Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours 13:25 - Aug 8 with 4876 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55415/swansea-city-close

Transfer news above
Twitter below

This post has been edited by an administrator
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 13:47 - Aug 8 with 3058 viewsmax936

Good News, any news on the James Garner rumour and securing a striker?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 14:41 - Aug 8 with 2914 viewsJohnw102

Brewster and Oli both on bench last night either on loan would be a bonus.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 14:45 - Aug 8 with 2893 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 14:41 - Aug 8 by Johnw102

IMO Sheffield have to much money invested in those two to loan them out, unless their wages are paid in full and we won't be doing that. More likely Brewster sale and cut their losses and persevere with McBurnie.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 16:02 - Aug 8 with 2686 viewsgrabsplatter

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 14:45 - Aug 8 by Whiterockin

IMO Sheffield have to much money invested in those two to loan them out, unless their wages are paid in full and we won't be doing that. More likely Brewster sale and cut their losses and persevere with McBurnie.

I can't see them loaning Brewster out either & after a year where he didn't score a single goal they'd lose a huge amount of money if they tried selling him.
I don't think he's going anywhere this season.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 16:11 - Aug 8 with 2666 viewsFlashberryjack

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 14:41 - Aug 8 by Johnw102

Nice thought , more chance of Messi and Bale going to Cardiff

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:16 - Aug 8 with 2511 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 13:47 - Aug 8 by max936

Good News, any news on the James Garner rumour and securing a striker?

You would have thought if the club are serious about Laird, and they seem to be he must have come up in conversation.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:22 - Aug 8 with 2491 viewsThornburyswan

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:16 - Aug 8 by KeithHaynes

You would have thought if the club are serious about Laird, and they seem to be he must have come up in conversation.

May well have but I guess we have to get the balance right - we have Smith, Walsh & Fulton plus if we are signing Downes & possibly keeping Grimes suspect any spare £££s need spending elsewhere on the pitch.

If Grimes was to exit for £3.5M+ that might change though.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:52 - Aug 8 with 2402 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:22 - Aug 8 by Thornburyswan

May well have but I guess we have to get the balance right - we have Smith, Walsh & Fulton plus if we are signing Downes & possibly keeping Grimes suspect any spare £££s need spending elsewhere on the pitch.

If Grimes was to exit for £3.5M+ that might change though.

If we sell Grimes we'll still have 4 senior options for 2 deeper midfield roles with Walsh, Downes, Fulton and Smith. Just signed Paterson to play further forward. Garner may possibly be an upgrade but we'd just be developing another Big Club's young player for slight improvement in the short term again.And making it impossible for our own academy prospects to find minutes.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:56 - Aug 8 with 2385 viewsmax936

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:52 - Aug 8 by jasper_T

If we sell Grimes we'll still have 4 senior options for 2 deeper midfield roles with Walsh, Downes, Fulton and Smith. Just signed Paterson to play further forward. Garner may possibly be an upgrade but we'd just be developing another Big Club's young player for slight improvement in the short term again.And making it impossible for our own academy prospects to find minutes.

Oh right, I thought Garner was a Centre Half? think we may need one.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:56 - Aug 8 with 2383 viewsicecoldjack

Our stock should be quite high with prem teams when it comes to taking loan players . I suspect a few reasonably cheap loan players with potential is our way forward.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 18:06 - Aug 8 with 2344 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:56 - Aug 8 by max936

Oh right, I thought Garner was a Centre Half? think we may need one.

He played there at development levels but his senior career has been in midfield. Often partnered with Levitt for United's u23s.

Brandon Cooper deserves a chance before we give up and loan in more young players.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 18:21 - Aug 8 with 2303 viewscimlaswan

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 16:02 - Aug 8 by grabsplatter

I can't see them loaning Brewster out either & after a year where he didn't score a single goal they'd lose a huge amount of money if they tried selling him.
I don't think he's going anywhere this season.

Brewster hasn't scored a single goal for Sheff Utd? You just know what's going to happen next Saturday don't you.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 18:34 - Aug 8 with 2268 viewsCatullus

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 18:21 - Aug 8 by cimlaswan

Brewster hasn't scored a single goal for Sheff Utd? You just know what's going to happen next Saturday don't you.

To be honest, given our current situation and status, I expect us to get beaten anyway. It's not the result I'm worried about but more the development of the team and a couple of decent signings. I'm prepared to write off the first 2/3 months as a learning curve and hope that by Christmas we have gotten somewhere.
Anyone who hopes we're going to be beating the Blades and up at the top of the division early on is dreaming, to be honest. Feel free to dream but I'm heavily into pragmatism right now. Dreaming hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:04 - Aug 8 with 2196 viewsDJack

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 18:21 - Aug 8 by cimlaswan

Mentioned this to the wife and her words were - Oh f***!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:05 - Aug 8 with 2191 viewsgrabsplatter

More worried about Oli but they'll probably both score!
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:07 - Aug 8 with 2185 viewsjack247

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 17:52 - Aug 8 by jasper_T

Our academy prospects generally do get the chance if they are good enough though?

