Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Abolish the Lords! 14:44 - Dec 16 with 770 viewsCatullus

As if we needed any more reasons to get rid of the unelected political placing shenanigans that is the House of Lords, news today that Ed Davey has noinated Jo Swinson for a peerage and he wants her back in Parliament as soon as possible.

So this utter failure who got a good kicking at the ballot box, who stood on a 'b0ll0cks to brexit' manifesto could get a peerage.

What has she done to deserve this elevation? Davey went on to say the Libdems will still fight brexit at every opportunity.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Abolish the Lords! on 14:57 - Dec 16 with 752 viewsLeonWasGod

What have half of them done? Cameron rammed it with cronies who'd bunged him a few quid. They all do. At least Swinson understands political process.
Abolish the Lords! on 15:03 - Dec 16 with 745 viewsHighjack

Abolish the Lords! on 14:57 - Dec 16 by LeonWasGod

What have half of them done? Cameron rammed it with cronies who'd bunged him a few quid. They all do. At least Swinson understands political process.

Swinson doesn’t even understand the concept of a winning vote being honoured. Maybe the undemocratic, unelected chamber will be the best place for her. Perhaps Baroness Benjamin will let her honk the horn on the Playbus if she’s a good girl.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Abolish the Lords! on 16:06 - Dec 16 with 682 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Abolish the Lords! on 14:57 - Dec 16 by LeonWasGod

Blair and brown made hundreds of their cronies lords just so labour had a majority in the Lords.

It is time the Lords was reformed limiting to 600 voting members with no new appointees until somebody retires.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Abolish the Lords! on 16:13 - Dec 16 with 670 viewswestwalesed

It's really hard to justify the Lords in 2019.

However, I do think the fact that they are not subject to the whims of the electorate should ensure some form of Independence of thought? Real objective scrutiny of legislation rather than what is politically expedient?

However I am a firm believer in Democratic accountability so I don't know how I square that circle.

Perhaps if they all sat as Independents? And were appointed by a board of former Lords rather than the Government? I have no idea really.

If we had an elected Upper Chamber wouldn't it just be the Commons on steroids?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Abolish the Lords! on 16:42 - Dec 16 with 650 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Abolish the Lords! on 16:13 - Dec 16 by westwalesed

It's really hard to justify the Lords in 2019.

However, I do think the fact that they are not subject to the whims of the electorate should ensure some form of Independence of thought? Real objective scrutiny of legislation rather than what is politically expedient?

However I am a firm believer in Democratic accountability so I don't know how I square that circle.

Perhaps if they all sat as Independents? And were appointed by a board of former Lords rather than the Government? I have no idea really.

If we had an elected Upper Chamber wouldn't it just be the Commons on steroids?

It could be done say 250 elected using proportional representation and the other 250 elected by the current nearly 800 lords members.

The 250 elected would have to paid a limited salary £50,000 with modest expenses.

Should be able to pay that by only paying the daily attendance allowance 300 per day to the 250 elected lords not the current 800.

Abolish the Lords! on 16:44 - Dec 16 with 646 viewsHighjack

Why a load of bishops get seats in the 21st century is beyond me too.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Abolish the Lords! on 16:46 - Dec 16 with 643 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Abolish the Lords! on 16:44 - Dec 16 by Highjack

It keeps them out of the pulpits on Sunday.

Abolish the Lords! on 16:53 - Dec 16 with 633 viewsVincent_Vega

Abolish the Lords! on 16:46 - Dec 16 by felixstowe_jack

It keeps them out of the pulpits on Sunday.

You mean the pulpits that attend Sunday school?

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Login to get fewer ads

Abolish the Lords! on 17:52 - Dec 16 with 604 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Emily Bishop would do a fine job in the Lords.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Abolish the Lords! on 19:10 - Dec 16 with 548 viewsLeonWasGod

Abolish the Lords! on 15:03 - Dec 16 by Highjack

Swinson doesn’t even understand the concept of a winning vote being honoured. Maybe the undemocratic, unelected chamber will be the best place for her. Perhaps Baroness Benjamin will let her honk the horn on the Playbus if she’s a good girl.

That’s a bit daft. You can’t stop people campaigning for an alternative m, otherwise you’d never have an opposition.

Yes Lords are unelected, but that’s normal. I agree they should be limited in number and their appointments tightened up to reduce cronyism.

We’re also getting an government minister who’s not elected...
Abolish the Lords! on 20:44 - Dec 16 with 514 viewsBrynmill_Jack

What IS it with your lot and the Lib Dems??

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Abolish the Lords! on 20:49 - Dec 16 with 509 viewscentrestandswan

Hey stop bashing the bishops 😉

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024