Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quandary 12:34 - Nov 6 with 8468 viewskingsburyR

Afternoon All,

I have somewhat of a dilemma.

I have mentioned on here a few times that regardless of the dirge QPR serve up at home my 10 year football mad daughter still loves heading down to HQ to watch the games.

She has now dropped the bombshell....."Dad, can you take me to an away match please? Is the singing better? Will I be able to see if everyone is standing up?"

I already manage her football team on a Saturday morning. Do I now have to trapse around the country if the bug bites.........which I think it will???

All advice welcomed!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Quandary on 09:02 - Nov 7 with 1902 viewsdaveB

Quandary on 08:56 - Nov 7 by stowmarketrange

It makes me wonder how bigger teams with totally full away ends cope with the problem?
If you 5k Man Utd or Arsenal fans at away games there must be more kids or older people than we get in our 1000-1500 average away crowds.
And how far up the stand does it become the norm to stand up for the whole game?Like you,I move straight to the back row of an away stand because I prefer to stand up for the 90 minutes rather than sit down,but you do get fans who insist on sitting in their designated seat,even if it’s towards the back where the majority want to stand up.
The box office should be able to adapt to personal tickets sales but it would be difficult to apply for online sales.

My daughter used to enjoy away games more than the home ones,especially the Everton 1-0 win in 2011,and she was only 9 1/2,but she discovered boys at 16 and fell by the wayside,so as an earlier poster said,enjoy it while you go,but don’t try to use the food bars or toilets at ht.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 9:00]

I get that you want to stand at the back but the people who want to sit/stand in the seat on their ticket are not the bad guys in this and quite possibly they want to sit/stand at the back as well but have to move because you have 2/3 people to every seat in the back few rows
Quandary on 09:19 - Nov 7 with 1862 viewsessextaxiboy

Quandary on 09:02 - Nov 7 by daveB

I get that you want to stand at the back but the people who want to sit/stand in the seat on their ticket are not the bad guys in this and quite possibly they want to sit/stand at the back as well but have to move because you have 2/3 people to every seat in the back few rows

… now imagine this conversation when one or possibly both are either pissed or coked up .

With a 10 year old in an adjacent seat
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 9:22]
Quandary on 09:58 - Nov 7 with 1827 viewsChrisNW6

Quandary on 13:50 - Nov 6 by kingsburyR

I'm looking at the Norwich game as a starting point.

I haven't been away in years. Is it sit where you want or are seats allocated on purchase?

I might be wrong but it looks like Rail replacement buses are in place for Norwich so driving might be the better option.
Quandary on 10:05 - Nov 7 with 1820 viewsDieByYourSide

Quandary on 18:00 - Nov 6 by essextaxiboy

In my very limited recent experience , yes it is .

My last out of London away game was Peterborough and it was fcking horrible . Little groups of yoof surrounding home fans having a quiet pint in a pub garden in their face goading them . Loads of people taking coke on the concourse and in the toilets , demanding that you agreed with them that the team were shit before they would let you have a piss in peace . Train home was like a cattle truck , I spent the journey rammed into a luggage rack while bottles of wine and wraps of coke were passed around and over me . I was wearing a mask as my Mum was in the middle of chemo, started to get intimidated by a group who made me the topic of conversation .

I used to go away on my own in the 70s when it could be very violent , but never felt as uncomfortable as I did at Peterborough. Maybe i am less confident these days .

It will be a while before I attend an away game outside London where i can pick my own pre match route and a nice pub .

I know that the demographic changes for say a Tues night in Huddersfield , respect to those who can invest the time and money to do that . They deserve their loyalty points .

Could be wrong but think that Peterborough game was a very specific set of circumstances.

Pent up energy and people looking for a release after Covid. 4,000 of us travelling in high spirits confident of making the playoffs. The standard QPR thing of using the rare chance of feeling like the big boys to try to intimidate the smaller team.

Was definitely a thuggish vibe to it and think it got upgraded to a Category A fixture which brings similar policing levels to Millwall etc.

Not sure if the FA Cup game later in the season was similar.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Quandary on 14:14 - Nov 7 with 1701 viewsstowmarketrange

Quandary on 10:05 - Nov 7 by DieByYourSide

Could be wrong but think that Peterborough game was a very specific set of circumstances.

Pent up energy and people looking for a release after Covid. 4,000 of us travelling in high spirits confident of making the playoffs. The standard QPR thing of using the rare chance of feeling like the big boys to try to intimidate the smaller team.

Was definitely a thuggish vibe to it and think it got upgraded to a Category A fixture which brings similar policing levels to Millwall etc.

Not sure if the FA Cup game later in the season was similar.

It was.
Quandary on 14:17 - Nov 7 with 1695 viewsstowmarketrange

I’m not saying either way is right,but it takes a bit of cooperation on all sides,and we seem to have a few more problems with it than certain other teams do.
Quandary on 21:03 - Nov 7 with 1591 viewsstowmarketrange

Quandary on 09:58 - Nov 7 by ChrisNW6

I might be wrong but it looks like Rail replacement buses are in place for Norwich so driving might be the better option.

