Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vestergaard 11:19 - Apr 23 with 2794 viewsTimSaint

Already much speculation regarding his future at Saints, so just seen this on the BBC Football site......

Roma are set to meet Jannik Vestergaard's representatives as they work on plans to sign the Southampton and Denmark defender, 28, who is also wanted by Tottenham and Juventus.

Like quite a few others (Ings, Lemina, Hoedt etc), I think he has just over a year left on his current deal, so no surprise that these stories are breaking.

Do we want to keep him ? He was poor at the start, had a 5 month purple patch before getting injured and seems to be slowly sliding back to his former self.

Or do we cash out with a year left on his contract, in an attempt to get £15-20m ?

TimSaint

Vestergaard on 12:29 - Apr 23 with 1977 viewsSadoldgit

It took him time to adjust but when he finally did he became a key player for us. Personally I would offer him a new contract. Although he doesn’t have pace he can play.
Vestergaard on 13:27 - Apr 23 with 1927 viewsSonicBoom

Definitely keep him. Even if for no other reason than it's a problem position for us and he's the best we have.
Bednarek's form looks shaky and frankly despite the comments I've seen Salisu appears unable to trap a wet bag of cement.
Vestergaard on 15:00 - Apr 23 with 1871 viewskingslandstand1

Definitely keep him. He's the biggest rock in our defence and I never thought I's say that 18 months ago when he was guaranteed a serious mistake or 3

Trouble is, I just can't see him staying if the likes of those clubs you mention come for him. It may make a difference if Danny stays, or even Bertrand though I suspect something is amiss with him at the moment (was he injured for the Spurs game or just left out of the squad through Ralph's choice? I didn't hear anything

It is just well known now that we are a selling club regarding any jewels we have and then buy on the cheap hoping to find another nugget. If Gao can see some cash coming in I'm sure he'll take it

Not looking good
Vestergaard on 15:02 - Apr 23 with 1867 viewskingslandstand1

Vestergaard on 13:27 - Apr 23 by SonicBoom

Definitely keep him. Even if for no other reason than it's a problem position for us and he's the best we have.
Bednarek's form looks shaky and frankly despite the comments I've seen Salisu appears unable to trap a wet bag of cement.

Salisu I don't think will be one of those nuggets I've just referred to. Yes he's young and inexperienced (though he is an international), but there were a few serious mistakes the other night that he was lucky did not prove to be expensive
Vestergaard on 16:37 - Apr 23 with 1806 viewsKennington

He alright. But still has made his fair share of errors and is a mainstay in an incredibly leaky back 4.

As I’ve mentioned for a while on here, unless the midfield is sorted, we could have Ramos and Laporte and still ship 40 odd goals a season. Not that we want to downgrade Vest but he’s not that special. Wonder what the goals conceded ratio is if you compare Vest and Stephens? Probably not that different. For the first time, I’m completely fine with any of this current squad leaving, as Ings aside they’re all replaceable. We have a very good championship team, which seems to be broadly where we’re heading unless things dramatically change with the way the club is being run. No point losing sleep over it, as until new owners come the club is stuck.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Vestergaard on 18:42 - Apr 23 with 1732 viewsBerber

Crikey, a season with Bednarek and Salisu as first picks? Gulp.
Vestergaard on 08:02 - Apr 24 with 1609 viewsHeisenberg

Can be replaced. If there is room in the taxi there are a few players he can take with him. Bertrand is past it and doesn’t seem interested. Djenepo isn’t good enough. Redmond turns it on 1 game in 10 and either keeper can go.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Vestergaard on 08:20 - Apr 24 with 1583 viewssaint22

Vestergaard on 08:02 - Apr 24 by Heisenberg

Can be replaced. If there is room in the taxi there are a few players he can take with him. Bertrand is past it and doesn’t seem interested. Djenepo isn’t good enough. Redmond turns it on 1 game in 10 and either keeper can go.

