Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car tax refund 15:10 - Nov 27 with 3121 viewsBLAZE

If my car tax is due to run out on 13th February, but I sell the car and the DVLA receive notification on say the 12th November, how much car tax refund would I get?

The website says you get refunded for any full months left remaining but is that 13th Nov > 13th Dec + 13th Dec > 13th January + 13th January > 13th February = 3 months refund... or is it full months as in 1st - 31st of December + 1st - 31st January = 2 months refund?

If that makes sense... I know it used to be the latter, but that was when your car was taxed til the end of the month no matter when in the month you purchased it. I'm wondering if it's changed since the process was updated?
Car tax refund on 15:16 - Nov 27 with 3109 viewsKingsclere_Jack

Car tax is still until the end of the month so it can not run out on 13th Feb
Car tax refund on 15:20 - Nov 27 with 3095 viewsmax936

I reckon it goes on a complete calendar month myself Blaze IE: Nov 1st to Nov 30th
[Post edited 27 Nov 2017 15:23]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Car tax refund on 15:28 - Nov 27 with 3081 viewsBLAZE

Car tax refund on 15:16 - Nov 27 by Kingsclere_Jack

Car tax is still until the end of the month so it can not run out on 13th Feb

Oh right, so even though I purchased it on 13th February last year, it's actually taxed til the end of February 2018? Like it used to be... I could've sworn it changed when they went discless. Ta
Car tax refund on 15:29 - Nov 27 with 3077 viewsKingsclere_Jack

Car tax refund on 15:28 - Nov 27 by BLAZE

Oh right, so even though I purchased it on 13th February last year, it's actually taxed til the end of February 2018? Like it used to be... I could've sworn it changed when they went discless. Ta

If you bought it on Feb 13, It is probably only taxed until the end of Jan. You pay for the whole of the month when you buy it i.e. from Feb 1st.
Car tax refund on 15:33 - Nov 27 with 3066 viewsBLAZE

Sorry, ye, that's how it used to be. I remembered wrong.

So I've been refunded for all of December and all of January, hence the 2 months. Bummer.

You'd think in his day and age they could go from day to day, not month to month!
Car tax refund on 15:36 - Nov 27 with 3056 viewsKingsclere_Jack

Car tax refund on 15:33 - Nov 27 by BLAZE

Sorry, ye, that's how it used to be. I remembered wrong.

So I've been refunded for all of December and all of January, hence the 2 months. Bummer.

You'd think in his day and age they could go from day to day, not month to month!

They could do...... but they wouldn't get as much money then!
Car tax refund on 15:39 - Nov 27 with 3049 viewsJack1

Refund is normally issued for any full calendar months AFTER the DVLA have received your notification.

So if the DVLA received your notification during November then your refund should be for any full months remaining of the tax from 1st December.
Car tax refund on 15:47 - Nov 27 with 3030 viewsJack1

Basically, it doesn't matter if you bought your tax on the 13th or the 28th of february, it reverts back to the 1st of the month. So your tax will be for Feb, March, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan.

Therefore if the DVLA received your notification anytime in November then you'll get December and January's tax back.
Login to get fewer ads

Car tax refund on 15:52 - Nov 27 with 3020 viewsBLAZE

Thanks for clearing it up, I'm with you now

Out of curiosity, do you still get a letter confirming you're no longer the registered keeper? Or do I just assume as much given they've issued a refund? (it doesn't explicitly state I'm no longer the registered keeper anywhere)
Car tax refund on 16:13 - Nov 27 with 2998 viewsJack1

Car tax refund on 15:52 - Nov 27 by BLAZE

Thanks for clearing it up, I'm with you now

Out of curiosity, do you still get a letter confirming you're no longer the registered keeper? Or do I just assume as much given they've issued a refund? (it doesn't explicitly state I'm no longer the registered keeper anywhere)

Id give them a ring to check.

If you are still shown as the registered keeper then any fines etc will go to you, even though you've sold the car.
Car tax refund on 16:29 - Nov 27 with 2981 viewsBLAZE

Done. All is good, thanks

FWIW, they do send out a separate acknowledgement confirming change of ownership. I guess it'll arrive at some point
Car tax refund on 17:07 - Nov 27 with 2943 viewsJack1

As long as it's sorted that's the main thing 👍
Car tax refund on 19:47 - Nov 27 with 2861 viewsexiledclaseboy

Car tax refund on 16:29 - Nov 27 by BLAZE

Done. All is good, thanks

FWIW, they do send out a separate acknowledgement confirming change of ownership. I guess it'll arrive at some point

If you dint get it, chase it up. You might remain liable otherwise.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024