Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
south Gower 17:08 - Feb 12 with 3538 viewsbritferry

where would you say the Gower starts ???

And which of these is on it then?
Mumbles
Norton
West Cross
Mayals
Clyne
Black Pill
Singleton

I do have a reason for asking, which I will explain later

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

south Gower on 17:18 - Feb 12 with 2208 viewsGwyn737

Out of those I’d say Clyne (from the common on)
south Gower on 17:19 - Feb 12 with 2205 viewsGwyn737

south Gower on 17:18 - Feb 12 by Gwyn737

Out of those I’d say Clyne (from the common on)

...and from the other side, Penclawdd.
south Gower on 17:27 - Feb 12 with 2192 viewsmax936

Try this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gower_Peninsula

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

south Gower on 17:52 - Feb 12 with 2163 viewsonehunglow

Upper Killay.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

south Gower on 18:19 - Feb 12 with 2145 viewsraynor94

south Gower on 17:52 - Feb 12 by onehunglow

Upper Killay.

Yes

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

south Gower on 18:21 - Feb 12 with 2154 viewsCatullus

I wouldn't say upper Killay was but once you cross the cattle grid onto Fairwood, that is. Out of the Op list I'd say none of them. Swansea is not on the Gower but right next to it, isn't it?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

south Gower on 18:26 - Feb 12 with 2146 viewsonehunglow

south Gower on 18:21 - Feb 12 by Catullus

I wouldn't say upper Killay was but once you cross the cattle grid onto Fairwood, that is. Out of the Op list I'd say none of them. Swansea is not on the Gower but right next to it, isn't it?

And that is Gower then. Upper Killay was different to Killay where I lived.

Schools were Gower

south Gower on 18:35 - Feb 12 with 2141 viewsexhmrc1

Gower and Swansea were separated by the old Swansea to Shrewsbury rail line. Everything Swansea side was classed as Swansea and the other side was Gower. Pre the setting up of Swansea as a city students from the Gower side of Dunvant square went to Glamorgan schools and those over the bridge to Swansea schools. The Killay side went to Bishop Gore and Dynevor and those towards Three Crosses went to Gowerton grammar school. Some of the boys from Dunant and Penclawdd went to Pontardawe tec. Even today Gowerton school is still the catchment comprehensive for that area rather than Olchfa.

A few years back people in the Three Crosses side had the Gower Police whereas the other side had police from Sketty
Login to get fewer ads

south Gower on 18:47 - Feb 12 with 2133 viewsbritferry

Ok my reason for asking:

Bonnie Tyler on the DM

FAVOURITE PART OF WALES?
The Gower coast, where I live. The scenery is sensational and it’s made for walking.

Her house is half way between the West Cross Inn & the Woodmans, so I wasn't sure if that was on the Gower?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/escape/article-9229531/Singer-Bonnie-Tyler-ta

south Gower on 19:07 - Feb 12 with 2125 viewsexhmrc1

south Gower on 18:47 - Feb 12 by britferry

Ok my reason for asking:

Bonnie Tyler on the DM

FAVOURITE PART OF WALES?
The Gower coast, where I live. The scenery is sensational and it’s made for walking.

Her house is half way between the West Cross Inn & the Woodmans, so I wasn't sure if that was on the Gower?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/escape/article-9229531/Singer-Bonnie-Tyler-ta

Here is an article on Penyfro school. Prior to it being build the children went to Three Crosses rather than the school the other side of Dunvant. This was to do with that part of Dunvant being part of Gower RDC and Glamorgan council and the other school being in Swansea. There were also different police forces.Swansea Police and Glamorgan Police who apparently didnt get on too well so I was told by an old copper at the time.
south Gower on 19:07 - Feb 12 with 2125 viewsexhmrc1

Ok my reason for asking:

Bonnie Tyler on the DM

FAVOURITE PART OF WALES?

