Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your Away Day! 15:11 - Oct 28 with 4750 viewsSeasideShrimper

Southend fan here, in peace.

There are no rail works going on at the moment, so those of you travelling by train should get to Prittlewell station with ease.

Alternatively, if you get the train right through to Southend Victoria, this provides easier access to the town centre, should you need or want to grab a bite to eat.

Parking: if you aren't travelling by train, it is mainly street parking near the ground, although you are able to park in "The Victoria" shopping centre car park (which is located near Southend Victoria train station). Southend High School for Boys also provides parking.

Lunch: It is roughly a 15 minute walk from the ground to the high street (town centre), if you wanted to go to the seafront or the high street itself. There are two McDonalds, a KFC & a Burger King in the high street. However, there is a fish & chip shop right near the ground, opposite the estate agents (near the church entrance).

Drinking: There are two pubs close to the ground, (both are under 5 minutes walk away from the ground). These are The Blue Boar & The Spread Eagle. The Blue Boar is for away fans only on match day, so this pub will be your base up until kick-off. The Spread Eagle is for home fans only on match days. If travelling by train, "The Railway" pub near the exit of Prittlewell station (I think) is open for away fans as well as home fans.

If you wish to know anything else, I'm more than happy to help.

Safe trip to all who are coming down here for the game.
Your Away Day! on 15:21 - Oct 28 with 4724 viewsFatCat

As I live less than an hour from Southend I'll be going for sure.
Thanks for the tip on the Blue Boar.

Forgot to ask:
How busy does Prittlewell station get after a game?
Not sure if I'll drive or get the train yet.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2015 15:40]
Your Away Day! on 15:39 - Oct 28 with 4678 viewsD_Alien

Thanks for the general info SeasideShrimper - I'm sure it's welcome.

Just one point though. I note the Spread Eagle does a range of cask ales, whereas the Blue Boar doesn't. Both being public houses and this being England, it's a matter of personal choice if a real ale drinker from Rochdale chooses to have a quiet drink in the Spread Eagle. Thanks.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Your Away Day! on 15:44 - Oct 28 with 4654 viewsSeasideShrimper

Your Away Day! on 15:39 - Oct 28 by D_Alien

Thanks for the general info SeasideShrimper - I'm sure it's welcome.

Just one point though. I note the Spread Eagle does a range of cask ales, whereas the Blue Boar doesn't. Both being public houses and this being England, it's a matter of personal choice if a real ale drinker from Rochdale chooses to have a quiet drink in the Spread Eagle. Thanks.

Unfortunately, you'll have to prove you are a Southend fan in order to get into the Spread Eagle.

They doormen at "The Spread" check match tickets along with what shirt/scarf/hat you are wearing. You can thank the mob who caused trouble outside the Spread before our game with Cambridge last season.

Before then, it was open to both sets of fans.
Your Away Day! on 15:46 - Oct 28 with 4647 viewsaleanddale

Southend have two McDonalds in the town centre and we don't have any

Cheers for the info.. Congrats on finding your feet so quickly in league 1.
Your Away Day! on 15:49 - Oct 28 with 4624 viewsD_Alien

Your Away Day! on 15:44 - Oct 28 by SeasideShrimper

Unfortunately, you'll have to prove you are a Southend fan in order to get into the Spread Eagle.

They doormen at "The Spread" check match tickets along with what shirt/scarf/hat you are wearing. You can thank the mob who caused trouble outside the Spread before our game with Cambridge last season.

Before then, it was open to both sets of fans.

Fair enough, at least that clarifies the situation.

It's a discussion I've had before on this messageboard, and if there's an actual barrier to away fans it's always worth clarifying, otherwise it's just being treated like sheep.

Thanks again.

[Post edited 28 Oct 2015 15:50]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Your Away Day! on 15:52 - Oct 28 with 4603 viewsSeasideShrimper

Your Away Day! on 15:46 - Oct 28 by aleanddale

Southend have two McDonalds in the town centre and we don't have any

Cheers for the info.. Congrats on finding your feet so quickly in league 1.

For the record, there is also a McDonalds at Southend Airport/Industrial estate next to the airport!

This, however is a 20-30 minute walk from the ground.

And no worries, i'm more than happy to help. and cheers! I thought we'd be bottom half. Didn't expect us to be in the top half at this stage, let alone just outside the playoffs!
Your Away Day! on 16:11 - Oct 28 with 4543 viewsfitzochris

Your Away Day! on 15:52 - Oct 28 by SeasideShrimper

For the record, there is also a McDonalds at Southend Airport/Industrial estate next to the airport!