Agree with that entirely
That said our problem seems to be finding better than average replacements year in year out
Login to get fewer ads

Vestergaard on 09:03 - Apr 24 with 1544 viewscocklebreath

Vestergaard on 18:42 - Apr 23 by Berber

I like Salisu but Bednerek has been shite for ages

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Vestergaard on 10:12 - Apr 24 with 1498 viewskingslandstand1

Vestergaard on 18:42 - Apr 23 by Berber

We've also got Stephens don't forget
Vestergaard on 10:17 - Apr 24 with 1488 viewskingslandstand1

Vestergaard on 08:02 - Apr 24 by Heisenberg

Yes you are right, but this is Saints. As 22 has alluded to, where do the replacements come from? When was the last time we signed a proven Premiership player rather than some unknown (over here) who has a cv with promise and a good YouTube video but does not actually prove their worth

Yes we used to do that and had a reputation for producing these players (look at the Liverpool squad a couple of years ago), but that hasn't happened under the current regine
Vestergaard on 10:20 - Apr 24 with 1482 views1teeminants

Vestergaard on 15:02 - Apr 23 by kingslandstand1

Salisu I don't think will be one of those nuggets I've just referred to. Yes he's young and inexperienced (though he is an international), but there were a few serious mistakes the other night that he was lucky did not prove to be expensive

I predict Salisu will be a very good player in a couple of years , wanted by the big clubs. You can see he’s got it but just needs game time. He’s very young.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Vestergaard on 11:01 - Apr 24 with 1443 viewspjt50

Vestergaard on 10:17 - Apr 24 by kingslandstand1

Yes you are right, but this is Saints. As 22 has alluded to, where do the replacements come from? When was the last time we signed a proven Premiership player rather than some unknown (over here) who has a cv with promise and a good YouTube video but does not actually prove their worth

Yes we used to do that and had a reputation for producing these players (look at the Liverpool squad a couple of years ago), but that hasn't happened under the current regine

We simply can't afford to buy proven premier league players who are significantly better than the ones we've got. Even if we could, they're only likely to come to us when their careers are on the way down.

For the rest, every buy is a gamble. You just have to hope that more pay off than not. That's not just true for us. It's true for every club — even the big six. The Premier League is littered with expensive mistakes. Last summer's intake of KWP, Salisu & Diallo suggests that our recruitment is working pretty well at the moment.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Vestergaard on 12:15 - Apr 24 with 1407 viewsKennington

Vestergaard on 11:01 - Apr 24 by pjt50

We simply can't afford to buy proven premier league players who are significantly better than the ones we've got. Even if we could, they're only likely to come to us when their careers are on the way down.

For the rest, every buy is a gamble. You just have to hope that more pay off than not. That's not just true for us. It's true for every club — even the big six. The Premier League is littered with expensive mistakes. Last summer's intake of KWP, Salisu & Diallo suggests that our recruitment is working pretty well at the moment.

Question is why? We’ve been in the premier league since 2012, and since then have had the much talked about net spend title on numerous occasions. By now and bearing in mind the huge revenue we have received we should be far stronger financially. The commercial side of the club, doesn't really seem to have grown much either. Every few years there’s some link up with some American or Asian club or business but nothing really seems to happen. Wasn’t Krueger supposed to have been growing the club in North America? Arguably, Saints with their reputation of having an academy with a route to the first team should have done far better over the past 10 years. So, you’re right that we seemingly can’t buy regular premier league players but ten years on of being in the biggest greatest league in the world (apparently) we really should be able to.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Vestergaard on 13:04 - Apr 24 with 1375 viewskingslandstand1

Vestergaard on 11:01 - Apr 24 by pjt50

So why sell Vesty and Ings if we can't replace like for like? Surely if we spend a few bob to keep those players ut eill send a message that we have some ambition
Speculate to accumulate and all that but do what we can to keep our best players rather than just be a feeder club and that may also attract a buyer who may see a dividend for his/her investment
Otherwise we will again be more in the betting for relegation than for Europe
It may well be another interesting summer for us, just hooe positive interest
Vestergaard on 13:07 - Apr 24 with 1369 viewsbarry_sanchez

Flog him, lets get streaming you tube once again..............

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Vestergaard on 13:11 - Apr 24 with 1364 viewspjt50

Vestergaard on 12:15 - Apr 24 by Kennington

Question is why? We’ve been in the premier league since 2012, and since then have had the much talked about net spend title on numerous occasions. By now and bearing in mind the huge revenue we have received we should be far stronger financially. The commercial side of the club, doesn't really seem to have grown much either. Every few years there’s some link up with some American or Asian club or business but nothing really seems to happen. Wasn’t Krueger supposed to have been growing the club in North America? Arguably, Saints with their reputation of having an academy with a route to the first team should have done far better over the past 10 years. So, you’re right that we seemingly can’t buy regular premier league players but ten years on of being in the biggest greatest league in the world (apparently) we really should be able to.

