Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Howdens 20:31 - Jul 18 with 2255 viewsAguycalledJack

Why won’t they give a price direct to me on internal doors but can email the price to our contractor?
Howdens on 20:39 - Jul 18 with 2230 viewsexiledclaseboy

They only sell directly to trade. They’re not retailers.

Poll: Tory leader

Howdens on 21:05 - Jul 18 with 2188 viewsAguycalledJack

I understand that, why can’t they just tell me what price they are giving the contractor?

I’ve heard some horror story’s on different level invoices being presented, a higher one for contractors to pass on to the client and a lower one which the contractor actually pays.
Howdens on 21:08 - Jul 18 with 2177 viewsexiledclaseboy

Howdens on 21:05 - Jul 18 by AguycalledJack

I understand that, why can’t they just tell me what price they are giving the contractor?

I’ve heard some horror story’s on different level invoices being presented, a higher one for contractors to pass on to the client and a lower one which the contractor actually pays.

Because if they told you what they quoted the contractor you’d be able to work out the outrageous mark up when the contractor quotes you. It’s a nice little set up for the seller and the contractor. You’re just the patsy at the end of the process.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 21:15]

Poll: Tory leader

Howdens on 21:14 - Jul 18 with 2161 viewsAguycalledJack

To be honest it stinks. I don’t mind paying the contractor for the work he’s doing, but to be hit by a mark up is disgusting.
Howdens on 21:18 - Jul 18 with 2142 viewsdickythorpe

Howdens on 21:14 - Jul 18 by AguycalledJack

To be honest it stinks. I don’t mind paying the contractor for the work he’s doing, but to be hit by a mark up is disgusting.

How old are you?
Howdens on 21:27 - Jul 18 with 2131 viewsmonmouth

They quoted me direct for our kitchen after I specified the kit I wanted, and I negotiated them down to just over half their price by just knowing what I was prepared to pay (their prices are very very ‘elastic’). I then paid the carpenter to install it and just buy it on his account at my agreed price. Have they stopped doing that now?

If so just find someone who will sell direct and get a carpenter to install. Or use that as your negotiation point with Howdies through your carpenter. We’ve used them a fair bit and from my experience they will meet your price unless you get silly.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Howdens on 21:29 - Jul 18 with 2130 viewsAguycalledJack

Howdens on 21:18 - Jul 18 by dickythorpe

How old are you?

Why? So you agree with the mark up?
Howdens on 21:39 - Jul 18 with 2101 viewsNeath_Jack

Howdens on 21:29 - Jul 18 by AguycalledJack

Why? So you agree with the mark up?

Just open an account with them

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Login to get fewer ads

Howdens on 21:40 - Jul 18 with 2100 viewsAguycalledJack

Howdens on 21:39 - Jul 18 by Neath_Jack

Just open an account with them

Am I able to do that as non trade?
Howdens on 22:15 - Jul 18 with 2043 viewsmajorraglan

Howdens on 21:40 - Jul 18 by AguycalledJack

If you are doing a self build or a major refurb they may let you do it. Their prices are negotiable and their regular trade customers will get a better deal on account of volume. A tidy carpenter won’t rip you off. Have to say we bought our hinges and door handles from there and the quality was excellent not like the cr@p lots of stores sell. I think Top class carpentry sell some of the same range so you can compare.
Howdens on 22:16 - Jul 18 with 2035 viewsSoberBaker

When you go to Asda and buy a tin of beans, do you kick off at the checkout demanding what the cost price for them were?

AMOW

Howdens on 22:26 - Jul 18 with 2022 viewsNotLoyal

That's called running a business 👍

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Howdens on 22:27 - Jul 18 with 2019 viewsNotLoyal

Who says you are non trade ? Just say you are.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Howdens on 22:30 - Jul 18 with 2014 viewsSoberBaker

Just don't expect the same discount as the lads that are slogging their guts out all year and spending north of 10k per month 👍

AMOW

Howdens on 22:31 - Jul 18 with 2008 viewsAguycalledJack

Thanks for all the advice
Howdens on 22:45 - Jul 18 with 1985 viewsUxbridge

Mate of mine is a chippy. He gets a 30% discount there. Gather it's a tiered approach to the discounts which is why the don't publish prices.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Howdens on 02:39 - Jul 19 with 1897 viewsJack123

I doubt Howdens would be involved in any shenanigans like that! But it does make you think!

Got a feeling, you are expecting the chippy to rip you off?

libera nos a malo

Howdens on 06:18 - Jul 19 with 1838 viewsN_T_J

If you get a written quote off B&Q, take it to Howden's, they will usually do it 10% less, then show B&Q (trade counter) Howden's quote, then B&Q will knock 10% off their price, if you can be bothered to do it of course, you can keep going back and forth and you'll get a free kitchen 😁
Howdens on 07:50 - Jul 19 with 1769 viewsNeath_Jack

You used to be able to mate, my brother done it and he couldn't be further from the building trade.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Howdens on 11:19 - Jul 19 with 1683 viewsjackmorsel

I've got an account, not a builder myself, but manage a couple of properties, I used them for a few things in my house, I got roughly 80% discount of their "retail trade price", yes it's a bit of stupid system to allow the trade to make their margin but I find it pretty pointless system as the retail trade price is ridiculous.

However I found that lowest price in on par with most other building/kitchen suppliers if you go and haggle. I'm sure if you are spending serious money you would probably get it at close to cost + a few %.

All these companies are desperate for business. As others have said, go in and open an account, tell them your self employed and ask for a quote on what you are after, the quote will detail the discount, if your not happy with it keep asking for a better price or get a check price from another supplier and they will match it, worked for me every time.

Have found their customer service is second to none, had a couple of small marks on some doors I had delivered and they changed them with no questions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024