Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris Shootings... 13:30 - Jan 7 with 39091 viewsThGrimRanger

Shocking.

We'll now be told by our western leaders how we mustn't let this affect our daily lives.

...but it will. The threat of having an office sub-machine-gunned will affect freedom of speech. That's because media etc will not risk possible insults to islam anymore.

They win.

TheGrimRanger

Paris Shootings... on 17:07 - Jan 8 with 4466 viewsRangersw12

Paris Shootings... on 16:48 - Jan 8 by BrianMcCarthy

It's very interesting that the profession of the people slaughtered is helping to drive the outrage throughout Europe. Journalists may turn a blind eye to lots of truths, but deliver violence on one of their craft and public condemnation will rain down on you.

Here in Ireland, Veronica Guerin fought almost a lone crusade against the drug barons with her pen. Few cared. When they shot and killed her, moral outrage was delivered from every newspaper and radio speaker, opinion pieces suddenly emerged on the evils of drugs where silence had so long reigned, the public were consumed, politicians took note, laws were rushed through. Many drug barons fell. Veronica Guerin's colleagues instrumental in their downfall.

There is little doubt in my mind that the excellent cartoons, the pictures of united newsrooms holding 'Je Suis Charlie' posters, the media frenzy are all heartfelt, and I don't wish to minimise the sincerity behind it. There is also little doubt in my mind, however, that the frenzy of news coverage, the feeling that this is an epochal moment on our recent history, would be so much less if the poor deceased were butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.

When the Oklahoma bombing or the Atlanta bombing were carried out by fundamentalists, I don't recall this level of shock, fear and/or outrage. Kill a journalist, and a real battle is on. The biggest questions in my head all day is how long will this outrage will last, how brave will the journalists be in this battle, and which will prove mightier, the pen or the sword.

"When the Oklahoma bombing or the Atlanta bombing were carried out by fundamentalists, I don't recall this level of shock, fear and/or outrage."

I think that could be down to the fact we're in an age of social media and the internet so everything is reported straight away and 1000's of more people have access to more information than they did previously

10 mins after the events we saw pics of them executing the police officer which makes things seem very real

Also I seem to remember this sort of outrage for 9/11 , 07/07 , Lee Rigby etc
Paris Shootings... on 17:34 - Jan 8 with 4409 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Paris Shootings... on 17:07 - Jan 8 by Rangersw12

"When the Oklahoma bombing or the Atlanta bombing were carried out by fundamentalists, I don't recall this level of shock, fear and/or outrage."

I think that could be down to the fact we're in an age of social media and the internet so everything is reported straight away and 1000's of more people have access to more information than they did previously

10 mins after the events we saw pics of them executing the police officer which makes things seem very real

"I think that could be down to the fact we're in an age of social media and the internet so everything is reported straight away and 1000's of more people have access to more information than they did previously

10 mins after the events we saw pics of them executing the police officer which makes things seem very real"

I think you're right, that's certainly a factor alright.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Paris Shootings... on 18:37 - Jan 8 with 4334 viewsEalingRanger

Paris Shootings... on 17:07 - Jan 8 by Rangersw12

The internet and the 24 hour news media, as a general rule, make the world seem a far nastier place than it actually is.
Paris Shootings... on 21:10 - Jan 8 with 4214 viewsShotKneesHoop

Paris Shootings... on 18:37 - Jan 8 by EalingRanger

The internet and the 24 hour news media, as a general rule, make the world seem a far nastier place than it actually is.

The world always was the same nasty place, it's just that nowadays news does'nt get hushed up, or filtered, or changed quite as often.

Dunkirk wouldn't have been made out to be some sort of victory if 24 hour news was around then.

And the miner's strikes might have told a different story with time stamped video's

And maybe the Elm Guest House in Barnes might not have been allowed to exist as long as it did, because just whistling Bachelor Boy in those days wasn't enough to get the Police to act.

