Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof 11:22 - Mar 12 with 3277 viewsCirenJack

Anybody had experience of this work, or can recommend suitable contractors in Swansea?

Thanks in advance.
Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 11:29 - Mar 12 with 3261 viewsunion_jack

It depends on what type of asbestos it is. I think, but don’t quote me in this, that corrugated roofs may be the safe type but you’d need a qualified contractor to look at it.

If it’s the nasty type then it’s going to be costly because of disposal fees I think the nearest place is Swindon or somewhere in that area, or it used to be).

There will be plenty to chose from on the internet but in answer to your actual question I couldn’t recommend one.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 11:47 - Mar 12 with 3247 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Having done this recently on a property in the Midlands I'd recommend shopping around. I had 45m2 removed for £800+vat. For larger amounts I was quoted £12psm. Other contractors were charging almost twice as much.

If you are in Cirencester, Smith's of Gloucester are s decent firm.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 12:00]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 12:52 - Mar 12 with 3201 viewsCirenJack

Thanks.
I'm now Swansea based.
It's white asbestos, so still needs a certificate for disposal.
Was thinking about putting a felt roof over the asbestos, but think that's been made illegal.
Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 13:27 - Mar 12 with 3186 viewsNeath_Jack

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 12:52 - Mar 12 by CirenJack

Thanks.
I'm now Swansea based.
Was thinking about putting a felt roof over the asbestos, but think that's been made illegal.

Yes, you can remove it yourself.

Contact your local council, they may have got a facility that you can take it to, Swansea used to collect sheets from homeowners.

Try to take them off in one sheet, don't cut or saw them.

Make sure you wear a P3 disposable mask, and disposable overalls, you'll be fine.

And yes, you can felt over it if you want to, no problem at all.

Edit, the council may expect you to double wrap it in polythene before they move it, agains that's no problem and easy to do.

PM if you need any more info.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 13:29]

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 14:44 - Mar 12 with 3140 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 13:27 - Mar 12 by Neath_Jack

Contact your local council, they may have got a facility that you can take it to, Swansea used to collect sheets from homeowners.

Make sure you wear a P3 disposable mask, and disposable overalls, you'll be fine.

Edit, the council may expect you to double wrap it in polythene before they move it, agains that's no problem and easy to do.

Standard practice guidance.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/em9.pdf

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 16:57 - Mar 12 with 3055 viewsNeath_Jack

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 14:44 - Mar 12 by JACKMANANDBOY

Standard practice guidance.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/em9.pdf

That's a bit misleading for a homeowner, as it talks about waste carriers licence etc, which isn't needed for him to transport his own waste to a waste facility.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 17:04 - Mar 12 with 3045 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 16:57 - Mar 12 by Neath_Jack

That's a bit misleading for a homeowner, as it talks about waste carriers licence etc, which isn't needed for him to transport his own waste to a waste facility.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out.

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 17:29 - Mar 12 with 3015 viewsJackfath

DIg a large hole and bury it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Login to get fewer ads

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 18:21 - Mar 12 with 2973 viewsWingstandwood

For D.I.Y’ers.

Do not walk directly on any sheet you’re almost certain to fall through.
Place scaffolding planks (can be rented from tool hire company) across the building/outhouse/garage roof to make walking safer.
The planks must be long enough to go over all steel supports to create correct weight distribution and to prevent any seesaw effect.

Try to remove the sheet in one full intact piece. Do not drop!
Unlike modern day plastic coated sheets with TEK screws (come with protective cap) bygone era white asbestos sheets are affixed by means of more corrosive fixings. You many find some won’t turn because they’ll have rusted. Many use a grinder cutting disk if there is an underlying (usually one there) steel washer that prevents the cutting disk from cutting directly into the asbestos. Keep the grinding disk perfectly flat and do not dig into/cut asbestos. Cutting can be safely done from below if there is minimal height, if safer to do so, and there is lesser chance of cutting into asbestos it can also be done from there.

Make sure nobody is standing underneath whilst this is going on because threaded affixings tend to be extremely hot and drop.

Wear required safety kit/clothing and wash hands when eating afterwards because not only does asbestos cause lung cancer (lung mesothelioma) it can cause peritoneal mesothelioma also by means of digestion. Be wary of any yet to be seen residual dust caused by weathering/wear and tear asbestos e.g sometimes found on above asbestos surface area and on rare occasions underlying angle iron steelwork. So wear safety kit/clothing at all times.

Argus!

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 18:35 - Mar 12 with 2960 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 17:29 - Mar 12 by Jackfath

DIg a large hole and bury it.

I see you have moved on from fly tipping, jolly well done sir.

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:26 - Mar 12 with 2918 viewsDyfnant

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 12:52 - Mar 12 by CirenJack

Thanks.
I'm now Swansea based.

Felt is old school. Use rubber sheet these days, much better.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:44 - Mar 12 with 2889 viewsJackfath

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 18:35 - Mar 12 by JACKMANANDBOY

I see you have moved on from fly tipping, jolly well done sir.

I’ve never suggested fly tipping. You must have me mixed up with one of the other better posters amongst us.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:50 - Mar 12 with 2881 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:44 - Mar 12 by Jackfath

I’ve never suggested fly tipping. You must have me mixed up with one of the other better posters amongst us.

Yes people keep changing their names, it is hard to keep up.

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:54 - Mar 12 with 2876 viewsJackfath

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:50 - Mar 12 by JACKMANANDBOY

Yes people keep changing their names, it is hard to keep up.

I haven’t changed mine so you’re mistaken. Who do you think I was (or am)?

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:59 - Mar 12 with 2872 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 19:54 - Mar 12 by Jackfath

I haven’t changed mine so you’re mistaken. Who do you think I was (or am)?

I have had a long day, too late for existential questions, I can just about manage power washers!

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 20:04 - Mar 12 with 2869 viewstheloneranger

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 13:27 - Mar 12 by Neath_Jack

Swansea council will collect asbestos sheets from your home @ £30 a sheet, with a maximum of 3 sheets (3'x8')

https://www.swansea.gov.uk/asbestoscollection

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 20:26 - Mar 12 with 2844 viewsvetchonian

Maybe our ex chairman is looking for a hobble to top his money up

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 21:46 - Mar 14 with 2606 viewsSenhin

It's only cement. Even if it has Crocidolite and Amosite in it with the Chrysotile, It's low risk and outside. Get a disposable P3 filter and a pair of coveralls, and just don't drill or saw it, and you'll be fine if you want to do it yourself. Just it will cost, as people have said, to dispose of it.

If you want someone else to do it, not that this is exactly technically the right advice to give... It will be a lot cheaper if you were to get in touch with a guy who works with removals directly, rather than their company, and they'll do it for you cheaply and dispose of the waste in with their next official job when they have a skip available. I could probably find some people interested in doing that haha.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Replacing a corrugated asbestos roof on 12:14 - Mar 16 with 2451 viewsCirenJack

Thanks to all who've responded.
Plan in action as soon as the wind drops!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024