Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 21:40 - Dec 17 with 10387 viewssaxbend

I realise the year's not over yet, and I'll probably make one or two more trips to the cinema before the end of 2014, but I've seen pretty much every film I have been anticipating so I am more or less settled on the best and worst of the year.

My top ten are as follows:

10. Muppets Most Wanted
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Calvary
7. Edge of Tomorrow
6. Gone Girl
5. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
4. Grand Budapest Hotel
3. The Lego Movie
2. Haider
1. Nightcrawler

Honorable mentions to:
Before I Go To Sleep (I don't want to lazily write it off as forgettable but I only remember that I enjoyed it at the time, and not very much more).
Interstellar (flawed but excellent nonetheless and a massive improvement on the highly over rated 2001: A Space Odyssey which is carried by one or two scenes with HAL and has little more than that to offer).
Starred Up (entertaining and well made, but gritty and unambitious).
St Vincent (I saw it last weekend and laughed a lot).
X-Men Days of Future Past. (Nothing like as bad as I thought it would be and an excellent way to do a handover from an old cast to a new cast in a film series. Take note, Star Trek Generations.)

I see a lot of films, but I'm usually pretty good at avoiding the bad ones altogether. I did see one or two on a whim that turned out to be rubbish, and some others that should have been good but just weren't.

They include:
The Nut Job (just a really sub-par animated film that was neither funny nor interesting)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (really badly written and such a poor follow up to the previous one- though it seems most people dismissed the first one as ordinary but loved this)
Amazing Spiderman 2. (Ruined by bad storytelling, bad dialogue and weak characters. Basically the writers droppped the ball.)
Postman Pat (How did they manage to get Postman Pat wrong???)
Godzilla ( despite being fine with the slow buildup, I struggled to stay awake during the eventual climactic action seens. Just a reall dull film all round).

I'm not including 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club (both excellent) or the absolutely awful The Wolf of Wall Street as many people consider them to be 2013 films.
Over to you.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 20:34 - Jan 14 with 991 viewscollegeranger

Worst Film of last year .........and I mean forever is "Walking On Sunshine" - think of Mamma Mia but with other naf hits from the 80's.
Cast - The Arterton girl - not Gemma the Bond girl - her freckly sister Hannah.
Leona Lewis - euchhh
Katy Brand - In swimsuit - for the love of christ we don't need to see that!
Greg Wise - Emma Thompson must have had a lean year and the Wise/Thompson household need the money.
Plot - Virtually identical to Mamma Mia apart from some sister swapping in Italy not Greece - everyone finds love - even chubby love!

Me and my missus hated every minute - unfortunately 12 year old thought it was OK and said to her 14 year old sister that she should see it and their 6 year old sister believes it to be the greatest cinematic achievement ever!! Thus we now have it on a loop on Netflix.
OT: Your best and worst films of 2014 on 20:37 - Jan 14 with 987 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Got to see Bob live at Crystal Palace when I was about 14, memorable day for me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024