As long as Private Eye is published, there'll always be enough dirt dished on the right cuplrits.

The internet and 24 hour news media does allow some of the truth to surface, which is a good thing.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Paris Shootings... on 21:22 - Jan 8 with 4197 viewsWanderR

Used to live about 15 mins away from the Charlie Hebdo offices. Myself and several other Paris-based R's used to watch games in an expat football bar at the end of the road.

Current location: OX10

Paris Shootings... on 21:42 - Jan 8 with 4159 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Am I allowed to feel worried and disturbed about the amount of violent deaths carried out in the name of "that religion"?

I don't even feel as though I'm allowed to mention it by name.

I feel guilty even thinking of it.

I'm best off worrying about how much salt is in my tin of Heinz Tomato Soup, it'll take me twenty minutes to do the math from the obfuscated ingredient label, but hey, I might just live three seconds longer!

That's if I don't get beheaded by some "religious nutter".

Could do with a cup of tea after all that...
Paris Shootings... on 21:44 - Jan 8 with 4156 viewsingeminate

Paris Shootings... on 09:24 - Jan 8 by Discodroids

Its not safe to be jewish in certain parts of east london.

my old man is one of a few left, were rarer than wild life on nazi occupied channel islands during the war. swastikers on his door, shit thru his letterbox .

the bengal's gang version of a bobby zamora brace.

'muslim only 'areas stickers everywhere in east ham ,plaistow, upton park demanding muslim only teachers in state schools, demanding what should be taught, demanding segregation of sex, demanding 'education' of 'effeminate looking brothers you see in the street'..all going on right now in east london..

dont take my word for it .take the word of primary school teachers working under these conditions.

13th century politics .

its on our doorstep. its in the here and now.a black hole collapsing in on itself.

while our politicians peruse the meat rack and dine at the hawksmoore.

all looking the other way or reading their ladybird book of janet and john appeasment/apologist politics

about these 'try before you buy jihadists ' that now want to come home as it got a bit rich for their blood.

what next ....a 'bogoff' on Ricin ??

i hope they havent got e bay accounts , can you imagine their feedback rating??. always sending their AK 47'S back cause it doesnt look like the picture.

ive read over 2oo of the cu nts have already returned. 40 have been arrested.
the other 160 odd are being de programmed by trinny and susanah.

new labours view...on jihadists

a human rights lawyer...

astonishing. starts off smug then gets ripped a new one.

Andrew Niel...

"the niceties of international law are dripping roast for lawyers such as yourself, but they dont keep us safe on the streets of this country."

bingo.bango.bongo.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2015 11:35]

Strange how we all see things differently!!

Just watched the vid - thought Andrew ( who I like) came over like a rambling drunk at last orders while the islington snob ( who I'm not keen on) came across as calm, reasoned and made sense.

Funny old world!

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Paris Shootings... on 21:54 - Jan 8 with 4137 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Paris Shootings... on 21:44 - Jan 8 by ingeminate

Just watched the vid - thought Andrew ( who I like) came over like a rambling drunk at last orders while the islington snob ( who I'm not keen on) came across as calm, reasoned and made sense.

Funny old world!

She came across as the smarmy Labour c@nt that she and the rest of the Labour party are and Andrew came across as a rightly concerned citizen.
Login to get fewer ads

Paris Shootings... on 22:26 - Jan 8 with 4069 viewsTearsOfaClown

Paris Shootings... on 21:54 - Jan 8 by Hoop_Du_Jour

She came across as the smarmy Labour c@nt that she and the rest of the Labour party are and Andrew came across as a rightly concerned citizen.

I with you on this - trouble is Parliament is full of snakes and weasels like her.
Paris Shootings... on 23:33 - Jan 8 with 4007 viewsOakR

Paris Shootings... on 21:44 - Jan 8 by ingeminate

Funny old world!

