Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... 09:14 - Dec 19 with 1345 viewstheloneranger

Terminally Ill - More money: 74 ... Less: 1292 ... Nothing: 641

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dwp-how-thousands-arthritis-ms-21122749

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 09:30 - Dec 19 with 1328 viewsjojaca

A week late with these stories. Just take the pain and come back in 5 years time.

Even when you know, you never know?

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 09:54 - Dec 19 with 1302 viewsCatullus

Yep, it's how the outsourced assessments go and why most win their appeals, otr used to unless it's changed.
I was medically retied 8 years ago and I went through a period of financial hardship. In 2014 someone asked if I'd applied for PIP, I hadn't so I did and was awarded the lower rate in living and mobility allowance. 2 years ago, my health having worsened, finding it harder and having been diagnosed with another serious problem (Non alcoholic steatohepatitis, liver disease) I informed the DWP that my condition had changed (they tell you it's a requirement to do so) and they sent an assessor out.
She did all the usual tests, asked the questions and then I told her I was worried that they'd cut my money becuse I'd seen a lot of similar stories on the news. She told me, in her opinion, I had nothing to worry about because I was obviously worse.

6 weeks later they cut my benefits.

This isn't new, it's been ongoing for several years and it's been on the national news plenty of times. The government promised changes and to be fair they did make changes. Is it better now? Hardly.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 10:45 - Dec 19 with 1266 viewss1ackjack

The contractors carrying out the assessments are paid largely by results. The results being reducing the numbers on benefits. Shocking system!

The real slackjack .... beware of imposters! They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ......... Enough said!

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 11:03 - Dec 19 with 1255 viewstheloneranger

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 10:45 - Dec 19 by s1ackjack

The contractors carrying out the assessments are paid largely by results. The results being reducing the numbers on benefits. Shocking system!

In a leaked letter dated 16 May 2017, Atos staff were told:

“Over the last few months we’ve been focusing on delivering an outstanding claimant experience by processing cases efficiently, and when we can, seeing more claimants during the day or at weekends. For many of you this has meant time away from your family and friends, which isn’t easy.

“With this in mind I wanted to tell you how we’ve done and share the great news that so far we’ve set out what we planned to do [sic]. We’ve seen an extra 3054 claimants in March, and a whopping 4454 claimants in April. This is all down to you. Thanks so much for your support during the last few months, you’ve really come through, proving what it means to be a team player.

“So that we don’t undo all of your good work, we’re extending incentives into May and June. If you’re interested in working overtime please get in touch with your Service Delivery Manager. Here’s a reminder of what’s on offer:

“If you’re a health professional

The additional £75 Fee per Case (FPC) will remain for every assessment completed. Plus you’ll receive an additional £50 for any assessment you do above four, within an Assessment Centre session, and three within a Home Consultation session.”

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 11:58 - Dec 19 with 1222 viewsJimmyGilligan

Posted this before, but anyone going through these processes go to this website and buy their guide(s). Knowing what I know now, I would happily pay double for it; their guides and advice are worth their weight in gold.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk
DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 12:59 - Dec 19 with 1178 viewsBryanSwan

The cuts to the money disabled people receive are disgraceful, they are made to live on a pittance and have to prove all ways their disability.
I would love to see any of the politicians who are/have voted for cuts on these allowances to live on the income of the people who's money they consistently cut.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:10 - Dec 19 with 1166 viewsBest_loser

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 12:59 - Dec 19 by BryanSwan

The cuts to the money disabled people receive are disgraceful, they are made to live on a pittance and have to prove all ways their disability.
I would love to see any of the politicians who are/have voted for cuts on these allowances to live on the income of the people who's money they consistently cut.

That's Tories for you

Banks go bust, bailed out

Then make the disabled and poor pay for it
DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:15 - Dec 19 with 1162 viewsBryanSwan

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:10 - Dec 19 by Best_loser

That's Tories for you

Banks go bust, bailed out

Then make the disabled and poor pay for it

Don't get me wrong improvements definitely need to be made to the benefits system as a whole.
DLA/PIP is ridiculously hard to claim and you have to pass numerous stringent tests to get anything.
JSA you can just tip up and it is handed to you, don't even have to look for a job if you didnt want to. (Obviously not all people are like that, but it has to be more stringent to weed out the ones milking the system)

Login to get fewer ads

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:20 - Dec 19 with 1155 viewsJimmyGilligan

JSA hasn't been a thing for years, its Universal Credit and they make you look for work, although i'm sure there are ways around it that people have found.
DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:22 - Dec 19 with 1154 viewsLeonWasGod

