Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting footy results years ago.... 17:54 - Mar 12 with 2364 viewsswan65split

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/8520b9b3-5389-4f13-b947-96f805d2cfd3

In my youth if the Swans were playing a midweek away game you would have to wait till the end of News at Ten and hope the result had got through to Reggie.......otherwise it was probably wait till you had the Evening post on the way back home from school!

you dont know your born today
Getting footy results years ago.... on 18:17 - Mar 12 with 2347 viewsfelixstowe_jack

All football results were in morning daily papers.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Getting footy results years ago.... on 18:26 - Mar 12 with 2338 viewsDewi1jack

Sporting post on the way home from games.
Teletext when it came out (80's?)
Morning papers or radio news

Long wait to see what the rivals had done, to work out the table!

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Getting footy results years ago.... on 18:54 - Mar 12 with 2305 viewsswan65split

Getting footy results years ago.... on 18:17 - Mar 12 by felixstowe_jack

Middle 60s onwards. not always, and sometimes papers never came until after i had left for school.
Getting footy results years ago.... on 19:03 - Mar 12 with 2293 viewsBadlands

I did a great trade selling the Sporting Post on a Saturday evening to regulars and around the pubs.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Getting footy results years ago.... on 19:35 - Mar 12 with 2249 viewsjack2jack

Saturday afternoon watching Grandstand and World of Sport.
Think one of them had a teleprinter with the scores and one had the scores and pools. Fvck me that was a long time ago.😀
Edit, not midweek sorry. Interesting nonetheless for the dare I say (cough)older posters.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 19:51]
Getting footy results years ago.... on 19:43 - Mar 12 with 2226 viewssherpajacob

There was a great spitting image sketch about the ITN newsreader and his knowledge of the football league ups and downs.

Radio two was the only other option I think they did the scores at 9.55 pm or something like that.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Getting footy results years ago.... on 20:31 - Mar 12 with 2165 viewsbuilthjack

Waiting outside the newsagents on a Saturday at 6ish for the green sporting to arrive

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Getting footy results years ago.... on 20:38 - Mar 12 with 2150 viewsGaryjack

Getting footy results years ago.... on 19:43 - Mar 12 by sherpajacob

There was a great spitting image sketch about the ITN newsreader and his knowledge of the football league ups and downs.

Radio two was the only other option I think they did the scores at 9.55 pm or something like that.

It was across the board as well in those days, not just the lower league clubs. I remember in the late 70's Liverpool playing away at Wolves midweek when they had to win to be Champions. Had to wait for 2 mins of action at the end of the ten o'clock news to find out they'd won. Not even a Match of the day special! Don't even think the League cup final was broadcast live until the late 80's!
Login to get fewer ads

Getting footy results years ago.... on 21:19 - Mar 12 with 2089 viewsdickythorpe

Ceefax was Page 600 then 302.
Oracle was 140

Rugby had just one results page and the All Whites result was always late much to the despair of my old man.
Getting footy results years ago.... on 03:07 - Mar 13 with 1982 viewsJack59

In the early and mid 1960's the telephone numbers of all league grounds were in the Playfair Football Handbook, it had fairly comprehensive information about individual clubs, their grounds, even players height and weight, number of appearances etc....
It's difficult to believe now, but not that many homes had a phone in the early sixties, so I often rang the away grounds at half time and told them I was Press, sometimes I remember getting quite full reports from whoever they were answering my calls.
Getting footy results years ago.... on 04:00 - Mar 13 with 1960 viewsGlyn1

There were newspapers on sale within an hour with the results of the matches - God knows how they did it that fast, weren't they usually coloured pink or green?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Getting footy results years ago.... on 06:54 - Mar 13 with 1931 viewsCooperman

Twitter users - @FootieFax provides a little throwback to the 80’s with its Ceefax style correspondence.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Getting footy results years ago.... on 07:02 - Mar 13 with 1922 viewsPegojack

I remember in the early 70s taking a tinny little transistor radio into school on a Monday morning to hear the 3rd round FA Cup draw at lunchtime when the Swans had made it through. All praying for a home tie against a top club.
Plus ca change.....
Getting footy results years ago.... on 10:28 - Mar 13 with 1831 viewsLeonWasGod

I can't believe I used to sit and watch Ceefax, for the 90 minutes. Although in hindsight it was great preparation for watching Sousa's team.
Getting footy results years ago.... on 11:46 - Mar 13 with 1794 viewsswan65split

Getting footy results years ago.... on 06:54 - Mar 13 by Cooperman

Twitter users - @FootieFax provides a little throwback to the 80’s with its Ceefax style correspondence.

They dont seem to give attendances anymore.

Loved reading SHOOT on a Thursday, games, results teams attendance.
Getting footy results years ago.... on 12:14 - Mar 13 with 1779 viewsGwyn737

Getting footy results years ago.... on 11:46 - Mar 13 by swan65split

They dont seem to give attendances anymore.

Loved reading SHOOT on a Thursday, games, results teams attendance.

There was jeopardy on whether The Sporting would be on sale at the bus station before my last bus (5:45) left. I was always amazed that they got it out so quick.

If I missed it, there was a delivery left outside our local newsagents (which was closed). It was an unwriten rule that you just took one and put the money through the letter box or popped back in the morning.
Getting footy results years ago.... on 12:31 - Mar 13 with 1758 viewsWxmJax

Getting footy results years ago.... on 18:17 - Mar 12 by felixstowe_jack

The Scum often missed results as it went to press early. Took me ages delivering the papers after a footy night.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Getting footy results years ago.... on 12:43 - Mar 13 with 1746 viewsswan65split

Getting footy results years ago.... on 12:14 - Mar 13 by Gwyn737

There was jeopardy on whether The Sporting would be on sale at the bus station before my last bus (5:45) left. I was always amazed that they got it out so quick.

If I missed it, there was a delivery left outside our local newsagents (which was closed). It was an unwriten rule that you just took one and put the money through the letter box or popped back in the morning.

In PT we had a one armed man selling the post, always stood on the corner of Bethany Square, rain, sleet, wind or cold , shouting " EEEEEENing Post"
even as a youngster I always let him keep the change.

anyone remember the chap we had selling the post at the Vetch ?
Getting footy results years ago.... on 12:48 - Mar 13 with 1743 viewsNeath_Jack

There was also a club call telephone number that you could ring during a game, and you'd get the live commentary.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Getting footy results years ago.... on 13:32 - Mar 13 with 1697 viewssherpajacob

Getting footy results years ago.... on 12:48 - Mar 13 by Neath_Jack

There was also a club call telephone number that you could ring during a game, and you'd get the live commentary.

Dial carefully.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Getting footy results years ago.... on 16:35 - Mar 13 with 1623 viewstheloneranger

Getting footy results years ago.... on 12:43 - Mar 13 by swan65split

In PT we had a one armed man selling the post, always stood on the corner of Bethany Square, rain, sleet, wind or cold , shouting " EEEEEENing Post"
even as a youngster I always let him keep the change.

anyone remember the chap we had selling the post at the Vetch ?

Wasn't he the same bloke who sold the Evening Post outside Swansea Castle??

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Getting footy results years ago.... on 19:23 - Mar 13 with 1552 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Getting footy results years ago.... on 16:35 - Mar 13 by theloneranger

Wasn't he the same bloke who sold the Evening Post outside Swansea Castle??

I recall that guy shouted.......

EEEEEEEEEEIN PO..O..O

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024