I actually agree with you. I don't particularly like either of them, but I thought he was poor and she actually answered well.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Paris Shootings... on 02:31 - Jan 9 with 3955 viewsFDC

Paris Shootings... on 16:48 - Jan 8 by BrianMcCarthy

It's very interesting that the profession of the people slaughtered is helping to drive the outrage throughout Europe. Journalists may turn a blind eye to lots of truths, but deliver violence on one of their craft and public condemnation will rain down on you.

Here in Ireland, Veronica Guerin fought almost a lone crusade against the drug barons with her pen. Few cared. When they shot and killed her, moral outrage was delivered from every newspaper and radio speaker, opinion pieces suddenly emerged on the evils of drugs where silence had so long reigned, the public were consumed, politicians took note, laws were rushed through. Many drug barons fell. Veronica Guerin's colleagues instrumental in their downfall.

There is little doubt in my mind that the excellent cartoons, the pictures of united newsrooms holding 'Je Suis Charlie' posters, the media frenzy are all heartfelt, and I don't wish to minimise the sincerity behind it. There is also little doubt in my mind, however, that the frenzy of news coverage, the feeling that this is an epochal moment on our recent history, would be so much less if the poor deceased were butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.

When the Oklahoma bombing or the Atlanta bombing were carried out by fundamentalists, I don't recall this level of shock, fear and/or outrage. Kill a journalist, and a real battle is on. The biggest questions in my head all day is how long will this outrage will last, how brave will the journalists be in this battle, and which will prove mightier, the pen or the sword.

Totally.

It's also depressing to see how nuance, once more, goes out the window: it seems that the popular narrative is unable to condemn the massacre without elevating what was in truth a fairly nasty, racist publication as some kind of bastion of liberal freedoms.

It's possible to say that without condoning cold blooded murder. Je ne suis pas Charlie.

As an aside, I keep seeing all these cartoons about how the pen is mightier than the sword. But not as mighty as drones, apparently.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2015 3:23]
Paris Shootings... on 14:17 - Jan 9 with 3781 viewsloftboy

Not looking good at the moment in Paris. No doubt London or Madrid will be attacked again soon.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Paris Shootings... on 14:21 - Jan 9 with 3755 viewsrunningman75

Paris Shootings... on 14:17 - Jan 9 by loftboy

Not looking good at the moment in Paris. No doubt London or Madrid will be attacked again soon.

I'm sure Cameron will be regretting Tory cuts in policing/army at this rate. Seems to be more shootings in Paris today. Very worrying.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2015 14:22]
Paris Shootings... on 14:30 - Jan 9 with 3713 viewssix_foot_two

Paris Shootings... on 02:31 - Jan 9 by FDC

Totally.

It's also depressing to see how nuance, once more, goes out the window: it seems that the popular narrative is unable to condemn the massacre without elevating what was in truth a fairly nasty, racist publication as some kind of bastion of liberal freedoms.

It's possible to say that without condoning cold blooded murder. Je ne suis pas Charlie.

As an aside, I keep seeing all these cartoons about how the pen is mightier than the sword. But not as mighty as drones, apparently.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2015 3:23]

Are you suggesting that those artists deserved it ?

What have drones got to do with it ?
Paris Shootings... on 14:32 - Jan 9 with 3710 viewsBrightonhoop

Be vigilant, wherever you are.
Paris Shootings... on 14:33 - Jan 9 with 3701 viewsJAPRANGERS

5 hostages taken in a kosher market now with some said to be gravely injured.
Paris Shootings... on 14:48 - Jan 9 with 3663 viewsrunningman75

Paris Shootings... on 14:33 - Jan 9 by JAPRANGERS

I am concerned the gut reaction will be a rise in the far right both in the UK and France. Unfortunately Islamic fundamentalism will lead to distrust of Muslims. I remember travelling on the tubes after 7/7 and if people looked vaguely Islamic people were wary about sitting next them.
Paris Shootings... on 14:55 - Jan 9 with 3646 viewsLblock

Paris Shootings... on 14:48 - Jan 9 by runningman75

I am concerned the gut reaction will be a rise in the far right both in the UK and France. Unfortunately Islamic fundamentalism will lead to distrust of Muslims. I remember travelling on the tubes after 7/7 and if people looked vaguely Islamic people were wary about sitting next them.

