Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Beating The High Press 13:20 - Apr 14 with 2919 viewsploppy

Any suggestions as to why we failed miserably to do that yesterday, whereas we've done it against better teams including Man City?
Beating The High Press on 13:23 - Apr 14 with 2910 viewsPozuelosSideys

It was a day of clusterfhucks. Errors everywhere which normally get managed. QPR did press well, but we were not mentally at it at all. Look at the first goal. Corner comes in, saved, out for another corner where they did exactly the same thing and scored.

Yesterday they just caught us cold and rammed it home. We have been very good in recent games at beating it which is why teams stop doing it after 20 minutes and start sitting back. It worked for the 90 yesterday so they kept doing it

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Beating The High Press on 13:29 - Apr 14 with 2884 viewsjasper_T

Man City had Gundogan jogging around doing fck all which left plenty of space for our midfielders to find.
Beating The High Press on 13:31 - Apr 14 with 2872 viewsPozuelosSideys

Beating The High Press on 13:29 - Apr 14 by jasper_T

Man City had Gundogan jogging around doing fck all which left plenty of space for our midfielders to find.

Do you think Byers is ready to be a week-in, week-out starter Jasp? His head went noticeably down yesterday and he couldnt make a pass under pressure for love nor money. Not his fault, but he needs a bit more protection imo

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Beating The High Press on 13:39 - Apr 14 with 2845 viewskrunchykarrot

Beating The High Press on 13:31 - Apr 14 by PozuelosSideys

Do you think Byers is ready to be a week-in, week-out starter Jasp? His head went noticeably down yesterday and he couldnt make a pass under pressure for love nor money. Not his fault, but he needs a bit more protection imo

He definitely needs to start , but we need a experienced captain and ball winning CM. Crumbs to take from that pasting yesterday is that GP can experiment until the end of season. He will then have an idea where to strengthen if he can that is. % games left then we will all know the immediate future. I hope Trevor has seen the potential in this team and manages to give GP the tools he needs or hell be off.
Beating The High Press on 13:47 - Apr 14 with 2822 viewsploppy

I know you weren't asking me but I'd be tempted to have him as sub away from home. When we're under the cosh he seems to disappear and his confidence definitely suffers. He had a decent effort from outside the box but that's all I remember of him yesterday.
Beating The High Press on 13:48 - Apr 14 with 2815 viewsjasper_T

He's a goalscoring 10 having to play a deeper, disciplined role in his first run of games in senior football. Not a position I enjoyed watching him play for the u23s when they tried it.

Done well all things considered. The squad is what it is and he's evidently the best we have for the job.
Beating The High Press on 14:08 - Apr 14 with 2779 viewsFireboy2

Beating The High Press on 13:48 - Apr 14 by jasper_T

He's a goalscoring 10 having to play a deeper, disciplined role in his first run of games in senior football. Not a position I enjoyed watching him play for the u23s when they tried it.

Done well all things considered. The squad is what it is and he's evidently the best we have for the job.

Bloody shame his head seem to go down, but hes improved out of sight since coming into the side this season and he will get better.
Beating The High Press on 16:18 - Apr 14 with 2662 viewsThornburyswan

Not in away matches when we also start James, Routs, Nath & Grimes for me - way too lightweight particularly if they press us & stop us building nicely from the back.
Login to get fewer ads

Beating The High Press on 17:45 - Apr 14 with 2587 viewsjack247

We just looked knackered to me. That was our 5th game in 2 weeks with near enough the same side.

Going 2 down early on killed us. Stream cut for a bit and I missed the second goal, but the first was our Achilles heel again, not defending a corner.

As others have already said, a few heads dropped after that. I don’t think it’s the high press in particular, we’ve dealt with that before and looked quite good passing around it and launching counters. They were physical yesterday and to be honest, we didn’t really turn up.
Beating The High Press on 19:36 - Apr 14 with 2471 viewsUxbridge

Kids in not putting in consistent performances shocker. That accounts for most of it anyway.

The senior pros had a bit of a mare too though, but then none of them were noted for their consistency either.

One of those days. I'd prefer to concerntrate on the positives of the previous week.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Beating The High Press on 20:06 - Apr 14 with 2426 viewsploppy

Beating The High Press on 19:36 - Apr 14 by Uxbridge

Kids in not putting in consistent performances shocker. That accounts for most of it anyway.