They either

Make it and progress to a bigger club (Davies, Rodon, James).
Make it and become a key player (Roberts, Cabango, potentially Cullen).
Make it to the first team but not really establish themselves (Byers, arguably Cian Harries).
Get released and play at a lower level (most of them).

I can’t think of any who haven’t made our first team, but have then gone on to play for a top half Championship club or higher. I’m sure there are some, but they are rare.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:16 - Aug 8 with 2155 viewsChief

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:07 - Aug 8 by jack247

Our academy prospects generally do get the chance if they are good enough though?

They either

Make it to the first team but not really establish themselves (Byers, arguably Cian Harries).

I can’t think of any who haven’t made our first team, but have then gone on to play for a top half Championship club or higher. I’m sure there are some, but they are rare.

Norrington Davies is one.

Marley Watkins went onto to play at championship level for a bit. Ryan Hedges plays in the SPL, Gwion Edwards has been on the fringes of the championship few times.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:31 - Aug 8 with 2126 viewsjack247

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:16 - Aug 8 by Chief

Norrington Davies is one.

Marley Watkins went onto to play at championship level for a bit. Ryan Hedges plays in the SPL, Gwion Edwards has been on the fringes of the championship few times.

There we go. Norrington-Davies is a fair example. He goes out on loan every season, but was in the Championship last season.

I had to google Marley Watkins. He left us in 2007. Hard to say if the SPL is as good as the top half of the Championship. I wouldn’t say so.

Not a knock on the academy at all, just an observation that those that don’t get their chance in the first team seldom go on to have Championship level careers anyway,
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:50 - Aug 8 with 2074 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:07 - Aug 8 by jack247

They either

They have to be very patient for that chance. Our breakthrough prospect in Cullen turned 22 before getting a run of games at the end of the season. Brandon Cooper made his debut for us 3 years ago, barely a whisper since (injuries this year had their effect of course). Cabango's the only teenage sensation we've seen in competitive games, and he had to fight past two loaned-in players in his position that first season. Players rarely kick on and become "good enough" unless faith is shown and opportunities given - we saw with Guehi the progress that can be made over 18 months. Never get the chance, drop down through the levels and maybe never climb back up.

Seen Swans fans wanting us to bring in 18 and 19 year old defenders from PL academies when we've got older, more experienced players on our own books waiting for the nod. Remember when Tyler Reid came in from Man Utd and some predicted he'd be starting for us within a year. Few had even heard of Connor Roberts. People had kittens at the thought of Rodon and DJ playing games for us but Yan Dhanda was the next big thing because Klopp name-dropped him once. Starstruck.

Sheehan will be a Championship player eventually. Should flourish in League One away from Newport's cabbage patch. Alex Samuel played in the Championship with Wycombe.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 20:08 - Aug 8 with 2019 viewsjack247

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 19:50 - Aug 8 by jasper_T

They have to be very patient for that chance. Our breakthrough prospect in Cullen turned 22 before getting a run of games at the end of the season. Brandon Cooper made his debut for us 3 years ago, barely a whisper since (injuries this year had their effect of course). Cabango's the only teenage sensation we've seen in competitive games, and he had to fight past two loaned-in players in his position that first season. Players rarely kick on and become "good enough" unless faith is shown and opportunities given - we saw with Guehi the progress that can be made over 18 months. Never get the chance, drop down through the levels and maybe never climb back up.

Seen Swans fans wanting us to bring in 18 and 19 year old defenders from PL academies when we've got older, more experienced players on our own books waiting for the nod. Remember when Tyler Reid came in from Man Utd and some predicted he'd be starting for us within a year. Few had even heard of Connor Roberts. People had kittens at the thought of Rodon and DJ playing games for us but Yan Dhanda was the next big thing because Klopp name-dropped him once. Starstruck.

Sheehan will be a Championship player eventually. Should flourish in League One away from Newport's cabbage patch. Alex Samuel played in the Championship with Wycombe.

That’s kind of my point though. If players were regularly getting released, dropping to league one or two but then working their way to our level or better, I’d agree we weren’t giving young prospects enough opportunity.

From the examples given, I’d say only Norrington-Davies is at a better club than us and they don’t play him.

I’m not pretending that everyone who has been at a top PL club academy is brilliant. They get released for a reason. The loanees we develop into £15m players over a season invariably enhance our squads.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 20:31 - Aug 8 with 1966 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 20:08 - Aug 8 by jack247

That’s kind of my point though. If players were regularly getting released, dropping to league one or two but then working their way to our level or better, I’d agree we weren’t giving young prospects enough opportunity.

