Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crazy Championship 13:06 - Oct 7 with 2189 viewsNWSwans

Before I start, I will say the performance on Sat was unacceptable but not the result

Charlton drew away at Fulham (leading twice)
We won away at Charlton, who had just won at home to Leeds, and drawn with Forest
Birmingham won away at Charlton, who we battered 3-0
We missed a chance to go top with a draw with Reading, who got beat 1-4 by Fulham

We play Barnsley next, who have both beaten Fulham and been beaten 5-1 by Preston

I'm sure there will be plenty of examples of this, but we are in a league in which everyone really can beat everyone. Sat 4th, I do not see the need for panic just yet.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 13:07]
Crazy Championship on 13:10 - Oct 7 with 2165 viewsoldcob

Simple explanation for last Saturday. Stoke came and roughed us up and our lads couldn't, or didn't have the bottle to cope with it.
Crazy Championship on 13:12 - Oct 7 with 2157 viewslegoman

Your logic can't be argued with of course, but for me it was the manner of our showing at the weekend which I say was simply unacceptable.

Whether due to a lack of effort, or organisation and planning we could argue till the cows come home but for sportsmen who, even at championship level, earn eye watering sums of money, I'm not sure but it clearly needs sorting.

#celinaisntawinger

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Crazy Championship on 13:17 - Oct 7 with 2148 viewsNWSwans

Crazy Championship on 13:12 - Oct 7 by legoman

Your logic can't be argued with of course, but for me it was the manner of our showing at the weekend which I say was simply unacceptable.

Whether due to a lack of effort, or organisation and planning we could argue till the cows come home but for sportsmen who, even at championship level, earn eye watering sums of money, I'm not sure but it clearly needs sorting.

#celinaisntawinger

For me, Celina isn't a winger either, but Charlton fans were purring after him on Wednesday night.

What surprised me most on Saturday were the amount of misplaced passes, both VDH and Woodman (still pulled of some great saves) I felt were guilty of this, (not singling out as the whole team were guilty)

Lack of concentration and determination will cost us in this league, showed on Saturday
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 13:17]
Crazy Championship on 13:31 - Oct 7 with 2119 viewsThornburyswan

Crazy Championship on 13:17 - Oct 7 by NWSwans

For me, Celina isn't a winger either, but Charlton fans were purring after him on Wednesday night.

What surprised me most on Saturday were the amount of misplaced passes, both VDH and Woodman (still pulled of some great saves) I felt were guilty of this, (not singling out as the whole team were guilty)

Lack of concentration and determination will cost us in this league, showed on Saturday
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 13:17]

Our style of possession based tipi-tapi, generally 10/15 yard passes often in tight areas requires all our team to be on form (or at least close to it) - usually need at least 7/8 of our players at ‘7.5 out of 10 or better’ plus we need to take our chances . . . . . . . as soon as we drop off that level (or don’t take our chances) we become vulnerable to an opponent who are willing to roll their sleeves up & put a shift in.

So far Cooper has done a great job but to date has not evidenced he can change a team/formation during a match either tactically or from a pure motivational perspective, so once Stoke started to see/believe there plan was working it gave them the passion/belief & we in response did little to counter.

Some tough games coming up against teams who care little about possession/style & far more about the result so he will need to either evidence some tactical flexibility or we will slowly fade towards mid-table mediocrity.
Crazy Championship on 13:46 - Oct 7 with 2089 viewsNWSwans

Crazy Championship on 13:31 - Oct 7 by Thornburyswan

Our style of possession based tipi-tapi, generally 10/15 yard passes often in tight areas requires all our team to be on form (or at least close to it) - usually need at least 7/8 of our players at ‘7.5 out of 10 or better’ plus we need to take our chances . . . . . . . as soon as we drop off that level (or don’t take our chances) we become vulnerable to an opponent who are willing to roll their sleeves up & put a shift in.

So far Cooper has done a great job but to date has not evidenced he can change a team/formation during a match either tactically or from a pure motivational perspective, so once Stoke started to see/believe there plan was working it gave them the passion/belief & we in response did little to counter.

Some tough games coming up against teams who care little about possession/style & far more about the result so he will need to either evidence some tactical flexibility or we will slowly fade towards mid-table mediocrity.

Agreed

Stoke were pressuring and then play with the ball 40 yard from our goal due to us kicking into touch everytime, only so many times Woodman can keep the ball out
Crazy Championship on 13:57 - Oct 7 with 2074 viewscontroversial_jack

The championship is no more unpredictable than the premier league
Crazy Championship on 14:25 - Oct 7 with 2035 viewsBadlands

Crazy Championship on 13:10 - Oct 7 by oldcob

Simple explanation for last Saturday. Stoke came and roughed us up and our lads couldn't, or didn't have the bottle to cope with it.