Here is an article on Penyfro school. Prior to it being build the children went to Three Crosses rather than the school the other side of Dunvant. This was to do with that part of Dunvant being part of Gower RDC and Glamorgan council and the other school being in Swansea. There were also different police forces.Swansea Police and Glamorgan Police who apparently didnt get on too well so I was told by an old copper at the time.

Let us return to those children living in the Dunvant west area. For many years it was
their lot to travel each school day to the school in the village of Three Crosses. This, being
the nearest school to the area administered by Glamorgan County Council, received each
yearly intake at the Infant stage and the children remained there. At the age of eleven the
children sat the county scholarship and those who were successful became pupils in the
Gowerton grammar schools. The unsuccessful candidates remained behind at Three
Crosses until it became time for them to leave. After the 1944 Act was brought into being a
Secondary School for children, other than Grammar School pupils, was established at
Penclawdd and it was to here that the other pupils were directed. This meant a lengthening
of their school day for the move meant a longer bus ride daily.
Dyfnant School — Pen-y-fro
In September 1972 Dunvant west saw the opening of the areas Primary school. It
was called Dyfnant School and was built on ground at the edge of the village towards Three
Crosses. Its design was forward looking in so much as it was an open plan school. This
type of school developed the use of classrooms not surrounded by four walls, giving the
illusion of more space within its area and a freedom of movement from one activity area to
another. At its opening the school was sparsely furnished and not completely finished, but
the Authority wanted the school to be in progress at the start of the new academic year. The
opening weeks were fraught with difficulty for the headteacher, Mr Davies, for not only did
he have to deal with a leaking roof but also a shortage of staff members. The reception area
was overcrowded with 84 new pupils this fact demanded his reorganisation of the whole
school. These difficulties were overcome and the school settled down.
In those early years of Dyfnant School the staff worked very hard to champion the
open plan idea and they did this with much success. Before long the strangeness of this
method of teaching was forgotten by parents as their children developed their learning.
There then came a time when in 1974 the County of West Glamorgan was created and all
pupils from Dyfnant were directed to Gowerton Comprehensive School when they reached
secondary education level.
Today Dyfnant School is known as Pen Y Fro Primary School. The reason for this
change in name stems from the fact that there was much confusion between Dunvant
School and Dyfnant School. This confusion led to letters and parcels and equipment being
delivered to the wrong school. Visitors turned up at the wrong school and each headteacher
was at pains to establish which school was which. A change of name was the obvious
solution.
south Gower on 20:10 - Feb 12 with 2095 viewsGwyn737

That whole area is bit of a crossroads for secondary schools.

I went to Gowerton (89 - 96) and at that time Pen y Fro went to Gowerton, Dunvant to Olchfa and Crwys to Bishopston. All 3 primary schools within a couple of miles of each other. Ut fed into different secondary schools.
south Gower on 20:22 - Feb 12 with 2081 viewsexhmrc1

south Gower on 20:10 - Feb 12 by Gwyn737

That whole area is bit of a crossroads for secondary schools.

I went to Gowerton (89 - 96) and at that time Pen y Fro went to Gowerton, Dunvant to Olchfa and Crwys to Bishopston. All 3 primary schools within a couple of miles of each other. Ut fed into different secondary schools.

That is still the case. South Gower up to and including Three Crosses go to Bishopston. North Gower including top of Dunvant go to Gowerton and Dunvant from the Bridge towards Killay go to Olchfa. It goes back to the old counties and local authorities. Penyfro was part of Gower RDC and Dunvant part of Swansea Town Council. Two of the old ladies who moved in Priors Way was first opened told me that area was part of Fairwood back in the 1950s. In those days their kids used to walk to Crwys and went to secondary in Penclawdd.
south Gower on 20:27 - Feb 12 with 2076 viewsGwyn737

south Gower on 20:22 - Feb 12 by exhmrc1

That is still the case. South Gower up to and including Three Crosses go to Bishopston. North Gower including top of Dunvant go to Gowerton and Dunvant from the Bridge towards Killay go to Olchfa. It goes back to the old counties and local authorities. Penyfro was part of Gower RDC and Dunvant part of Swansea Town Council. Two of the old ladies who moved in Priors Way was first opened told me that area was part of Fairwood back in the 1950s. In those days their kids used to walk to Crwys and went to secondary in Penclawdd.

