Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year 11:05 - Aug 1 with 1484 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/58104/saints-squad-in-be

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 11:33 - Aug 1 with 1440 viewsButty101

I do love your optimism. I know you should have a bit at the beginning of the season, but its going to be a season of struggle but not relegation.

I think losing Fraser makes us weaker defensively. He form was good enough to get a recall to England squad. His age isnt really an issue for a goalkeeper. His experience will be a miss.

I like the look of Aribo, Rangers fans appear gutted hes going.

I dont know how you can say Sekou Mara should be able to replace Brojas goals. If it was that easy Adam Armstong would have done it last season. This was a guy knocking the in for fun the season before.

I dont think Ralph can improve the defence. Since hes been here, we have conceded 195 goals in his 3 full seasons.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 11:51 - Aug 1 with 1406 viewsSaintNick

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 11:33 - Aug 1 by Butty101

I do love your optimism. I know you should have a bit at the beginning of the season, but its going to be a season of struggle but not relegation.

I think losing Fraser makes us weaker defensively. He form was good enough to get a recall to England squad. His age isnt really an issue for a goalkeeper. His experience will be a miss.

I like the look of Aribo, Rangers fans appear gutted hes going.

I dont know how you can say Sekou Mara should be able to replace Brojas goals. If it was that easy Adam Armstong would have done it last season. This was a guy knocking the in for fun the season before.

I dont think Ralph can improve the defence. Since hes been here, we have conceded 195 goals in his 3 full seasons.

I do love your pessimism !!

Forster did well last season but he is not one for the future, lets not pretend though his form was good enough for a recall to the England squad, he got in because several keepers had dropped out and he was about 6th in line.

I can easily say Mara could replace Broja's goals, if Broja had hit 12 then perhaps he might struggle to do so, but he scored 6, a few seasons back Nathan Redmond used to get stick for only scoring that amount from midfield.

Mara hasn't got to do too mcuh to hit 6 goals this season .

Adam Armstrong last season scored a goal every 700 minutes in the Premier League for us, Broja scored once every 330 minutes.

Armstrong hits hits 4 he isn't too far off Broja's strike rate, that's not too difficult a task.

I think Hasenhuttl can improve the defence from the point of view it cant get much worse, Bella -Kotchap has to be a better option than either Stephens or Lyanco, so just by bringing him in we have improved, the question is by how much, I have been quite clear on what i think we need to do to truly improve it though and Ralph doesn't seem to agree with that

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:08 - Aug 1 with 1395 viewsdirk_doone

I'd say we are still a goalscoring striker short of having a better squad than last season. Fulham drew with Villarreal with a goal from Mitrovic. We lost to them partly because we didn't have a goalscoring striker like him. Let's hope the rumours that we are about to buy one are true.

It is a shame that the spectre of Alex McCarthy still looms over us. We should have got rid of him by now. I wouldn't put it past Ralph to pick him for at least some first team games this season and that's going to cost us.

Finally, I don't think we have the high quality defenders you need to play 3 at the back, which seems to be Ralph's preferred formation this season. The left flank in particular looks a mess.

So, we have to hope that Ralph realizes the error of his ways soon after everyone else has and A/ never plays McCarthy again and B/ reverts to playing 4 at the back.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 12:09]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:32 - Aug 1 with 1350 viewsButty101

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 11:51 - Aug 1 by SaintNick

I do love your pessimism !!

Forster did well last season but he is not one for the future, lets not pretend though his form was good enough for a recall to the England squad, he got in because several keepers had dropped out and he was about 6th in line.

I can easily say Mara could replace Broja's goals, if Broja had hit 12 then perhaps he might struggle to do so, but he scored 6, a few seasons back Nathan Redmond used to get stick for only scoring that amount from midfield.

Mara hasn't got to do too mcuh to hit 6 goals this season .

Adam Armstrong last season scored a goal every 700 minutes in the Premier League for us, Broja scored once every 330 minutes.

