Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Redundancy / employment advice help needed 23:13 - Aug 7 with 3943 viewstommytanker

Evening all, I have a query which I am hoping someone on here will be able to help me with. My daughter is a hairdresser and has worked at the same salon since she was 16 (10 years). She has a meeting on Saturday when we expect the salon will be shut with her being made redundant. Unfortunately she doesn't have a written contract as her previous contract expired a few years ago when she was promoted but no new contract has been presented since. My daughter has most of her payslips since she started at the salon. I asked if she has her most recent p60 but her employer hasn't given her this for the most recent tax year. Does anyone have any indication on where she will stand re redundancy money? Her manager is a bully and I expect him to say as she has no contract she isn't entitled to redundancy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 23:21 - Aug 7 with 3907 viewsSussexR

I think her previous contract will still be valid. With 10 years service at age 26 I think the statutory redundancy is 1 weeks pay per completed year, up to a maximum of £468 per week. So for example if she earns £500 a week she would get 10 x 468. If she earns £200 a week sh would get 10 x 200.
Hope that helps, the above is the minimum redundancy, and it's tax free.
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 23:22 - Aug 7 with 3902 viewsessextaxiboy

A quick google suggests that she have the same rights as someone without a written contract .

The contract being that she has been going to work and getting paid for it for over two years .

There is a redundancy calculator on the government website .

I am sure there will be some experts in the field along shortly .. good luck
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 23:28 - Aug 7 with 3878 viewstommytanker

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 23:22 - Aug 7 by essextaxiboy

A quick google suggests that she have the same rights as someone without a written contract .

The contract being that she has been going to work and getting paid for it for over two years .

There is a redundancy calculator on the government website .

I am sure there will be some experts in the field along shortly .. good luck

Thanks for your replies. Its very hard not to try and get involved as this manager is a nasty piece of work. I have no doubt he will try everything to bully my daughter and her colleagues. Just trying to get as much information as possible so she doesn't go in blind. Maybe I'm being over the top but redundancy money would soften the blow for her.
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 23:38 - Aug 7 with 3851 viewskarl

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 23:28 - Aug 7 by tommytanker

Thanks for your replies. Its very hard not to try and get involved as this manager is a nasty piece of work. I have no doubt he will try everything to bully my daughter and her colleagues. Just trying to get as much information as possible so she doesn't go in blind. Maybe I'm being over the top but redundancy money would soften the blow for her.

This is from memory so may not be 100% correct.
If the business has gone bust and claims to have no funds then the government pick up the statutory payments (how much these are I'm not sure) likewise if the company refuses to honour the payments then I believe the government will make the payment and pursue the business for the money.
Don't accept non payment as she will be entitled to some recompense, she should at least ask the Citizens Advice Bureau for guidelines as I'm sure most of them will handle this on a regular basis, I think even the job centre give advice on this.
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 00:02 - Aug 8 with 3792 viewsted_hendrix

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 23:21 - Aug 7 by SussexR

I think her previous contract will still be valid. With 10 years service at age 26 I think the statutory redundancy is 1 weeks pay per completed year, up to a maximum of £468 per week. So for example if she earns £500 a week she would get 10 x 468. If she earns £200 a week sh would get 10 x 200.
Hope that helps, the above is the minimum redundancy, and it's tax free.

I'm not 100% sure you're right on the figures as I believe that age is factored into it and I stand to be corrected, the only reason I say this is after working for my Company for 34 Years I was put on redundancy notice last year and I had to re-apply and be interviewed for the job I'd been doing for 34 Years (the interview took an hour) FFS.
I was successful and kept my job however from memory after you've passed the age of 40 the amount increases and talking to other younger people at the time they weren't on the same pay out scale, Like I say I might be wrong.