Funny isn’t it? I’ve never thought of Dunvant or Gowerton as North Gower - in my head it starts in Penclawdd.

I’ve got no reason for that judgement mind! Just how it was thought of locally.
south Gower on 20:31 - Feb 12 with 2066 viewsonehunglow

It started Dunvant Bridge for me

south Gower on 20:56 - Feb 12 with 2055 viewsexhmrc1

south Gower on 20:31 - Feb 12 by onehunglow

It started Dunvant Bridge for me

It always was the Bridge you are right. Penyfro area was in Gower before Swansea became a city. There are old maps that show the railway line to be the border going back to the 1920s. The old ladies knew an awful lot about it and explained all to me along with a guy who was very much into the historical side. Trying to convince people is another thing. It is probably the reason for Killay and Upper Killay were in different counties much like the well know saying of Upper and Lower Cwmtwrch and Upper and Lower Brynamman.
south Gower on 21:08 - Feb 12 with 2047 viewsGwyn737

south Gower on 20:56 - Feb 12 by exhmrc1

It always was the Bridge you are right. Penyfro area was in Gower before Swansea became a city. There are old maps that show the railway line to be the border going back to the 1920s. The old ladies knew an awful lot about it and explained all to me along with a guy who was very much into the historical side. Trying to convince people is another thing. It is probably the reason for Killay and Upper Killay were in different counties much like the well know saying of Upper and Lower Cwmtwrch and Upper and Lower Brynamman.

I wouldn’t argue the case at all.

This thread gave me a flashback to being in primary school at lunchtime with W.G.C.C. stamped onto the cutlery!
south Gower on 21:17 - Feb 12 with 2044 viewsexhmrc1

south Gower on 21:08 - Feb 12 by Gwyn737

I wouldn’t argue the case at all.

This thread gave me a flashback to being in primary school at lunchtime with W.G.C.C. stamped onto the cutlery!

Unfortunately many friends of mine over the years have disputed it.
south Gower on 21:40 - Feb 12 with 2032 viewsCatullus

Ok my reason for asking:

Bonnie Tyler on the DM

FAVOURITE PART OF WALES?

Where's she living now then, she used to be in Norton, a stones throw from the Beaufort pub.
Nowhere on Swansea seafront is Gower, isn't Swansea called the "gateway to Gower"?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

south Gower on 22:51 - Feb 12 with 2001 viewsTreforys_Jack

So many "The Gowers" its Gower FFS.
south Gower on 23:05 - Feb 12 with 1989 viewslifelong

The Welcome to Gower pub was in Gowerton.
south Gower on 23:36 - Feb 12 with 1976 viewsbritferry

south Gower on 21:40 - Feb 12 by Catullus

Where's she living now then, she used to be in Norton, a stones throw from the Beaufort pub.
Nowhere on Swansea seafront is Gower, isn't Swansea called the "gateway to Gower"?

a house up on a bank on the Mumbles Rd, the owner of Trade Centre Wales was building something right next door but I think he sold up or something

south Gower on 11:35 - Feb 13 with 1882 viewsonehunglow

and its Gower ff or the Gower peninular.

It s like here where when the area is described as "The Wirral" when it's Wirral.

south Gower on 23:24 - Feb 13 with 1794 viewsAndyCole

Apparently Southgate is not actually part of gower.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

south Gower on 03:23 - Feb 14 with 1761 viewsJack59

south Gower on 20:22 - Feb 12 by exhmrc1

Swansea Town Council is not something I remember. However, I do fondly remember the County Borough of Swansea, as it was my first employer back in 1968.
I remember being told early on by superiors, ''If the phone goes, answer it quickly because it may be a ratepayer'' People knew who to complain to, Heads of departments were not anonymous, and they often had to face hostile residents, and an intelligent questioning media.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024