Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching the game with learning difficulties 09:03 - Jul 24 with 9283 viewscsf

My wife and I currently look after an adult with learning needs, ADHD, mild Autism etc. She is desperate to come with me to a few games this season, probably more to do with spending time with me than the football. I'm a bit wary of how she will cope in the stadium. So as a tester, I'm taking her with me to the Atalanta game on the Saturday. Anyone have much experience taking others with needs to matches? Any tips to make it as stess free as possible for her?

Only things i've thought of so far is getting some seats that are in a bit of space as opposed to right in the middle of a load of people. (Not that I can do that when the season comes)
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:04 - Jul 24 with 7551 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The club had an opportunity to install a sensory room for people like the adult you care for. They declined to do so.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:09 - Jul 24 with 7541 viewsNotLoyal

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:04 - Jul 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

The club had an opportunity to install a sensory room for people like the adult you care for. They declined to do so.

Very positive Dwight ...
Jeez your an optimist.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:36 - Jul 24 with 7484 viewsFireboy2

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:04 - Jul 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

The guy asked for some advice.

FFS you dont yourself any favours do you.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:47 - Jul 24 with 7466 views3swan

The club has a supporter liaison officer who may be able to answer any questions you have. support@swanseacity.com
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 10:08 - Jul 24 with 7442 viewsBadlands

From structured dialogue. 26/6/19
Would the club consider ‘quiet hour’ for autistic and disabled supporters, who would benefit from avoiding the ‘hustle and bustle’ of crowds?

Catherine Thomas commented that since the question has been submitted, she has made some enquiries internally and through Mark Phillips (Disability Officer) and Andrea Morris (Head of Retail) have agreed to consider a ‘quiet hour’ on Saturday morning. It was discussed and agreed that this should go through the Disabled Supporters Association (DSA) for agenda and further discussion before being confirmed.

You have highlighted a difficulty for clubs, in that a football match is a high intensity / emotional and changing environment - part of the attraction.
Not knowing the person it's hard to know how they will react.
I know someone with Down Syndrome who has held a ST in the East (upper Centre) Stand since we moved to the Liberty. Loves it and no one minds a hug when we score!
Get in touch with Mark Phillips.
Going to the Atalanta game is a great idea.
Good luck

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 10:24 - Jul 24 with 7423 views3swan

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:47 - Jul 24 by 3swan

The club has a supporter liaison officer who may be able to answer any questions you have. support@swanseacity.com

Or have a read of this.

Worth a try contacting

https://www.swanseacity.com/fans/disabled-supporters
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 10:44 - Jul 24 with 7388 viewsLeonWasGod

It sounds like somehow getting in a box would be a good plan. No idea if there's an option to do that though (other than by paying a fortune).

Atalanta is an ideal opportunity to try - good luck, hope she enjoys.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:01 - Jul 24 with 7373 views3swan

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 10:44 - Jul 24 by LeonWasGod

It sounds like somehow getting in a box would be a good plan. No idea if there's an option to do that though (other than by paying a fortune).

Atalanta is an ideal opportunity to try - good luck, hope she enjoys.

Depending on how they allocate them maybe the seating area for disabled fans.

Even if not covered by the match day criteria they may not be all sold out so still worth asking.

Good luck and I hope all enjoy the game
Login to get fewer ads

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:08 - Jul 24 with 7361 viewslondonlisa2001

Csf - the club now have facilities to help supporters who have the type of challenges you mention.

Please see this article for some information and contact the club to discuss:

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swans-secure-funding-sensory-equipment

Dwight - perhaps you could occasionally stop being such a spiteful little sh*t when people are asking for advice?
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:21 - Jul 24 with 7323 viewsDarran

Come and sit next to me it’ll be quiet.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:30 - Jul 24 with 7310 viewscsf

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:21 - Jul 24 by Darran

Come and sit next to me it’ll be quiet.

Are you going to the game mate? Chose seats in the west stand, so thought I'd pop down and say hello
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:51 - Jul 24 with 7283 viewscsf

Thanks to all for your replies and the helpful advice. I bought the tickets earlier, quiet part of the west stand a bit out of the way so we shall see how things go.

I don't really want to comment on wha DYSS said. But I probably will anyway. I saw going back a few years how vocal he was about the sensory room etc and i think that was a good thing. But I don't know what he was trying to achieve by pointing it out on the back of my question in 2019 a few years later. That has been and gone, no point in ill feeling being created just for the sake of it.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:03 - Jul 24 with 7262 viewsBobblehat

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:51 - Jul 24 by csf

Thanks to all for your replies and the helpful advice. I bought the tickets earlier, quiet part of the west stand a bit out of the way so we shall see how things go.

I don't really want to comment on wha DYSS said. But I probably will anyway. I saw going back a few years how vocal he was about the sensory room etc and i think that was a good thing. But I don't know what he was trying to achieve by pointing it out on the back of my question in 2019 a few years later. That has been and gone, no point in ill feeling being created just for the sake of it.