The senior pros had a bit of a mare too though, but then none of them were noted for their consistency either.

One of those days. I'd prefer to concerntrate on the positives of the previous week.

It's not about kids' consistent performances though - and it certainly doesn't account for most of it. I'd be prepared to bet that if we'd played QPR at home yesterday, with the very same team, we'd have beaten them.

And, it's all very well concentrating on the positives from 3 wins on the bounce at home. That's just burying your head in the sand. What we need to address is our away results. We were bullied out of a result at West Brom and Forest. I don't know if that means changing personnel or changing formation or what.

I just don't buy the "one of those days" argument. QPR hadn't won in forever, we should have been full of confidence and yet we get a performance like that.
Beating The High Press on 20:34 - Apr 14 with 2395 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Beating The High Press on 20:06 - Apr 14 by ploppy

It's not about kids' consistent performances though - and it certainly doesn't account for most of it. I'd be prepared to bet that if we'd played QPR at home yesterday, with the very same team, we'd have beaten them.

And, it's all very well concentrating on the positives from 3 wins on the bounce at home. That's just burying your head in the sand. What we need to address is our away results. We were bullied out of a result at West Brom and Forest. I don't know if that means changing personnel or changing formation or what.

I just don't buy the "one of those days" argument. QPR hadn't won in forever, we should have been full of confidence and yet we get a performance like that.

Neither. It’s al about changing mentality. It’s about drilling into the team the need to develop a mental toughness away from home. It’s not just recently, we folded like a cheap deckchair at Birmingham and Rotherham as well.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Beating The High Press on 20:44 - Apr 14 with 2381 viewsUxbridge

Beating The High Press on 20:06 - Apr 14 by ploppy

They didn't score 2 goals in the first 5 by bullying us. The entire team simply wasn't switched on. That hasn't been the norm.

It wasn't a one off though, I agree, and a lot of it is due to our inability to deal with set pieces which was a similar problem in the early Martinez days. Some of it is due to game management and leadership though, which are bigger issues when playing in more hostile environments. Which goes back to the fact we've got a fair few young pros in the team.

I tend to look at the growth in the squad over the season though. We're playing much better stuff than we were at the start of the season. Unfortunately we have some glaring weaknesses that teams are now wise to and take advantage of, particularly now the likes of Fer aren't available to give us a more physical dimension.

Some of the issue we have will be solved by time. Some by coaching. Some by recruitment. Must admit we're in a better position than I thought we'd be in and the upside of this squad is really quite exciting. If we keep them and add a bit of course.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Beating The High Press on 09:32 - Apr 15 with 2121 viewsBadlands

Beating The High Press on 17:45 - Apr 14 by jack247

We just looked knackered to me. That was our 5th game in 2 weeks with near enough the same side.

Going 2 down early on killed us. Stream cut for a bit and I missed the second goal, but the first was our Achilles heel again, not defending a corner.

As others have already said, a few heads dropped after that. I don’t think it’s the high press in particular, we’ve dealt with that before and looked quite good passing around it and launching counters. They were physical yesterday and to be honest, we didn’t really turn up.

Exactly
The amount of effort I've seen in those 5 games would be extremely draining.
Quick pass and move needs players to be physically and mentally sharp. For most of ours his is a ew way of playing.
Excited for next season though.
As for Byers?
Not ready for week in week out parts.
IMO does well in parts but is sloppy especially between our own penalty area and half way line.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Beating The High Press on 09:45 - Apr 15 with 2110 viewsploppy

Beating The High Press on 09:32 - Apr 15 by Badlands

Exactly
The amount of effort I've seen in those 5 games would be extremely draining.
Quick pass and move needs players to be physically and mentally sharp. For most of ours his is a ew way of playing.
Excited for next season though.
As for Byers?
Not ready for week in week out parts.
IMO does well in parts but is sloppy especially between our own penalty area and half way line.

I tend to agree that we looked leggy. Potter must have known that it was a big ask to play the same starting eleven again (especially away from home) so I'm surprised he didn't change it. He could have started Fulton (who I'm not a huge fan of, but at least he gets stuck in) and McKay (who I'm also not a big fan of, but he played well away at Brentford). He could still have had DJ and Byers on the bench.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024