Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serie A 20:21 - Sep 27 with 4710 viewslatchford

Ex swans manager at the top!!
Serie A on 21:09 - Sep 27 with 3488 viewsbuilthjack

Mancini??

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Serie A on 21:11 - Sep 27 with 3483 viewsmarchamjack

that horrible defensive game they tend to play over there probably suits him very well

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Serie A on 21:12 - Sep 27 with 3479 viewsbuilthjack

He has done well though, fair play

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Serie A on 21:28 - Sep 27 with 3439 viewshobo

Yep, very impressive. Ripping Inter to shreds on their own patch, superb!
Serie A on 21:31 - Sep 27 with 3427 viewsDarran

He's a lovely lovely man,I saw him do things several times away from the Liberty and the stories he told me were magical.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Serie A on 23:08 - Sep 27 with 3256 viewsKilkennyjack

John Hollins ? #nurse!

Beware of the Risen People

Serie A on 00:11 - Sep 28 with 3189 viewsHidden_Hand

Ridiculous how they erased him from history!
Serie A on 06:38 - Sep 28 with 3092 viewsDr_Winston

Serie A on 00:11 - Sep 28 by Hidden_Hand

Ridiculous how they erased him from history!

One of the more shocking crimes against reality committed by JtaK.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Serie A on 08:43 - Sep 28 with 2991 viewsjack247

People seem to remember Sousa as some kind of managerial demigod on here.

Yes, he sorted out our defence and he was left out of JTAK. He also didn't leave in same way as Martinez, but that was only because everybody wanted him to go anyway.

When Leicester came in for him he was on the verge of getting the sack and his tenure was the only time in 20 years I have genuinely not enjoyed watching the Swans.
Serie A on 09:04 - Sep 28 with 2970 viewsWhiterockin

Serie A on 08:43 - Sep 28 by jack247

Yes, he sorted out our defence and he was left out of JTAK. He also didn't leave in same way as Martinez, but that was only because everybody wanted him to go anyway.

When Leicester came in for him he was on the verge of getting the sack and his tenure was the only time in 20 years I have genuinely not enjoyed watching the Swans.

Agree 100%. His football was so defensive and boring I was really debating whether to renew my season ticket or not. He moved on, much to the relief of many.

His style of football is not suited to the Premier League but perfect for Italy.
Serie A on 09:29 - Sep 28 with 2929 viewsItchySphincter

Serie A on 09:04 - Sep 28 by Whiterockin

Agree 100%. His football was so defensive and boring I was really debating whether to renew my season ticket or not. He moved on, much to the relief of many.

His style of football is not suited to the Premier League but perfect for Italy.

Hugely important and vastly underrated by our fans. Right man, right time, not quite sure why some find it so hard to appreciate that.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Serie A on 09:35 - Sep 28 with 2919 viewsWhiterockin

Serie A on 09:29 - Sep 28 by ItchySphincter

Hugely important and vastly underrated by our fans. Right man, right time, not quite sure why some find it so hard to appreciate that.

Yes he tightened up our play in general and we had a solid defence but you have to agree it was not exciting and a joy to watch.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 9:38]
Serie A on 09:36 - Sep 28 with 2917 viewsswancity

Quite simply we were a very boring side to watch which was all down to the formation and style. If you play defensively even at home with full backs being restricted it will be boring. We had a potential match winner on the bench for most of that season in Trundle who still managed the best goal to minutes ratio in the Championship that season. But To be fair he kept our momentum going on the back of a big defensive effort so deserves some praise for that whilst leaving at the right time too.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Serie A on 09:46 - Sep 28 with 2894 viewsJackSomething

While the football was turgid, it seems pretty clear to me that no Sousa = no promotion. Looking at Rodgers' work at Liverpool, I can't see that he would have tightened up the defence sufficiently if he had directly followed Martinez.

Martinez introduced the passing game that brought so much success and many important players arrived while he was here.
Sousa obviously improved us massively defensively, but made us boring to watch and we didn't score enough goals, partly down to not having a reliable goalscorer.
Rodgers blended the approaches of the previous managers, while bringing in Sinclair, who made a huge difference.

It wasn't fun at the time, but his importance to our rise can't be ignored.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Serie A on 09:48 - Sep 28 with 2889 viewsjack247

Not doubting he played his part, but all he really did was made us solid to break down at the expense of any attacking football. I do appreciate that Craig Beattie aside, he didn't have a lot of funds to work with.