I remember after those 7/7 bombs being on the Piccadilly line heading into London early one morning.
A reasonably quiet carriage.
At Hammersmith a Sikh fella got on with a rucksack - he was in gym gear and obviously heading there on his way to work.
These two Polish fellas looked at one another, got up and got into the next carriage and walked to the far end of it.
Outstanding ignorance!!!

Watching the rolling news and one interview with one of the "any old expert who can give a quote to Kay Burley" lot said on the phone that only a fraction of the battle hardened ISIS sympathizers have returned to the UK so far. When they do he expects to see similar scenes in UK major cities.
Put's Harry's pressers into perspective --- we've far more to worry about!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Paris Shootings... on 15:03 - Jan 9 with 3624 viewsBushman

Essential listening if you want to hear some of the reasons how we got here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wwqcp
[Post edited 9 Jan 2015 15:05]

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Paris Shootings... on 15:05 - Jan 9 with 3615 viewsBromleyHoop

Paris Shootings... on 14:33 - Jan 9 by JAPRANGERS

They've killed some Jews and are holding other Jews hostage? But I thought this was a well planned 'false flag' operation by Israeli secret services. I guess I just didn't join up the dots. Oh well there goes another ridiculous anti Semitic conspiracy theory.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Paris Shootings... on 15:32 - Jan 9 with 3532 viewskensalriser

FDC - got any specific examples of CH being racist?

Wikipedia seems to disagree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Paris Shootings... on 15:33 - Jan 9 with 3523 viewsHayesender

Paris Shootings... on 14:55 - Jan 9 by Lblock

I remember after those 7/7 bombs being on the Piccadilly line heading into London early one morning.
A reasonably quiet carriage.
At Hammersmith a Sikh fella got on with a rucksack - he was in gym gear and obviously heading there on his way to work.
These two Polish fellas looked at one another, got up and got into the next carriage and walked to the far end of it.
Outstanding ignorance!!!

Watching the rolling news and one interview with one of the "any old expert who can give a quote to Kay Burley" lot said on the phone that only a fraction of the battle hardened ISIS sympathizers have returned to the UK so far. When they do he expects to see similar scenes in UK major cities.
Put's Harry's pressers into perspective --- we've far more to worry about!

There was a story last week saying how our border police will stop anyone leaving the country who hasn't paid their TV licence.

Yet we can't stop these dangerous cnts from returning!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Paris Shootings... on 15:40 - Jan 9 with 3494 viewsSpiritofGregory

Paris Shootings... on 14:48 - Jan 9 by runningman75

Time that Europe had leaders with a backbone instead of self-serving cowards.

This is the sign of the times - deal with it. Anyone that wants to live in European countries live by our rules - end of. Our leaders instead of having the courage to place necessary boundaries prefer to take the cowardly route and not talk about the issues. Any realistic person knows that this has been a long time coming.

People need to learn from history.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2015 15:52]
Paris Shootings... on 15:45 - Jan 9 with 3478 viewsSpiritofGregory

Paris Shootings... on 15:52 - Jan 7 by Maggsinho

Most of the inmates have been released without charge. Not only that but it's become a propaganda own goal and rallying tool for islamic extremism.

No rallying call is needed, they are taught from birth that Islam is above any law. The sooner we realise that the better, stop trying to appease them.
Paris Shootings... on 15:59 - Jan 9 with 3440 viewsJAPRANGERS

Paris Shootings... on 15:45 - Jan 9 by SpiritofGregory

No rallying call is needed, they are taught from birth that Islam is above any law. The sooner we realise that the better, stop trying to appease them.

True but you are not allowed to voice such opinions in our brave new PC world..........
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024