Take ear defender's incase it gets a little to loud around you.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:08 - Jul 24 with 7255 viewsFireboy2

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:30 - Jul 24 by csf

Are you going to the game mate? Chose seats in the west stand, so thought I'd pop down and say hello

No no and thrice no csf, dont do it.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:36 - Jul 24 with 7233 viewscsf

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:08 - Jul 24 by Fireboy2

No no and thrice no csf, dont do it.

Everybody seems to have an opinion on good ole Darran. Mine is he's sound as a pound!!
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:41 - Jul 24 with 7223 viewsGlyn1

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:36 - Jul 24 by csf

Everybody seems to have an opinion on good ole Darran. Mine is he's sound as a pound!!

Steady on now. That's a bit harsh.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:51 - Jul 24 with 7207 viewsDarran

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 11:30 - Jul 24 by csf

I haven’t bought tickets yet but I’m hoping to go.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 14:58 - Jul 24 with 7133 viewspantyjack

I’m taking my two children down sat as well they both have server learning difficulties etc. Took them both down to seperate games last season my daughter lasted till kick off then wanted to leave as it was to much for her , what with the noise, all the people walking around outside. Took my son to the millwall game he was more Interested in the police than the football 😢 he lasted 5 min into the game. Few mistakes I made was on both occasions we got there to early , they lost interest. We sat in the west stand and I never realised how loud the tannoy system was in the Liberty, so got ear defenders for my daughter this time., and I’ll probanly go onto ground about 15:05 just so everything has calmed down a bit, easier for them both to process the occasion. It’s a long process but if we can stay for 20mins this time I’ll be happy, then build on that through the season would be my best advis. I’ll be the on walking around the concourse in the west stand with my daughter in her pushchair, my dad took me down to my first game in 1983 so my children WILL like the swans 😂
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 15:57 - Jul 24 with 7082 viewsSwansea_Viking

I'm afraid your response gives a completely wrong impression of the club and its relationship with disabled supporters.
The club has been working hard behind the scenes and year on year conditions are improving with more and more services and options becoming available.
I set up the Disabled Supporters Association in 2013 and worked with the club on a number of things including the changing places facilities etc. The Swans were looked upon as one of the go to clubs with regard to approach to disabled issues in the Premier League.
Yes, there are things that can be improved but a glib, uninformed answer such as yours is an insult to those at the club and the DSA who work hard for disabled supporters.
Kindly avoid putting such attention seeking answers in the future.
Thank you.

You Stupid Boy!

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 16:26 - Jul 24 with 7059 viewsThrasher6

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 14:58 - Jul 24 by pantyjack

I’m taking my two children down sat as well they both have server learning difficulties etc. Took them both down to seperate games last season my daughter lasted till kick off then wanted to leave as it was to much for her , what with the noise, all the people walking around outside. Took my son to the millwall game he was more Interested in the police than the football 😢 he lasted 5 min into the game. Few mistakes I made was on both occasions we got there to early , they lost interest. We sat in the west stand and I never realised how loud the tannoy system was in the Liberty, so got ear defenders for my daughter this time., and I’ll probanly go onto ground about 15:05 just so everything has calmed down a bit, easier for them both to process the occasion. It’s a long process but if we can stay for 20mins this time I’ll be happy, then build on that through the season would be my best advis. I’ll be the on walking around the concourse in the west stand with my daughter in her pushchair, my dad took me down to my first game in 1983 so my children WILL like the swans 😂

Good on you for the effort you made....look we are all supporters...there's no entry fee (to being a Jack)...just turn up...actually one of the freedoms that makes supporting a club worthwhile. Turn up...mix...enjoy the game...the moment. And we all go out of the stadium together win or lose...and go again. Welcome to the fold...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 16:45 - Jul 24 with 7037 viewslondonlisa2001

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 14:58 - Jul 24 by pantyjack

Pantyjack - it’s worth contacting the club about the facilities that are now available to help supporters like your kids who find the match day atmosphere challenging for them.

I hope you saw that the club shop was opened for a quiet hour last week as well. I’m sure that will be repeated.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 16:54 - Jul 24 with 7025 viewsFireboy2

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 15:57 - Jul 24 by Swansea_Viking

I'm afraid your response gives a completely wrong impression of the club and its relationship with disabled supporters.
The club has been working hard behind the scenes and year on year conditions are improving with more and more services and options becoming available.
I set up the Disabled Supporters Association in 2013 and worked with the club on a number of things including the changing places facilities etc. The Swans were looked upon as one of the go to clubs with regard to approach to disabled issues in the Premier League.
Yes, there are things that can be improved but a glib, uninformed answer such as yours is an insult to those at the club and the DSA who work hard for disabled supporters.
Kindly avoid putting such attention seeking answers in the future.
Thank you.

Good to know SV.

i wonder what dwight will say to that.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 17:32 - Jul 24 with 6988 viewsjackthepeg

They should have a nonsensory room just for you
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 18:55 - Jul 24 with 6925 viewsBadlands

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 17:32 - Jul 24 by jackthepeg

They should have a nonsensory room just for you

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 19:01 - Jul 24 with 6913 viewsjack_lord

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 12:51 - Jul 24 by Darran

I haven’t bought tickets yet but I’m hoping to go.

Remember to buy them online, only £1.25 per ticket charge.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024