Tanker, the Citizens Advise Bureau is a great tool to use if you've got enough time left, they'll get you 30 free minutes with a solicitor. Good luck to your kid mate.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 00:03 - Aug 8 with 3789 viewsN12Hoop

The absence of a written contract is irrelevant, the terms will be implied. That's the easy bit. If the hairdresser is a stand alone business (ie not part of a group) and is closing down completely then if it has gone broke they won't be able to afford the redundancy payment and so, as another poster has mentioned, the claim is made against the state ( although I don't know how it works).
If the business is just reducing staff then she is entitled to a notice payment and her redundancy. The redundancy element will be tax free. Good luck.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 00:06 - Aug 8 with 3787 viewsRamseyR

The first £30k is tax free, and there is no National Insurance to be paid from any redundancy payments made. I also found ACAS was a good support option for info, and very professional.
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 05:04 - Aug 8 with 3699 viewsloftus_upper

Redundancy pay would be half a weeks money if you are under the age of 22, and 1.5 weeks if over the age of 41.
ACAS helpline is good support: 03001231100. I am currently at risk of redundancy and they helped me.
Good luck.
Login to get fewer ads

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 06:47 - Aug 8 with 3655 viewsLblock

Contract by performance. No worries on that front.

Redundo payment at statutory levels will be honoured by Government as a fall back. Duration of service can be proved. Sorted on that front.

Boss is a bully. Everyone is entitled to have a representative at any such meeting be it one to one or group attendance. This doesn't have to be a union rep, HR, solicitor etc. It can be you, a friend, a 6ft 6 bouncer etc. Why not attend with her? Job done.

It's tough enough leaving after a long time even if it's your choice; very hard when you're forced out. Confidence can take a big dent. She'll be fine, especially if in London.

Now this part is a bit dodge. She's worked there donkeys so will no doubt have some loyal clients. A copy of the Client list would be blinding for her to get hold of but be very very very careful! Dismissal equals no redundancy. However having 30 or 40 customers you can bring with you makes you instantly employable or could be the great start to working for yourself.
Some scissors, a barrow load of peroxide and some rollers just a bonus

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 08:50 - Aug 8 with 3535 viewstommytanker

Thanks to you all. I have spoken to ACAS who have been very helpful. It is great to know strangers are willing to help. Tommy .
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 09:01 - Aug 8 with 3521 viewsKonk

Some good advice above. I know redundancy is a very stressful experience, but it can also be a blessing in disguise if you sort out another job soon after. You’ve got a lump sum of cash and it’s often the kick up the ars e that forces you to leave a job you don’t enjoy and find something more enjoyable. I pi ssed off travelling for a year, which was an amazing experience and something I'd never have done without losing my job. With a bit of luck, if you're based in London/SE, then you're usually in a decent position to find something else. Good luck with it all and don't let your daughter's boss mug her off.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 12:13 - Aug 8 with 3395 viewsderbyhoop

She may not be in a union but this is exactly the sort of thing where they can provide support and legal advice. The CAB isn't a bad fallback. Good idea to know her rights before the meeting and to make sure anybody else affected is similarly informed.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 12:15 - Aug 8 with 3388 viewsthame_hoops

the best thing you can do (although costly) is to get a lawyer's advice. you may get 30mins free?
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 13:03 - Aug 8 with 3333 viewsBrightonhoop

The Statutory provisions are ok, not brilliant, CAB do 30 mins free advice if their is still time. Good luck.
Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 13:15 - Aug 8 with 3310 viewsGloucs_R

Lots of good advice here - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/work_w/work_work_comes_to_an_end_e/work_redu

Poll: Are we staying up?

Redundancy / employment advice help needed on 16:12 - Aug 8 with 3194 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Coincidently, I attended a redundancy meeting this morning to assist my friend.

Although I was aware of the majority of items I wished to raise, I did call ACAS twenty minutes before attending after reading your lovely LFW replies to the OP.

They offered good, yet impartial advice which confirmed what I thought I already knew,but as others of said it's great to go in fully armed with the latest details of redundancy and Employment Tribunals (which since April, all ET cases have to go via ACAS first to try to reach a solution before it goes to a potentially costly tribunal).

Many thanks you lovely people.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024