And no worries, i'm more than happy to help. and cheers! I thought we'd be bottom half. Didn't expect us to be in the top half at this stage, let alone just outside the playoffs!

Our retail parks and industrial estates are sorted for McDonalds.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Your Away Day! on 16:13 - Oct 28 with 4537 viewsDaleiLama

Maybe they'll apply for planning permission to put one in next to Rochdale airport?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

Your Away Day! on 16:26 - Oct 28 with 4488 viewsaleanddale

Only town centre high streets count shrimper!!

It's a private (ish ) joke.
Your Away Day! on 21:06 - Oct 28 with 4169 viewsValleySaddler

Is the Foresters still going on the Sea Front.
Does the pre match entertainment still work on the basis of the more pound coins put in the glass the better the show???
Your Away Day! on 10:35 - Oct 29 with 3870 viewsSeasideShrimper

I believe so, that'll be the pub near Kursaal Bowling. (The Foresters Arms)

If anyone is down here for the weekend, there's a few things to keep you busy...theme park (Adventure Island), crazy golf, the pier, etc.

Adventure Island is quite pricey, but it's more than worth it. A whole range of rides for kids along with 5 rollercoasters (one of which is a kids coaster)

What a way to recover from a defeat, eh?!

Seriously though, i reckon it'll be a draw, but if either team wins, it will only be by one goal.
Your Away Day! on 07:50 - Oct 30 with 3662 viewsSeasideShrimper

Before tomorrow, is there anything else anyone needs/wants to know?

Like me, if you collect pin badges from each ground you go to, our club shop sells them. I think £3 each, same price as the matchday programme.

Yes, I do have a Rochdale badge!
Your Away Day! on 09:01 - Oct 30 with 3609 viewschip_n_dale

Your Away Day! on 07:50 - Oct 30 by SeasideShrimper

Before tomorrow, is there anything else anyone needs/wants to know?

Like me, if you collect pin badges from each ground you go to, our club shop sells them. I think £3 each, same price as the matchday programme.

Yes, I do have a Rochdale badge!

Does the train get really busy post match out of Prittlewell to London?

Also whats the food like in the ground?
Your Away Day! on 10:45 - Oct 30 with 3545 viewsSeasideShrimper

Your Away Day! on 09:01 - Oct 30 by chip_n_dale

Does the train get really busy post match out of Prittlewell to London?

Also whats the food like in the ground?

The train should be okay, can't see it being too busy. Here is a link to the train times departing from Prittlewell, terminating at Liverpool Street:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/PRL/LST/tomorrow/1715/dep

Food in the ground isn't too bad to be honest, but its up to you. I'd personally go to The Fish House (opposite the Blue Boar on the left - yellow sign - If you're coming down by train, which I assume you are, you'll end up walking past The Fish House anyway) or one of the fast food restaurants in the town centre. There's also a McDonalds at Liverpool Street (Last Season's Wembley memories!...)
[Post edited 30 Oct 2015 12:32]
Your Away Day! on 12:05 - Oct 30 with 3476 viewsValleySaddler

Your Away Day! on 10:35 - Oct 29 by SeasideShrimper

I believe so, that'll be the pub near Kursaal Bowling. (The Foresters Arms)

If anyone is down here for the weekend, there's a few things to keep you busy...theme park (Adventure Island), crazy golf, the pier, etc.

Adventure Island is quite pricey, but it's more than worth it. A whole range of rides for kids along with 5 rollercoasters (one of which is a kids coaster)

What a way to recover from a defeat, eh?!

Seriously though, i reckon it'll be a draw, but if either team wins, it will only be by one goal.

Appreciate that,

Many Thanks
Your Away Day! on 12:41 - Oct 30 with 3406 viewschip_n_dale

Your Away Day! on 10:45 - Oct 30 by SeasideShrimper

The train should be okay, can't see it being too busy. Here is a link to the train times departing from Prittlewell, terminating at Liverpool Street:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/PRL/LST/tomorrow/1715/dep

Food in the ground isn't too bad to be honest, but its up to you. I'd personally go to The Fish House (opposite the Blue Boar on the left - yellow sign - If you're coming down by train, which I assume you are, you'll end up walking past The Fish House anyway) or one of the fast food restaurants in the town centre. There's also a McDonalds at Liverpool Street (Last Season's Wembley memories!...)
[Post edited 30 Oct 2015 12:32]

Thanks a lot SeasideShrimper appreciate your help hopefully it'll be nice weather and I can enjoy some fish and chips! (oh and the football)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024