was condemned so strongly as well?

Swansea is a Welsh club.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:27 - Nov 25 with 14044 viewsjack247

I’ve got no idea and I’m not knocking anyone’s politics or whether they primarily consider themselves Welsh, British, European etc.

I’d just rather people leave all that at home and go for the actual football.
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:32 - Nov 25 with 14022 viewsSwanSwan

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:14 - Nov 25 by Lohengrin

I know quite a few lads who transferred down to the Abbey when Ravenscraig closed. Settled here now, their kids have broad Welsh accents and follow the Swans. Good people.

Chances are it’s some of those, don’t get your knickers in a twist the 36th Division aren’t marching on Plasmarl.

By the way are you trying to say ‘Quis Separabit?’ If so it’s abbreviated Latin from Romans 8:35. It’s fun and educational, this place.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2018 22:25]

Thank you for the explanation Lohengrin, no twisted nickers here.

My eyes weren't good enough to identify the words but ‘Quis Seperabit?’ does seem to fit the bill. A quick search translates it to

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?" and is associated with Ulster Unionism.

All good with the decent lads supporting the swans but not sure this form of political symbolism belongs on show at a Welsh football club.
Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:34 - Nov 25 with 14010 viewsDarran

Is that a serious post?

Kin hell.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:38 - Nov 25 with 14000 viewstrampie

Union Jacks & Loyalists on 11:27 - Nov 25 by jack247

I’ve got no idea and I’m not knocking anyone’s politics or whether they primarily consider themselves Welsh, British, European etc.

I’d just rather people leave all that at home and go for the actual football.

Football is tribal, the more passionate the support base the more hostile the environment for the opposition, Swansea did rank as a passionate fanbase back in the day, Swansea is now in danger of losing its identity [as a Welsh team representing people from its community].

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024