But we were just as poor against Forest and Reading so I can not accept the excuse that Stoke bullied us into ineptitude.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Crazy Championship on 14:28 - Oct 7 with 2027 viewsTimTtam

Crazy Championship on 13:57 - Oct 7 by controversial_jack

The championship is no more unpredictable than the premier league

There have been 2 unpredictable PL seasons. When Blackburn won it, and when Leicester won it.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Login to get fewer ads

Crazy Championship on 15:04 - Oct 7 with 1992 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Crazy Championship on 14:25 - Oct 7 by Badlands

But we were just as poor against Forest and Reading so I can not accept the excuse that Stoke bullied us into ineptitude.

Indeed

It’s the system
Teams have sussed us out , stop grimes having the ball .
Leave the right back have it because he’s not got anyone to give it too

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Crazy Championship on 15:49 - Oct 7 with 1959 viewsLeonWasGod

Not just that. Last year we'd have relished a team coming to the Liberty and trying a high press. We seem to have lost the knack of being able to play through that now. Something's not clicking.
Crazy Championship on 15:58 - Oct 7 with 1953 viewsmonmouth

Crazy Championship on 15:49 - Oct 7 by LeonWasGod

Not just that. Last year we'd have relished a team coming to the Liberty and trying a high press. We seem to have lost the knack of being able to play through that now. Something's not clicking.

No one's making any space in the midfield and Woodman keeps following the script and passing within his own penalty area or hoofing long (pointless). More players need to be available instead of hiding and Woodman, the fullbacks, Ayew and Celina need to practice the chip to the player in space beyond the press. If we keep doing what we are doing we will keep messing it up. need to keep the opposition guessing.

Stoke didn't bully us at all. They out-thought and out played us. Our player did lose every challenge even when they were favourite to win it but that was not down to any over aggressiveness from Stoke. They simply wanted it more. I hate them, but they impressed me with their attitude, desire and quality on Saturday while, that day at least, we lacked the lot.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Crazy Championship on 16:08 - Oct 7 with 1944 viewscontroversial_jack

Crazy Championship on 14:28 - Oct 7 by TimTtam

There have been 2 unpredictable PL seasons. When Blackburn won it, and when Leicester won it.

It's throwing up a few surprises so far this season, although it's early days for both leagues
Crazy Championship on 16:25 - Oct 7 with 1922 viewsjack247

I think you’re possibly judging Stoke by their reputation there? I didn’t see much roughing up. They just pressed us high and forced mistakes. Slightly lucky to get a winner that late, but they outplayed us.
Crazy Championship on 20:33 - Oct 7 with 1802 viewswestwalesed

Crazy Championship on 15:58 - Oct 7 by monmouth

No one's making any space in the midfield and Woodman keeps following the script and passing within his own penalty area or hoofing long (pointless). More players need to be available instead of hiding and Woodman, the fullbacks, Ayew and Celina need to practice the chip to the player in space beyond the press. If we keep doing what we are doing we will keep messing it up. need to keep the opposition guessing.

Stoke didn't bully us at all. They out-thought and out played us. Our player did lose every challenge even when they were favourite to win it but that was not down to any over aggressiveness from Stoke. They simply wanted it more. I hate them, but they impressed me with their attitude, desire and quality on Saturday while, that day at least, we lacked the lot.

Perfect summary.

I’ve never liked Stoke but they were very, very impressive on Saturday. They’ve got one of if not the best squad in the league.

They’re 66/1 to go up, just saying!
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 20:35]

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Crazy Championship on 21:10 - Oct 7 with 1744 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Crazy Championship on 14:28 - Oct 7 by TimTtam

This season the PL has started wierd again, Spurs, Arsenal, Man U not playing at all well and even Man C getting beaten 2:0.
Plus Everton down in 18th.
Crazy Championship on 07:52 - Oct 8 with 1559 viewsTimTtam

Crazy Championship on 16:08 - Oct 7 by controversial_jack

It's throwing up a few surprises so far this season, although it's early days for both leagues

That's true. But last season Man U started badly, yet comfortably finished 6th. I expect Man U and Tottenham to make the top 7 easily though. Leicester may be able to get automatic Europa qualification this season.

Generally though, the top 6 is set. The only things I find interesting in the PL are the battle for 7th, and the relegation battle.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Crazy Championship on 20:12 - Oct 8 with 1387 viewsSPboy

Crazy Championship on 15:49 - Oct 7 by LeonWasGod

The reason that we can’t relish playing through the press is that we have no pace or outlet. Last season we relished it because everyone knew what Dan James was capable of given a one on one situation.

With regards some of the other comments, I didn’t witness any bullying or roughing up. Just a team determined & focussed on their pretty basic game plan. There was aggression in their play but it was positive controlled aggression with a purpose, not the Stoke of past years. Our players couldn’t cope with it. When we needed to change our gameplan there was no leadership neither on the field or from the coaches
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024