Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plumbers 11:10 - May 28 with 2051 viewsjack_lord

Why oh why are some so unreliable.

We need a gas pipe cut and terminated (and have the boiler serviced at the same time and the guys have just not turned up.

The blwdy thing is doing my swede in as we can't progress with our kitchen until that is done.

What is wrong with people

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Plumbers on 11:43 - May 28 with 2023 viewshowenjack

Go to gas box . See lever on the side .pull lever down ie turn off supply then turn on gas hob to rid any residual gas in system or gas appliance close to where you want to cut the pipe. After few minutes test to make sure no gas left by trying to light hob/appliance. If no gas present cut pipe with hacksaw . Clean pipe ejd with sandpaper /wire wool. Apply flux to pipe end and push a presoldered stop end on to pipe end .Apply heat with blow torch until solder shows . Pipe end is now soldered .Let cool for half hour .Turn on gas lever ...check for gas smell /use fairy liquid to ensure no leaks at pipe end. If ok turn on hob and see if gas comes through assuming you have not cut supply to it by stop ending pipe
Jobs a good un.
Plumbers on 12:25 - May 28 with 2005 viewsjack_lord

Plumbers on 11:43 - May 28 by howenjack

Go to gas box . See lever on the side .pull lever down ie turn off supply then turn on gas hob to rid any residual gas in system or gas appliance close to where you want to cut the pipe. After few minutes test to make sure no gas left by trying to light hob/appliance. If no gas present cut pipe with hacksaw . Clean pipe ejd with sandpaper /wire wool. Apply flux to pipe end and push a presoldered stop end on to pipe end .Apply heat with blow torch until solder shows . Pipe end is now soldered .Let cool for half hour .Turn on gas lever ...check for gas smell /use fairy liquid to ensure no leaks at pipe end. If ok turn on hob and see if gas comes through assuming you have not cut supply to it by stop ending pipe
Jobs a good un.

Thanks we are cutting the pipe that supplies the gas hob as we are going to install an induction hob. The pipe is going to be cut above ceiling level and once it is safe the plasterboards can be put up and plastered an then kitchen installed :(

Plumbers on 13:46 - May 28 with 1980 viewshowenjack

Ok just cut pipe as outlined and check for leaks once soldered
Plumbers on 20:37 - May 30 with 1836 viewsSTID2017

Plumbers on 12:25 - May 28 by jack_lord

Thanks we are cutting the pipe that supplies the gas hob as we are going to install an induction hob. The pipe is going to be cut above ceiling level and once it is safe the plasterboards can be put up and plastered an then kitchen installed :(

Where you based ?
Try James Bros Neath.
Never seen a bad review of them
[Post edited 30 May 2022 21:40]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Plumbers on 21:25 - May 30 with 1808 viewsLorax

I wouldn't touch this myself, your home insurance is invalidated if you aren't qualified and do it yourself.

Whereabouts are you, I know a good gas plumber, reasonable prices too. He services our boiler.
Plumbers on 22:38 - May 31 with 1668 viewsjack_lord

Plumbers on 21:25 - May 30 by Lorax

I wouldn't touch this myself, your home insurance is invalidated if you aren't qualified and do it yourself.

Whereabouts are you, I know a good gas plumber, reasonable prices too. He services our boiler.

We are in Bishopston. I think our plumber who has been overwhelmed with work is going to come down from Gwaun cae gurwen way after the bank holiday if he can't get down tomorrow. I have a mate who is gas registered and was doing it as a hobble but kept letting us down and so on.
I needed an electrician and he came the next day but he, and everyone else, has been held up by the rogue pipe.
My plumber did suggest I cut the pipe as above as a temporary measure until he gets down but I'm reluctant to mess with gas.

Plumbers on 23:29 - May 31 with 1642 viewsSTID2017

Plumbers on 22:38 - May 31 by jack_lord

We are in Bishopston. I think our plumber who has been overwhelmed with work is going to come down from Gwaun cae gurwen way after the bank holiday if he can't get down tomorrow. I have a mate who is gas registered and was doing it as a hobble but kept letting us down and so on.
I needed an electrician and he came the next day but he, and everyone else, has been held up by the rogue pipe.
My plumber did suggest I cut the pipe as above as a temporary measure until he gets down but I'm reluctant to mess with gas.

As before try James Bros.
Or Andrew D'Auria, Landore. He has lots of guys, so probably someone down your way working

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Plumbers on 16:13 - Jun 8 with 1498 viewsBarrySwan

Plumbers on 11:43 - May 28 by howenjack

Jobs a good un.

Are you seriously giving advice to a non qualified member of the public on how to cut into and seal their gas supply?

Apart from the fact that only by using a manometer can you be sure of there being no gas leak on the system I wouldn't have thought that it takes a genius to consider that someone with no clue to what they're doing working on gas pipes after following advice on a football message board is perhaps not the brightest suggestion in the world.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 16:15]
Login to get fewer ads

Plumbers on 20:16 - Jun 8 with 1450 viewsjack_lord

Plumbers on 16:13 - Jun 8 by BarrySwan

Are you seriously giving advice to a non qualified member of the public on how to cut into and seal their gas supply?