It is a bus service between billericay and Witham in both directions.They are so clever to allow engineering works with up to 1000 extra passengers all trying to get on a couple of coaches.
You can’t even go via Cambridge as there’s a bus replacement service between Royston and Cambridge in both directions.Fecking idiots.
The only way you can avoid the nightmare of buses is by going via Peterborough,which takes 2 1/2 hours,but at least you’re on trains all the way.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 21:06]
Quandary on 21:34 - Nov 7 with 1573 viewsOldPedro

If we've sold lots of tickets, I'll always start in my allocated seat but if we haven't (and most of the games I go to are up north, so usually lots of room), then I tend to find a seat about half way up the stand. If someone comes along and I'm in their allocated seat, then I just move.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Quandary on 22:14 - Nov 7 with 1546 viewsdaveB

Quandary on 09:19 - Nov 7 by essextaxiboy

… now imagine this conversation when one or possibly both are either pissed or coked up .

With a 10 year old in an adjacent seat
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 9:22]

I had that joy a few years ago being told to f off and sit down the front as I had my son with me. Thankfully his mates called him out told him to shut up and was all fine after that
Quandary on 10:37 - Nov 8 with 1461 viewskingsburyR

Much appreciated fella.

I know as soon as she gets a taster away days will be requested regularly.

I'm going to call the box office today to see if they can sit us nearer the front and Ill drive up.

Thanks again. You can always rely on this site for sensible information.

You' R'sssssssssss

Quandary on 16:03 - Nov 8 with 1398 viewskingsburyR

30 mins on hold trying to get through to the box office an hour ago without anyone picking up.

Great service.

Nice to have an early day once in a while it appears.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Quandary on 12:09 - Nov 15 with 1240 viewskingsburyR

Just got my tickets through and junior KR is beside herself with excitement.

Row GG which I hope (I spoke with the box office) is somewhere near the front.

One last question from me. Is the ground within walking distance from the city centre and where best to park for a long period of the day so we can get some lunch and have a walk around?

Thanks again everyone. Your advice was appreciated.

You R'sssssssssss

KR

Quandary on 12:44 - Nov 15 with 1170 viewsdaveB

Quandary on 12:09 - Nov 15 by kingsburyR

One last question from me. Is the ground within walking distance from the city centre and where best to park for a long period of the day so we can get some lunch and have a walk around?

You R'sssssssssss

KR

Which one are you doing is it Norwich?

It is walkable from Norwich train station which is pretty much in the town centre I think
There is a Premier Inn opposite the station which does food when you walk towards the ground a lot of places like Frankie & Bennies etc but you need to book in advance on a match day

I don't drive to games but this website might help for parking

https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/carrow-road-norwich

The ground is well signposted from the A11 and A47. From the southern bypass (A47) take the A146 into the city. At the traffic lights turn right towards the city centre on the A1054. At the next roundabout stay in the left-hand lane and continue towards the city centre along the A147. At the next set of traffic lights, turn right into King Street. This street as it bends around to the right and crosses the river becomes Carrow Road, the ground is further down on the right.

Car Parking

David Clarke informs me that ‘The best car park for away fans is Norfolk County Hall, which is well signposted on the left of the A146, as you follow signs towards the ground from the Southern Bypass. It is currently £8 and can hold about 2000 cars, and does usually fill up by 2pm for games where the away team bring loads of fans’. After the match the car park is well marshalled with two streams of cars exiting it, so normally you are not held up for too long. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near Carrow Road via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

After the game has ended some roads are closed to allow the crowd to disperse quickly and safely. For details of precisely which roads are closed, visit the Norwich City Council website.

Post Code for SAT NAV: NR1 1JE
Quandary on 13:04 - Nov 15 with 1128 viewsterryb

The ground is on the edge of the City centre & very close to retail parks that will include some of the usual food outlets.

I've not driven there for over ten years, so this might be out of date, but the council offices car park is (from memory) a 15 minute walk to the ground & has lots of spaces. It can take a very long time to get out of it though! When I last used it, It took over an hour! Not good when you've lost!

I'm just below you in Row FF, which I think is about half way up & preferable to the rows at the front. At least, for us! I suspect you will be able to move lower down if the need arises.

I hope you both enjoy yourselves.
Quandary on 13:37 - Nov 15 with 1095 viewslosethedrum

From the Norwich ticket website plan i make row GG 8 rows from the back of the stand as the plan shows row A to Z & then from AA to NN .
I went in the box office on saturday & asked for a ticket high up but was told they had to sell them as they came , so maybe the option to pick & choose your seat for away games from a plan on the website is an idea for the next fans forum as i know Watford offer this option .
Your seats will have a very good view & a chance to look over the stand opposite for a view of part of the city as the other stand is not as high .
I hope you have a good day & well done for making the journey that i make for every home game albeit in reverse order .
Quandary on 14:27 - Nov 15 with 999 viewsWatford_Ranger

Quandary on 12:09 - Nov 15 by kingsburyR

You R'sssssssssss

KR

I parked in a multi-storey thing as advised on the Football Ground Guide for the midweek game last season and it took forever to get out despite being well away from the ground.

Ended up drinking in a bowling alley before no more than ten mins walk away which did fast food stuff so could be a good way to kill an hour before.
Quandary on 23:27 - Nov 25 with 695 viewskingsburyR

Such a brilliant day out.

Jess has now bought in to the away day experience and learnt some new words to boot!!!

Shame we couldn't hit a barn door.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024