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 09:54 - Dec 19 by Catullus

Yep, it's how the outsourced assessments go and why most win their appeals, otr used to unless it's changed.
I was medically retied 8 years ago and I went through a period of financial hardship. In 2014 someone asked if I'd applied for PIP, I hadn't so I did and was awarded the lower rate in living and mobility allowance. 2 years ago, my health having worsened, finding it harder and having been diagnosed with another serious problem (Non alcoholic steatohepatitis, liver disease) I informed the DWP that my condition had changed (they tell you it's a requirement to do so) and they sent an assessor out.
She did all the usual tests, asked the questions and then I told her I was worried that they'd cut my money becuse I'd seen a lot of similar stories on the news. She told me, in her opinion, I had nothing to worry about because I was obviously worse.

6 weeks later they cut my benefits.

This isn't new, it's been ongoing for several years and it's been on the national news plenty of times. The government promised changes and to be fair they did make changes. Is it better now? Hardly.

I take stories in the tabloids with a pinch of salt, as I've no idea of the details behind the headline numbers. But in DWP's case over the last few years, I've seen nothing to suggest they aren't anything but evil.
DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:35 - Dec 19 with 1141 viewsBryanSwan

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:20 - Dec 19 by JimmyGilligan

JSA hasn't been a thing for years, its Universal Credit and they make you look for work, although i'm sure there are ways around it that people have found.

Was only completely phased out this year & for people out of work and actually looking to get back into work it is great.
The problem is you have the ones who can't be bothered and see it as free money for doing nothing.
If you are not disabled or legitimately looking for work then why should the state support your chosen lifestyle?

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:52 - Dec 19 with 1127 viewsJimmyGilligan

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:35 - Dec 19 by BryanSwan

Was only completely phased out this year & for people out of work and actually looking to get back into work it is great.
The problem is you have the ones who can't be bothered and see it as free money for doing nothing.
If you are not disabled or legitimately looking for work then why should the state support your chosen lifestyle?

I don't think it is quite as simple as getting free money, at least that's the impression I got when I was laid off, before they declared me unfit for work. Had to go to regular meetings and show you were looking, they can make you do courses and they can cut you off for not complying.
Personally speaking I found them to be very accommodating nice people, and the whole process quite smooth, they didn't pressure me into anything and even let me have the regular meetings over the phone after a couple of times going down there. Although it is patently obvious I am disabled.
DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 14:16 - Dec 19 with 1113 viewsBryanSwan

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 13:52 - Dec 19 by JimmyGilligan

I don't think it is quite as simple as getting free money, at least that's the impression I got when I was laid off, before they declared me unfit for work. Had to go to regular meetings and show you were looking, they can make you do courses and they can cut you off for not complying.
Personally speaking I found them to be very accommodating nice people, and the whole process quite smooth, they didn't pressure me into anything and even let me have the regular meetings over the phone after a couple of times going down there. Although it is patently obvious I am disabled.

That was the impression i had of the process a few years back, thankfully it wasn't for long as i couldn't stand it.
There were a number in theres who upon completion of their appointment were swiftly across the road and into bargain booze.
But like I've said that is not everyone and many will end up out of a job at some point through no fault of their own.

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 15:13 - Dec 19 with 1073 viewsblackswan

Eighty per cent who appeal are winning their cases with a cost of around 2500 for the court judge doctor and dwp staff it's disgusting that disabled people are made to feel like criminals tory chunts
DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 15:48 - Dec 19 with 1043 viewstheloneranger

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 15:13 - Dec 19 by blackswan

Eighty per cent who appeal are winning their cases with a cost of around 2500 for the court judge doctor and dwp staff it's disgusting that disabled people are made to feel like criminals tory chunts

24 September 2019

Disability Rights UK ...

"MoJ figures from the last decade shows that the proportion of tribunal appeals that found in favour of DLA claimants was just 38 per cent in 2010/2011, the first year of the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition.

But in every year since then that success rate has increased, to 40 per cent in 2011/2012, 41 per cent in 2012/2013, then to 42 per cent, 49 per cent, 56 per cent, 58 per cent, 60 per cent, and finally 66 per cent in 20182/019.

Meanwhile, the rate of tribunal success for claimants of PIP, which was introduced in 2013 to gradually replace DLA for working-age claimants, has risen from 26 per cent in 2013/2014, to 50 per cent in 2014/2015, to 61 per cent the following year, and then to 65 per cent in 2015/2016 and 68 per cent in 2017/18.

