Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Change in Formation? 05:01 - Oct 6 with 436 viewsTimTtam

We have played in the 4-2-3-1 formation in every game this season, including EFL Cup. It might be time for a change.

Grimes and Fulton are physically weak and have lost the midfield battle almost every time I have watched us play. If you lose the midfield battle, you can't gain possession, and can't go forward with enough intent. Our players weren't going forward with passes because they were worried that they would give the ball away.

The first thing we need to try is a change in formation. Maybe that will do the trick.
We had 3 midfielders in Dhanda, Fulton, and Grimes.
Stoke had 4 midfielders in Etebo, Clucas, Allen, and Ndiaye - L
Charlton had 3 midfielders - W
Reading had 5 midfielders/wingers in a 3-5-2 formation - D
Watford had 4 midfielders - L
Bristol had 5 midfielders/wingers in a 3-5-2 formation - D
We need to try changing to a formation which allows us to have more midfielders on the park. That would hopefully eliminate so many of our giveaways, if we had more support.

Looking at Stoke's 4-1-2-1-2 formation, that would be perfect if Cooper is so hell bent on playing narrow. Another option is a 3-3-3-1 formation. I thought about it a while ago, but didn't realise it had been used before (by Bielsa).

The 3—3—3—1 system is a very attacking formation and its compact nature is ideally suited for midfield domination and ball possession. It means a coach can field more attacking players and add extra strength through the spine of the team.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024