Sadly we don't have some God-given right to be successful. How many teams outside the big six have had a longer unbroken run in the Premier League? Many “bigger” clubs than ours haven't managed it. If it was that easy they'd all be doing it.

Looking at the big picture, 10 years (assuming we make it) represents considerable success.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2021 13:35]

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Vestergaard on 13:23 - Apr 24 with 1338 viewspjt50

Vestergaard on 13:04 - Apr 24 by kingslandstand1

So why sell Vesty and Ings if we can't replace like for like? Surely if we spend a few bob to keep those players ut eill send a message that we have some ambition
Speculate to accumulate and all that but do what we can to keep our best players rather than just be a feeder club and that may also attract a buyer who may see a dividend for his/her investment
Otherwise we will again be more in the betting for relegation than for Europe
It may well be another interesting summer for us, just hooe positive interest

If they're leaving for monetary reasons, we'd have to break our wage structure - which would have a damaging effect on the rest of the squad. If they're leaving to win trophies, there's not a thing we can do about it.

Vestergaard on 13:40 - Apr 24 with 1312 viewsbarry_sanchez

Vestergaard on 13:23 - Apr 24 by pjt50

If they're leaving for monetary reasons, we'd have to break our wage structure - which would have a damaging effect on the rest of the squad. If they're leaving to win trophies, there's not a thing we can do about it.

By that what is the point of our club?

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Vestergaard on 13:51 - Apr 24 with 1294 viewspjt50

Vestergaard on 13:40 - Apr 24 by barry_sanchez

A bit too philosophical...

Vestergaard on 14:16 - Apr 24 with 1258 viewsbarry_sanchez

Vestergaard on 13:51 - Apr 24 by pjt50

A bit too philosophical...

Not really, if we're supposed to tread water in the top league beating the big boys now and again and getting a pat on the head from sky and others to justify their closed shop I'd rather we went down and had a laugh in the lower leagues, we win nothing and we're cannon fodder the teams that aspire to be in the champions league.

Vestergaard on 14:48 - Apr 24 with 1232 viewsSadoldgit

Vestergaard on 13:40 - Apr 24 by barry_sanchez

What is the point of any club? They all compete within certain limitations. Some have more limitations than others but that doesn’t mean they can’t make it to the top of the league with a bit of effort, if only for one week.
Vestergaard on 15:42 - Apr 24 with 1200 viewsbarry_sanchez

Vestergaard on 14:48 - Apr 24 by Sadoldgit

What is the point of any club? They all compete within certain limitations. Some have more limitations than others but that doesn’t mean they can’t make it to the top of the league with a bit of effort, if only for one week.

We haven't been competing have we? We've been shite, I know your a soft lib clapper but the reality is we're shite Poirot, maybe the woke a web is the one for you, the echo chamber that still thinks we're the bestest and you can't be negative as its a too harsh of a reality. Try that poppit.

Vestergaard on 15:55 - Apr 24 with 1197 viewsSadoldgit

Vestergaard on 15:42 - Apr 24 by barry_sanchez

We haven't been competing have we? We've been shite, I know your a soft lib clapper but the reality is we're shite Poirot, maybe the woke a web is the one for you, the echo chamber that still thinks we're the bestest and you can't be negative as its a too harsh of a reality. Try that poppit.

But year after year you whinge about us being shite. So why keep putting yourself through it? Are you a masochist?
Vestergaard on 16:07 - Apr 24 with 1191 viewsbarry_sanchez

Vestergaard on 15:55 - Apr 24 by Sadoldgit

But year after year you whinge about us being shite. So why keep putting yourself through it? Are you a masochist?

Are we shite?
Yes
Am I a masochist? No just someone who is giving an opinion about the club they support and love, hating the players at being shit is irrelevant, shit they'd probably tell you they're shit, I support the badge and City, not the crap players and owners. They'll come and go. Hopefully go.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024