From the examples given, I’d say only Norrington-Davies is at a better club than us and they don’t play him.

I’m not pretending that everyone who has been at a top PL club academy is brilliant. They get released for a reason. The loanees we develop into £15m players over a season invariably enhance our squads.

Enhanced in the short-term. We would be stronger right now if Benda had played all last season. Latibeaudiere is a shambles but would he be given Guehi's gametime?

The first few months with Guehi, Gallagher and Brewster was Cooper's worst run of form as it happened. A year and a half later we're looking at our squad seeing strange gaps at centre half, attacking midfield and centre forward... Coincidence?
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 21:07 - Aug 8 with 1867 viewsjack247

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 20:31 - Aug 8 by jasper_T

Enhanced in the short-term. We would be stronger right now if Benda had played all last season. Latibeaudiere is a shambles but would he be given Guehi's gametime?

The first few months with Guehi, Gallagher and Brewster was Cooper's worst run of form as it happened. A year and a half later we're looking at our squad seeing strange gaps at centre half, attacking midfield and centre forward... Coincidence?

We were within 90 minutes of the PL last season. Not far off the season before. Would we have been without those players?

Yes, you’ve always got to be looking to the future. If you do it at the expense of the present, it will never come.

There has to be a balance between our own players and loaning genuine PL prospects. Academy prospects should be blooded as and when they deserve it without compromising the team too much. The careers of prospects that have left us over the last decade or so suggest we’ve probably judged that quite well.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 21:23 - Aug 8 with 1826 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 21:07 - Aug 8 by jack247

We were within 90 minutes of the PL last season. Not far off the season before. Would we have been without those players?

Yes, you’ve always got to be looking to the future. If you do it at the expense of the present, it will never come.

There has to be a balance between our own players and loaning genuine PL prospects. Academy prospects should be blooded as and when they deserve it without compromising the team too much. The careers of prospects that have left us over the last decade or so suggest we’ve probably judged that quite well.

What do we get for losing in the playoffs? The gambles didn't pay off.

"As and when they deserve it without compromising the team too much" vs "genuine PL prospects" says it all for how our academy and its players are still viewed by our own fans. You'd never guess we'd spent all that PL money on top grade facilities and coaching. No talent in Swansea, innit.

Have we judged well in the past? Rodon played because there was no one left for a couple of games before CCV could be finalised, in which he excelled. We bought Asoro and McKay in ahead of Dan James. Cabango had to fight off Guehi and Wilmot despite vdH and Rodon's injuries. Connor got his foot in the door because Carvalhal needed to rest Naughton for a cup game and asked Alan Curtis is there was anyone available. Byers was left at Landore in favour of Adnan Maric. More luck than judgement, really.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 21:31 - Aug 8 with 1804 viewsdobjack2

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 20:31 - Aug 8 by jasper_T

Cooper got us into the play offs twice but what is his legacy?

Are our players better players because of him and his coaching team? Have we developed our own players to fill some of the gaps that he utilised loan players for?

Martin’s philosophy is a million miles removed from Coopers which was a million miles more away from Potter so there is little continuity in style. I’m struggling with how his time in charge has improved us as a club.
Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 22:07 - Aug 8 with 1733 viewsjack247

Swansea City close to securing two new signings over the next 48 hours on 21:23 - Aug 8 by jasper_T

What do we get for losing in the playoffs? The gambles didn't pay off.

"As and when they deserve it without compromising the team too much" vs "genuine PL prospects" says it all for how our academy and its players are still viewed by our own fans. You'd never guess we'd spent all that PL money on top grade facilities and coaching. No talent in Swansea, innit.

Have we judged well in the past? Rodon played because there was no one left for a couple of games before CCV could be finalised, in which he excelled. We bought Asoro and McKay in ahead of Dan James. Cabango had to fight off Guehi and Wilmot despite vdH and Rodon's injuries. Connor got his foot in the door because Carvalhal needed to rest Naughton for a cup game and asked Alan Curtis is there was anyone available. Byers was left at Landore in favour of Adnan Maric. More luck than judgement, really.

‘What do we get for losing in the playoffs?’ If that’s a genuine attitude towards ambition then I’m glad the club don’t share it with you. Far better to stack the team with academy players and settle for eventual relegation I guess?

As we’ve already established, not many of our academy graduates have made it at Championship level. Those that have (bar a season at Wycombe) have done it through our first team.

That’s not an attack on our academy, it’s reality. The few that did make it, made it big and earned the club millions. I doubt that’s uncommon among smaller clubs that spent a decent period in the PL and invested in a top level academy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024