The latest figures released by MoJ this month show that 73 per cent of PIP claimants in 2018/2019 saw their PIP appeal upheld by a tribunal.

This is almost twice the rate of success of DLA claimants in 2010-11.

Figures for the latest quarter — April to June 2019 — show the PIP rate of overturn has continued to climb even further, and has now reached 75 per cent, the same as the rate for employment and support allowance, the out-of-work

“DWP has repeatedly tried to argue that only about four or five per cent of all PIP claims are eventually appealed successfully.

But many rejected claimants do not challenge the benefit decision handed to them by DWP, with DWP’s own research — published last autumn — showing that hundreds of thousands more claimants would have taken further steps to challenge the results of their claims if the system was less stressful and more accessible.

The rate of success is also far higher for appeals against PIP claims that have been completely rejected, revealing earlier this year that one in seven (14 per cent) of all rejected PIP claims is eventually overturned, either at the mandatory reconsideration stage — where DWP civil servants review decisions, if requested — or at tribunal.”

Ken Butler DR UK’s Welfare Rights and Policy Adviser said:

“Undoubtedly a major contributor to the success of PIP appeals is the low standard of Atos and Capita Health Care Professional assessments and the lack of proper consideration given to disabled peoples’ own oral and written evidence.

The DWP should take proper account of disabled people’s evidence at the mandatory reconsideration stage.

That disabled people are having to wait several months or longer for justice at an independent tribunal is causing unnecessary stress as well as unjustified financial hardship.”
[Post edited 19 Dec 2019 15:51]

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 16:59 - Dec 19 with 998 viewsCatullus

DWP: How thousands with arthritis, MS and psychosis have lost benefits ... on 15:48 - Dec 19 by theloneranger

24 September 2019

Disability Rights UK ...

"MoJ figures from the last decade shows that the proportion of tribunal appeals that found in favour of DLA claimants was just 38 per cent in 2010/2011, the first year of the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition.

But in every year since then that success rate has increased, to 40 per cent in 2011/2012, 41 per cent in 2012/2013, then to 42 per cent, 49 per cent, 56 per cent, 58 per cent, 60 per cent, and finally 66 per cent in 20182/019.

Meanwhile, the rate of tribunal success for claimants of PIP, which was introduced in 2013 to gradually replace DLA for working-age claimants, has risen from 26 per cent in 2013/2014, to 50 per cent in 2014/2015, to 61 per cent the following year, and then to 65 per cent in 2015/2016 and 68 per cent in 2017/18.

The latest figures released by MoJ this month show that 73 per cent of PIP claimants in 2018/2019 saw their PIP appeal upheld by a tribunal.

This is almost twice the rate of success of DLA claimants in 2010-11.

Figures for the latest quarter — April to June 2019 — show the PIP rate of overturn has continued to climb even further, and has now reached 75 per cent, the same as the rate for employment and support allowance, the out-of-work

“DWP has repeatedly tried to argue that only about four or five per cent of all PIP claims are eventually appealed successfully.

But many rejected claimants do not challenge the benefit decision handed to them by DWP, with DWP’s own research — published last autumn — showing that hundreds of thousands more claimants would have taken further steps to challenge the results of their claims if the system was less stressful and more accessible.

The rate of success is also far higher for appeals against PIP claims that have been completely rejected, revealing earlier this year that one in seven (14 per cent) of all rejected PIP claims is eventually overturned, either at the mandatory reconsideration stage — where DWP civil servants review decisions, if requested — or at tribunal.”

Ken Butler DR UK’s Welfare Rights and Policy Adviser said:

“Undoubtedly a major contributor to the success of PIP appeals is the low standard of Atos and Capita Health Care Professional assessments and the lack of proper consideration given to disabled peoples’ own oral and written evidence.

The DWP should take proper account of disabled people’s evidence at the mandatory reconsideration stage.

That disabled people are having to wait several months or longer for justice at an independent tribunal is causing unnecessary stress as well as unjustified financial hardship.”
[Post edited 19 Dec 2019 15:51]

Those figures raise an obvious question or two. If assessors are getting bonuses for all they refuse benefits to but most of those people win on appeal and the various court cases cost £2500, isn't it a false economy?
Everyone who wins their appeal has their money backdated so add that to the assessors bonus and the legal costs and put it up against the money actually saved.

It might be cheaper to just do the job properly.

The DWP told me there was no evidence to support some of my medical claims yet it's all in my medical records. Somebody is lying and I should have appealed, we live and learn.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024