Armstrong hits hits 4 he isn't too far off Broja's strike rate, that's not too difficult a task.

I think Hasenhuttl can improve the defence from the point of view it cant get much worse, Bella -Kotchap has to be a better option than either Stephens or Lyanco, so just by bringing him in we have improved, the question is by how much, I have been quite clear on what i think we need to do to truly improve it though and Ralph doesn't seem to agree with that

You really believe some totally unheard of youngster from France will easily replace Brojas goals. He looked a bit green on saturday from the clips i saw. My point was we signed Armstrong who came to us in great form but only managed 2 goals. So theres nothing easy about it.

Similarly why does Bella -Kotchap (Bottle of Ketchup :-) ) have to be a better option? Because we paid 10mill and scouted him? Im sure we scouted Lyanco but even stevie wonder could see he was never going to be the answer.

The evidence suggests Ralph cant sort the defence. I assume he dosent want an experienced defender and its not the club refusing to get one.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:42 - Aug 1 with 1329 viewsSonicBoom

If you can't be optimistic before a ball is kicked then perhaps you are just not an optimistic person.
Broadly I agree with Nick the easiest way to improve would be to let fewer goals in. Hopefully the new coaching staff can help Ralph finally do that.
I also agree that certain player like Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Redmond and Stuart Armstrong need to look at themselves. Between them there should be something like 10-15 goals. Not 2. So with a more positive attitude and approach we could see a decent improvement there as they really should be capable. Oh and Adam Armstrong really should be capable of more than 2.
Mara must have some talent and it will be interesting to see how he develops. As Nick said, it's not inconceivable that he could match Broja's 6 goals. And there is the new striker - whoever that may be. You would hope he is going to be good for at least 8 or 9.

If we do manage to land a striker and a strong centre back that would be a great start.
Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:55 - Aug 1 with 1310 viewsdirk_doone

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:42 - Aug 1 by SonicBoom

If you can't be optimistic before a ball is kicked then perhaps you are just not an optimistic person.
Broadly I agree with Nick the easiest way to improve would be to let fewer goals in. Hopefully the new coaching staff can help Ralph finally do that.
I also agree that certain player like Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Redmond and Stuart Armstrong need to look at themselves. Between them there should be something like 10-15 goals. Not 2. So with a more positive attitude and approach we could see a decent improvement there as they really should be capable. Oh and Adam Armstrong really should be capable of more than 2.
Mara must have some talent and it will be interesting to see how he develops. As Nick said, it's not inconceivable that he could match Broja's 6 goals. And there is the new striker - whoever that may be. You would hope he is going to be good for at least 8 or 9.

If we do manage to land a striker and a strong centre back that would be a great start.

Aribo should give us more goals from midfield.

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 13:14 - Aug 1 with 1286 viewsSaintNick

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:32 - Aug 1 by Butty101

You really believe some totally unheard of youngster from France will easily replace Brojas goals. He looked a bit green on saturday from the clips i saw. My point was we signed Armstrong who came to us in great form but only managed 2 goals. So theres nothing easy about it.

Similarly why does Bella -Kotchap (Bottle of Ketchup :-) ) have to be a better option? Because we paid 10mill and scouted him? Im sure we scouted Lyanco but even stevie wonder could see he was never going to be the answer.

The evidence suggests Ralph cant sort the defence. I assume he dosent want an experienced defender and its not the club refusing to get one.

As opposed to an unheard of youngster from Slough !

Armstrong scored in the Championship he struggled to get the pace of of the game in the Premier League and as he was starting to, Broja hit form.

Broja didn't score till in the Premier League till the 8th League game of the season, his 5th appearance for the club so his success wasn't instantaneous, so Mara coming in and not being an immediate hit isn't strange.

As I keep saying 6 goals is not a big target for him to get.

I didn't actually say he was a better option than what we had, I haven't seen enough of him yet, but the fact that we have one more option than last season does mean that the defence is stronger due to quantity.

