Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DVLA Tip 13:51 - Nov 23 with 1683 viewsAnotherJohn

A few months ago I changed my car. My old one was sold to a private buyer and I made sure to sell just before the end of the month, thinking that I could then reclaim the following month's road tax from DVLA. I sent off the completed transfer form to DVLA the same day thinking that would do the trick. However, I didn't get any response to that or to my follow-up letter, and so last week went on their online chat line to ask an advisor why I hadn't received a refund. His answer was that refunds are not based on the date when you sell the car, but on the date when DVLA processes the transfer of ownership. In other words the only way to get the following month's tax back if you sell near the end of the month is to register the change of ownership online straight away using the DVLA website. Of course, there is no mention of that on the vehicle registration document. In this case I paid for the following month on my new car, the new owner of my old car paid to tax the car again, and DVLA kept the month's tax already paid (3 months tax for two cars on the road for one month). It is a nice little money maker if they are allowed to get away with it,
DVLA Tip on 16:02 - Nov 23 with 1618 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The DVLA has a rather large backlog of postal data, which may be a factor here.
DVLA Tip on 18:42 - Nov 23 with 1563 viewsAnotherJohn

DVLA Tip on 16:02 - Nov 23 by A_Fans_Dad

The DVLA has a rather large backlog of postal data, which may be a factor here.

Indeed so, but DVLA's attitude is that this is your problem and not their's. They happily pocket the extra cash, when they have a straightforward and verifiable record of who has paid what road fund tax. I just thought it was worth passing on to others that there is a way to register transfer of ownership online, and this is what to do if you don't want to be paying double tax in the month after you've changed your car.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024