Apart from the fact that only by using a manometer can you be sure of there being no gas leak on the system I wouldn't have thought that it takes a genius to consider that someone with no clue to what they're doing working on gas pipes after following advice on a football message board is perhaps not the brightest suggestion in the world.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 16:15]

I would not say no clue to what I am doing as I know what to do but I won't do it because it is gas. In fact my own regular plumber suggested I do the same until he gets down if I need to move on to the next stage quickly. I haven't done that as I was expecting him down on Monday but surprise surprise he didn't turn up. He is talking about friday this week instead.

I would have been sacked if I was that unreliable.

Plumbers on 13:21 - Jun 9 with 1378 viewsBarrySwan

Plumbers on 20:16 - Jun 8 by jack_lord

I would not say no clue to what I am doing as I know what to do but I won't do it because it is gas. In fact my own regular plumber suggested I do the same until he gets down if I need to move on to the next stage quickly. I haven't done that as I was expecting him down on Monday but surprise surprise he didn't turn up. He is talking about friday this week instead.

I would have been sacked if I was that unreliable.

Putting to one side your understandable annoyance about someone you say has let you down, I personally wouldn't be letting anyone advising an unqualified person to work on the gas installation in their house anywhere near my place.

The point is not how relatively straightforward it might be to cut a pipe and cap it but like any engineering situation its not just what you are doing but the expert knowledge and experience to spot other implications with the job in hand that is crucial.

For instance once you interfere with the gas supply in a property you are actually responsible for the entire installion and appliances within that property as in identifying any incorrect installations and the gas soundness of the entire pipework not just the immediate piece of pipe that you have cut into.

Not only might the installion already have a slight leak but by handling and cutting into the live pipework leaks can be caused to adjoining joints and pipework which would not be revealed by the suggestion by the bright spark who suggested dabbing a bit of soapy water on the area cut into.

Only by a whole house manometer (U Guage) test can someone be sure that there are no leaks on the pipework or appliance installation.

It never ceases to amaze me why anyone untrained or unqualified would ever even remotely consider messing about with the gas pipework or appliances in their house possibly causing danger to themselves their families and possibly neighbouring families and houses.

You are very sensible to leave well alone.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2022 13:23]
Plumbers on 21:05 - Jun 9 with 1318 viewsjack_lord

Plumbers on 13:21 - Jun 9 by BarrySwan

Putting to one side your understandable annoyance about someone you say has let you down, I personally wouldn't be letting anyone advising an unqualified person to work on the gas installation in their house anywhere near my place.

The point is not how relatively straightforward it might be to cut a pipe and cap it but like any engineering situation its not just what you are doing but the expert knowledge and experience to spot other implications with the job in hand that is crucial.

For instance once you interfere with the gas supply in a property you are actually responsible for the entire installion and appliances within that property as in identifying any incorrect installations and the gas soundness of the entire pipework not just the immediate piece of pipe that you have cut into.

Not only might the installion already have a slight leak but by handling and cutting into the live pipework leaks can be caused to adjoining joints and pipework which would not be revealed by the suggestion by the bright spark who suggested dabbing a bit of soapy water on the area cut into.

Only by a whole house manometer (U Guage) test can someone be sure that there are no leaks on the pipework or appliance installation.

It never ceases to amaze me why anyone untrained or unqualified would ever even remotely consider messing about with the gas pipework or appliances in their house possibly causing danger to themselves their families and possibly neighbouring families and houses.

You are very sensible to leave well alone.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2022 13:23]

I understand what you are saying.
There is an isolation valve below the gas hob which can obviously be turned off.
If I am going to do anything it will be turning that off and removing the hob and putting a compression end on the pipe. This will all be removed when the supply gets capped. Then I can get at my electrics on that wall.
I was trained by an electrician before anyone shouts at me and it is going to be checked and signed off again.

Plumbers on 01:20 - Jun 10 with 1278 viewsKeithHaynes

Plumbers.
Worse than coppers.
Never fix anything.

Brikies, always building walls.
Causing division.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Plumbers on 09:51 - Jun 10 with 1252 viewsLorax

Plumbers on 01:20 - Jun 10 by KeithHaynes

Plumbers.
Worse than coppers.
Never fix anything.

Brikies, always building walls.
Causing division.

Yes, very true and lets not get into Forum moderators
Plumbers on 10:14 - Jun 10 with 1246 viewsjack_lord

Just to update - despite messages and phone calls my effing plumber has gone radio silent again.
T W *
T

Plumbers on 10:21 - Jun 10 with 1243 viewslifelong

Plumbers on 10:14 - Jun 10 by jack_lord

Just to update - despite messages and phone calls my effing plumber has gone radio silent again.
T W *
T

Try SDW Plumbers 07795681275, based in Skewen, Steve is a cracking bloke, done a lot of work for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024