Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance 12:13 - Aug 9 with 870 viewsCountyJim

Is it me or is this a recent thing I grew up in 70s 80s I never heard of these things in those times 🤔

Strange times
Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 12:36 - Aug 9 with 834 viewsCatullus

Just because you hadn't heard of them it doesn't mean they weren't there.

Go back a several hundred years and tell people that there were billions of micro-organisms in their food and drink, and living on their bodies and they'd have told the local priest who'd have you charged with Heresy.

They didn know about them but they were always there.

In the 16th century people hadn't heard of dinosaurs, viruses and indeed until 1610 people new nothing of the Universe, it was all about little old us! But they were always there.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 17:18 - Aug 9 with 783 viewsunion_jack

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 12:36 - Aug 9 by Catullus

Just because you hadn't heard of them it doesn't mean they weren't there.

Go back a several hundred years and tell people that there were billions of micro-organisms in their food and drink, and living on their bodies and they'd have told the local priest who'd have you charged with Heresy.

They didn know about them but they were always there.

In the 16th century people hadn't heard of dinosaurs, viruses and indeed until 1610 people new nothing of the Universe, it was all about little old us! But they were always there.

My wife has Coeliac disease and believe me it’s real. I don’t know if there has been a proliferation of these ailments due to modern society habits but it’s always been a thing. People just didn’t know.

The same with nut allergy. My daughter is allergic to hazelnuts and there are plenty of peanut (not a nut) / ground nut allergy sufferers around these days. There was only one I knew of in school with me.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 18:39 - Aug 9 with 752 viewsCatullus

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 17:18 - Aug 9 by union_jack

My wife has Coeliac disease and believe me it’s real. I don’t know if there has been a proliferation of these ailments due to modern society habits but it’s always been a thing. People just didn’t know.

The same with nut allergy. My daughter is allergic to hazelnuts and there are plenty of peanut (not a nut) / ground nut allergy sufferers around these days. There was only one I knew of in school with me.

My son has a nut allergy.

I do think these things are more commonplace these days because of all the rubbish in food. That along with poor medical advice over the years has triggered bigger problems.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 19:42 - Aug 9 with 727 viewsonehunglow

People died of cancer and they were seen as just poorly or old

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 20:40 - Aug 9 with 709 views73__73

The disease of modern living.

Stop eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. Go at least 16 hours without eating.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 23:57 - Aug 9 with 679 viewsmajorraglan

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 18:39 - Aug 9 by Catullus

My son has a nut allergy.

I do think these things are more commonplace these days because of all the rubbish in food. That along with poor medical advice over the years has triggered bigger problems.

Totally agree; years ago a lot of the food was fresh, we only had what was in season and most of the time food was basic. These days everything has a long shelf life, ingredients like nuts turn up in all sorts of things in the guise of flavouring, additives and also as components in treats such as chocolate. Labelling needs to be a lot better.
Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 08:08 - Aug 10 with 629 viewsunion_jack

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 23:57 - Aug 9 by majorraglan

Totally agree; years ago a lot of the food was fresh, we only had what was in season and most of the time food was basic. These days everything has a long shelf life, ingredients like nuts turn up in all sorts of things in the guise of flavouring, additives and also as components in treats such as chocolate. Labelling needs to be a lot better.

Not necessarily better but more accurate. It’s too easy for stores to put the catch-all statement “may contain nuts” as a way of complying with labelling laws. It reduces the amount of food sufferers can eat out of fear. Tesco’s used to be the worst for that.

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 11:31 - Aug 10 with 589 viewsBryanSwan

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 08:08 - Aug 10 by union_jack

Not necessarily better but more accurate. It’s too easy for stores to put the catch-all statement “may contain nuts” as a way of complying with labelling laws. It reduces the amount of food sufferers can eat out of fear. Tesco’s used to be the worst for that.

They legally have to, if they didnt put it on the label and someone was to have a reaction they would be in big trouble.
Most of the "may contain nuts" are due to other products at the factories containing them and there being a contamination risk. Although the chances are extremely low.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 15:53 - Aug 10 with 551 viewsCountyJim

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 11:31 - Aug 10 by BryanSwan

They legally have to, if they didnt put it on the label and someone was to have a reaction they would be in big trouble.
Most of the "may contain nuts" are due to other products at the factories containing them and there being a contamination risk. Although the chances are extremely low.

I brought a bag of dry roasted peanuts last week on package it said may contain nuts 😂😂 I was thinking I hope so 🤣
Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 16:10 - Aug 10 with 544 viewsunion_jack

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 15:53 - Aug 10 by CountyJim

I brought a bag of dry roasted peanuts last week on package it said may contain nuts 😂😂 I was thinking I hope so 🤣

Not as strange as it seems. As I said above, peanuts are not technically nuts, they are legumes. Like peas.

Lactose/gluten and any other intolerance on 21:53 - Aug 10 with 499 viewsPlankton

As Paul Foot once said, TOLERATE IT!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024