I don't know why Ralph hasn't signed an experienced defender, perhaps someone going to the fans forum can ask him that one

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 15:18 - Aug 1 with 1189 viewsSaintsforeverj

We are in better shape in terms of quantity perhaps. However Nick, although we have 35 midfielders, we only have 4 strikers, 3 of them from last year who couldn't score more than about 10 between them. One unknown new youngster up front and one unknown new youngster in what is otherwise the same defence as last year that conceded a hatful in most games. I'd rather swap five of those players for 2 real quality, effective players that will actually make the difference. I'm not convinced but we shall see.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Login to get fewer ads

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 15:49 - Aug 1 with 1165 viewssaint68

Couldn't defend or keep a clean sheet most of last season ..nothing as of yet to say that's changed or improved.

Midfield looks stronger on paper.

Goal threats?????

Manager fukin clueless

The futures not burning bright by any stretch of the imagination.

Sack the clown and things will improve markedly

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 18:19 - Aug 1 with 1094 viewsTripleNiemi

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 15:49 - Aug 1 by saint68

Couldn't defend or keep a clean sheet most of last season ..nothing as of yet to say that's changed or improved.

Midfield looks stronger on paper.

Goal threats?????

Manager fukin clueless

The futures not burning bright by any stretch of the imagination.

Sack the clown and things will improve markedly

Bold is Brave sir........sacking the manager?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 20:45 - Aug 1 with 1022 views1teeminants

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:42 - Aug 1 by SonicBoom

After the Villarreal game Maybe Ralph is now thinking of playing Aribo up front which would probably mean he isn’t going to bother with signing another striker. I know he sometimes played there for Rangers and he scored in their recent final in Europe .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 00:18 - Aug 2 with 929 viewsDorsetIan

We can judge the ‚squad‘ when we’ve seen the new players in action in the premier league. Absolutely pointless trying to judge it now.

And regardless of the quality of the squad, let’s see if the manager (and his new coaching staff) can (1) deliver a team that can hold a lead and (2) not go on a long run of consecutive defeats like we have in the last two seasons.

The end of last season was appalling. Making sure that we don’t continue as we left off is the first priority.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 16:41 - Aug 6 with 692 viewsdirk_doone

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 12:08 - Aug 1 by dirk_doone

I'd say we are still a goalscoring striker short of having a better squad than last season. Fulham drew with Villarreal with a goal from Mitrovic. We lost to them partly because we didn't have a goalscoring striker like him. Let's hope the rumours that we are about to buy one are true.

It is a shame that the spectre of Alex McCarthy still looms over us. We should have got rid of him by now. I wouldn't put it past Ralph to pick him for at least some first team games this season and that's going to cost us.

Finally, I don't think we have the high quality defenders you need to play 3 at the back, which seems to be Ralph's preferred formation this season. The left flank in particular looks a mess.

So, we have to hope that Ralph realizes the error of his ways soon after everyone else has and A/ never plays McCarthy again and B/ reverts to playing 4 at the back.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2022 12:09]

Todays' performance doesn't really come as a surprise, does it? 3 at the back was always going to be a disaster with our limited defenders.

I hope that Bazunu's confidence isn't shattered too much early in the season, as I think he's a promising young goalkeeper. We don't want to be reduced to playing McCarthy in goal again. Such a pity that we couldn't keep Forster and Broja.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 16:43]

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 16:43 - Aug 6 with 687 viewsDorsetIan

Saints Squad In Better Shape Than This Time Last Year on 16:41 - Aug 6 by dirk_doone

Todays' performance doesn't really come as a surprise, does it? 3 at the back was always going to be a disaster with our limited defenders.

I hope that Bazunu's confidence isn't shattered too much early in the season, as I think he's a promising young goalkeeper. We don't want to be reduced to playing McCarthy in goal again. Such a pity that we couldn't keep Forster and Broja.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 16:43]

But the squad’s in better shape, Dirk, don’t forget that...

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024