Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate 16:30 - Dec 12 with 4001 viewsDr_Parnassus

Has taken another step in our direction recently and gone relatively unnoticed.

I just looked up the all time football league table, and it seems in recent times we have now overtaken them.

Swansea are 55th

Cardiff are 58th

Both based on 96 seasons in total.

http://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/stats/totals.html

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 16:02 - Dec 14 with 876 views1983

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 16:31 - Dec 13 by KeithHaynes

Hearts and Hibs in Edinburgh tho ?

I think you can safely say Scotland is the exception different gravy up there

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 18:07 - Dec 14 with 836 viewsKeithHaynes

We can add the premier league to the docs stats in the OP.

The list is endless. Apart from empty seats.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 20:32 - Dec 14 with 792 viewsCatullus

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 09:14 - Dec 13 by 1983

Whether we like it or not cardiff city will sometimes been seen as the bigger club by the casual observer simply because of its capital status but apart from that that's it but in recent years they are more seen as a basket case of a club

Unhinged owner
Building a stadium way too big for themselves in a MK Dons kind of way
Playing in red
Terrible Premiership campaigns
Sala and all that brings

There are plenty of things where bigger means better but football isn't always like that.

Cardiff get bigger crowds in their bigger stadium BUT we are the better club, I'll always take being better.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 21:56 - Dec 14 with 762 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 20:32 - Dec 14 by Catullus

There are plenty of things where bigger means better but football isn't always like that.

Cardiff get bigger crowds in their bigger stadium BUT we are the better club, I'll always take being better.

They are not bigger at any level.

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 22:07 - Dec 14 with 750 viewsTim_Harry

I'd say that the debate over who is the biggest club in South Wales is probably an extremely pointless one. A bit like two bald men fighting over a comb!

If we're to be fair and objective then Cardiff may have a slight advantage. They have a bigger stadium, a better history and a bigger fanbase. But the differences are so small that it's barely worth arguing over.

As for the stadium; it only really matters if they can fill it. Which they can't. Far from it. Cardiff are one of a few clubs who have a stadium that's embarrassingly big for their fanbase. Just like Wigan and MK Dons. If both clubs became Premier League regulars then the difference in income would be tiny compared to TV money etc. Outside the Prem it doesn't really matter. Cardiff currently have an average attendance that is roughly 1,500 better than ours. Barely enough to cover the extortionate interest rates that their owners are charging them for loans!

History doesn't mean much. It just proves how big a club used to be. Cardiff used to be a big club in the 20s and 50s. Blackpool had the first ever Ballon D'or winner in the 50s. Does that make them a big club now? Of course not! Bury won the FA Cup twice two decades before Cardiff did, yet I don't think anyone alive today has ever considered them to be in any way big.

As for things that matter, more arguments work in our favour.

Modern history is well and truly in our favour. I watched my first Swans game in 1981. I've seen the Swans play nine seasons in the top flight. I've seen us win a major trophy and I've seen us beat the best clubs in the country, and some in Europe, so many times I can barely remember who we've beat and who we haven't. Although I've seen us beat all of the best in this country!

A Cardiff fan my age will have seen two relegation seasons in the top flight and no major trophies.

Would I swap histories if I could?

Only if I preferred history books and grainy Pathe News footage over real life experience!

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 23:48 - Dec 14 with 704 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 22:07 - Dec 14 by Tim_Harry

I'd say that the debate over who is the biggest club in South Wales is probably an extremely pointless one. A bit like two bald men fighting over a comb!

If we're to be fair and objective then Cardiff may have a slight advantage. They have a bigger stadium, a better history and a bigger fanbase. But the differences are so small that it's barely worth arguing over.

As for the stadium; it only really matters if they can fill it. Which they can't. Far from it. Cardiff are one of a few clubs who have a stadium that's embarrassingly big for their fanbase. Just like Wigan and MK Dons. If both clubs became Premier League regulars then the difference in income would be tiny compared to TV money etc. Outside the Prem it doesn't really matter. Cardiff currently have an average attendance that is roughly 1,500 better than ours. Barely enough to cover the extortionate interest rates that their owners are charging them for loans!

History doesn't mean much. It just proves how big a club used to be. Cardiff used to be a big club in the 20s and 50s. Blackpool had the first ever Ballon D'or winner in the 50s. Does that make them a big club now? Of course not! Bury won the FA Cup twice two decades before Cardiff did, yet I don't think anyone alive today has ever considered them to be in any way big.

As for things that matter, more arguments work in our favour.

Modern history is well and truly in our favour. I watched my first Swans game in 1981. I've seen the Swans play nine seasons in the top flight. I've seen us win a major trophy and I've seen us beat the best clubs in the country, and some in Europe, so many times I can barely remember who we've beat and who we haven't. Although I've seen us beat all of the best in this country!

A Cardiff fan my age will have seen two relegation seasons in the top flight and no major trophies.

Would I swap histories if I could?

Only if I preferred history books and grainy Pathe News footage over real life experience!

Brilliantly put.

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 14:24 - Dec 15 with 620 viewstrampie

They have still spent more time in the top two divisions than us, although the Swans have been better than the bluebirds in recent decades.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 18:30 - Dec 15 with 580 viewsbennytheblue

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 21:56 - Dec 14 by KeithHaynes

They are not bigger at any level.

Oh keith…..what about the concourse eh?
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea v Cardiff - biggest club debate on 18:54 - Dec 15 with 548 viewsTreforys_Jack

The way Cardiff has been run is nothing short of a disgrace.............. thankfully.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024