Underrated? Seriously? Just look at this thread. The man was here for one season and was on the verge of getting paid off when we gratefully accepted a paltry sum from Leicester to take him off our hands. If he was here at the right time, he certainly left at the right time as well.
Serie A on 09:49 - Sep 28 with 2886 viewsDarran

Serie A on 08:43 - Sep 28 by jack247

Great remembering so how was he on the verge of getting sacked then?

Serie A on 09:49 - Sep 28 with 2884 viewsPhil_S

Serie A on 09:36 - Sep 28 by swancity

Quite simply we were a very boring side to watch which was all down to the formation and style. If you play defensively even at home with full backs being restricted it will be boring. We had a potential match winner on the bench for most of that season in Trundle who still managed the best goal to minutes ratio in the Championship that season. But To be fair he kept our momentum going on the back of a big defensive effort so deserves some praise for that whilst leaving at the right time too.

You are right we were dull, defensive and boring and despite the protestations we would not have progressed any further had Trundle been in the side.

He tightened us defensively and laid the foundations for promotion the next year

Should never be airbrushed out of any part of our history but never sad to see him go as he wouldn't have taken us to where we now are
Serie A on 09:55 - Sep 28 with 2868 viewsjack247

Serie A on 09:49 - Sep 28 by Darran

Great remembering so how was he on the verge of getting sacked then?

You don't think he was?
Serie A on 09:57 - Sep 28 with 2863 viewsDarran

Serie A on 09:55 - Sep 28 by jack247

You don't think he was?

Well I don't know but if he was the board were going around it in a very strange way.
It's also strange how so many people can't remember the facts.

Serie A on 10:00 - Sep 28 with 2861 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Serie A on 09:55 - Sep 28 by jack247

You don't think he was?

He left for Leicester seven weeks after the end of the season on July 4th.

Knowing how Huw always tries to get his business done early in the close season I can't believe that he was waiting that long to sack him.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Serie A on 10:01 - Sep 28 with 2859 viewsDarran

Serie A on 10:00 - Sep 28 by Joe_bradshaw

He left for Leicester seven weeks after the end of the season on July 4th.

Knowing how Huw always tries to get his business done early in the close season I can't believe that he was waiting that long to sack him.

Exactly.

Serie A on 10:01 - Sep 28 with 2856 viewsswancity

Serie A on 09:49 - Sep 28 by Phil_S

You are right we were dull, defensive and boring and despite the protestations we would not have progressed any further had Trundle been in the side.

He tightened us defensively and laid the foundations for promotion the next year

Should never be airbrushed out of any part of our history but never sad to see him go as he wouldn't have taken us to where we now are

Don't agree re Trundle. Why play Pintado Beattie etc. The last game at home that season was a disgrace. It summed up the season. Didn't you notice the difference when Trundle came on? We actually looked like scoring. In fact Trundle did score but was disallowed.

Goals win games and entertain fans... Keeping a clean sheet was an obsession with him. It was driving people away. That's a recipe for disaster.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Serie A on 10:11 - Sep 28 with 2838 viewsWarwickHunt

An essential part of the process in getting us where we are today.

Anyone failing to see that is a bit thick.
Serie A on 10:13 - Sep 28 with 2835 viewsjack247

Serie A on 09:57 - Sep 28 by Darran

Well I don't know but if he was the board were going around it in a very strange way.
It's also strange how so many people can't remember the facts.

Ok, as I recall it.

The board were split over whether to keep him due to him starting to lose the dressing room over training methods and his negative style of play. He wanted more money for players than agreed when he took over, because he (understandably) felt he had overachieved by getting us almost to the playoffs.

After the season, he was one year into a three or four year contract and there was talk of Leicester being interested. He knew it, the club knew it, so they paid his wages until Leicester made an offer as not to have to compensate him. My mind may be playing tricks, but I think the compensation agreed was undisclosed, but around £50k, which is tantamount to being released anyway.

He was also sacked by the club he played for immediately before and after us. Not sure if it was for playing style, results or being difficult to work with.

Edit - sacked by the clubs he managed, not played for
[Post edited 28 Sep 2015 10:18]
Serie A on 10:16 - Sep 28 with 2828 viewsjack247

Serie A on 10:11 - Sep 28 by WarwickHunt

An essential part of the process in getting us where we are today.

Anyone failing to see that is a bit thick.

Don't think anyone is disputing that tightening up Martinez' defence made Rodgers job a lot easier. I'm just struggling to see why so many people laud him.

Was anyone disappointed when he left?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024